Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The client says Skype for Business, but it's still Lync 2013 on the server!

MJP posted:

Anyway, e/n over. Anyone have pointers for someone who hasn't touched unified communications before on how to handle a Lync 2013 Enterprise deployment involving UC, presence, and IM?
Are you talking about tips for handling the actual deployment or tips for handling a deployment of it?

We run a on-premises Lync server connected to Office Online and so far the hardest part of keeping it working has been remembering to run a powershell command on the Lync server after enabling Unified Messaging in Exchange Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mo_Steel posted:

A ticket came in:

"I’m locked up in Navision. Can you please get me out?"

I'm pretty excited, this is my first time helping someone bust out of the slammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis

Less than a minute later...

"Nevermind, I got out."

I didn't even get the chance to bake a cake with a file in it. :saddowns:

I pictured this like Shawshank, dude was trapped & forgot he'd chiseled an escape hole already. "Oh poo poo never mind" *crawls through 500 yards of poop to safety*

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, nobody really knows what they are doing. Especially with Lync.

I'm deploying this (well, S4B) to my org this weekend. I did some testing of course before I started to install it everywhere but am not entirely confident it's even going to work come Monday morning. :ohdear:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

I'm deploying this (well, S4B) to my org this weekend. I did some testing of course before I started to install it everywhere but am not entirely confident it's even going to work come Monday morning. :ohdear:

It's lync, it never works.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

The client says Skype for Business, but it's still Lync 2013 on the server!

Are you talking about tips for handling the actual deployment or tips for handling a deployment of it?

We run a on-premises Lync server connected to Office Online and so far the hardest part of keeping it working has been remembering to run a powershell command on the Lync server after enabling Unified Messaging in Exchange Online.

It's already deployed, so I guess any general tips. I did a bit of reading up on what the server roles are in a typical topology, and it seems that it's just a matter of keeping ports open and monitoring the usual suspects - the back end SQL db, the vast amount of ports, etc. I don't think Office 365 is in the picture, but I also haven't even started yet.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Funny thing about S4B: Worked perfectly when the server was still locking out users from using the Skype interface (backend was listing as Lync 2013 only, but you could still use the Skype interface with a registry hack), but when we switched over to S4B on the backend we started seeing similar problems to what we have with Lync. You know, the random crashes, the Lync windows suddenly turning invisible, that sort of poo poo.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I wish S4B/Lync client wasn't such a performance pig. Anytime I come back to my machine after lunch/a break more than 15 minutes long it will be "Not Responding" for a good 10 seconds after unlocking my PC. This seems to be pretty common.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wish S4B/Lync client wasn't such a performance pig. Anytime I come back to my machine after lunch/a break more than 15 minutes long it will be "Not Responding" for a good 10 seconds after unlocking my PC. This seems to be pretty common.

I've given up on the Lync client, and just started using the Office Communicator plugin for Pidgin.

Yes it's a huge faff to set up (have to change the user agent string to spoof the official client, and figure out all the other options) but once it's up and running it works well. No-longer does it randomly eat conversations after signing into the work VPN, for example.

The main reason to use it though, is because I full time work from home, and Pidgin lets you disable the feature where it marks you as away if your screen locks! Combine with auto-login and that BIOS option to schedule a power on at 9AM, then stay in bed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Lum posted:

I've given up on the Lync client, and just started using the Office Communicator plugin for Pidgin.

Yes it's a huge faff to set up (have to change the user agent string to spoof the official client, and figure out all the other options) but once it's up and running it works well. No-longer does it randomly eat conversations after signing into the work VPN, for example.

The main reason to use it though, is because I full time work from home, and Pidgin lets you disable the feature where it marks you as away if your screen locks! Combine with auto-login and that BIOS option to schedule a power on at 9AM, then stay in bed.

You are a wise goon.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lum posted:

You are wise. Teach me in the ways of spoofing the away message.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My company is switching fully to Skype 4 Business this week. No more regular skype, no more webex, no more join me, etc

Everything, every meeting, every single computer-based communication has to be through S4B.

ugh

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

If youre working with Lync, youre going to learn to love Powershell (and loving it is easy enough tbh).

Lync 2013 is OK as a phone/UC platform if the backend is behaving nicely, but sometimes weird stuff just seem to happen for no apparent reason.
For the last couple of months I observed that the response group service didnt transfer some calls in some queue that have an overflow of 0.

Now this wouldnt be a major issue if not for the reason that for some loving stupid reason you cannot transfer to another SIP URI as an IVR action directly. You HAVE to put it through at queue with an overflow of 0 or a timeout.
This is by design (read lovely coding) and have always been like this.

Besides wanting to drink myself to death on a regular basis, I am pretty much a full time Lync 2013 administrator so if you have specific questions just toss em out there.

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 31, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
People talk a lot of poo poo about Lync, but if you know what you're doing, it can actually do some cool stuff. At my current company, the admins have figured out how to turn it into a rudimentary chat program. Cool!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in regarding my recent FTP changes.

All of a particular salesperson's clients are unable to send us files.

Her forwarded email lists the new FTP address is x.x.x.x.x, instead of x.x.x.x:x.

I tried telling her that the port number needs to be separated by a colon instead of a period and this is likely the issue, but it's clearly a problem on our end because her clients have been able to send us files for years and now they can't.

Oh well, I have written proof that I sent you a solution. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat and ignore that, then it's completely on you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

I tried telling her that the port number needs to be separated by a colon instead of a period and this is likely the issue

For most people I'd agree. In your case, you probably want to verify that that port is still open in case somebody mucked with your settings without telling you in order to address a security concern.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in regarding my recent FTP changes.

All of a particular salesperson's clients are unable to send us files.

Her forwarded email lists the new FTP address is x.x.x.x.x, instead of x.x.x.x:x.

I tried telling her that the port number needs to be separated by a colon instead of a period and this is likely the issue, but it's clearly a problem on our end because her clients have been able to send us files for years and now they can't.

Oh well, I have written proof that I sent you a solution. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat and ignore that, then it's completely on you.

Ah yes, the new 37-bit IPv4.1 address scheme.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in months ago about our software freezing/causing issues on a clients computers. Had to escalate it all the way up to the developers since we couldn't solve it through our usual troubleshooting steps mixed in with lots of googling around.

Before I passed it up to the developers I mentioned the client should take a look at their network and see if they have any kind of TCP filters on since it was not affecting UDP traffic, only TCP traffic to our application. Get back a long email saying it cannot possibly be their network, how the issue just started out of the blue and they have ruled out everything on their end, you know, the usual.

Programmers couldn't solve the issue, TCP packets would just not get sent to the destination, as if they were getting blocked by an external device that wasn't on the main server hosting the software or the client PC's trying to connect. Eventually we end up sending them a long email detailing everything we had done and how there is nothing more we can do from our end to solve what we are convinced is a networking issue.

Queue email from client:

"We have turned off the TCP-SYN-Check on our Juniper router and everything is working fine now, we are also looking into packet issues across the network."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

To be fair, you might need some additional hand holding for this user since your station seems to be half staffed by hill people. Use the example of telephone extensions, and ask them what they think would happen if they just added the extension to the dialing number instead of punching it in after the receiver picked up. It might work by accident, you were too slow dialing at the right moment, but it's not how it's supposed to work. Similarly, the port number is the extension you use when dialing into the ftp server, and you need to put it in the right spot. If it worked before, it was by accident, or your clients figured out the last part was actually the extension.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe have them use Problem Steps Recording to show you the exact process they're using. That'll help you determine if they're actually putting in the wrong IP address / port.

There's a 50% chance that they're writing it correctly in the program and wrong in the email because they're dumb.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Ah yes, the new 37-bit IPv4.1 address scheme.

Don't even joke about this, you know this is how they'll fix the IPv4 problem

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For most people I'd agree. In your case, you probably want to verify that that port is still open in case somebody mucked with your settings without telling you in order to address a security concern.

Nah, I've tried several different transfers from several different external computers using both FTP programs and File Explorer and had everything go through. The bizarre part is that the user is connecting using the right settings, and the correct login, they see the file list, they can drop a file in, it'll transfer for a few minutes, and then give them a permission denied error.

The weirdest part is nothing is showing in the log, like, there's no indication that's the client is connecting to it.

It sounds like the same issue we were experiencing on our end, where, with Filezilla, there are some incompatible routers/firewalls that send too many keep-alive signals. Long story short, if your file is transferring when a keep-alive signal is sent, it resets the connection.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 31, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Things IT would prefer manager not do when submitting a new hire ticket:
1: Misspell the last name.

All his accounts are wrong, and need to be corrected.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Issue solved, I'm still justified in my decision. Suck it, supervisor.

User was trying to write a file with the same name as another file, and overwriting/deleting is prohibited.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

larchesdanrew posted:

Issue solved, I'm still justified in my decision. Suck it, supervisor.

User was trying to write a file with the same name as another file, and overwriting/deleting is prohibited.

I love how this always happens.

"I can't upload my file" turns into WE CAN'T UPLOAD ANYTHING HELP

My girlfriend is really bad for doing this same thing when anything network related happens at home :sigh:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Haquer posted:

I love how this always happens.

"I can't upload my file" turns into WE CAN'T UPLOAD ANYTHING HELP

My girlfriend is really bad for doing this same thing when anything network related happens at home :sigh:

"I can't upload my file" = "Something YOU did means no clients can send in any files"
"This website is responding slowly" = "The internet is completely down and I can't do anything."
"This program won't open" = "My entire computer is broken."

In the mind of a user, if every single solitary facet of your workspace isn't 100% operational, according to your own specific whims on what counts as 100%, then your entire job is undoable.

The copier is out of paper? Looks like I can't do that conference call.
I have to click "ok" before this program will run? I'm gonna be out all week until this gets figured out.
There's going to be a five minute outage while a server is reset? Here's my resignation.
This camera is a little wobbly on the tripod? I'm leaving this godforsaken country, where's my passport?

EDIT: Before I went to lunch, I emailed the client with the FTP issues and explained that he was trying to upload a file named the same as another file already on the server and, as a precaution, clients are not allowed to delete or overwrite files. I told him to rename the file by adding the word "test" to the end of it and try to upload it again.

I come back from lunch and check the FTP log to see that he tried thirteen times to upload the original file without renaming it.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 31, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

larchesdanrew posted:

In the mind of a user, if every single solitary facet of your workspace isn't 100% operational, according to your own specific whims on what counts as 100%, then your entire job is undoable.

"Please close the program and reopen it" > Power off the machine, and fumble around powering it back on

"Please log out and log back in" > Power off the machine and expect me to come over

"Press the house button on the printer then go back into Network Scan" > Printers hosed

"I called someone and they didn't answer" > Phones are hosed

I think I used the analogy that computers are sometimes like rip start lawnmowers, and you sometimes just need to re-do things, but most people just don't want to learn.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

larchesdanrew posted:

I come back from lunch and check the FTP log to see that he tried thirteen times to upload the original file without renaming it.

I'm a developer instead of IT now*, but poo poo like this is exactly why I prefer to have conversations via email/Slack instead of any sort of voice chat. I'll be the first one to say "Whoops my instructions were unclear" (because lord knows I'm bad about making too-high assumptions about minimal levels of competency), but if they weren't and you start griping at me because you didn't read the instructions, I'm going to send this entire email chain to your boss and if they don't have your lack of reading comprehension then you're going to have a real fun time.

* Which is to say, instead of troubleshooting every user in the company and telling them to "contact the developer" when they run into API/tool/website issues, I get to troubleshoot every user that T1 thinks has an API/tool/website issue.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Ticket came in:

quote:

Can you look at paul’s computer? Its not accessing server and now looks crazy. Thanks.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Enabled two months ago: 90 day password expiration.

Enabled today: password complexity requirements.

October is going to be very interesting, or I'm very sorry helpdesk.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Lum posted:

That would work for chat but we are also using it for telephony. I'm a little stuck.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

An email came in: "I'm getting this error when I try to log into this database. I tried shutting down my computer and unplugging the power cord for a full minute but that didn't fix it."

I guess it's nice he at least tried to troubleshoot, in his own way.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
After almost two years in a Google Apps environment it's so freaking weird not being able to Ctrl-Tab to my email.

New place is fairly laid-back, jeans and T-shirt dress code, lots of very specific-to-the-industry technical stuff. Lync already went down once :V

Every other cube has some kind of bottle of liquor.

My cube is in a big empty room. There's a shared office directly behind me, a hotel office to the right, and my manager's office, which is bigger than the two-person office at now-former job.

They still haven't figured out the problem with my domain admin account - even changing the PW caused the GPO to not copy shortcuts for redirected Start menus - and even now I can log in as my old admin account.

bb no

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

God drat it.

At some point supervisor pulled a department out of the sales email group without telling me, so when I emailed out the instructions for the new FTP this department wasn't included and now they're all pissed at me since I apparently purposefully left them out.

So I set them up with internal access to the FTP so they can pull the files out that clients send in.

Now the passive-aggressive assholes in this department are emailing the rest of sales the internal IP and telling them it's the new FTP address that "engineering is refusing to tell people about" and now sales is EMAILING THE loving CLIENTS THE INTERNAL FTP ADDRESS.

I'm going home. gently caress everything about this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm going home. gently caress everything about this.
Wait, *THIS* is that straw?
Seriously?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That would work for chat but we are also using it for telephony. I'm a little stuck.

I have the android client installed which should in theory handle the calls. Also Touchdown for exchange email. Both set to wake me up if anything happens.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Wait, *THIS* is that straw?
Seriously?

Nah, I'm just going home for the day. Let them stew in their own idiocy for a while.

"That" straw broke my back a long time ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Nah, I'm just going home for the day. Let them stew in their own idiocy for a while.

"That" straw broke my back a long time ago.

I'm not even sure that your direct supervisor is the biggest problem you have there. The entire place seems to be full to the brim with overgrown children who have never been told anything other than exactly what they wanted to hear, more interested in building fiefdoms and making GBS threads on other people that getting on with the loving job. Even if your supervisor got sidelined and you ended up head of IT reporting directly to the board level, it wouldn't matter one solitary poo poo since there would be a line halfway around the block of people willing to stab you in the back for upsetting their particular style of doing gently caress all work and blaming the systems for it.

I think what I'm saying is :frogout:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can you just be like "it seems like there is a perception issue for engineering that I want to start turning around"

e: like say that to everyone

starting with "we weren't refusing to give this out, its not like some wierd trick that you guys discovered. We are working through a technical issue, and to potray it as if we are hiding it form you is harmful to our relationship with all of you, on both sides."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not even sure that your direct supervisor is the biggest problem you have there. The entire place seems to be full to the brim with overgrown children who have never been told anything other than exactly what they wanted to hear, more interested in building fiefdoms and making GBS threads on other people that getting on with the loving job. Even if your supervisor got sidelined and you ended up head of IT reporting directly to the board level, it wouldn't matter one solitary poo poo since there would be a line halfway around the block of people willing to stab you in the back for upsetting their particular style of doing gently caress all work and blaming the systems for it.

I think what I'm saying is :frogout:

Honestly, this is all I've ever known in employment. You mean to tell me there are places where people just do their jobs, rather than sit around looking for reasons to be mad at any little innocuous thing? Because that's impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I kind of want to ask what sort of business process archaeology requires you to use FTP for distribution/sharing, but I also kinda don't want to know.

• Locked thread