Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Elucidarius posted:

So I'm currently working in an internship in Information Security and I'm looking into more certs. Currently I have Security+.

Would it be more worthwhile to go GSEC or CCNA/CCENT?

I've noticed a lot of jobs in security want at least one GIAC certification. I'm still at the early stages of picking a focus area so I figure if nothing else GSEC would show I know SOMETHING. Oh I'm also about to finish a Master's in Systems Engineering with a focus in Cyberforensics in December.

Any suggestions?

I think GSEC is nearly equivalent to Sec+. I wouldn't bother with that one. I'd either go with GCED(basically sec++) or GCIH for an entry level GIAC cert. If you can get to a live SANS 504 with John Strand, you'll have a great time.

Edit: I'd only bother with CCNA if you're interested especially in network engineering. Otherwise CCENT or Net+ should be more than sufficient networking knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
it has come to my attention that my school have given me a free Lynda subscription :getin:

has anyone ever used this for cert studying? is it useful?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
Picked up my Security+ earlier this week (that was a lot easier than the Network+ for me, got an 823). Darill Gibson's book made that thing a piece of cake.

Next up on my WGU curriculum is getting my MCSA 8.1 and 2012's out of the way. With the 70-687 and 70-688 being retired by November 30th, I have to really rush on it. However, after going through the first few modules on the CBT nuggets and the MeasureUp labs, then trying to gauge my progress on the Transcender material for the topics I've cover, I do not feel prepared by these materials at all. What is the best resource for studying for these tests?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Doug posted:

I think GSEC is nearly equivalent to Sec+. I wouldn't bother with that one. I'd either go with GCED(basically sec++) or GCIH for an entry level GIAC cert. If you can get to a live SANS 504 with John Strand, you'll have a great time.

Edit: I'd only bother with CCNA if you're interested especially in network engineering. Otherwise CCENT or Net+ should be more than sufficient networking knowledge.

SANS 505 was a great class.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Classes I have left at WGU:

Kinda losing motivation...though I've completed my minimum full time load this term.

The OS classes are Linux (final exams are the comptia linux certs). The designing security class is CCNA: Security.

If I wasn't lazy I'd do all this in 3 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dude, don't lose motivation, take it from someone who took 2 terms longer to finish WGU than I should have, it wasn't worth it. Just power through it. Aside from the CCNA security the rest of that is a cake walk.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Thanks. I have been somewhat lazy these past few weeks after I made my minimum credit units for the term, and my term ends at the end of September.

Maybe could just use a vacation. :)

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

starry skies above posted:

Thanks. I have been somewhat lazy these past few weeks after I made my minimum credit units for the term, and my term ends at the end of September.

Maybe could just use a vacation. :)

Hey, I just finished my enrolled classes early and my term also ends in September! I plan on starting to study for CCNA Security on Monday, if you wanna work through it together or ask each other questions about the material periodically I'd be down!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Just remember something is happening with CCNA security and the current test as it is will not be offered past December 1st.

I now have stacks of 2800s and 2950s to sim on, I'll report back if it was any more effective than packet tracer.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

crunk dork posted:

Hey, I just finished my enrolled classes early and my term also ends in September! I plan on starting to study for CCNA Security on Monday, if you wanna work through it together or ask each other questions about the material periodically I'd be down!

Thank you for the offer. I'm saving that one for my last term. I want to knock out the linux and programming courses first. Then it will be easy street to graduation (with the exception of the CCNA Security which might take a bit of work!)

How does CCNA Security compare to ICND 1 & 2?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just remember something is happening with CCNA security and the current test as it is will not be offered past December 1st.

The school seems to be on point about updating the curriculum as certs change.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I now have stacks of 2800s and 2950s to sim on, I'll report back if it was any more effective than packet tracer.

Do you have the link to where they said they wouldn't offer the test after that date? If they are doing a major overhaul to it and making it more useful/modern I might take my Linux classes until the new test rolls around.

Need to ask my mentor at the school about it too and having a reference would be cool.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I mentioned it in the thread earlier but I am thinking of enrolling at a school to help motivate me to get cracking on certs. I already have a BS in IT Security from a state school so I would want to get a Masters if I were to do it.

Not really sure if it's worth it get a Masters in IT Security or if I should just wait and see if I want to do something like an MBA in the future. I could always audit some classes I guess or just stop being a bum.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've seen people explain it here before, but what's the appeal in WGU? So many people here seem to be enrolled in it.

Do you guys that are not already have your Bachelor's degrees? Cause if that's the case, the appeal is pretty obvious. But if you already do, what's the added benefit of going with WGU?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've already got a bachelors, but I have been contemplating going back for a BS in IT Security; my reasons would be:

1. It's a regionally accredited, non-profit online school. There might be more, but off the top of my head it's WGU and CSU Global that aren't for-profit online schools. I like the flexibility with online but am a bit wary of for-profit education. I'd never go to Phoenix, but even some of the smaller schools can be iffy.
2. You pay by semester, not by # of credits. If you're a slow student (not stupid, just a student who only wants to take a class or two at a time), this is probably a downside, but if you have the time, this is a gigantic cost savings if you can cram some extra classes in per term.
3. A lot of the undergrad IT programs have certificates built into the curriculum, meaning sitting exams for CCNA, A+, etc. is built into the tuition.
4. They seem to have a good reputation; regional accreditation is big (though not an end-all be-all) and their teaching program is NCATE certified and highly rated, which while not IT is pretty impressive to me.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think I've seen people explain it here before, but what's the appeal in WGU? So many people here seem to be enrolled in it.

Do you guys that are not already have your Bachelor's degrees? Cause if that's the case, the appeal is pretty obvious. But if you already do, what's the added benefit of going with WGU?

I don't have a Bachelor's so that's the biggest value for me. Qualifying for a ton of grants and stuff to make tuition dirt cheap or nonexistent is the other thing. I think, and don't quote me, that the full cost of tuition is still cheaper than individually purchasing the study materials and vouchers.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've already got a bachelors, but I have been contemplating going back for a BS in IT Security; my reasons would be:

1. It's a regionally accredited, non-profit online school. There might be more, but off the top of my head it's WGU and CSU Global that aren't for-profit online schools. I like the flexibility with online but am a bit wary of for-profit education. I'd never go to Phoenix, but even some of the smaller schools can be iffy.
2. You pay by semester, not by # of credits. If you're a slow student (not stupid, just a student who only wants to take a class or two at a time), this is probably a downside, but if you have the time, this is a gigantic cost savings if you can cram some extra classes in per term.
3. A lot of the undergrad IT programs have certificates built into the curriculum, meaning sitting exams for CCNA, A+, etc. is built into the tuition.
4. They seem to have a good reputation; regional accreditation is big (though not an end-all be-all) and their teaching program is NCATE certified and highly rated, which while not IT is pretty impressive to me.

Have any Canadians ever enrolled in WGU courses?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
im guessing nobody here has used Lynda for cert studying?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So i'm diving into certifying myself. My boss and my senior techs are all telling me to start with the MCSA exams.
My boss has paid for this course http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Installing-and-Configuring-Windows-Server-2012-R2-exam-70-410.html
Is that course sufficient enough to take the 70-410 exam? So far the 70-410 doesn't seem to be difficult, just a lot of information to take in . But I read some of you here found it difficult and that scared me shitless. And my senior took the 417 and even he said it was quite difficult. So I want to prepare the most I can for the MCSA exams. Are there any tips? Would building a lab help?

I'm also starting my Bachelor degree study in IT Systems and Networking engineer today.
This study will be combined with my work. My employer is covering all costs for the tuition. Besides that i'll be working 36 hours a week and will be spending 2 nights a week at school. Sadly the school doesn't have programs for certifications. I'd like to get the mcsa during this busy schedule.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 31, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Race Realists posted:

Lynda seems to me to be about learning common tasks and applying them, whereas the cert materials are about memorizing the nit picky crap they ask you on the exam. Lynda is good but definitely not thorough enough to be your only resource for cert prep.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Race Realists posted:

Not familiar with their offerings to be honest.

Sefal posted:

So i'm diving into certifying myself. My boss and my senior techs are all telling me to start with the MCSA exams.
My boss has paid for this course http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Installing-and-Configuring-Windows-Server-2012-R2-exam-70-410.html
Is that course sufficient enough to take the 70-410 exam? So far the 70-410 doesn't seem to be difficult, just a lot of information to take in . But I read some of you here found it difficult and that scared me shitless. And my senior took the 417 and even he said it was quite difficult. So I want to prepare the most I can for the MCSA exams. Are there any tips? Would building a lab help?

I'm also starting my Bachelor degree study in IT Systems and Networking engineer today.
This study will be combined with my work. My employer is covering all costs for the tuition. Besides that i'll be working 36 hours a week and will be spending 2 nights a week at school. Sadly the school doesn't have programs for certifications. I'd like to get the mcsa during this busy schedule.

Here's my thoughts about studying for Microsoft IT certifications. For the record I've taken quite a few Microsoft Exams. No one resource is going to fully prepare you for an exam. This isn't a high school or college exam where all the information you need for the test is in Chapters 7,8, and 9 of you text book and if you know it you know enough to pass. The newer exams focus on a lot of information, much of it very Microsoft specific that sometime doesn't apply in real world IT environments.

I've never found one resource that really covered everything you need to know. Some books only gloss over certain topics and don't go far enough in depth. A book that covered everything for the exam would be 3000 pages. To be successful you really need to know all of the technologies being tested inside and out. Books are fine to start with, but here's what I've found to be the best way to prepare for Microsoft exams.

1: Go to the Microsoft Exam page and print out the skills measured section. This is what the exam is going to cover. You need to know all this poo poo COLD.

2: TechExams forum usually has a great list of resources for the various exams. The 70-410 thread is here http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

3: TechNet is your best resource, it's a massive trove of authoritative information for all things Microsoft.

4: Nothing beats doing all these tasks in a lab. I learn so much more actually doing these tasks than just reading about it. You can read about installing Server Core, but get you a VM environment and actually deploy Server Core multiple times until you understand everything.

Go down the skills measured list and do each of the tasks until you understand all the options, when and when not to use certain features, etc. The case study questions on the exam are designed to be a little tricky and if you don't know that feature X doesn't work in environment Y you'll fail that question.

There's no easy way to study for these things really. If you go in using only a single resource though you're probably going to fail.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
This may have been answered here already - any word on when the A+ 901/902 is going to be released? I'm studying like a madman and don't want my efforts to go to waste if it's coming soon.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

stuntwaffle posted:

This may have been answered here already - any word on when the A+ 901/902 is going to be released? I'm studying like a madman and don't want my efforts to go to waste if it's coming soon.

Last I looked (In august) It said "soon" which probably means next year. They haven't given an expiration on the 800 series, and they usually give a substantial amount of time to take the test (6 months to a year) from what I've seen.

Comptia has started a 3 year test cycle, so it'll probably be valid until next year as the 700 series expired in 2013.

As for your question, the guides are already out, and I think it comes out sometime late this year (November I heard somewhere?).

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 2, 2015

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Ozu posted:

Any ever used Linux Academy? Thinking about it as a supplement to the standard RHCSA/RHCE materials, $20/month.

Their RHCSA course is pretty good but it seems unfinished. The lab servers/live labs are very useful for screwing around and breaking stuff. There was some stuff in the RHCSA that wasn't covered anywhere in their course but hopefully they'll improve it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Welp, failed the MCSA 70-410 exam. 540/700

Test asked lots of questions on stuff the book I had (MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R02COSW) either didn't mention or mentioned briefly. Also lots of 'Pick the commands/cmdlet sequence to do X'

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
WGUs material on learning Python is not sufficient. It's a Udacity course with some UVA professor. I actually ordered a book on the subject from Amazon and will just go through that.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
My Sybex Net+ books came in today.

Those 300 flashcards should come in handy i guess

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
haha holy poo poo this virtual simulation lab is literally just a gimped version of packet tracer :classiclol:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

starry skies above posted:

WGUs material on learning Python is not sufficient. It's a Udacity course with some UVA professor. I actually ordered a book on the subject from Amazon and will just go through that.

Ugh. Let me know how that goes and be sure to let the course mentor that it's trash. WGU is normally pretty good about changing things around if they don't work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

WGU looks compelling and will contact them for more info. I already bought the voucher for CompTIA+ though should I just take the exam instead? I have a textbook but otherwise I've been self-studying along the way.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Danith posted:

Test asked lots of questions on stuff the book I had (MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R02COSW) either didn't mention or mentioned briefly. Also lots of 'Pick the commands/cmdlet sequence to do X'

all of the horror stories in this thread have convinced me to never, ever take a Microsoft test

ever

Race Realists posted:

My Sybex Net+ books came in today.

Those 300 flashcards should come in handy i guess

looking at the reviews. ah poo poo i really hope i didnt just piss away nearly $70 :ohdear:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 8, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've been kind of studying on and off but not really putting myself into it so I went ahead and scheduled the CCENT for the end of October to push myself.

Oh god I hope I didn't just waste 150 bucks.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Garrand posted:

I've been kind of studying on and off but not really putting myself into it so I went ahead and scheduled the CCENT for the end of October to push myself.

Oh god I hope I didn't just waste 150 bucks.

You can reschedule any time up to 24 hours before the test. I'm the same way, a hard deadline helps to keep the heat on and actually get me to study. Get your subnetting down and you'll be fine.I

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Ugh. I'm taking the course for the OSCP certification starting Saturday.

I'm nervous I'm not good enough but at the same time my main purpose for taking the class is learning and not necessarily the certification.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is anyone here a member of a professional organization?
Where I live we have the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists. It's an annual fee to be a member.

Are these sorts of groups beneficial to have on your resume?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Danith posted:

Yeah, like I mentioned before the books are not enough to pass these exams. A book that covered 100% of everything you need to know would be 3,000 pages.

If this was your first time taking a Microsoft Exam just experiencing the test format for the first time is worth it. Now you know how things are going to look and what to expect, you can better prepare next time.

edit: I just looked at the book you linked. Personally I don't have a high opinion of anything Sybex publishes and tend to avoid their titles.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 8, 2015

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Ashley Madison posted:

Is anyone here a member of a professional organization?
Where I live we have the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists. It's an annual fee to be a member.

Are these sorts of groups beneficial to have on your resume?

I'm a member of Information Systems Security Association(ISSA) and it's been somewhat beneficial. First, my employer pays all dues because they can be a bit high. However, the talks are usually very technical, it's a great opportunity for networking/job searching and our local chapter has an annual conference that's free for members. Plus I get to leave once a month for a free lunch, so that's always a good thing.

I'm not sure if it would matter much on a resume, but I still think it's valuable for professional development. Moreso, in my opinion than the local Microsoft Users Group which tends to have either very bleeding edge tech type talks or thinly veiled marketing talks. I still go for the free lunch but I'm not sad if I miss one. YMMV on that though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Earlier I was bitching about my N+ and A+ expiring soon even though I got a CCNA in the interim. Well I decided to just start studying for the Security+ to keep them current plus it's nice to have I suppose. I bought the Darrel Gibson book and so far so good. Going to schedule it for the end of the month, I have to pass before 9/30 to stay current with everything.

Anything to especially focus on? So far it seems like a lot of common sense and memorizing vocab.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Personally I don't have a high opinion of anything Sybex publishes and tend to avoid their titles.

ugh, NOW you assholes start shittalking sybex... :smith:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Race Realists posted:

ugh, NOW you assholes start shittalking sybex... :smith:

I've used them in the past for my Network+ and CCNA. I preferred the Sybex book to Odom's CCNA book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I just ordered the CCNA data centre 640-911 text book by Odom after going through my Sybex/Lammele book a few times. Will report on how effect they are if I pass :v: