Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

ineptmule posted:

I really like random turn lengths in games. I'd say maybe at the end of turn 4 you could start to roll.

The idea of increasingly freaky monsters turning up is great though.

My one game that I've played I failed to grasp that a) picking up treasure is an action and b) models with treasure move at half speed, so both sides swiped their counters at light speed and the carriers hosed off in just a couple of turns. The speed penalty is clearly very important and will make the game last a bit longer, as well as giving a more realistic chance of nabbing it from each other by punking the treasure grabbers.

I also had an awesome couple of turns where an Infantry dude splattered a Crossbowman in close combat, got whittled down to 1 health by enemy shooting, but then every shot made against him missed and he went on to murder the other warband's apprentice. :black101:

I've been playtesting a creature escalation table for a couple of weeks and have a few other goons trying it out too. There's an old version in one of my posts a couple of pages back; I'll put the update here sometime when I'm not in my phone. I wrote more sophisticated monster behaviors, too.

Re spell/kill experience: we play 20 for spells, and wizards get non-Apprentice/non-Wizard kill experience only if they do it with melee or ranged attacks rather than spells. Works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I like that idea because it gives the wizard incentive to buff himself instead of handing out buffs. Possessed muscle wizard coming to bust you up!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm thinking I'm going to do that with my shamefully yellow peril-y Far East themed soothsayer wizard. Use my XP to crank fight, HP and Will and roll right up alongside his Steppe mercenaries to punch you to death. With Knife Hands Technique (counts as sword and dagger) he's up to fight +5/+6 after 3 games, +5/+8 self buffed with Combat Awareness... and poo poo if I buy him the +2 fight HW and +1 fight dagger do those stack up to +5/+11?

:smugwizard:

E: the nice side benefit being that kind of fight stat makes you practically invulnerable to nonmagic shooting.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 29, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to do that with my shamefully yellow peril-y Far East themed soothsayer wizard. Use my XP to crank fight, HP and Will and roll right up alongside his Steppe mercenaries to punch you to death. With Knife Hands Technique (counts as sword and dagger) he's up to fight +5/+6 after 3 games, +5/+8 self buffed with Combat Awareness... and poo poo if I buy him the +2 fight HW and +1 fight dagger do those stack up to +5/+11?

:smugwizard:

E: the nice side benefit being that kind of fight stat makes you practically invulnerable to nonmagic shooting.

Yeah I have a Soothsayer muscle wizard with +5 Fight (+7 buffed) and a Greatsword. Apprentice has a dagger and is therefore +4/+6. Fun as gently caress. And I have Bone Dart to counts-as bow and arrow.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

jodai posted:

I like that idea because it gives the wizard incentive to buff himself instead of handing out buffs. Possessed muscle wizard coming to bust you up!

drat, now I want to field a muscle wizard and cast "Fist" all night long.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So soldiers have one gear slot-- does swapping out magic for mundane gear count against that? Like if I give a marksman a magic crossbow, can he also swap in a magic sword, magic mail, and still carry a potion?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Otisburg posted:

So soldiers have one gear slot-- does swapping out magic for mundane gear count against that? Like if I give a marksman a magic crossbow, can he also swap in a magic sword, magic mail, and still carry a potion?

He can have one piece of gear period. Per the author's FAQ thread, think of it less as physical carrying space than having a soul strong enough to bond with one magical artifact. The metaphor kind of breaks down with Grenades and stuff but what can you do!

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
The Illusionist spell, Beauty, defines humans as anything not in the bestiary. The War Dog is not in the bestiary. Is the puppy people? :3:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

My copy arrived! And now I'm genuinely tempted to buy lego minifigs to make some warbands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The game is written a little colloquially so I can see where that might not be the intent. OTOH it's hardly gamebreaking and it's funny to think that the puppy won't bite pretty peeps.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So tonight my opponent was using Leap to throw his treasure carriers 10". This sounds sketchy, but nothing explicitly was against it. Is there an opposed Will roll that could be used or are his own guys totally fine with being thrown 30 feet?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

So tonight my opponent was using Leap to throw his treasure carriers 10". This sounds sketchy, but nothing explicitly was against it. Is there an opposed Will roll that could be used or are his own guys totally fine with being thrown 30 feet?

Seems like a legit and clever play, just don't let him "forget" the no further actions this turn rider and activate them in the soldier phase.

Honestly seems a little easier to deal with than just invisible-izing a treasure runner, as treasure nabbing tactics go.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I posted these over in the fantasy art thread; but I think they could provide inspiration for Frostgrave modelling and painting.

No Pun Intended posted:

Jakub Rebelka I quite like his gritty fantasy style.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

is there a necromancer that can summon zombies and stuff? that would be p cool

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

is there a necromancer that can summon zombies and stuff? that would be p cool

Yeah, Necromancy is one of the schools. You can summon a zombie, control undead, make bones pop out of the ground and trap enemies, shoot bones, drain life, that sort of thing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

You can even drain the life of your own warband members. But they get pretty upset about that and leave if you do :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You can even drain the life of your own warband members. But they get pretty upset about that and leave if you do :(

PROTIP: If you want an emergency bloodbag for your Necromancer, keep a war dog around. They're cheap as chips to replace. I mean it's a dick move to literally steal the life out of a puppy, but Necromancy isn't exactly a high and noble road.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
use a zombie dog model and its all good

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Enchanters are the best because they get to summon constructs and you can use this:

http://www.microworldgames.com/products/dwarf-fortress-golem

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For real the author did a good job giving every school one or two signature spells that give them some novel uberpower. It'll take a lot of play to tell if it's asymetrically "balanced," but none of the schools' spell lists make me go "Oh man you got left out." I think I'm liking Soothsayer because Reveal Secret is a crazy good campaign bonus, Combat Awareness is a stellar buff, and Mind Control is off the drat chain.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm falling more and more in love with the Witch set. Wall of Fog is a fantastic LoS blocker in a game that rewards being able to manipulate LoS, the potion per battle is great because potions have some amazing effects, and even the poison dart is really strong when you get a good shot at a spellcaster.

e: I'm also enjoying my 4ground order so for the sake of this post this is a witches' hut. The way that the laser burns are incorporated into the design to provide the paint job with shading is great.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that house is so cute :3:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am a big nerd and typed up a thing:

Mounts:

Expensive to maintain and of niche utility over the rubble, ice, and deep snow of the Frozen City, mounts are fairly uncommon. Some warbands do find the extra mobility in certain situations worth the tradeoffs, however.

Mounts are considered soldiers in all respects, including taking up a spot in your wizard’s warband, with the following exceptions: they cannot carry treasure or use items, save for horseshoes and barding (warhorses), nor can they climb walls and similar surfaces. Barding may be enchanted like standard soldier armor.

A soldier that is in contact with a mount in its warband can spend an action to mount. Remove the rider figure from the table. A mounted figure can spend an action to dismount, and is placed adjacent to the mount. You should have a figure to represent both conditions. A mount cannot perform any actions or movement later in the same turn it is mounted.

A mounted soldier’s speed is increased by +2, to a maximum of the mount's speed stat, and both models activate and move together. A mounted soldier may add his mount’s Fight attribute to his own in combat. They count as one model for movement and forcing/initiating combat; however an enemy model can target either of them in combat or with ranged attacks.

A mounted figure must dismount before climbing or picking up treasure. A model carrying treasure can mount again, however the mounted model is considered Encumbered, and if it moves off the table, neither model can return.

If a mount is killed the rider immediately becomes dismounted. Place the rider figure in contact with the mount’s base before removing it from the table. If a either mount or rider becomes Wounded, the penalty applies to the Mounted model, however if a riding figure who is not himself Wounded dismounts a Wounded horse, it no longer suffers the Wounded condition.

Riding Horse:
Move 8 | Fight -1 | Shoot +0 | Armor 10 | Will -1 | Health 12 | Cost 80 GC | Notes: Large, Mount, Cannot carry treasure or items.

Warhorse:
Move 8 | Fight+2 | Shoot +0 |Armor 11 | Will +2 |Health 12 |Cost 160 GC | Notes: Large, Mount, Barding, Cannot carry treasure or items.

Magic Items:
Items enchanted for the benefit of a mount are exceedingly rare, and must always be sought out by the warband and purchased. They are never found randomly in treasure.
Magic Barding: +1 Armor, 400gc
Horseshoes of impact: +2 damage, and may Push Back an additional 1” on successful Combat, 500gc
Horseshoes of speed: +1 to Speed attribute. +1 to bonus speed for rider when mounted, 400gc

E:
Base Resource: Stables
Effects: Allows the wizard to keep one mount in his warband above the normal warband limit.
Purchase Price: 500gc

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 30, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
If I want a Muscle Wizard to cast Fist while kicking rear end and taking names, which school should I go with? Enchanter?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Not a viking posted:

If I want a Muscle Wizard to cast Fist while kicking rear end and taking names, which school should I go with? Enchanter?

Enchanter and Soothsayer seem to have great spells for that, but make sure to take the Sigilist's "Push" so you can knock dudes around. Maybe L:eap from the Summoner too?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Elemental Hammer is the most "I Cast Fist" spell in the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Muscle is a valid element. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Not a viking posted:

Enchanter is best for raw power as you can get up to +7 fight right out of the box. (Base, hw and dagger, enchant both, strength.)

Soothsayer ain't bad with Combat Awareness and Willpower.

Summoner is also an option, with Posession and Leap to get around.

Thaumaturgy is a good dip with the above if its aligned, for Shield and Heal.

Of course all the spells I mentioned stack. :smugwizard:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just you wait, when he's done buffing flexing, he is gonna rip poo poo up.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I don't like Enchanter because he's almost certainly better off using those buff spells on soldiers.

I went Soothsayer for Combat Awareness and themed him as a man so glamorous that sentient creatures hesitate to attack him (Beauty) or simply fall to their knees and swear fealty on the spot (Mind Control). He also does sweet vaults (Leap) and shoots his longbow (Bone Dart) and nowadays has 5+ other spells I got from Grimoires and never cast.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

UK Frostgoons, Wargames Illustrated are hosting a Frostgrave Day in Nottingham on November 28th. £30 tickets, limited to 24 spaces. Could be interesting.

http://wargamesillustrated.co.uk/event/frostgrave-day/

I may end up going down, anyone else up for it?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I am a big nerd and typed up a thing:

Mounts:

Expensive to maintain and of niche utility over the rubble, ice, and deep snow of the Frozen City, mounts are fairly uncommon. Some warbands do find the extra mobility in certain situations worth the tradeoffs, however.

Mounts are considered soldiers in all respects, including taking up a spot in your wizard’s warband, with the following exceptions: they cannot carry treasure or use items, save for horseshoes and barding (warhorses), nor can they climb walls and similar surfaces. Barding may be enchanted like standard soldier armor.

A soldier that is in contact with a mount in its warband can spend an action to mount. Remove the rider figure from the table. A mounted figure can spend an action to dismount, and is placed adjacent to the mount. You should have a figure to represent both conditions. A mount cannot perform any actions or movement later in the same turn it is mounted.

A mounted soldier’s speed is increased by +2, to a maximum of the mount's speed stat, and both models activate and move together. A mounted soldier may add his mount’s Fight attribute to his own in combat. They count as one model for movement and forcing/initiating combat; however an enemy model can target either of them in combat or with ranged attacks.

A mounted figure must dismount before climbing or picking up treasure. A model carrying treasure can mount again, however the mounted model is considered Encumbered, and if it moves off the table, neither model can return.

If a mount is killed the rider immediately becomes dismounted. Place the rider figure in contact with the mount’s base before removing it from the table. If a either mount or rider becomes Wounded, the penalty applies to the Mounted model, however if a riding figure who is not himself Wounded dismounts a Wounded horse, it no longer suffers the Wounded condition.

Riding Horse:
Move 8 | Fight -1 | Shoot +0 | Armor 10 | Will -1 | Health 12 | Cost 80 GC | Notes: Large, Mount, Cannot carry treasure or items.

Warhorse:
Move 8 | Fight+2 | Shoot +0 |Armor 11 | Will +2 |Health 12 |Cost 160 GC | Notes: Large, Mount, Barding, Cannot carry treasure or items.

Magic Items:
Items enchanted for the benefit of a mount are exceedingly rare, and must always be sought out by the warband and purchased. They are never found randomly in treasure.
Magic Barding: +1 Armor, 400gc
Horseshoes of impact: +2 damage, and may Push Back an additional 1” on successful Combat, 500gc
Horseshoes of speed: +1 to Speed attribute. +1 to bonus speed for rider when mounted, 400gc

E:
Base Resource: Stables
Effects: Allows the wizard to keep one mount in his warband above the normal warband limit.
Purchase Price: 500gc

I think these are a little cumbersome. I had written some mount rules as well, although I haven't tried them out because everyone I've talked to says that mounts have no place in Frostgrave :( I tried to get my wife to test them with me last weekend but she wasn't buying it.

Anyway, here's what I had:
Mount (+20 gc)
May be permanently purchased for any wizard/apprentice/soldier capable of carrying items. Doesn't take up an item slot.
Mounted character gains +2 Move, +2 Health.
Mounted character gains Large.
Mounted character is not slowed while carrying treasure.
Mounted character must spend an extra action to pick up treasure.
Mounted character cannot climb.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I already forgot what thread it's in, but I just read where someone said the Age of Sigmar Sigmarines are going for dirt cheap on eBay (like $2 a model or some such)...and since they're boring, faceless, soulless automatons anyways, I'm debating getting one or two sometime down the road here, for use as a metal or stone statue to be animated by an Enchanter in FG. :c00l:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've been using my Cryx warjacks as medium/large constructs that I had laying around because no one got into Warmahordes with me. At least they're finally getting used :gbsmith:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I already forgot what thread it's in, but I just read where someone said the Age of Sigmar Sigmarines are going for dirt cheap on eBay (like $2 a model or some such)...and since they're boring, faceless, soulless automatons anyways, I'm debating getting one or two sometime down the road here, for use as a metal or stone statue to be animated by an Enchanter in FG. :c00l:

Malal gave me one as a joke. I'm going to use it as a testbed for weathering powders and technical paints and have him be a disgusting emotionless zealot butcher miniboss.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That is correct! I just impulse-bought a 10-pack of hammery-flavored sigmarines for $18.50 plus shipping. So AoS isn't a total loss!*

* :siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Can someone explain the advantage a Group Activation has over a Normal Activation? Reading just the book I assumed Group was the only way to get the other 3 guys going in the wiz/apprentice phase but looking at the FAQ they both do the same thing except Group forces all of your first actions to be Move. Almost seems like a penalty to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

Can someone explain the advantage a Group Activation has over a Normal Activation? Reading just the book I assumed Group was the only way to get the other 3 guys going in the wiz/apprentice phase but looking at the FAQ they both do the same thing except Group forces all of your first actions to be Move. Almost seems like a penalty to me.

I assumed it was like you said, until I just brought up the FAQ and sure enough you can do it either way, even in the wizard/apprentice phase. It does seem like 99% of the time it would be more advantageous to just activate each figure normally, so I'm not sure what the purpose of having the "option" is.

Sulecrist posted:

I think these are a little cumbersome. I had written some mount rules as well, although I haven't tried them out because everyone I've talked to says that mounts have no place in Frostgrave :( I tried to get my wife to test them with me last weekend but she wasn't buying it.

Harsh! :(

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I assumed it was like you said, until I just brought up the FAQ and sure enough you can do it either way, even in the wizard/apprentice phase. It does seem like 99% of the time it would be more advantageous to just activate each figure normally, so I'm not sure what the purpose of having the "option" is.

I thought this too. Anyway, the advantages are (a) convenience and (b) outnumbering bonuses.

quote:

Harsh! :(

Yeah :( Mounts are sweet and I really like the image of the imperious lord or brooding wizard riding slowly through the streets as his henchmen sweep the buildings nearby. Even if horses aren't exactly appropriate, giant spiders and dogsleds and direwolves and stuff could fit nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dr. Gargunza posted:

That is correct! I just impulse-bought a 10-pack of hammery-flavored sigmarines for $18.50 plus shipping. So AoS isn't a total loss!*

* :siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:

you're indirectly supporting sigmor!

*slowly begins orbiting you and starts to vibrate*