Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hey, so anyone who wants that sweet sweet fur collar on the bear armour from the concept art, I made a lovely mod that puts it in - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/559/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Fire on high level mobs takes forever, that sounds like a terrible idea. Plus I think that Arachas mob might fight with additional smaller bugs which will also stomp you 20 levels under.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I FINALLY finished this game, I got the ending where where Ciri becomes a witcher. The only thing i'm really confused about, and impressed with, is I have no idea how my choices led to that. Is there anywhere that has some kind of list or chart that tells you what choices effect the ending you get?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There is. There are several decisions for you to make in regards to how you treat Ciri through the game. If you make a bunch of bad parenting choices, Ciri dies at the end. For example, the snowball fight is a good dad decision; so is wrecking Avellac'h's lab. If you take Ciri to meet the Emperor, she becomes the Empress of Nilfgaard instead of a Witcher assuming she survives the White Frost.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
ending spoiler stuff oh so basically about the stuff she flashed back about, like the snowball fight and going with her to bury Skall. She flashed back about both of those things when she wen through the portal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah. Some at least, I don't remember everything from that cutscene.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I just finished the Last Wish. Kinda wanna just get into the saga books, but now that there's an official translation for Sword of Destiny, I'm torn. Thoughts?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't like Sword of Destiny very much, but Geralt does meet Ciri in it

also Dudu I think

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That cutscene should recap every relevant decision, and Empress also depends on how you deal with Mad Rad.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One thing I didn't like about the Act III was That Geralt, this witcher that knew all about black arts and has all this experience looks like a dumb grandpa trying to use a computer compared to pretty much everyone else at the end. It just seemed really jarring after playing Witcher 2 and the first half of Witcher 3. He always seems to know a little something about EVERYTHING and to appear so clueless at the end was weird. I also would have liked a lot more explanations on the "dimensions" that you could teleport between. I didn't understand if they were supposed to be different worlds, different universes, or different time periods on the same world.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

ending spoiler stuff oh so basically about the stuff she flashed back about, like the snowball fight and going with her to bury Skall. She flashed back about both of those things when she wen through the portal

There are five decisions to be made. To get one of the good endings you must do at least three of the below:

1. Snowball fight.
2. Refuse Emhyr's money if you visit him.
3. Let Ciri talk with the Lodge alone.
4. Trash Avallach's lab.
5. Bury Skjall and defend his honor.

And that's it, really.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One thing I didn't like about the Act III was That Geralt, this witcher that knew all about black arts and has all this experience looks like a dumb grandpa trying to use a computer compared to pretty much everyone else at the end. It just seemed really jarring after playing Witcher 2 and the first half of Witcher 3. He always seems to know a little something about EVERYTHING and to appear so clueless at the end was weird. I also would have liked a lot more explanations on the "dimensions" that you could teleport between. I didn't understand if they were supposed to be different worlds, different universes, or different time periods on the same world.

It's different universes. Ciri has visited the court of King Arthur and had dinner in our France, as well as the aforementioned trip to Cyberpunk.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fishstick posted:

I'm glad I simulated a new W2 save on my NG+ now that I knew what the choices meant - I did the Reardon Manor sidequest just to get it off the list, got there. "Wait, I don't remember all these traps being here last time? Holy poo poo it's Letho!"

Try running a new dxsetup? Its in the Witcher 3 folder/_Commonredist/directx folder or one of its subfolders. Run dxsetup, then restart and a give it a go. I dont know what version you are running, but on GoG when I upgraded, that fixed it for me (along with the vcredist and .net framework installs)

Edit: Book people: what's the deal with school of the viper? Ingame Cat school is referred to have uh.. interesting, aggressive witchers, but Viper school never seems to get mentioned much - neither does Griffin actually. The W3 wikia is scant on information about the Viper school. I ask this mostly because Viper school is never really brought up, but now that Letho is in my game, he seemed reluctant to go to Kaer Morhan - is this due to what happened in W2, or a longstanding viper school issue?

W2 spoilers Letho, and his two mates (and a third, who appears right at the end of W1, is never named, and never spoken of again) are the remnants of the Viper school, the only school in Nilfgaard. The school fell apart/was destroyed, kind of like the Wolf school, and the Witchers went their separate ways. Eventually Emhyr hires them to assassinate the northern kings, promising to rebuild the school after they do.

I don't recall any specific animosity between the schools, but given Letho killed your employer, fought you several times, kidnapped Triss (and then rescued her) and was generally a right pain in the arse, it's no real surprise he wouldn't want to just stroll up and convince all your buddies that he's a swell guy and they should all be roomies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt is not the chosen one and it's cool. Yennefer is smarter than him, Vesemir is more experienced and wiser, Ciri is more powerful. Geralt just happens to be the main character this time around.

JetsGuy posted:

So I just finished the Last Wish. Kinda wanna just get into the saga books, but now that there's an official translation for Sword of Destiny, I'm torn. Thoughts?

Sword of Destiny is the best book and it's required reading for the saga. You will be confused without it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like Sword of Destiny very much, but Geralt does meet Ciri in it

Look at how wrong your opinion is. (I felt the same way when the only version I'd read was the fan translation, actually.)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I let Triss go at the end of the Now or Never quest. Then during the Dangerous Game quest, I found a statuette. Apparently the only person capable of checking this out is Triss. Is the quest gone forever, or can I ask her about it later?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You'll get another chance much later.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

You'll get another chance much later.

It broke for me doing it this wayn. I had the same thing happen where I found a second statuette, had Triss free the guy, but the quest glitched and has everything checked but never processed it as done.

Also thanks for the advice on the books.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Do we know exactly how the recipe random drops work?

I'm on my 2nd run and doing an alchemy build, so I rushed to the various alchemists in Velen and bought all the recipes they had. I was hoping I'd be ahead of the game, and would start getting enhanced versions earlier. Instead, I just don't get alchemy recipe drops at all. I assume once I get to a certain level, the game will let enhanced recipes drop, so I'll start getting them again?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yeah, Ciri is the chosen one. And you could easily argue the books are really about her and not Geralt.

And I think all the parts where Geralt doesn't know about "a thing" are for the players benefit. He actually knows a ton of poo poo about a ton of topics.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So on NG+, the end of the Novigrad section where you play as Ciri appears to be impossible for me, because Whoreson's guards randomly like to two-shot her.

edit: disregard, I'm bad, just got past it.

CVagts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crappy Jack posted:

It's different universes. Ciri has visited the court of King Arthur and had dinner in our France, as well as the aforementioned trip to Cyberpunk.

I can't believe that one dude in this thread wants Ciri to only teleport to other dimensions that are just that look like the current Witcher world when you have the chance to do that stuff! Does one of the things she says when you talk to her indicate she goes to our France? I'd love a game of playing as Ciri dimension hopping to all sorts of radically different worlds like that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

Yeah, Ciri is the chosen one. And you could easily argue the books are really about her and not Geralt.

And I think all the parts where Geralt doesn't know about "a thing" are for the players benefit. He actually knows a ton of poo poo about a ton of topics.

Being the Chosen One loving sucks in this universe (multiverse?), too.

Geralt not knowing that much about all the weird inter-sphere stuff is consistent though. Very few people know much about that.

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe that one dude in this thread wants Ciri to only teleport to other dimensions that are just that look like the current Witcher world when you have the chance to do that stuff! Does one of the things she says when you talk to her indicate she goes to our France? I'd love a game of playing as Ciri dimension hopping to all sorts of radically different worlds like that.

More than one person feels that way.

It would stop being special if she did it constantly. It needs to be used sparingly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Sharmat posted:

More than one person feels that way.

It would stop being special if she did it constantly. It needs to be used sparingly.

Well hopefully they'll make a bad Ciri game that you boring nerds can play alongside the good Ciri game where I get to dimension hop all over the place :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If it's another 100+ hour long epic there could be enough universe hopping poo poo in it to fill a more conventional game and still be a minority of the play time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We have to consider the possibility that Ciri will be a character in the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. It's possible that her mention of this universe was not just an easteregg, but that CDPR could use Ciri's dimension hopping try to introduce other franchises they want to develop. If anyone could pull something like this off, it would be CDPR.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you are a cyber-cop in 2077, she should be a street witness who also ends up starting the latest medieval fashion trend.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think meeting Ciri would be an easter egg itself, rather than her being a major character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

I think meeting Ciri would be an easter egg itself, rather than her being a major character.

Well that's what I think too, but I'm just saying, we know very little about Cyberpunk 2077 and nothing about the direction of the Witcher franchise. Having her as a supporting character int 2077 could be the gateway to a Ciri game taking place in multiple dimensions.

Think about it. In W3, there's 3 very different areas that you end up fast traveling between. Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige all fit thematically as different regions in the same world, but there's no reason they have to. A game where you play as Ciri could have 3 areas where one is a scifi setting, one is a fantasy setting, and one is our world in the modern day. If each of these areas had their own well-written stories and characters, and there were interdimensional events linking the stories together from Ciri's perspective, it could be really cool.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That would be really weird and I think might dilute the atmosphere a bit too much, but whatever, CDPR haven't failed me yet.

Except with Iorveth and Saskia.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This gets compared to Dragon Age a lot so my comparison is that while this game has a better written story I still like Dragon Ages setting better. Also the normal people are written atrociously. Honestly if I lived in that world as Geralt I would see no reason to save it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt's motivation in this game isn't saving the world, it's saving his daughter.

People in desperate times are dicks.

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This gets compared to Dragon Age a lot so my comparison is that while this game has a better written story I still like Dragon Ages setting better. Also the normal people are written atrociously. Honestly if I lived in that world as Geralt I would see no reason to save it.

Everybody outside of Skellige is a dick, whereas Skelligers are the nicest people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Skelligers kill each other for stupid reasons constantly. And make people kill themselves. And take thralls and sell slaves.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The threshen quest in Skellige is good

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Han Nehi posted:

I really want that Arachas decoction, but I'm 20 levels below the Missing Brother quest that has the mutagen drop :(

I wonder if I could respec and cheese the Arachas to death with Igni...

There is an Arachas that response in Velen. It's in the middle of the far East large landmass near an old hut. You could easily find it with google. It's also a great spot to farm lesser red mutagens and Arachas venom. Just meditate for an hour after you kill it to get it to respawn.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The problem with Dragon Age isn't the setting, it's the people. 95% of people in Dragon Age are either Good people or Bad people, and the game is very obvious about who is Right and who is Wrong. Characters exist solely to help or impede the progress of you, the hero. People in Dragon Age don't feel real, they feel like someone assembled them out of TVTropes pages, and they spill their life story to you like a TVTropes page. The character writing in The Witcher series is in another league entirely.

I can't overstate how much better I think TW3 (the best of this series) is compared to DAI (the best of that series), even if you don't take gameplay into consideration.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spite posted:

I am one of the people that would argue that the saga, at least, is definitely about Ciri and that she is the main character. She's the point of view character more often than anyone else and almost every time someone else gets a pov it's about her. If nothing else, she is definitely the focus of those books from beginning to end.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am one of the people that would argue that the saga, at least, is definitely about Ciri and that she is the main character. She's the point of view character more often than anyone else and almost every time someone else gets a pov it's about her. If nothing else, she is definitely the focus of those books from beginning to end.

Totally agree. It's all about Ciri. Once you read the books, you'll be surprised how little witchering there's in there. I think there's like 3 or 4 situations where Geralt drinks a potion. Barely any monster hunting compared to all the other stuff that happens. Geralt kills shitloads of people though.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Does Geralt ever use bombs in the books? It's a big mechanic in the games, and I can't really recall any specific instances. Hell, he rarely even uses signs from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't think of any point at which he uses bombs either