Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Back from day 2 of PAX. Two things my friend and I noticed today:
  • They didnt take out the "restart song" button. Accidentally restarting every song while trying to put down the guitar is still in.
  • 5 stars now slowly fill up with gold to show your progress towards GS.

I wasn't able to corner anyone today to ask about RB1's export is going to work, but I'll try tomorrow.

Also I tried Guitar Hero Live today. Their little two-person stage is miserably laggy and you couldn't hear yourself play because it was next to a :pcgaming::reject:League Of Dotas Esports:reject::pcgaming: event but it's actually really fun to play if you can get yourself to forget it's Guitar Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sir Tonk posted:

Preorder canceled.

But on the plus side, you no longer have a deafening airplane hum coming out of your surround sound system.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Are the RB3 leaderboard servers down for everyone, or do I have something wrong on my end? I appear to be connected to Xbox LIVE and can access the DLC store in-game, but I can't use any of the leaderboard features.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed all my non-RB4 compatible Xbox 360 instruments (old wired Strat, Mustang Pro Guitar) are worth $20-$40 each on Amazon's trade-in system, which seems like the best possible way to get rid of a bunch of stuff that probably won't work with anything going forward.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

Are the RB3 leaderboard servers down for everyone, or do I have something wrong on my end? I appear to be connected to Xbox LIVE and can access the DLC store in-game, but I can't use any of the leaderboard features.

Xbox Live only controls access to multiplayer and DLC buying, Rock Central is a server that Harmonix runs themselves, which holds leaderboards and other personal information like blitz cred and coin balances. HMX moved offices a while ago so lots of leaderboard stuff has been fluctuating between iffy and broken for the last few months. In fact, the entire worldwide Rock Band Blitz leaderboard was lost, so now's your chance to gun for some 1st place scores before Microsoft shuts down Xbox 360 Live at the end of the year.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 30, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If you want to see Drake, Teasdale, and Eric Pope make jokes about stage kit support for RB4, watch the video for Paxamania. Whole lot of that going on. Should be uploaded to youtube soon enough.

https://twitter.com/deliciousbees/status/638042742094884864

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
TURN ON THE FOG MACHINE!

It was pretty cool seeing all the HMX employees of yore there. Was really rooting for Teasdale during his streak there.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

so now's your chance to gun for some 1st place scores before Microsoft shuts down Xbox 360 Live at the end of the year.

Wait, really? Are they shutting down everything? Or just RB servers? When was this announced?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't listen to anything Orange Harrison says until at least one other person can confirm it.

There was a statement about "three more years" in April 2013 but that's it. Homeboy likes to talk.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Those sound like fighting words.
Would anyone be interested in stage kit controlled popcorn?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

pksage posted:

• Creed - "One Last Breath"

The Muse songs are a treat, but the secret best thing about this announcement is that it reminded me of this music video, a masterpiece of subtle symbolism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkuBUAwfe0

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The stage kit jab at the wrestling event was great, a pain in the rear end but otherwise great.

I had a chance to play Rock Band 4 at PAX earlier. I played on the secondary stage on the side and there was a good half second of latency between pushing a fret and it lighting up on screen which really hurt the playability so I don't think I'll bother playing again at pax. Otherwise the soundtrack had some great songs that sound like they'll be a ton of fun. I heard one guy absolutely KILL IT at I Believe In A Thing Called Love, people passing by were cheering for him, he hit some crazy high notes.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
If you are interested in using your stage kit on PC, check this out:

https://twitter.com/TrojanNemo/status/638178070118166528

I decided if I was going to take over Lightworks I was going to do it on my terms, so complete re-working of the GUI and major overhaul of the original source code. I really do hope we get support in RB4, but at least I'll be using this for any other parties I'm asked to "DJ" (I routinely used the old version of the app).

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've thought it'd be neat to use the Stage Kit light on my PC like some of those monitors that have LED backlights that light up the wall behind the screen with whatever color is on the screen.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Don't listen to anything Orange Harrison says until at least one other person can confirm it.

There was a statement about "three more years" in April 2013 but that's it. Homeboy likes to talk.

I read an article in 2014 that said Xbox Live for 360 was shutting down "after 2015". It's not like I still have that article from over a year ago laying around. :shrug:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Seattle/PAX goons: my buddies at Seattle RockBand Group are hosting a second annual PAX Rock Band After-party at the Unicorn (12th and Pike, a few blocks uphill from PAX). This year HMX offered to co-host the event and mirror our twitch stream on their own channel. You don't need a PAX badge to get in, so anyone in the area can come down and play. HMX will be present, and the console has all official DLC and exports (HMX asked us to remove customs for their stream). There will be a window of time set aside for performance contests, and the winner gets a copy of RB4.
https://www.facebook.com/events/582021155270007/

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
So here's the community program...

http://rockband.com/roadcrew

Man, even I would want in that. But considering I haven't been welcome in the HMX forums since 2012, I doubt I would make the cut for the Crew.
Good luck to all those who apply!

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

We’re looking for people who eat, sleep, and breathe Rock Band™. You throw parties, play on weekends, run a fan site or blog, and may have even high fived one of the developers at some point. Being on the Road Crew means that you earn rewards for doing what you do anyway: talking about, playing, and loving Rock Band.

Huh, okay.

quote:

As a member you’ll be expected to complete gigs, actively promote Rock Band on social media, and keep playing Rock Band with your friends and family. We’d love to see photos and videos of you rocking with your new kit too.

Wait, wh-

quote:

Would you rather have: unlimited pizza, tacos, or high fives?

...I don't underst-

quote:

Your video must:
Show us why you belong on the Road Crew
Be unique to this application (that means you've created it just for this application)
Be at least 1 minute in length
Be no longer than three and a half minutes
Include footage of you and friends playing any Rock Band game together
Incorporate the phrase "impressive solo!" somewhere in the video

Oh no.

quote:

Every week Rock Band Road Crew members will be invited to participate in gigs, each worth a unique number of points. The more gigs you compete the more perks and awards you will be eligible for.

Oh no.

quote:

The maximum number of points that a Road Crew member can earn by performing Gigs is 40,000. This number is subject to change prior to the start of the Gigs Phase.

...what does that translate to?

quote:

Unlock by earning 5,000 points
Rock Band 4 DLC Song Credit

You've gotta b-

quote:

Unlock by earning 20,000 points
Magazine Subscription

What?!

quote:

Unlock by earning 35,000 points
Rockbandroadcrew.com Email Address

quote:

Below are examples of Gigs:
• Host a Rock Band battle of the bands with at least two full bands
• Recruit friends and family to pre-order Rock Band 4
• Create videos and share via social media
• Take pictures and share via social media
• Send Rock Band polls to friends
• Take Rock Band quizzes

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Well this completely makes up for the lack of online multiplayer!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Hey, well, promotion is really important for a game like RB4, they need to remind people that band games are still a thing and still fun.

I would probably do a lot of those things without getting rewarded for them anyway, so...

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I mean, it's not like anyone's being forced to enter against their will... but... I mean... the prize is that you become their street team / guerrilla marketing? Play-acted excess horror aside, I can't be the only one who feels like this rings a bit... off...

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Considering that tons of people gave up on plastic instrument music games they have to do something to get people to buy even more of their poo poo.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I mean, it's not like anyone's being forced to enter against their will... but... I mean... the prize is that you become their street team / guerrilla marketing? Play-acted excess horror aside, I can't be the only one who feels like this rings a bit... off...

I don't think it's sleazy; it might come off a little bit desperate, but not outright bad or questionable. This is essentially a giant version of "review this game on the Play Store/App Store to get 500 in-game currency!" or "take this survey and get a $2 Amazon credit!"

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
...understandable promotional needs or not, those examples sounds pretty freemium-phone-game sleazy, dude.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

pksage posted:

I would probably do a lot of those things without getting rewarded for them anyway, so...

I have been doing this for over two years now...even after multiple banned accounts (why HMX, why!?!).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gaspar Lewis posted:

...understandable promotional needs or not, those examples sounds pretty freemium-phone-game sleazy, dude.

"Bug other people about Rock Band" seems to be the gist of "gigs"

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey peers and relatives! Anyone marketably enthusiastic for social media want to boot up my new Rock Band kit provided per binding contract terms of agreement and jam for a while? We can thoroughly document our activities and then blast them virally to target markets while we play! Who knows, we might even unlock reward tiers towards a compensatory magazine subscription if we do! Who's in? Please provide all forms of digital identification so I can optimally report to my superiors that my task has been completed.

:goleft:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Hey peers and relatives! Anyone marketably enthusiastic for social media want to boot up my new Rock Band kit provided per binding contract terms of agreement and jam for a while? We can thoroughly document our activities and then blast them virally to target markets while we play! Who knows, we might even unlock reward tiers towards a compensatory magazine subscription if we do! Who's in? Please provide all forms of digital identification so I can optimally report to my superiors that my task has been completed.

:goleft:

I'm sorry, it didn't count since you didn't say impressive solo . No gig points for you. Do you even believe in Rock Band bro?!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

It is so obvious that they are operating with both a shoestring budget and a completely inexperienced marketing/community relations department. It's really unfortunate, because the buildup to rock band 4 has been really underwhelming and I'm not optimistic about the series/genre's future.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Douche4Sale posted:

It is so obvious that they are operating with both a shoestring budget and a completely inexperienced marketing/community relations department. It's really unfortunate, because the buildup to rock band 4 has been really underwhelming and I'm not optimistic about the series/genre's future.

Music games will live on forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pCNNbMCgA

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
If it was just the contest, then that'd be standard-issue and pretty cool! If it was just the "gigs" stuff and that was open to everyone, it'd be a little iffy but nothing out of the ordinary for your average fan-recruited street team. Using one to feed into and color the expectations of the other is where the weirdness comes from, and it's a multiplicative effect.

Man, I'm just trying to go back in my mind to like... three months ago. June 1 was really cool, and good, and exciting.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

:yikes:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm picturing this community program and all I can think of is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lVEFhP39Ws

Actually I kind of want to apply now with a shot-for-shot recreation of this video.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I played Thumper and Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live today. They're all good!

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

My Lovely Horse posted:

All I can picture is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w3GCzTU_c

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

This is the first I've heard of this. Really, it's good? The teaser on their website is very bland and makes it look like grimdark Audiosurf.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

pksage posted:

This is the first I've heard of this. Really, it's good? The teaser on their website is very bland and makes it look like grimdark Audiosurf.

It... kinda is. But it's still pretty satisfying!

I played it a few months ago, so I don't know how much more they put in the current build, but you had a "thump" button and left/right leaning to do in time with the beat. (Pulling down/"back" animated but wasn't used from what I could tell.) Timing was very strict and you definitely fell into that "rhythm game zone" if you let yourself. After I beat the demo boss, the track also widened out, so I get the impression my sample size was miniscule overall.

Brian Gibson seems a cool and very reserved guy and I pre-congratulated him on Fantasy Empire.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lVEFhP39Ws

Actually I kind of want to apply now with a shot-for-shot recreation of this video.

I can't stop laughing at this. It just looks so incredibly manufactured. "Hey man, wanna come over and watch me play a videogame? Make sure to put on your ROCK clothes."

I am the hula hoop toy spinning around on the LP player in the background. wheeeeeee

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
That feeling when you have to reorganize an entire floor of your house, in the process of moving things you unearth your old MIDI Rocker LX you totally forgot about because you bought the MIDI Pro Adapter, you remember that the LX is attached to a wireless RB2 hacked drums controller and realise that you can play RB4 on the Xbox One with your ekit on launch day with just a dongle. Yeah, ok, it's a pretty specific and convoluted feeling but it's really cool. Any doubt that crept in about preordering has been voided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Kaboobi posted:

I played Thumper and Rock Band 4 and Guitar Hero Live today. They're all good!

Thoughts about GHL's new playstyle?