Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Bass Bottles posted:

Fun police on the patrol

Also, the new animation renaissance started with Adventure Time hth

I disagree, though Adventure Time was the first huge hit, I think that Chowder and Flapjack at the very least laid the groundwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

It's My Little Pony.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Girls girls you're both pretty

Gann Jerrod posted:

I disagree, though Adventure Time was the first huge hit, I think that Chowder and Flapjack at the very least laid the groundwork.

Flapjack is one of those shows I never appreciated until after it was cancelled. The art style had turned me off of it, but when I actually watched it it was so funny and weird I grew to love it and felt bad for not supporting it when it was actually on.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 30, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phineas and Ferb was also a good cartoon from those early days of the TV animation renaissance, even if it wasn't a Cartoon Network show. But yeah, Adventure Time and Regular Show (J.G. Quintel wrote for some episodes of Flapjack) really kicked it off.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There is no TV Animation Renaissance, seriously Cartoon Network never actually had a lull in the quality of its shows. Before AT/SU/Gravity Falls you had Flapjack and Chowder, before them you had Fosters and before that you had Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab and its generation, and before that you had stuff like the DCAU shows and Rockos Modern life and Animaniacs, plus Avatar in there somewhere

The only "renaissance" there's been is a renaissance of people jacking each other off about how Adventure Time is the deepest cartoon ever and writing 10 page editorials about it in the New Yorker. I do think the animated children's sitcom has basically been perfected with this latest batch of shows, but I don't think there's been any revolutionary jump in quality between the AT generation of shows and their predecessors

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 30, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

There is no TV Animation Renaissance, seriously Cartoon Network never actually had a lull in the quality of its shows. Before AT/SU/Gravity Falls you had Flapjack and Chowder, before them you had Fosters and before that you had Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab and its generation, and before that you had stuff like the DCAU shows and Rockos Modern life and Animaniacs, plus Avatar in there somewhere

The only "renaissance" there's been is a renaissance of people jacking each other off about how Adventure Time is the deepest cartoon ever and writing 10 page editorials about it in the New Yorker. I do think Cartoon Network has basically perfected the animated children's sitcom, but I don't think there's been any revolutionary jump in quality between the AT generation of shows and their predecessors

This is like saying that Disney never had a renaissance in the 90s because they still made Winnie the Pooh and The Fox and the Hound before that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

This is like saying that Disney never had a renaissance in the 90s because they still made Winnie the Pooh and The Fox and the Hound before that.

There are really only 3 shows over half a decade now since AT premiered in this so-called renaissance, and they're really not that much better than the ones that came before them. Disney went from producing literal garbage in the 70s and 80s to putting out stuff like Hunchback and Lion King every year for a full decade. Just by volume of output alone it's hilarious to compare the two, and then you have the much greater jump in quality with Disney

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 30, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mycot posted:

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

A little of column A, a little of column B, and then the rest of column A (A stands for Anime)

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I think what makes the cartoons that started around the turn of the decade stand out in comparison to the ones before is the increase in teen/young adult viewing. When cartoons were first made, they were considered an all ages entertainment. After WWII cartoons became strictly kids stuff, and now we're seeing it swing back the other way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think what makes the cartoons that started around the turn of the decade stand out in comparison to the ones before is the increase in teen/young adult viewing. When cartoons were first made, they were considered an all ages entertainment. After WWII cartoons became strictly kids stuff, and now we're seeing it swing back the other way.

There were bumps of this in the 60s and 80s too. Jay Ward and Hanna Barbera were made by the older generation and then the kids who watched that made the Simpsons and inspired all those 90s imitators. Then the kids who grew up with the Simpsons started Frederator.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I agree that there were always good shows, on the other hand this is a time that is, at least on CN, is better than average. It's not just that the shows they have are good, it's that they don't have that much that's really very bad. I mean, I would like to think even the biggest haters of TTG and Uncle Grandpa would take those in a heartbeat over the likes of Johnny Test, Annoying Orange, Mad and any of the live action shows CN had.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It still won't stop the last holdover of the CN Real Era, Total Drama who-the-gently caress-cares from coming back this September for another cheap as poo poo season from Canada. Legally regulated Canadian schlock is always the great equalizer for every generation.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 30, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Remember when CanCon used to mean stuff like Reboot and Beast Wars and not utter dreck like Jonny Test?

Those were nicer days :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Canada has free healthcare and nice people so it must produce horrible cartoons in order to offset that and make sure the world still has something to hate them for.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wish I found TTG funny.

Waffle waffle waffle. Waffle waffle waffle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

icantfindaname posted:

The only "renaissance" there's been is a renaissance of people jacking each other off about how Adventure Time is the deepest cartoon ever and writing 10 page editorials about it in the New Yorker. I do think the animated children's sitcom has basically been perfected with this latest batch of shows, but I don't think there's been any revolutionary jump in quality between the AT generation of shows and their predecessors

I see you've blocked the era of flash-animated cartoons and "CN Real" out of your memory, and I do not blame you for doing so.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ConanThe3rd posted:

Remember when CanCon used to mean stuff like Reboot and Beast Wars and not utter dreck like Jonny Test?

Those were nicer days :smith:

The worst part is that when Johnny Test premiered, it was one of the better non-anime cartoons on the WB since Spielberg stopped making stuff. Fuckin' educational TV law...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crabtree posted:

It still won't stop the last holdover of the CN Real Era, Total Drama who-the-gently caress-cares from coming back this September for another cheap as poo poo season from Canada. Legally regulated Canadian schlock is always the great equalizer for every generation.

I'll totally admit that franchise is a guilty pleasure of mine(and the first season is legitimately good in my opinion)

Rudoku posted:

The worst part is that when Johnny Test premiered, it was one of the better non-anime cartoons on the WB since Spielberg stopped making stuff. Fuckin' educational TV law...

Yeah it's kinda amazing how Season 1 of Johnny Test is actually pretty well animated and overall a pretty decent show(even if it was a blatant Dexter ripoff), then they switched to Flash in Season 2 and by the third season the writing also started falling apart till it became the abomination it's known as today(although I imagine it wouldn't be as hated if it hadn't been overly abused by CN's scheduling department)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there was definitely a general dip for Cartoon Network somewhere in between 2005 and 2008. There were all those mostly garbage live action shows (although I feel they were more ambitious than Nickelodeon's live action series for what it's worth), along with all these shows that either I didn't like or never really bothered watching, and all of the shows that were still continuing from earlier were really on their last legs, although a large part of that might've been because I was in High School and hated everything. That was just Cartoon Network though, Nickelodeon had Avatar around that time, even if they did screw it over with scheduling.

Wikipedia has a big ol' list of all of Cartoon Network's shows, and it definitely seems like there was an explosion of pilots in 2007, and after Chowder and Flapjack were weird hits, it definitely seems like the networks were more open to weird things, which led to the current crazy shows which would be unthinkable back in 2006.

Of course, the key problem with trying to pin down a period when the shows were bad is that all the new material had to coexist directly along with the older material, and the better the shows that came before were, the more competition the new, untried shows have.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
There was a change in tone that I think started with Flapjack where shows felt more creator-driven. Hiring indie comic artists to be both storyboard artists and writers definitely helped, too.

I guess you don't have to call it a renaissance but Flapjack and Adventure Time were obviously influential and launched a bunch of careers. There's gotta be a word for that.

In my opinion, the has been a huge jump in Quality. The only older-show that can compare to the modern ones is Avatar.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bass Bottles posted:

There was a change in tone that I think started with Flapjack where shows felt more creator-driven. Hiring indie comic artists to be both storyboard artists and writers definitely helped, too.

I guess you don't have to call it a renaissance but Flapjack and Adventure Time were obviously influential and launched a bunch of careers. There's gotta be a word for that.

In my opinion, the has been a huge jump in Quality. The only older-show that can compare to the modern ones is Avatar.

Hey Samurai Jack is amazing and I won't budge on that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think any of the other shows mentioned here have even tried to be as ambitious as Steven Universe. Some of them were as good at certain things, but I can't think of any other show that was as good across-the-board, or tried to do as many things at once.

I'd also agree that the quality of shows in general has definitely increased in recent years, although I couldn't say exactly why. Is it because it's cheaper and easier now to make good animation without needing to own a sweatshop?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd also agree that the quality of shows in general has definitely increased in recent years, although I couldn't say exactly why. Is it because it's cheaper and easier now to make good animation without needing to own a sweatshop?

I'd say that it's because there's been more of a shift back towards storyboard-driven shows created by indie artists. Chowder and Flapjack sort of started that trend, but virtually the entire landscape right now was shaped by Adventure Time and the crew that worked on it.

Also, I'd say that there was absolutely a dip in quality around the mid-2000s, where CN just kept pumping out bland forgettable trash. Remember Camp Lazlo? Squirrel Boy? Class of 3000? My Gym Partner's a Monkey? That show about Puffy?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Camp Lazlo gave me flashbacks to my time in the scouts and I can't begrudge how well they pinned down that feeling of traveling back in time whenever you went to the big summer camp.

Shoot, I remember checking out a camp's cabin back in the early '00s and finding a working 8-track player, complete with shelves of still-playable tapes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

the point you are mistaking, probably intentionally, is that goons sure do love to bring up and talk about lesbian characters esp in fiction under the auspices of "progressiveness" when really what they're doing is 1) fueling a fetish that 2) gives them the moral high ground to make posts about how it's all about the grander representation in media when they couldn't really give less of a poo poo because boy do they love posting about lesbians!!! again, adventure time

reducing a character to their token sexuality is 1) creepy 2) completely missing the overall aims of representation of different sexualities in media and fetishizing only one aspect of a character 3) probably indicative that the character themselves is nothing to write home about outside of some gimmick like their sexuality being not heteronormative

if you were to take the posts in AT or the SU threads and replace the word "lesbian" with the word "black" it'd put a finer point on how the "progressive" tack is really just a way for goons to cloak their obsession with lesbians

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
why is this being brought back up

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well it is true.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

There is no TV Animation Renaissance

Except there kind of is?

You can sneer at AT all you want but it really was kind of revolutionary in a lot of ways. It didn't invent the type of show it was (as others have said Flapjack and other shows laid the groundwork) but it did show executives that a less cynical and more artistic approach to cartoons can be profitable.

The first few seasons were also really, really funny.

Also, lol if you think your average show from the 80's or 90's comes even close to your average show today. There were some gems but on the whole the general attitude towards cartoons at the time was very... corporate.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

why is this being brought back up

some people can't stand when a thread is actually good and so we have to have a good old fashioned slapfight about whose tastes are better every now and then, otherwise how will we know we are true goons.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TwoPair posted:

some people can't stand when a thread is actually good and so we have to have a good old fashioned slapfight about whose tastes are better every now and then, otherwise how will we know we are true goons.

tell me more about lesbians. are there any in stephen unvierse, im confused

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah there are, it's really shocking.
No gay males tho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acne Rain posted:

yeah there are, it's really shocking.

:holymoley:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is when Toxxupation actually posted that post, he ceded that maybe there were some sane points of view in regards to that he just doesn't see as often.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i mean the point was i copy-pasted that post in a totally unrelated thread because it was literally the ur-example of some random dude barging into a completely unrelated thread and tumblrposting about how steven universe is amazing and icnredible and ~SO PROGRESSIVE~ because it has gay characters in it

it was quite possibly the perfect example of my point that i was making

dunno why it got reposted here but, i don't determine who empty quotes my posts, so

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tumblrites like Steven Universe because it's socially progressive. Goons like it because it's anime as gently caress without actually being anime. I know there are people who like it because they just like the show, but they're drowned out by the aforementioned very loud people.

HorseRenoir posted:

I'd say that it's because there's been more of a shift back towards storyboard-driven shows created by indie artists. Chowder and Flapjack sort of started that trend, but virtually the entire landscape right now was shaped by Adventure Time and the crew that worked on it.

Also, I'd say that there was absolutely a dip in quality around the mid-2000s, where CN just kept pumping out bland forgettable trash. Remember Camp Lazlo? Squirrel Boy? Class of 3000? My Gym Partner's a Monkey? That show about Puffy?
Camp Lazlo was pretty good. It was made by Joe Murray of Rocko's Modern Life fame- there was even a cameo in the final episode by a character that, for legal reasons, totally wasn't Heffer. Everything else wasn't good or was crap imported from Canada.

And I agree that storyboard-driven shows were the reason Cartoon Network got on top. Disney Channel and Disney XD's best cartoons have that same setup. Meanwhile, Nickelodeon is just walking into walls without realizing there's a blindfold over them.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Camp Lazlo was such a bland vanilla-paste nothing of a show. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was being a huge Rocko fan and desperately trying convince myself that it was funny.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

HorseRenoir posted:

Camp Lazlo was such a bland vanilla-paste nothing of a show. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was being a huge Rocko fan and desperately trying convince myself that it was funny.

Yes--and then, being upset and confused that it WASN'T as funny as Rocko's Modern Life, even in spite of having some potentially-funny characters and sometimes having some solid jokes.

My Gym Partner Is a Monkey actually managed to be occasionally funny in spots, but they tended to repeat the same tired (and often rear end-oriented) monkey jokes, and that got very old, very fast.

Mainly, I thought the monkey was actually too selfish and too stupid to be a genuinely likable character, so I found myself getting frustrated with the kid for tolerating his bullshit. Given a lot of great shows have "straight man" characters with rear end in a top hat idiot friends, I don't know what it was about this show that made me not buy into the formula.

Andre 3000 had some neat little music videos as I recall, but that's all I remember.

I just remember Puffy Ami Yumi being zany-wacky in a way that eventually felt hollow and repetitive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There was a stretch where every cartoon was populated by rank shitheads and it got a little tiresome to put up with. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was the worst I can remember because the pilot was pretty light-hearted and then suddenly it turned into a PG-rated South Park.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oxxidation posted:

There was a stretch where every cartoon was populated by rank shitheads and it got a little tiresome to put up with. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was the worst I can remember because the pilot was pretty light-hearted and then suddenly it turned into a PG-rated South Park.

Yes, thank you. One of the reasons I kept watching Steven Universe was it kept being positive and characters in the show were actually nice and supportive to each other. I had gotten exhausted of cartoons for a while around the mid 2000s because everything was a constant barrage of assholes and cynicism. To some degree it started in the Cartoon Cartoon era; Dexter and Ed Edd n Eddy were definitely like this, but for a while it felt like every show had to be about bad things happening to assholes and I got tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

HorseRenoir posted:

It got watchable when they knew the show was getting cancelled. It finally had jokes and I liked the final episode.

Puffy AmiYumi was only good for the live action scenes where the poor girls had to speak English.