Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ixian posted:

Wasn't babbling about it, merely referencing it as it was relevant to the discussion of Microwave + Internet - but then, you'd know that. Like you'd also know that at 10GHz and above weather becomes a significant factor with signal attenuation. In any case this debate has gone beyond ridiculous because most people aren't buying a wireless link for their house to replace cable for streaming Netflix anytime soon whether it works perfectly or not.

3.65 LTE works fine if you have a wireless ISP that supplies that service. Nobody provides service on 10ghz.

You are ridiculous for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

3.65 LTE works fine if you have a wireless ISP that supplies that service. Nobody provides service on 10ghz.

You are ridiculous for sure

loving hell find me a LTE provider that offers a service with uncapped downloads in the states, that was already covered, you are debating now to be a smug prick, I'm done. Congrads, you win at the internet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anyone who is arguing that any sort of wireless internet in the US is going to have speeds and data caps that allow for a reasonable streaming-as-primary-source setup is full of poo poo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone who is arguing that any sort of wireless internet in the US is going to have speeds and data caps that allow for a reasonable streaming-as-primary-source setup is full of poo poo.

It's not LTE or through the cellular but it can be done.

http://ranchwireless.com/residential-internet-plans/

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

It's not LTE or through the cellular but it can be done.

http://ranchwireless.com/residential-internet-plans/

$90 a month for 6 megabits with a 150-gig cap is loving terrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheScott2K posted:

+$30 for a public ip

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheScott2K posted:

TheScott2K posted:

It can be done, and between that and dial up is a no brainier

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

blugu64 posted:

It can be done, and between that and dial up is a no brainier

The original question was in reference to how to "get away from cable companies for Internet too." Yea, I guess if you live in the middle of goddamn nowhere and have no other choice, this poo poo tier internet with a garbage cap that costs way too much is a viable option. If there's cable in your neighborhood, though, this thing isn't going to get you off of it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
As bad as Ranch Wireless might seem it's still miles ahead of satellite, so I'm sure there are a number of people who are glad it exists. It may not be the best value for money around but if you choose to live in the middle of nowhere sparse infrastructure is just a way of life.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ixian posted:

loving hell find me a LTE provider that offers a service with uncapped downloads in the states, that was already covered, you are debating now to be a smug prick, I'm done. Congrads, you win at the internet.

Says the guy who loves to name call. You're so salty when you talk poo poo it's crazy.

There's lots of providers in major cities that offer unlimited licensed wireless. You keep flip flopping around like a retarded fish, the original comment I was replying to was you saying microwave is poo poo no matter what and ask any office who has one. I told you you're wrong and you go off about data caps and nobody has that and residential service. Blech. Keep your tech "knowledge" to yourself next time.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I'll be honest, I know little to nothing about the new media streaming technologies. The extent of my experience goes as far as: Netflix Streaming, MLB.TV, and Twitch, Yup.

Anyway I just saw a posting on Craiglist about a local company modding one of these media players. They say it comes with over 100,000 movies and tv shows (I'm guessing it's like they combined netflix, amazon, etc into one database), and you can even watch live sports. I get the physical hardware aspect of it, I'm just wondering about the software. Anyway, if anyone has some more information on exactly what I would be buying that would be awesome!

craigslist posted:

Our Quad Core Jailbroken Media Players are brand new with a 1 year warranty, and come fully loaded with the latest add-ons for your endless hours of entertainment.
All you need is a high speed internet connection and you are ready to go. We take all the headaches away from you.
Over 100,000 movies and TV shows, live TV, international channels (call or text for international availability), android apps and games from Google play store, and much more!!!
Our Box comes loaded with a special edition version of Kodi. This version is commercially supported, which means real development effort is being put into this amazing software to better the Box for your streaming pleasures. The Box is capable of some pretty nifty feats, such as true full HD 1080p and 4k streaming and decoding in this special edition. Unlike all of the other TV boxes on the market, the Box doesn't suffer from audio/video sync issues and lack of support for add-ons. Everything simply works.
And for the best part:
Box Technologies fully programs your units with the latest and best add-ons for thousands of hours of movies, TV shows, international channels, sporting events and much more!!!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

10bux posted:

I'll be honest, I know little to nothing about the new media streaming technologies. The extent of my experience goes as far as: Netflix Streaming, MLB.TV, and Twitch, Yup.

Anyway I just saw a posting on Craiglist about a local company modding one of these media players. They say it comes with over 100,000 movies and tv shows (I'm guessing it's like they combined netflix, amazon, etc into one database), and you can even watch live sports. I get the physical hardware aspect of it, I'm just wondering about the software. Anyway, if anyone has some more information on exactly what I would be buying that would be awesome!

It's almost guaranteed to be a Kodi box with a handful of 3rd party addons for (probably illegal) streaming.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Nerdrock posted:

It's almost guaranteed to be a Kodi box with a handful of 3rd party addons for (probably illegal) streaming.

I'd lay money on it. Or, more to the point, I wouldn't.

Schemes like this are one of the reasons, if not the reason, the XBMC foundation changed the name to Kodi, so they could at least try to control the copyright around it. Too many shady operators doing poo poo like this - taking a cheap knock off Android box sourced from Taiwan or China (or just China, if you are the Chinese government), loading it up with various pirate stream plugins of dubious quality, and charging a premium for the service. All of what I know about the latter is that even bringing them up on the official Kodi site these days is a fast way to get banned there.

The irony is Kodi got kicked off the Amazon app store and yet you can buy these same knock off boxes - pre-loaded with Kodi and the addons - right off Amazon shopping no problem.

10Bux I'd avoid it. God knows what else they put on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

10bux posted:

Like others said, it's probably a $40-60 generic Chinese Android box that they downloaded Kodi onto along with every illicit add-on they could get their hands on. And I'd bet they're selling it at 2-3x markup despite it taking them 5-10 minutes to flash the image on it. Pretty good racket if you have zero morals and don't mind running the risk of getting arrested. (There's two arrests going on with piracy right now. The owner/staff of torrent sites and idiots selling preflashed piracy boxes on Craigslist/Ebay)

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Hahaha okay, I probably should have been more clear that I wasn't seriously considering purchasing it. I'm a sports nut with lovely wifi, so I don't expect to drop cable anytime soon. I was extremely curious though! I did expect whatever they are doing to be illegal, but I thought they were at least doing some time consuming modding or something.

Here's the website: http://www.blvkbox.com

And if Call Me Charlie's numbers are correct, he predicted the markup accurately (asking price $200).

I know no one doubted it was legit, but after looking at their website, this is a pretty good guarantee they're shady as gently caress:

quote:

We are currently looking for others who want to become Craigslist Sellers in their respective cities. The Blvk Box sells itself and
you can be your own Independent Blvk Box reseller in your town, making money and helping others beat the system. Email us today!!!

10bux fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 31, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

10bux posted:

Hahaha okay, I probably should have been more clear that I wasn't seriously considering purchasing it. I'm a sports nut with lovely wifi, so I don't expect to drop cable anytime soon. I was extremely curious though! I did expect whatever they are doing to be illegal, but I thought they were at least doing some time consuming modding or something.

Here's the website: http://www.blvkbox.com

And if Call Me Charlie's numbers are correct, he predicted the markup accurately (asking price $200).

I know no one doubted it was legit, but after looking at their website, this is a pretty good guarantee they're shady as gently caress:

Haha. I'm having trouble finding the exact box they're selling but here's one with identical specs for $53 shipped direct from China http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...1861567274.html and you can get them even cheaper if you buy in bulk from Alibaba.

And I'm doubting these assholes did any time consuming modding but, even if they did, they'd only have to do it once. After that, it's just pushing the system image to new boxes.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll be at a wedding on Saturday night, and would like to record a college football game from my hotel room.

Things I have: Laptop (no HDMI input), Antenna, (probably) a reliable signal, external 1TB HD if needed

Things I doubt I'll have: access to play around with the room's TV/cables

How do I get this game onto a laptop/hard drive in the form of a recording?

Simple TV seemed like it might've been a solution, but the reviews on Amazon are nearly universally negative. So I am looking for a Simple TV alternative I guess? Any ideas? Not having much luck trawling the internet for an answer.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Arkane posted:

I'll be at a wedding on Saturday night, and would like to record a college football game from my hotel room.

Things I have: Laptop (no HDMI input), Antenna, (probably) a reliable signal, external 1TB HD if needed

Things I doubt I'll have: access to play around with the room's TV/cables

How do I get this game onto a laptop/hard drive in the form of a recording?

Simple TV seemed like it might've been a solution, but the reviews on Amazon are nearly universally negative. So I am looking for a Simple TV alternative I guess? Any ideas? Not having much luck trawling the internet for an answer.

Get an HDHomerun, a router (can be local network, you don't need Internet) and use that with PVR software. There might be another quicker solution (USB antenna?), but that's just off the top of my head.

Edit: There is a Hauppage 1191 USB HDTV tuner on Amazon for $75. Never used it but that's probably simpler.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 1, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hauppage looks perfect, thanks man...any recommendations on software?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Arkane posted:

I think it comes with basic software for playback and recording, but if you wanted to go further, you could try setting it up with Windows Media Center, Kodi, or something else like GB-PVR.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

For what you are doing the software it comes with, crappy as it is (I think it is still some variant of WinTV) will probably do. Don't expect a Tivo-like experience. Do expect a lot of fiddling.

In fact you are probably in for a lot more work then you think you are for a one-off setup in a hotel unless you have done this before. Kodi is a great front end but requires a server backend - GB-PVR works with it. It is not quite an out of the box experience setting it all up though. If you have Windows 7 or 8 Pro/Ultimate on your laptop and can access Windows Media Center that is probably your best bet - easiest to set up with the USB tuner, comes with a guide that still provides free data, will auto-scan channels, etc.

With that you might have a shot getting it set up and setting the game to record before you leave, and actually having it on your laptop to watch when you get back :)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Silly Burrito posted:

I think it comes with basic software for playback and recording, but if you wanted to go further, you could try setting it up with Windows Media Center, Kodi, or something else like GB-PVR.

Back in ye olden days of video capture, dropped frames were a huge problem. Is that still an issue? I want to be able to record video at a higher rate than my cheapo DVD recorders.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in ye olden days of video capture, dropped frames were a huge problem. Is that still an issue? I want to be able to record video at a higher rate than my cheapo DVD recorders.

What we're talking about here isn't video capture per se but recording a stream off an actual ATSC tuner. There are also devices that will capture the video/audio output of another device, such as a cable box (game consoles are the most popular though, pre-Twitch integration).

The technology has improved but a lot of factors go in to the experience. In general if you are using a decent, recent, well supported tuner/capture device, a good back end (GB-PVR, TVHeadEnd, etc.) and a good front end (Kodi, Emby, etc.) and your source is decent....you'll be mostly ok.

I used to do TV capture off my cable boxes for years with XBMC and a couple HDPVRs, it was a total pain in the rear end at times. It was a 95% thing - 95% of the time it worked perfectly well, but 5% problems is enough to be really loving annoying.

These days I just don't watch as much Live TV. I watch OTA when it's on and am trying Sling TV out still. Ditched cable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

You can plug an antenna into an XBox One now and you get a pause/rewind window of 30 minutes. DVR capability coming in 2016. That'll basically make it the One True Box for cordcutters, since it will have the magic combo of live TV/DVR and the streaming services, but of course CONSOLE WARS so a large segment of the population will refuse to buy it.

Whether or not DVR is a useful feature at all sort of depends on how many tuners it has. The XBOX One doesn't have a tuner built-in, as it is just an overlay of what you're getting from your cable/satellite box. Hauppage makes an antenna tuner dongle, but it is only one tuner as far as I'm aware.

DVR feature is pretty worthless for most people if it can only record one thing at a time or you can only watch what you're currently recording. Unless of course they release another sort of tuner dongle, or whatever.

But of course CONSOLE WARS

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor Butts posted:

Whether or not DVR is a useful feature at all sort of depends on how many tuners it has. The XBOX One doesn't have a tuner built-in, as it is just an overlay of what you're getting from your cable/satellite box. Hauppage makes an antenna tuner dongle, but it is only one tuner as far as I'm aware.

DVR feature is pretty worthless for most people if it can only record one thing at a time or you can only watch what you're currently recording. Unless of course they release another sort of tuner dongle, or whatever.

But of course CONSOLE WARS

Its really too bad they didn't pair up with Silicondust and make the xbone hdhomerun compatible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hulu just announced a new "No Commercials" plan. The normal plan is $8 a month. For $12 a month, you get to watch almost everything (there are about six shows as exceptions) with no ads at all.

Damned tempting. I get the argument "We shouldn't have to pay more for this", but that's just how Hulu works. The unskippable commercials are easily the most annoying thing about Hulu (skipping around a Monday Night Raw can get painful at times). I might just bite the bullet and give it a shot for 4 more bucks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Netflix is $8, Prime works out to around $8. Hulu really has no excuse

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Silly Burrito posted:

Hulu just announced a new "No Commercials" plan. The normal plan is $8 a month. For $12 a month, you get to watch almost everything (there are about six shows as exceptions) with no ads at all.

I think it's still a pretty good deal at $12 considering the fairly current content, but I'll be sticking with my $8 (free with Bing Rewards for most part) just because I'm used to it. Honestly the commercials are fairly short and at least they are tailored to me enough to where I actually go "oh hey that looks interesting" once in a blue moon. That being said though there are some commercials on there I hate with a passion.

What I hate most is if you just get done watching a commercial and are back to the show, if you skip ahead, it'll usually play the same drat commercial again. Not a huge deal, but drat is it annoying especially if you're only trying to skip ahead a minute or two.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tyson Tomko posted:

What I hate most is if you just get done watching a commercial and are back to the show, if you skip ahead, it'll usually play the same drat commercial again. Not a huge deal, but drat is it annoying especially if you're only trying to skip ahead a minute or two.

Amen to that. I can't stand watching the exact same commercial over and over. That might be one of the best arguments for upgrading: reduce all annoyances and just watch TV the way I want to.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I think the excuse is that you don't have to wait 8-12 months for new episodes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I mean it's not really up to Hulu. Partially it is, but it's also largely those networks holding them over the barrel for licensing costs.

Hopefully if Netflix keeps putting out great original content it'll force them to lower licensing prices to come in line with the other services. Narcos is better than anything Hulu has currently.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Hulu is owned by those networks that's not a real excuse

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

AlmightyBob posted:

Hulu is owned by those networks that's not a real excuse

Networks don't own most of the shows they air. There is a lot to go into licensing a show for streaming. You have to get the network who has broadcasting rights and the actual owners of the show plus probably more people that we have no clue to. If there is music on the show that was only licensed for on-air broadcast that is another hurdle. It's not like a streaming service gets a signature from the CEO of CBS and magically all the content that has aired on their station is available to stream.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jabro posted:

If there is music on the show that was only licensed for on-air broadcast that is another hurdle.

See HouseMD

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If Hulu NoAds gives me all the content that requires a cable sub with out one I'd be happy to pay the $12. Now I just turn on Hulu during the TV seasons, and I freeze it all summer.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't get into hulu since I couldnt binge watch. For example sometimes I only saw the back half of a season listed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's been forever since I paid any attention to Hulu. The adds drove me nuts. How is the catalog for the super premium service? If there's some show I checked out of two years ago can I catch up or is it only the most recent X episodes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone who's ever bitched about ads on hulu drat well better put up the extra $48 a year the no commercial option costs. There's no clearer way to drive home the message that ads suck and are ruining everything.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the clearest message would be to not pay until ad free is $8 a month because paying for ads is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlmightyBob posted:

the clearest message would be to not pay until ad free is $8 a month because paying for ads is bullshit

Yeah, that's not the way things work. You pay for cable too and see ads, this is a OnDemand version of that.

Not paying for it at all sends the message "People aren't interesting in streaming content next day under a subscription model" and nothing more.