Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm in the Middle East and there is a giant Warhammer chaos warrior statue in this mall.

Fake edit: witch hunter too.

I suspect that those are the ones made for W:AR. There were about 4 each of both types made. One of each was shipped off to Mythic in the US, two sat in the GOA HQ in Dublin and the fourth set was kept in boxes to be set up on the stand for game conventions. When GOA was closed, one of the two sets in the HQ was nabbed by one of the German Community Managers who was also Saudi. IIRC, he lugged them about with him from move to move before selling them on eBay. I would bet someone else's cash money that the statues in your mall were originally his.

I can't find any photos with a brief Google search but, if the Witch Hunter is a vaguely Korean looking girl and the Chaos Warrior is a big blue dude with a red axe held over his head, then it's them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Vondizimo posted:

Whereabouts? I was in Dubai recently and the GW importer I spoke to had some real horror stories about dealing with the authorities.

Do tell!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Otisburg posted:

On the other, isn't the whole drat game nothing but representational art, and therefore haram?

It's not art, it's game pieces.

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure that's worse, if anything.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I saw this picture today:

And seriously for a second parsed it as a bunch of Necrons with a C'tan.

That floaty dude freaks me out because all I can think about is the amount of flash/seams that must be lurking between each of the... Wings? Fronds?
Does not look like a fun thing to put together and make presentable.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Helen Highwater posted:

I suspect that those are the ones made for W:AR. There were about 4 each of both types made. One of each was shipped off to Mythic in the US, two sat in the GOA HQ in Dublin and the fourth set was kept in boxes to be set up on the stand for game conventions. When GOA was closed, one of the two sets in the HQ was nabbed by one of the German Community Managers who was also Saudi. IIRC, he lugged them about with him from move to move before selling them on eBay. I would bet someone else's cash money that the statues in your mall were originally his.

I can't find any photos with a brief Google search but, if the Witch Hunter is a vaguely Korean looking girl and the Chaos Warrior is a big blue dude with a red axe held over his head, then it's them.

Going to have to try uploading the pictures later, but you got it in one. .They even still have the (horribly aged) Age of Reckoning stickers on the base.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Sigmarine Prime's base is certainly a thing. All those overlapping swirly bits, none of which have anything to do with the actual model. :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

chrisoya posted:

Sigmarine Prime's base is certainly a thing. All those overlapping swirly bits, none of which have anything to do with the actual model. :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Those are his farts.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Dude is going to get shot to pieces turn one of every game at that height

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

What the hell are the globe-y things swirling around? Why aren't they hammers?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tiny reality balls

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

IIRC the fluff for that model says that if you listen carefully, each of those balls in that ridiculously swirly poo poo says "try recasting this, fuckers"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

TKIY posted:

What the hell are the globe-y things swirling around? Why aren't they hammers?

Sigmar is about more than just hammers. He also has comets, and SS runes I mean lightning bolts.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Thirsty Dog posted:

IIRC the fluff for that model says that if you listen carefully, each of those balls in that ridiculously swirly poo poo says "try recasting this, fuckers"
^ This. If you look at a lot of GW's recent releases, they have scads of thin, teeny fiddly bits, which suck for casting in resin. It is a pretty obvious reaction to the fact that the Chinese recasters are eating GW's lunch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ What is the saying? Never attribute to malice what can be explained with stupidity?

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Dude is going to get shot to pieces turn one of every game at that height

He has some of the worse close combat rules unless he stays home for most of the game powering up his hammer. He than deepstrikes onto the board and flings comets into people.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
I can't say anything about the game yet because I haven't even read the rules. I just recently bought the boxed set and downloaded the rules because I really like the way the models look, especially the Stormcast Eternals (irreverently referred to as "Sigmarines" by some). I've been busy lately, but I'm looking forward to assembling and painting the models. Like I said, I really like the Stormcast Eternal models.

As I understand it, in old WHFB, units (aside from skirmishers) stayed in big blocks of infantry. They moved in those blocks, they wheeled to turn in those blocks and they would reform in thos blocks to adjust facing. This is all well and good with troops on a parade ground, showing off how well they have been drilled, but troops fighting the enemy, engaging in combat, charging etc, it just doesnt work. Formations like that would last as long as they weren't in contact with the enemy or being shot at by artillery. The moment either of those things happened, they would break up naturally, every man with his own space in which to fight.

enrious fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 30, 2015

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ilor posted:

^ This. If you look at a lot of GW's recent releases, they have scads of thin, teeny fiddly bits, which suck for casting in resin. It is a pretty obvious reaction to the fact that the Chinese recasters are eating GW's lunch.

*they have intricate, finely sculpted detail, of the sort only found on the glorious Games Workshop Citadel Miniatures range.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LordAba posted:

^^^ What is the saying? Never attribute to malice what can be explained with stupidity?

He has some of the worse close combat rules unless he stays home for most of the game powering up his hammer. He than deepstrikes onto the board and flings comets into people.

Also, he only gains the number of attacks he would've had if he'd just stayed and fought all game while also throwing down comets, it just keeps him out of danger. So like New Sigmar, he likes to stay at home and hide from danger then show up and claim he won everything by himself.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Those swirly things would be an absolute nightmare to paint I think.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Celestant-Prime

Wow its loving all over the place, what a weird model.

Also holy poo poo sigmarines are boring

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

Sigmar is about more than just hammers. He also has comets, and SS runes I mean lightning bolts.

So the little globes are like cages then? For jews?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

enrious posted:

I can't say anything about the game yet because I haven't even read the rules. I just recently bought the boxed set and downloaded the rules because I really like the way the models look, especially the Stormcast Eternals (irreverently referred to as "Sigmarines" by some). I've been busy lately, but I'm looking forward to assembling and painting the models. Like I said, I really like the Stormcast Eternal models.

As I understand it, in old WHFB, units (aside from skirmishers) stayed in big blocks of infantry. They moved in those blocks, they wheeled to turn in those blocks and they would reform in thos blocks to adjust facing. This is all well and good with troops on a parade ground, showing off how well they have been drilled, but troops fighting the enemy, engaging in combat, charging etc, it just doesnt work. Formations like that would last as long as they weren't in contact with the enemy or being shot at by artillery. The moment either of those things happened, they would break up naturally, every man with his own space in which to fight.

Yeah there's no way any fighting forces would ever have manoeuvred in large blocks or formations. Ridiculous

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Serotonin posted:

Yeah there's no way any fighting forces would ever have manoeuvred in large blocks or formations. Ridiculous

Zak Snyder's 300 was a documentary, and the events were filmed in real time.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Even the sigmarine leader is nameless and faceless. And his defining thing too is that he's really good at killing chaos and demons he's badass we're telling you!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

enrious posted:

dakka?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nopantsjack posted:

Ugh gently caress why does it default to the mobile view now?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
do you reckon the designers who made that genuinely thought it looked cool?

or were they crying the whole time???

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ilor posted:

They also suck for assembling in pretty much any material (though admittedly, probably less in hard plastic than anything else), so the legitimate consumer is getting hosed over at the same time.

I can't get over how neatly the GW saga has paralleled similar processes in music and video games. You have the greed -> piracy -> more greed and punishing the consumer -> more piracy cycle, which loops a few times. Eventually legitimate means of bypassing the greed-based business model start to pop up-- iTunes and Steam on the media side, other companies like Mantic on the GW side--and the greed loses a bunch of its remaining customers, though there will always be people who buy GW products just as there are still people who shop at Gamestop.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Moola posted:

do you reckon the designers who made that genuinely thought it looked cool?

or were they crying the whole time???

I bet they think it's the most awesome thing ever. I think the people who think Age of Sigmar is cool are the only ones left at GW.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Ugh gently caress why does it default to the mobile view now?

I'm a bit biased cuz I only ever phone post but I appreciate sites defaulting to mobile versions. :3:

I'm sad that celestial prime wasn't what replaced the space marine statue. I want to imagine engineers telling GW to gently caress off trying to make load bearing ether souls or whatever the hell those are.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

irreverently referred to as "Sigmarines" by some

Either that word doesn't mean what I think it means or it doesn't mean what HE thinks it means, or he takes plastic mans a tad too seriously.

I'm also not getting where these people think pre-modern armies DIDN'T fight in block formations from.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FrostyPox posted:

Either that word doesn't mean what I think it means or it doesn't mean what HE thinks it means, or he takes plastic mans a tad too seriously.

I'm also not getting where these people think pre-modern armies DIDN'T fight in block formations from.

300, Lord of the Rings movies, etc.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

300, Lord of the Rings movies, etc.

Ah, right. I sometimes forget people think that the opening sequence in Borat was an accurate depiction of Kazakhstan and Kazakh people.

I wish I was being sarcastic.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Does the swirly poo poo count as the model or part of the base?

'Cause if it's the latter he'll have a hard time getting within 1/2" to enact hammertime.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ilor posted:

I never considered this before, but now that it has been pointed out I cannot see any possible alternative.

They really do conduct 90% of their business decisions on spite.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Instead of using economics of scale to outproduce and drive piracy off the market, GW tries to bake copy protection into their model designs based on logic that is probably about five years behind current Resign technology capabilities. Sounds about right.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Instead of using economics of scale to outproduce and drive piracy off the market, GW tries to bake copy protection into their model designs based on logic that is probably about five years behind current Resign technology capabilities. Sounds about right.

Well, considering that they seem to honestly believe that they still make the best models in the world and are completely oblivious to any and all other similar products, I think it's entirely likely that they really think that no one anywhere will be able to copy the exceptional detail on this miniature, not this time! :smug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think theyve won because nobody wants to copy that miniature because nobody wants sigmarines

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

warseer.

Idiotic ignorance is BoLS, enthusiastic ignorance is warseer, and frustrated ignorance is dakka.

enrious fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2015

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

enrious posted:

warseer.

Idiotic ignorance is BoLS, enthusiastic ignorance is warseer, and frustrated ignorance is dakka.

Even Warseer has a special "positive discussion of AoS" quarantine thread though. For being so casual and carefree compared the whiny grogs and WAAC assholes, the sigmarons can't really seem to abide by constructive discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

vintagepurple posted:

Even Warseer has a special "positive discussion of AoS" quarantine thread though. For being so casual and carefree compared the whiny grogs and WAAC assholes, the sigmarons can't really seem to abide by constructive discussion.

That thread is where I quoted from and perfectly sums up the enthusiastic ignorance.

To be fair, Warseer tends to be fairly honest - check out the "How has AoS affected your GW buying habits?" thread. Dakka is pretty random, so I must give credit to BoLS' ability to remain consistent.

It's consistently terrible sure, but it's consistent.

• Locked thread