Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeris posted:

russia.jpg http://imgur.com/a/PQrcu

edit oh yeah the imgur album is NWS

quote:

The Russian is not a communist, my friend. The Russian does not give a drat who runs things. I have lived amongst them. The Russian only cares he has a bottle of vodka to suck and some form of domestic animal life to gently caress. Then he will happily sit in poo poo his whole life. That is *his* politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
n4i's twink slaveboy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think I may have actually slept with that guy.

The tat's familiar but I'm pretty sure that's the E-3 special at the local Wichita Falls tattoo parlor.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Zeris posted:

russia.jpg http://imgur.com/a/PQrcu

edit oh yeah the imgur album is NWS

Looks like a set of photos taken in Barnsley on any given weekend tbqh.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXQlkpaC5k

Some sweet 1080p60fps footage

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Pretty long but the whole thing is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

Basically one extended continuous :stare:

The soundtrack kinda sucks though, might I recommend something appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDCs7ijNUVM

Carrier Aviation: Not That Easy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
One of the old dispatchers my mom used to work with flew Corsairs in Korea and Crusaders in Vietnam. He would go on for hours about how gorgeous the Corsair was and how Ugly the F8 was, but their handling/ease of use was the exact opposite. Apparently if the seas were the least bit choppy some Corsair pilots would risk running out of fuel to either keep circling or try and get to whatever base they could get diverted to due to how awful they were to land on a moving deck

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Video reminds me of a friend of my father's in the 80's who had to ditch shortly after take-off. When he got back to his room after debriefing and poo poo his bunkmates had posted a bill for $14,000,000 on his door.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

This video is cray

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MLRS in direct fire? Please pardon this massive :dong: I have right now.

That vid owned I love exploding poo poo

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

:fap:

Gonna reinstall Red Dragon.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think I may have actually slept with that guy.

nooice

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the last time we got into a no poo poo existential war, we were smart enough to make planes cheap enough they could be pushed over the side of a carrier

can you imagine what kind of poo poo would have to happen to push an f-35c over the side of a carrier? getting blown over the side by a single digit millions chinese srbm doesnt count

e: 5:10 FOUND IT

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

iyaayas01 posted:

Pretty long but the whole thing is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

Basically one extended continuous :stare:

around 2:20 is a :wtc:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Those shots of rockets just tumbling over the deck :stonk:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Did the Skyhawk just have a notoriously garbage/spindley front landing gear or what? The whole ~:20 minute segment was just "Oops. poo poo. gently caress. Damnit. Crap. There went another one. Assfuck! Mother of ffffff" :argh:

Also that dude at 33:05 rode it out like a goddamn champ :stonk:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

36:30 :dogbutton:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hahaha what the gently caress

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

ded posted:

around 2:20 is a :wtc:

Seriously. What is happening there? I didn't know they had on-board iron smelters.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol at the poor dude that runs up and tries to deal with it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

foozwak posted:

Seriously. What is happening there? I didn't know they had on-board iron smelters.

I reposted the video in another thread and someone suggested an oil fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's not oil pouring out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Zeris posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress

That's a T-2 Buckeye, Navy's carrier training aircraft before the T-45. The carrier was the Lexington, which was a WWII era Essex class carrier that the Navy continued to use until the early '90s as a training carrier.

So it was a student pilot that lost control in a really bad way and crashed into the island. Killed the pilot + 4 others. Here's an okay write-up on it. Sounds like the dude just got low and slow, had some throttle trouble/didn't increase power, and made some bad control inputs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jesus christ i keep forgetting there are people that are this way

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

buttcoinbrony posted:

the last time we got into a no poo poo existential war, we were smart enough to make planes cheap enough they could be pushed over the side of a carrier

Yes, how wise of our ancestors to go to war in aircraft barely more advanced than the tractors of the day. My good man, have you heard of Pierre Sprey and his revolutionary LFX concept? Once we get those bloated Pentagon bureaucrats to give up on gold-plated bullshit like "stealth" and "ECM" and "AESA Radar" that only exist to pad contractors' bottom lines, we can finally go to war in the carbon fiber planes that God and Mike Sparks intended.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 30, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I wonder how much it would cost to make a 'modern' Hellcat. I'd guess around 600k or so.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ded posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to make a 'modern' Hellcat. I'd guess around 600k or so.

About 60 Grand

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, how wise of our ancestors to go to war in aircraft barely more advanced than the tractors of the day. My good man, have you heard of Pierre Sprey and his revolutionary LFX concept? Once we get those bloated Pentagon bureaucrats to give up on gold-plated bullshit like "stealth" and "ECM" and "AESA Radar" that only exist to pad contractors' bottom lines, we can finally go to war in the carbon fiber planes that God and Mike Sparks intended.

I lol'd at this

But seriously, there's a couple Preds that should just be put out to pasture. Of course, given that a Pred airframe costs a whopping $3M all told and is quite literally expendable by today's dollars, it kind of proves your point.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ded posted:

Define "modern."

Because a radar alone will cost more than your estimate. And that Hellcat will show up on the adversary's radar as far away as an F-16. Your payload is going to be poo poo because the airframe wasn't designed for the weight or spacing necessary to mount much of anything that exists today. Now add all the wiring, computers, you probably want improved life support and ejection, and now suddenly this loving thing weighs twice what an original did and you haven't even loaded the weapons on yet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 30, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Define "modern."

Because a radar alone will cost more than your estimate. And that Hellcat will show up on the adversary's radar as far away as an F-16. Your payload is going to be poo poo because the airframe wasn't designed for the weight or spacing necessary to mount much of anything that exists today. Now add all the wiring, computers, you probably want improved life support and ejection, and now suddenly this loving thing weighs twice what an original did and you haven't even loaded the weapons on yet.

Also not knowing what "modern Hellcat" means, I'll add that a Super Tucano costs around $10 million.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And that's about as good as a design like that is going to get. And it's still a deathtrap in anything resembling conventional warfare.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

Define "modern."

By modern I mean made with tools & techniques from right now not adding poo poo that would change it into something else. The Hellcat back then could carry a pretty decent payload. Also it's more of a retort to 'hurrr planes so cheap we chucked them off the carrier'

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

4,000 lbs isn't bad, but even in the 1940s the unit cost was like $40k (~550k today). So for raw inflation your guess is pretty impressive.

Edit: Holy poo poo, they built over 12,000 of them in two years.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 30, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ and that'd be most of the reason why the majority of the Avengers were built by GM instead of Grumman, because the Iron Works was way too busy cranking out Hellcats. /\

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also not knowing what "modern Hellcat" means, I'll add that a Super Tucano costs around $10 million.

And that is the baseline price. Toss on another couple million per tail if you're putting a decent targeting pod/MTS on board, which you should.

ded posted:

By modern I mean made with tools & techniques from right now not adding poo poo that would change it into something else. The Hellcat back then could carry a pretty decent payload.

That's missing the point. "Lots of things that go boom" is pointless unless you have the means to guide them effectively...which means things like targeting pods as well as internal wiring to support stuff like 1760 bus/JDAM capability. That's why things like the Super Tucano cost as much as they do.

This is doubly true in a low-intensity war (which is the only type of war that this type of aircraft would be used in), because you are going to want to minimize collateral damage as much as possible...which means using the smallest amount of explosive required delivered in the most precise fashion possible.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 30, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's also gonna eat an SA-7 like nobody's business.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

By modern I mean made with tools & techniques from right now not adding poo poo that would change it into something else.

Even disregarding the issues of actually using such an aircraft in a combat role, airplanes aren't build THAT much differently than they were then. It would still be a riveted aluminum monocoque. The costs of replicating the production tooling and infrastructure alone would dwarf the value of anything you might save through redesign and modern materials.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

/\ and that'd be most of the reason why the majority of the Avengers were built by GM instead of Grumman, because the Iron Works was way too busy cranking out Hellcats. /\

And that is the baseline price. Toss on another couple million per tail if you're putting a decent targeting pod/MTS on board, which you should.

That's missing the point. "Lots of things that go boom" is pointless unless you have the means to guide them effectively...which means things like targeting pods as well as internal wiring to support stuff like 1760 bus/JDAM capability. That's why things like the Super Tucano cost as much as they do.

This is doubly true in a low-intensity war (which is the only type of war that this type of aircraft would be used in), because you are going to want to minimize collateral damage as much as possible...which means using the smallest amount of explosive required delivered in the most precise fashion possible.

who needs effective guidance when you have an order of magnitude more planes in the sky? :clint:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

who needs effective guidance when you have an order of magnitude more planes in the sky? :clint:

bring back the flying sergeants program

MrYenko posted:

Even disregarding the issues of actually using such an aircraft in a combat role, airplanes aren't build THAT much differently than they were then. It would still be a riveted aluminum monocoque. The costs of replicating the production tooling and infrastructure alone would dwarf the value of anything you might save through redesign and modern materials.

lmbo you loving sperg

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ded posted:

bring back the flying sergeants program

Yeah cuz what we need are people like the average GIP poster to be flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Yeah cuz what we need are people like the average GIP poster to be flying.

paging Bob A Feet

• Locked thread