Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked how they made Mr 2's special "Oh Come My Way Karate" instead of Okama, unless that's the official english name change or something. Funny either way.

I'm like 90% certain this was changed in the Japanese One Piece too because of okama being a somewhat negative term for gay or transgender people and Oda being a pretty chill and inoffensive dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Do I seriously get to play as a bunny?
Nope, only 37 playable characters. Curse Bamco-Koei-Force and their inability to add more than 10 playable characters per iteration.

(Obviously they should continue with the incremental updates until in PW11 you can play as Gaimon riding on Smiley or something.)

It's nice that their DLC scheme makes sense this time around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jibo posted:

I'm like 90% certain this was changed in the Japanese One Piece too because of okama being a somewhat negative term for gay or transgender people and Oda being a pretty chill and inoffensive dude.

I thought okamas were just flamboyant gays or hardcore transvestites, or has the language shifted since the 90s?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Manic X posted:

Oh wow, I have WO3, didn't know Ultimate was around. If it's anywhere near as good as WO3 that will make my Summer... sadly.

Ultimate doubles the length of the game, iirc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I thought okamas were just flamboyant gays or hardcore transvestites, or has the language shifted since the 90s?

People make up their own definitions for words these days. You're correct in its meaning

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Tae posted:

"I'm sorry my pants ate all your ice cream."

Luffy feels the most effective between good AoE and a powerful command grab. Advantage is that his aerial bombardment is quick and stays in one place, unlike Zorro's which is basically a missile.

Do I seriously get to play as a bunny?

Luffy is good, though I've been having a lot of fun playing as Tashigi. Her moveset reminds me of Zhou Tai's with a lot of hits in a good AoE.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

EB Games/GameStop broke street date on Nobunaga's Ambition, I'm playing it right now on PS4 and it's certainly something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh, in a good way?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes, some impressions would be nice. I'm still debating if I can really afford it between Mad Max and Metal Gear on Tuesday...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think the first word I'd use for this game is "overwhelming". I've only played it for a couple hours and that's just the tutorial, which I've flubbed a few times at the battle stage because I'd been misunderstanding elements of the Tactics system. I'm going to tackle the first scenario and when I finish it I'll put up some impressions, but I'm having fun with it for now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It just dawned on me that you people can WATCH me play the drat game what with me playing it on PS4.

http://www.twitch.tv/sapolicenaut

I won't have a headset on but I do have my tablet open for text chat.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've heard it's complicated in the Paradox sort of way. Maybe not to the same degree as them, but somewhere in the ballpark.

I'm definitely going to record a bunch of the PC version Friday, and maybe I'll stream some too.

I'll post about it in here when I do, if people still want to know more about the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for those who hung around to watch. I kinda screwed myself over with that Mino invasion, whereas the quest indicator said I had a whole decade before the deadline I thought I had to invade immediately because that old man from the conversation before suddenly attacked the castle with 6000 men. I thought that'd be a walk in the park but didn't realize that'd rattle the entire hornet's nest if I went in there and welp.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Hey Policenaut, if it's not too much trouble, could you turn on archiving on your Twitch channel the next time you play?

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
Since we don't have a One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 thread, I'll ask this here:

I'm trying to unlock Sanji's first skill on the skill poster. I have Tashigi's first skill, so it's open to unlock. It says to "Unleash Sanji's Special Kizuna Attack 4 time(s) in one battle", which I thought meant going into Kizuna Rush with him and using his 'circle' ability. I did it six times in a battle just to make sure, and the skill didn't unlock. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? What do they mean by "Special Kizuna Attack"?

Edit -- On the off-chance someone else has this same problem, I managed to figure it out: You have to use another character and set Sanji as your partner, then use Kizuna Rush and the 'circle' special ability so he pops out, and do it 4 times. You can't actually control Sanji even though it's the same move and the game doesn't specify.

Warm Woolen Pants fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 30, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stayed up all night playing the first scenario and ended up having to quit because I grossly misunderstood the Quests mechanic. Each scenario has a bunch of little quests with storylines that have gameplay goals to reach in a certain time limit to complete and I thought each scenario was story-driven and ended at the end of the quests, so after I finished the quest where Nobunaga takes control of the Oda clan I spent 10 years doing nothing but domestic building until I started getting story events about the Mino and taking all of Owari and realizing "poo poo, I should have been DOING things all this time" but by then Shingen Takeda had already conquered most of eastern Japan, joined in that "triple alliance" with the Hojo and Ujiyasu, and he was steamrolling me by sheer numbers so even after I took all of Owari and Mino it was too late.

GANDHITRON posted:

Hey Policenaut, if it's not too much trouble, could you turn on archiving on your Twitch channel the next time you play?

For whatever reason, Twitch doesn't allow archiving PS4-based streams and that's the only way I can stream the game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

For whatever reason, Twitch doesn't allow archiving PS4-based streams and that's the only way I can stream the game.

I thought they fixed that a while ago. You may have to go to twitch on the computer to change it though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think there's some automated thing that affects some prerelease games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

mikeycp posted:

I thought they fixed that a while ago. You may have to go to twitch on the computer to change it though.

I went into my Twitch settings and there was an option to enable archiving so I enabled that and next time I stream I'll do that. I've just been replaying the first scenario (which as I understand is a PUK scenario, the game has DLC trophies which I assume to be the PUK stuff) because this game's surprisingly difficult on Normal.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The tutorial scenario? Or the first proper one?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

mikeycp posted:

The tutorial scenario? Or the first proper one?

The first proper one: Birth of Nobunaga.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh dear. I'm probably going to be completely terrible at the game if it ramps up that quickly.

Still pretty excited though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I enabled Twitch archives and streamed for about an hour for a few friends who wanted to see the game in action. I've got my headset on and it's mostly an hour of me trying to figure out how to break into Eastern Japan while juggling Kenshin, fighting Shingen, Hojo being assholes all the time, and the Imagawa being pricks hiding behind John "Hojo" Cena. Also I had no idea my headset picked up on the PS4's buttons that loudly.

http://www.twitch.tv/sapolicenaut/v/13701791

My biggest problem so far is simply managing all these officers, eventually you get 100+ and it becomes really tedious trying to get them all into place and I don't think you can transfer soldiers from one castle to another so that's another big issue I'm having. Sometimes I forget I get like a 94 Leader / 90 Valor soldier dude and leave him in the rear end end of nowhere.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Thanks, it looks pretty cool. I didn't realize it wasn't entirely turn-based like the RoTK games I played. Seems like it would control a bit better with a mouse and keyboard.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yep, it looks a lot like the previous games in the series, and the difficulty sounds about right too. They're not terribly forgiving, and you will get your rear end stomped into the mud by one of the major clans if you're not super careful.

Though if it's like Iron Triangle, you can always cheat and replace a clan with your own edit clan with all 90's officers.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've been playing Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! It's a pretty cool game. I've finished up through the end of Chapter 3 in Story mode, though I haven't done all the side missions yet. There are SO MANY characters in this game, omg. I've only played Dynasty Warriors 8 prior to this, so I'm only even familiar with like half of the characters tops. But now that I've unlocked Sophitia I just play as her with whatever partners all the time anyway.

I'm not familiar enough with history or most of these characters to really get all the details of this plot, but whatever, it's still fun killing 1000 dudes every ten minutes on my way to stop a giant hydra demon :black101:

Also, this game looks like it has a lot of content in it

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

HJE-Cobra posted:

Orochi 3 is probably the most content-rich game in the series (though Hyrule Warriors might be a contender). There's just so goddamn much to do.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Pirate Warriors 3: On PC, is anyone else having trouble mapping the buttons? It doesnt want to map keys to the d-pad or stick presses on my 360 controller.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Is there anywhere that has a good rundown of what content is in PW3 and also what the Story Pack DLC has? I know the arcs that are covered and the list of playable characters but there doesn't seem to be a list anywhere of what modes are in the game, how many maps, how many costumes there are etc. and as far as I can tell there's NO info on what the story pack is beyond the marketing blurb.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LanceKing2200 posted:

Is there anywhere that has a good rundown of what content is in PW3 and also what the Story Pack DLC has? I know the arcs that are covered and the list of playable characters but there doesn't seem to be a list anywhere of what modes are in the game, how many maps, how many costumes there are etc. and as far as I can tell there's NO info on what the story pack is beyond the marketing blurb.
37 playable characters + 27 support only characters, 22 Story missions (with online co-op), each with their own map, 80 partially randomized Dream log missions (with an unlockable harder version of Dream log) and the occasional random bounty mission for rare coins and ten DLC missions, eight of which are included with the season pass, along with 23 DLC costumes. The other two DLC missions and four more costumes came with the preorder and might get a normal release later.

It's slightly over twice the size of PW2, but with less grind so it shouldn't take much longer to Plat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HJE-Cobra posted:

I've been playing Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! It's a pretty cool game. I've finished up through the end of Chapter 3 in Story mode, though I haven't done all the side missions yet. There are SO MANY characters in this game, omg. I've only played Dynasty Warriors 8 prior to this, so I'm only even familiar with like half of the characters tops. But now that I've unlocked Sophitia I just play as her with whatever partners all the time anyway.

I'm not familiar enough with history or most of these characters to really get all the details of this plot, but whatever, it's still fun killing 1000 dudes every ten minutes on my way to stop a giant hydra demon :black101:

The story missions are just the tutorial. Once you have beaten them all on Chaos difficulty you will finally have powerful enough characters to play the real game, Gauntlet Mode. Level 100? Pfft my Lu Bu is nearing level 700 and still I get my rear end kicked if I'm not careful :getin:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

The story missions are just the tutorial. Once you have beaten them all on Chaos difficulty you will finally have powerful enough characters to play the real game, Gauntlet Mode. Level 100? Pfft my Lu Bu is nearing level 700 and still I get my rear end kicked if I'm not careful :getin:

Man I tried a couple of levels of Gauntlet Mode with some lv 30-40 characters and I found myself running away from enemies more often than I fought them, just desperately looking for the exit portal.

However, it was still super-useful to power level some characters by finding a portal that gives Exp Fever while enemies are still super-weak. It's easy to surround yourself with really weak enemies before activating the first few portals, in an effort to Exp Fever them all down. Then... a desperate hunt for an exit before every enemy can one-shot me!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HJE-Cobra posted:

Man I tried a couple of levels of Gauntlet Mode with some lv 30-40 characters and I found myself running away from enemies more often than I fought them, just desperately looking for the exit portal.

However, it was still super-useful to power level some characters by finding a portal that gives Exp Fever while enemies are still super-weak. It's easy to surround yourself with really weak enemies before activating the first few portals, in an effort to Exp Fever them all down. Then... a desperate hunt for an exit before every enemy can one-shot me!

If you really want to power level you will need to get the Gauntlet Mode DLC. One of the included levels gives you XP fever for the entire stage.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Rutibex posted:

If you really want to power level you will need to get the Gauntlet Mode DLC. One of the included levels gives you XP fever for the entire stage.

If you're talking about the one that came as a preorder bonus, that's not actually true. It does, however, have a ridiculous XP fever scroll drop rate. If you're not talking about the preorder bonus level, I think I need to know which one you meant so I can grab it, because :stare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maleketh posted:

If you're talking about the one that came as a preorder bonus, that's not actually true. It does, however, have a ridiculous XP fever scroll drop rate. If you're not talking about the preorder bonus level, I think I need to know which one you meant so I can grab it, because :stare:

Its from the DLC pack, I know what level you are thinking of and its not that one. It also includes character orbs in chests, which only drop characters you are missing, and the other levels have lots of rare troops that are hard to find otherwise. KOEI really knows how to sweeten up a DLC!

You need the bell item to collect them though, as the scrolls drop as normal items and don't fly to you like normal XP fever. Otherwise you spend half your time running around picking them up. On the upside portals can give you double XP fever, so you get twice as much :D

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 31, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Those exp farming levels are repackaged exp boosters.

I've never bought dlc for a musou game because the levels get pretty samey once you put enough time into them, I can't imagine the dlc stages are much more interesting.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

I've never bought dlc for a musou game because the levels get pretty samey once you put enough time into them, I can't imagine the dlc stages are much more interesting.

WO3 has some amazing DLC stages. Speed Is of the Essence and Keiji's Theme are both great. :allears: They were totally worth the money I spent on them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm finally at the end of the first scenario and now I can say I really wish there was some kind of drag and drop unit selection option to guide your armies around en masse. I discovered that the game becomes a lot easier once you start splitting your force into provinces (once large enough to support it because any income gained in that province is exclusively theirs to use) and I begun sweeping the map with a humongous multi-province force, but eventually I reached Shimazu on the southern island who apparently built all of his castles with high Popularity buildings so his soldiers refill at insane rates. So despite having 2.5 million men at my command, the A.I provinces were unable to make any headway onto the island because *TOOT TOOT* ENEMY IS MARCHING ON OUR CASTLE WITH A FORCE OF 11,000! *TOOT TOOT* ENEMY IS MARCHING and so on. So after a little trial and error, I went "gently caress it" and did a full blitzkrieg of every officer Nobunaga's influence can reach from Nagoya.

This must be at least over 200,000 soldiers on screen at once. And I have to manually direct every single one of the light blue ones in order to end this war, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) to order them as a group. I have to individually tap each one and choose an attack target. It's kind of maddening, because I could just end the game right now by enacting War Ban because I'm the Shogun but gently caress that Shimazu has long since passed the point where I was willing to grant him mercy. Before I took this screenshot, the only castle on this island I owned was that Takatoriyama.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot to mention that PW3 contains the soundtracks for both previous games on top of new music for a total of 65 tracks and you can flip between a character's alternate movesets by changing their costume.

Also, "Burgess is holding an impromptu battle royal." is a very good sentence, "DUMMY_ENG" not so much.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can't speak for the other games but my favorite levels in the first two Pirate Warriors were definitely the DLC because they were actually tricky to get through. "Final Mission" in PW2 was especially ridiculous. (you're supposed to play it with two players, but :zoro:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tecmo Koei has announced their Tokyo Game Show 2015 lineup.

Arslan: The Warriors of Legend, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and Samurai Warriors 4: Empires will all be present and playable for games on the Warriors side. Attack on Titan will have a trailer, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII will have a new trailer and be playable.