Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
One of the loading screen tips says soldiers can perform above their ratings if staff morale is high. How that works specifically I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Morale is apparently affected by how much you visit MB and resolve events.

Quiet apparently causes a LOT of negative events when she's left on base since the DDs in general do not like her.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

One of the loading screen tips says soldiers can perform above their ratings if staff morale is high. How that works specifically I don't know.

Soldiers can get infected by the parasite, which lowers morale. When that happens, you need to put soldiers who are infected and speak the same languages in quarantine.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Fonz
Oct 18, 2006
moron alert

welp. :yaycloud:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The guy on the left is the pilot I guess?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want BB to rest his arm on my shoulder and give the thumbs up.
I could die happy then, even if I got in a crash and had my arm cut off.

That's a sweet Kevin Nash avatar too.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

So it was Big Boss's naked rear end after all!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That stream also confirmed something about postgame

When Quiet leaves during the story, she seems to be gone for good. You get one more mission with her but never can use her as a buddy again. People are hoping there's a Day 1 patch that at least lets you use her for replays and side ops even if it doesn't fit storywise.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Been posted on some sites but the stream got to the end and the tape from the trailer which had "the man who sold the world" on it? on the back it says operation intrude n313. And he plays the tape through a loving msx.

Funnily enough in ground zeroes there is a msx tape you can pick up, nothing but msx data on it. Could this be the big transfer thing? Obvious hype levels are making me think a side op mission remake of mg1, others think it will unlock this elusive 3rd ending but no one will know until the transfer servers are online they claim.

But doesnt the console versions just read the save file i heard? Confused on this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vikar Jerome posted:

Funnily enough in ground zeroes there is a msx tape you can pick up, nothing but msx data on it.

Woah woah hold up where's that? I've never seen or heard of it :stare:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Danaru posted:

Its in a side op. You get the message that it cant play in music players and when you play it its just good old fashion game tape loading noises from the msx and spectrum days. It was confirmed to sound exactly like an msx tape.

I'd post links and more info on which mission but im at work on my phone... i know the full tape is on youtube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

It's the tape from the bald marine in the tape recovery mission, IIRC.

Vikar, transfer on the consoles still seems server dependant and is currently unavailable. I guess they did it that way for people moving up a generation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh drat I was wondering about that, I remember it being mentioned that it was a spectrograph of a cage, but I can't for the life of me find a source on that anymore.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Been posted on some sites but the stream got to the end and the tape from the trailer which had "the man who sold the world" on it? on the back it says operation intrude n313. And he plays the tape through a loving msx.

Funnily enough in ground zeroes there is a msx tape you can pick up, nothing but msx data on it. Could this be the big transfer thing? Obvious hype levels are making me think a side op mission remake of mg1, others think it will unlock this elusive 3rd ending but no one will know until the transfer servers are online they claim.

But doesnt the console versions just read the save file i heard? Confused on this.

Yeah, I saw that. The context does make the true ending a bit better I guess, but I still wouldn't say it's good exactly. I wonder if the MSX tape you transfer over unlocks an extra mission, mission 51 called Operation Intrude N313 and it's a remake of Metal Gear 1, using the altered geography of Camp Omega as Outer Heaven.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mokinokaro posted:

That stream also confirmed something about postgame

When Quiet leaves during the story, she seems to be gone for good. You get one more mission with her but never can use her as a buddy again. People are hoping there's a Day 1 patch that at least lets you use her for replays and side ops even if it doesn't fit storywise.
What the hell's the point then? Might as well just kill her when you have the chance.

Though I bet PC hackers will figure out a patch to flag it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, I saw that. The context does make the true ending a bit better I guess, but I still wouldn't say it's good exactly. I wonder if the MSX tape you transfer over unlocks an extra mission, mission 51 called Operation Intrude N313 and it's a remake of Metal Gear 1, using the altered geography of Camp Omega as Outer Heaven.

doesn't even need to be camp omega. i dont know the super details of what happens to motherbase at the the end but they could just substitute what you've built as outer heaven, mg1 did start by coming out of the water and could add that extra bit of sons of liberty style poetry.

i looked into the tape more at work and it turns out some dudes at reddit tried loading it into a msx emulator, doesn't work, it is a save state of some kind and all they could pull from it was "vol 2" :tinfoil: i wonder how missable that tape is? i know there is 2 tapes on that mission and you can miss one of them but i'm not sure if its the data tape or the other one.

watch it be nothing or some pooyan type poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vikar Jerome posted:

i looked into the tape more at work and it turns out some dudes at reddit tried loading it into a msx emulator, doesn't work, it is a save state of some kind and all they could pull from it was "vol 2" :tinfoil: i wonder how missable that tape is? i know there is 2 tapes on that mission and you can miss one of them but i'm not sure if its the data tape or the other one.

watch it be nothing or some pooyan type poo poo.

The MSX tape is the one the bald soldier carries. The tape in the command center that the agent leads you to is a recording of an interrogation I think.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Soooo... apparently there's rumour going round of a 16gb patch on day 1?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bah gawd it's Kevin Nash!

Oberleutnant posted:

From where?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Bah gawd it's Kevin Nash!

From where?

Some streamer called YongYea who was doing an interview with the community manager (Robert Peeler) and had has since pulled the content or had it pulled. I didn't see it myself, just saw people gossiping about it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

That just seems like something people who hate the ending wish to believe. I've no doubt there will be a day one patch, but I doubt it's that.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Any word yet on how much work Kiefer Sutherland put into this? I was listening to the Giant Bomb podcast and it sounded worrying how little Big Boss talked. Almost awkward in his silence. I haven't watched any streams.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Tapes are 90% Kaz and Ocelot. RAD and Baker put in the overwhelming share of the game's voicework. Code Talker is also fairly prominent later, and Huey and Skull Face also talk a decent bit on them. For the most part when Big Boss talks it's short sentences or questions, and then Kaz/Ocelot do all the elaborating.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's kinda sad, in a way. No real chance of talking about Santa, or the comfort of being inside the box, or movie trivia. For all the faults Hayter might have had, he at least always talked a lot. I wonder if the lack of Big Boss dialog is due to Kiefer being too expensive/unwilling to do a lot, or if it was always planned for him to say little in Phantom Pain?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The game's style doesn't really leave room for long chats for Boss.

I think the idea was to project the player onto the character more for story reasons.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

The game's style doesn't really leave room for long chats for Boss.

I think the idea was to project the player onto the character more for story reasons.

It would if it had codecs. Doesn't have anything to do with style imo, just a conscious decision to reduce the amount of voice work required.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the plot twist sounds cool

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

a cop posted:

It would if it had codecs. Doesn't have anything to do with style imo, just a conscious decision to reduce the amount of voice work required.

Peace Walker managed the funny conversations without a codec.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
quote="a cop" post="449614475"]
[/quote

This is good. Isn't it?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

if you're in here then you've read leaks and so that lets me tell you about hilarious sounding metal gear convos in tapes which include a dude making GBS threads for 20 minutes nothing else and kaz trying to make the perfect burger but getting shot down by other characters. we dont need codecs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

if you're in here then you've read leaks and so that lets me tell you about hilarious sounding metal gear convos in tapes which include a dude making GBS threads for 20 minutes nothing else and kaz trying to make the perfect burger but getting shot down by other characters. we dont need codecs.

Can you paste in KazBurger text?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The tapes seem to imply that Code Talker got the parasites from The End's remains.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Spermando posted:

The tapes seem to imply that Code Talker got the parasites from The End's remains.
It seems like that would be difficult since The End kinda exploded.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nakar posted:

That just means it takes longer to gather the samples.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Okay so an hour before it unlocks there's really only one spoiler I care about:

How long does it take to get a revolver and can you spin it?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Nobody else can start playing until I get back from work in 11 hours or it isn't fair. :colbert:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nakar posted:

He does say that the body was in pieces.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got my guide in.

Quiet does leave forever even after the story.

You can stop it by getting the Butterfly rank (have Quiet deal with most people for you) and then equipping that emblem unlock on your personal emblem. This locks her story progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can also ignore Side Op 150 as that's the one that triggers her final mission (which you are forced into after the op)

• Locked thread