Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Students today are no more computer literate than they were 20 years ago, and won't be any more computer literate in 20 more years. The adage that the current generation are good with technology is completely nonsense. The only thing the typical person understands tech wise is the small app-pool of social media apps that are in vogue at any given time for their group, and even that is usually a stretch.

Entropic posted:

The only reliable age difference is that young users are slightly more likely to think they know what they're doing when they don't; and older users are slightly more likely to throw up their hands and say "Oh, computers, I don't know anything about computers!" and be completely terrified of even trying to learn how to use something.

If anything, older users tend to be more likely to be the "I can't stand not understanding this, explain everything about this problem and how to prevent it!" type, than younger users.

Dick Trauma posted:

Back around 2007 I was working at an ad agency and we'd have some young interns there around 19-21 learning the trade. That's when I realized that although young people are voracious consumers of technology their knowledge was no deeper than that of any other age group.

There was a massive report published about home-computer use in 2007 in the Netherlands and the gist of it was that while kids used the home computer, dad maintained the computer (and mom ignored the home computer).
Things have changed when it comes to what devices are populair, but I do encounter plenty of (new) students with 3 or more devices on them proclaiming that they're used to their father fixing their laptop for them.

Hargrimm posted:

Same thing with computing devices; the edges got completely sanded off compared to what we grew up with and everything 'just works' so users are never forced to learn anything beyond the surface level.

Build a "foolproof system" and the universe throws a better fool at it, it's a constant arms race and people making (financial) decisions about IT-support should be made more aware of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, yes. At my last job, I would get P1 tickets from pharmacies 1 hour away 45 minutes before they closed. I was always satisfied to be able to ignore them.
Looking at my coworker's ticket queue there are currently 4 P2 incidents with a "Waiting for user" status. All have multiple updates per day of him trying to get in touch with the user. I guess they're not that urgent after all.

(P1 tickets are very rare here and reserved for poo poo being literally on fire, a total loss of site connectivity, the trading system being down or similar. Users can't define P1 themselves.)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Collateral Damage posted:

(P1 tickets are very rare here and reserved for poo poo being literally on fire, a total loss of site connectivity, the trading system being down or similar. Users can't define P1 themselves.)

I look back on my "poo poo's LITERALLY ON FIRE" ticket quite fondly. There's nothing quite like peeking in the back of a machine and seeing flames between the fan blades.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

gently caress developers.

gently caress hadoop developers even harder.

No, the c# code error you are receiving from your windows box is not being caused by the Linux server you're trying to connect to.

No, the tcp port exhaustion error you are receiving on your Windows test box is not coming from the Linux server or the F5 load balancer it's behind.

Yes, when ESTABLISHED connections drop away after the request completes normally that's a GOOD thing.

Yes, the next time you cry to a VP for help with something that exists ENTIRELY within your environment I will loving kill you on the spot with my bare loving hands.

Yesterday was a Woodford Reserve day.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I treated myself this morning to a nice hot cup of coffee house coffee. When I got in I was accosted by literally every single person in this building over something or another. Supervisor came in and bitched at me over how messy the shop is, even though it is entirely his mess that he made in a 2 hour window. A ton of tickets are waiting on me.

Oh well, at least I'm able to sit down for at least a few minutes and enjoy my coffee. I go to pick it up and the lid falls off and the cup goes sailing to the floor.

I sat there watching my coffee lazily ooze into the carpet and just laid my head down on the desk.

I hate this place.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

I treated myself this morning to a nice hot cup of coffee house coffee. When I got in I was accosted by literally every single person in this building over something or another. Supervisor came in and bitched at me over how messy the shop is, even though it is entirely his mess that he made in a 2 hour window. A ton of tickets are waiting on me.

Oh well, at least I'm able to sit down for at least a few minutes and enjoy my coffee. I go to pick it up and the lid falls off and the cup goes sailing to the floor.

I sat there watching my coffee lazily ooze into the carpet and just laid my head down on the desk.

I hate this place.

:yotj:

http://www.dice.com/
http://www.indeed.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/

HTH

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

I hate this place.

:rip: Coffee 2015-2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor came in and bitched at me over how messy the shop is

At this point I think he's just deliberately messing with you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I finally did it. I made the classic newbie mistake.

Get into work this morning to discover my laptop won't connect to the wifi and insists wifi is disabled in hardware. Try wifi toggle on keyboard, nothing. Check BIOS, nothing.

I take it down to IT and the tech on duty takes the laptop and, in one smooth motion, spins it around, finds the wifi switch on the side, flips it to "on", and spins it back to face me as it connects to the network.

In my defense, I wasn't expecting it to have both a wifi button on the keyboard and a toggle switch on the side, but still. Apparently my toddler had no trouble finding it yesterday!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

docbeard posted:

At this point I think he's just deliberately messing with you.

I am absolutely going to passive aggressively only clean up things I used.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Also https://careers.stackoverflow.com/ - I've got 20 invites if y'all want them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Urit posted:

Also https://careers.stackoverflow.com/ - I've got 20 invites if y'all want them.

PM'd you my email address.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

And even if you're not actively hunting but are considering moving on, get your resume/profile updated and posted. It can be encouraging just seeing what comes to you - IT people are a hot commodity right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I should get someone to look at my LinkedIn. While I'm not job hunting, I've never had a recruiter or a job opportunity come across.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

larchesdanrew posted:

I am absolutely going to passive aggressively only clean up things I used.

Passive-aggressive nothing, you're not his mommy or his personal janitor and you have IT work to do.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Passive-aggressive nothing, you're not his mommy or his personal janitor and you have IT work to do.

I've literally said these words to him before. I had loving to tell my boss I'm not his mother and it's not my job to clean up after him.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

I hate this place.

:rip: Coffee 08:00 - 09:30

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I hate this place.

____/

Coincidentally, this is also how my day is going. I took the past 2 days off to do such trivialities as getting my license renewed, running a bunch of other errands I won't have time to do this weekend, and then going to the state fair yesterday. I came back to 65 new issues in my inbox, despite having my away message set, over a dozen new voicemails, 3 "EMERGENCY TOP PRIORITY TROUBLESHOOTING INSTALLATIONS" on my calendar for just this morning, and 6 new accounts that will need my attention asap. Approximately 90% of this stuff could've been done by up to 3 other people here while I was gone.

Also, someone mentioned radio commercials and pricing. Back in 2008, a friend of mine asked for a quote for a 30 second radio ad and came away with $500 minimum for anything that didn't play at like 3am. I have no idea why it's that loving expensive.

Also also, the same radio station has a morning talk show where, on Thursdays at 7:30am, they play a game called OTF. OTF is where they play a news story, read a police blotter entry, or news article, and have people call in to guess whether the story takes place in Ohio, Texas, or Florida. The winners get fabulous prizes. Protip: If it's drugs or cars, go Ohio, if it's crazies or trailer parks/Walmart, go Florida, and if it's guns, animals, or trucks specifically, to Texas.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

neogeo0823 posted:

Also, someone mentioned radio commercials and pricing. Back in 2008, a friend of mine asked for a quote for a 30 second radio ad and came away with $500 minimum for anything that didn't play at like 3am. I have no idea why it's that loving expensive.

Because it's how stations keep the lights on? $500 minimum sounds a bit steep but if they're doing production of the spot as well I can see it being a forced floor to keep from wasting all your time on producing spots that only run a few times for every order.

Also drive time (morning/afternoon near school/shift change times) are when most people listen so it naturally costs more to run.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you're going to accidentally bring down the PRI it's best to do it early in the morning. :blush:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And even if you're not actively hunting but are considering moving on, get your resume/profile updated and posted. It can be encouraging just seeing what comes to you - IT people are a hot commodity right now.

Yeah, I'm gonna work on my resume and LI profile this weekend. I don't want to move anywhere - yet... that'll happen post-CCNA - but my resume's about 1.5 years out of date and LI could have a lot more detail/keywords to it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

A ticket came in. Well, about 15, one for each affected user with this client.

Client is having disconnects and issues dialing with their VoIP phones (SIP based).
Our web-app (SAS website CRM) is also "freezing" their browser on them.

Neither us nor our partner VoIP provider are having issues, no other clients reporting it, nothing on our end. But it couldn't be the upgrade the client just did on their network. Its us.

I'm going to lose my poo poo.

edit - forgot the best part. Their IT went "its not a network bandwidth issue, we have 20gb down and 10gb up and are barely saturating 3/4 of that."
It's a 20meg connection. I've remoted in and run speedtests before. When your IT can't distinguish gb from mb, welllllll....there are issues.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Students today are no more computer literate than they were 20 years ago, and won't be any more computer literate in 20 more years. The adage that the current generation are good with technology is completely nonsense. The only thing the typical person understands tech wise is the small app-pool of social media apps that are in vogue at any given time for their group, and even that is usually a stretch.

Exactly this - just because you can download an app on a smartphone or dick around browsing on a tablet does not make you a "computer literate" person. I've been tinkering with OSes, hardware, software and other stuff since junior high and can smell bullshit a mile away when some idiot thinks they know more than an actual professional. Big difference between plagiarizing a term paper on a lovely Dell laptop and actually knowing how to rebuild/reimage/troubleshoot practically blindfolded. The fact that they don't have the desire or ambition to even TRY is what kills me the most.

Dick Trauma posted:

This is amazing. Did you turn around to see her standing there glaring at you. Arm akimbo?

I bet she was out getting guzzoline when he stopped by

I know, wrong arm, still applies though

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 28, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Coincidentally, this is also how my day is going. I took the past 2 days off to do such trivialities as getting my license renewed, running a bunch of other errands I won't have time to do this weekend, and then going to the state fair yesterday. I came back to 65 new issues in my inbox, despite having my away message set, over a dozen new voicemails, 3 "EMERGENCY TOP PRIORITY TROUBLESHOOTING INSTALLATIONS" on my calendar for just this morning, and 6 new accounts that will need my attention asap. Approximately 90% of this stuff could've been done by up to 3 other people here while I was gone.

Also also, the same radio station has a morning talk show where, on Thursdays at 7:30am, they play a game called OTF. OTF is where they play a news story, read a police blotter entry, or news article, and have people call in to guess whether the story takes place in Ohio, Texas, or Florida. The winners get fabulous prizes. Protip: If it's drugs or cars, go Ohio, if it's crazies or trailer parks/Walmart, go Florida, and if it's guns, animals, or trucks specifically, to Texas.

I got really sick this year, ended up missing a week and a half of work due to doctors orders. My boss told me "Don't worry I'll pick up the slack."

When I got back a week and a half later, every single ticket that was in my queue when I left was still there, all of the tickets I normally would have done had I not been sick was also assigned to me. Two days later I got bitched at because of the state of the queue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Looking at my coworker's ticket queue there are currently 4 P2 incidents with a "Waiting for user" status. All have multiple updates per day of him trying to get in touch with the user. I guess they're not that urgent after all.

Our (awful, convoluted) ticket request process, involving at least two helpdesks, made pretty much every single thing for a pharmacy a P1 (2 hours) or a P2 (6 hours). Including maintenance kits for printers that had given a 15,000 page warning. Either you've got at least a week's worth of pages left, or you ignored it the first three times it came up. Neither of those is an emergency.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I got really sick this year, ended up missing a week and a half of work due to doctors orders. My boss told me "Don't worry I'll pick up the slack."

When I got back a week and a half later, every single ticket that was in my queue when I left was still there, all of the tickets I normally would have done had I not been sick was also assigned to me. Two days later I got bitched at because of the state of the queue.

Always get in writing what you will be hanged for later. In my case, I'm the only tech/install/troubleshooting guy at the company, so i was expecting about that much work. The other 3 guys can technically do the stuff I can, but they're several years out of practice, and are supposed to be more focused on growing the company and getting new clients instead of doing installs and troubleshooting. Still, things have been piling up all summer long like this, and it's going to get worse as October approaches.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Things like sleep and free time are definitely considered luxury by everyone that manages small IT firms it seems.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK can I just get a sanity check on a situation I'm dealing with today?

A client calls in that nobody can connect to some kind of CRM-type thing they use some kind of terminal emulator for, the connection is timing out. I remote in and the server can't ping the destination address, although the IP still resolves. I can ping it from our office and the backup connection at the client site. (Resolution right now is just to route the traffic to that destination out over that backup link.)

When I run a traceroute from the client site, it gets to the 14th hop and then times out until it hits the limit. If I run the trace from our office, it reaches the IP on the 15th hop.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, this means the client's IP is getting blocked either by the destination's ISP or the CRM peoples' firewall. Does that seem correct? Is there any possible thing that could be going on at the source end that would be causing this behavior? We haven't made any changes on the Sonicwall, which is another reason I'm really leaning towards not admitting any culpability.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I would agree it sounds like something is dropping the traffic. Maybe check the filter logs in the firewall to see if you can see what rule it's hitting that's causing the traffic to drop. If that doesn't yield any results... I'll consider that if required. Am currently buried in SSRS not working as it should and a third party vendor is "protecting" his code by not letting me look at it (because he knows he is the problem and doesn't want to give me a bullet to prove it).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well the firewall/ACL that would be blocking the traffic is completely on the destination end, which I have no access to.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Hmmm. You could try to ping from your location as the affected IP address and see if anything changes. If you suddenly get timeouts I am inclined to think that firewall is doing something to the traffic. Part of me thinks this could be useful and part of me thinks this will yield the obvious result, but I'm not sure how to test gear you don't have access to within the constraints of legal working environment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Hmmm. You could try to ping from your location as the affected IP address and see if anything changes. If you suddenly get timeouts I am inclined to think that firewall is doing something to the traffic. Part of me thinks this could be useful and part of me thinks this will yield the obvious result, but I'm not sure how to test gear you don't have access to within the constraints of legal working environment.

Yeah, I've already opened a case with the IT folks on the other end, and since everything is up and running in a way that isn't just stuck together with duct tape and bubblegum, I'm feeling pretty OK at the moment.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Inspector_666 posted:

We haven't made any changes on the Sonicwall, which is another reason I'm really leaning towards not admitting any culpability.

Bingo, I'd bet :10bux: this is your culprit. I had a client with a Sonicwall that randomly decided their internal homepage address needed to be blocked, effectively preventing work for about an hour. No rhyme or reason to it, nobody logged into it recently or rebooted it. :iiam:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in:

"I’m locked up in Navision. Can you please get me out?"

I'm pretty excited, this is my first time helping someone bust out of the slammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis

Less than a minute later...

"Nevermind, I got out."

I didn't even get the chance to bake a cake with a file in it. :saddowns:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

neogeo0823 posted:

Coincidentally, this is also how my day is going

This comic is always fantastic, and also symbolic of the last two weeks.

It's been a pretty horrid migration from Crusty Server 2008 R2 > New and shiny Server 2012 R2, as last week was fun times with folder redirection and permissions not working properly so no one could properly access their documents while simultaneously being stopped from manipulating them.

Then this week rolls around with E-mail problems, everyone gets blasted with constant Outlook password prompts which don't work along with Microsoft mail rejections to a lot of external addresses (i.e. our loving customers).

Of course I enact the legendary spoken words which should never pass the lips of men; "Nothing could possibly be worse than this!"

quote:

Your organisation access has been suspended, have a nice day

Love,
Salesforce

We haven't paid the bill, holy loving poo poo. To all finance workers in the world, if you piss off on holiday for a few weeks please ensure you sort your loving house in order for everyone else.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Final day at the job was yesterday. Over the two weeks I documented anything I told the temp guy that wasn't documented already.

On the way out the boss told me they'd hired a replacement - guy works for a testing sub-division of Cisco that's folding at the end of September, so he starts October 1st.

Meanwhile they are paying the expensive contractor to bring in a sysadmin-level guy for the month of September. O___O

The part-timer guy was on call last night and today. I hope nothing came in. He has a total of two weeks experience.

I wish the C-levels didn't make a financial decision regarding my role and its helpdesk responsibility that led to :yotj: but now instead of stressing out over helpdesk, I get to confront impostor syndrome out the wazoo. Hyper-V, SCCM/SCOM, holy poo poo, last time I touched SCCM/SCOM I didn't touch poo poo and just knew it was there, and responded to alerts. Poorly.

At least I feel like I know how to project the right professional image - I want to be assertive, understanding, but damned if I go the extra mile of my own volition anymore. Gotta override the instinct to please the boss, and instead work on making sure I can do what I can do.

Anyway, e/n over. Anyone have pointers for someone who hasn't touched unified communications before on how to handle a Lync 2013 Enterprise deployment involving UC, presence, and IM?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MJP posted:

Anyone have pointers for someone who hasn't touched unified communications before on how to handle a Lync 2013 Enterprise deployment involving UC, presence, and IM?

Same way all the others do. Heavy drinking and prayer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

but now instead of stressing out over helpdesk, I get to confront impostor syndrome out the wazoo

Just print this out and hang it up at your desk for reference.
Report: Today The Day They Find Out You’re A Fraud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

go3 posted:

Same way all the others do. Heavy drinking and prayer.

Yeah, nobody really knows what they are doing. Especially with Lync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, nobody really knows what they are doing. Especially with Lync.
Skype for Business! :pseudo:

• Locked thread