Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I mean it's a little dumb if you think about all the little details but it's not terrible, mediocre maybe. The comic as a whole has been pretty amazing, and I still have hope that this arc can wrap up in a way that is at least interesting, even if most of it was pretty dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
-We've already seen his powers are tied to his emotions and that they're growing out of control.
-Moonshadow planned to interrogate him via webcam while he was drugged. This wasn't in her plan, so she's having to improvise.
-The arc is poorly structured but not dumb.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that didn't make sense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why use real explosives if you didn't want them to go off? :psyduck:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

WAIT SO THE FIRE JUST POLITELY ARMED THE BOMBS TIMER

HELP

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was a jerkximity fuse.

And they're all setting it off.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She already explained that that's how the bomb worked, and that it was built to look bigger than it was but mostly was there to take him out if he freaked out. She presumably did not expect to be standing right next to him when he woke up because she didn't know all this stuff with Alison would happen. This is actually pretty much what I want the comic to be here, everything that just happened is a result of previously-established stuff, it's happening relatively quickly, and it involves a minimum of telling and a maximum of showing.

I know people are getting impatient with this arc, but you don't need to reach for stuff to complain about, guys, "people go on long confusing monologues for many pages" is already a fine criticism.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
This might be giving to much credit to the writer but could this all be an illusion? I get the feeling she might be trying to find a way out and throw them off her trail and what better way then to make it look like she died.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like that it took being next to bombs that were about to explode to make Moonshadow realize that her plan was "threaten two people with exploding bombs when of the three of us, I'm the only one who can be harmed by explosions".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The only thing here I don't get is the second to last panel. Is Mary down there and she's been cut? Is Mary using an illusion to make him think Alison is Mary?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that is supposed to show that Mary is masking Alison with an illusion of herself? Presumably so that he attacks her? I assumed that's why we have the previous panel, showing Alison's hand and looking up to Furnace and then the reverse so you can see that Alison isn't visible where we know she is and he's seeing Mary instead.

Notably, the power cable is missing from the picture, and if Mary had actually jumped down there/fell she should be getting electrocuted just the same as Alison and be much deader for it. She was on the top level with Furnace and there's no reason she would have dived over the edge like that.

Although Furnace literally just looked down there and saw Alison being shocked with the cable in the previous page and recognized her, so maybe he's not dumb enough to just not realize that the entire scene changed in a fraction of a setting (of course he's dumb enough. I guess he's still drug-addled, maybe)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ashcans posted:

I think that is supposed to show that Mary is masking Alison with an illusion of herself? Presumably so that he attacks her? I assumed that's why we have the previous panel, showing Alison's hand and looking up to Furnace and then the reverse so you can see that Alison isn't visible where we know she is and he's seeing Mary instead.

Notably, the power cable is missing from the picture, and if Mary had actually jumped down there/fell she should be getting electrocuted just the same as Alison and be much deader for it. She was on the top level with Furnace and there's no reason she would have dived over the edge like that.

Although Furnace literally just looked down there and saw Alison being shocked with the cable in the previous page and recognized her, so maybe he's not dumb enough to just not realize that the entire scene changed in a fraction of a setting (of course he's dumb enough. I guess he's still drug-addled, maybe)

Alright, yeah, that works.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
She jumped off or got knocked off the opposite side of where Alison was. And Furnace just put two and two together and is about to go after Mary.

I mean, I am not a fan of this arc and it honestly hurt the comic in my eyes but ya'll are being dense.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

thrawn527 posted:

The only thing here I don't get is the second to last panel. Is Mary down there and she's been cut? Is Mary using an illusion to make him think Alison is Mary?

I figured that she got hit by bomb shrapnel is all.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

thrawn527 posted:

It's a shrapnel bomb, so she likely got hit.

If she's trying to misdirect, she's probably gonna be disappointed to find out Alison is fireproof.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unlucky7 posted:

She jumped off or got knocked off the opposite side of where Alison was. And Furnace just put two and two together and is about to go after Mary.

I mean, I am not a fan of this arc and it honestly hurt the comic in my eyes but ya'll are being dense.

That was actually my first reaction, but if so I don't really understand where she has landed. We can see the extent of the water in the previous pages, and it has only just reached the platform Furnace is on - if Mary is supposed to have jumped/fell off the other side, she should be on dry ground. I can't work out where she is supposed to be that would be in the middle of the water but without Alison right there, unless she is doing some illusion stuff.

Also I feel justified being confused about what is happening when one of the characters is disguising her location every page. :colbert:

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Mary knifed people who obtusely over-analyze webcomics

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

If Furnace dies I hope his last words are, "More tax breaks for the rich."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

She already explained that that's how the bomb worked, and that it was built to look bigger than it was but mostly was there to take him out if he freaked out. She presumably did not expect to be standing right next to him when he woke up because she didn't know all this stuff with Alison would happen. This is actually pretty much what I want the comic to be here, everything that just happened is a result of previously-established stuff, it's happening relatively quickly, and it involves a minimum of telling and a maximum of showing. I know people are getting impatient with this arc, but you don't need to reach for stuff to complain about, guys, "people go on long confusing monologues for many pages" is already a fine criticism.
This chapter only took forty million years

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And the bomb didnt look like it did much at all. It only hurt her because she ran towards it? What the hell everyone's dumb as poo poo in this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And for some reason Mary seems to be bleeding orange juice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Great, they ruined the Tang Surprise.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This comic got so loving dumb. Why is any of this even happening the way it is.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I know people are desperate to hate this comic but the degree which some people are refusing to comprehend very basic concepts in order to find something to complain about is really weird.

Elysiume posted:

This comic got so loving dumb. Why is any of this even happening the way it is.

Well, Furnace got kidnapped and drugged and has always been shown to be a hot head so when he woke up he got angry and started using his powers.

Unfortunately, Moonshadow, who didn't want to be burned alive as she filmed her murdering Furnace, strapped a bomb onto him so he wouldn't use his powers. So Furnace set off his bomb.

Moonshadow, also not wanting to die from being too close to an explosion or shrapnel instead grabbed the bomb and threw it. She still got with some shrapnel/got affected by the blast though.

Or maybe she didn't. Her power is illusion so maybe she's going around to do more throat cutting.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Great, they ruined the Tang Surprise.

But they'll never reveal the Tang Secret.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Wait, has Mega Girl always been vulnerable to electricity? If it's because of her flying, why was she still knife proof?

rotinaj posted:

But they'll never reveal the Tang Secret.

Tang Clan aint nothin' to gently caress with.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Cryophage posted:

Wait, has Mega Girl always been vulnerable to electricity? If it's because of her flying, why was she still knife proof?

It's always been shown that she's super tough. That much juice would have cooked a normal person in a second. It seems to be having a taser effect on her. Also if her powers are related to her brain like it's been said electricity might be the only way to take her down.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

She's said before that she can still feel things like heat and cold, and probably electricity, they just don't actually kill her.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Hypocrisy posted:

Moonshadow, also not wanting to die from being too close to an explosion or shrapnel instead grabbed the bomb and threw it. She still got with some shrapnel/got affected by the blast though.

This is the stupid part, right here. Running forward to grab an armed bomb, instead of running away from it. If you strap a bomb to someone, you do not grab that bomb when they stupidly arm it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I slashed Megagirls' throat and put a bomb on whassisname but I didnt mean to kill them!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hypocrisy posted:

I know people are desperate to hate this comic but the degree which some people are refusing to comprehend very basic concepts in order to find something to complain about is really weird.
I don't mean the last few pages, I mean the last three dozens pages. Or five dozen or however many I've thought it was overwrought stupidity for. Not really sure why I'm still reading it, so I might as well just stop.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I slashed Megagirls' throat and put a bomb on whassisname but I didnt mean to kill them!
:agreed:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This chapter has been long and kind of miserably boring, and it's still not over. I think at this point if the next one doesn't look better I'll probably just stop reading. :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

This is the stupid part, right here. Running forward to grab an armed bomb, instead of running away from it. If you strap a bomb to someone, you do not grab that bomb when they stupidly arm it.

This. She's already established to be a murderer. What's one more body she doesn't even like? If you had the time to save him from the bomb, you had time to dip out under your light bending powers, and go scratch one more misogynistic prick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then under the influence of the ugh... truth serum, he says 'I didnt rape anyone!' and Mary goes 'Oh no! Maybe... I was the monster!'

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Captain Bravo posted:

Warmachine posted:

This. She's already established to be a murderer. What's one more body she doesn't even like? If you had the time to save him from the bomb, you had time to dip out under your light bending powers, and go scratch one more misogynistic prick.

She's right next to him and she decided to drop a live wire on some water down below. The bomb also exploded pretty quickly.

It's not really stupid for her to just try and get rid of the bomb as opposed to hoping she doesn't get shredded by shrapnel and or hoping to avoid any electrified puddles.

Elysiume posted:

I don't mean the last few pages, I mean the last three dozens pages. Or five dozen or however many I've thought it was overwrought stupidity for. Not really sure why I'm still reading it, so I might as well just stop.

I can't fault you for that!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think it was a "what no he hasn't confessed yet" deal.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it was a "what no he hasn't confessed yet" deal.

It's been established that Mary doesn't care if she kills some innocent people in her rapist hunt, so why would she suddenly care whether Furnace is guilty or not?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

It's been established that Mary doesn't care if she kills some innocent people in her rapist hunt, so why would she suddenly care whether Furnace is guilty or not?

She was going to film it. Possibly hoping to make a big point about how someone you respect could still be a rapist. See the sequence earlier in the chapter when Allison stops that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

Have we established that? The closest we came that I can think of was Clevin, and she was counting on Alison to save him.

• Locked thread