Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I don't get a lot of time to play anymore but I've been watching this guys youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVhrFoOA1w a whole lot. His videos are super chill and he creates some awesome looking stuff, so its good to unwind and watch someone make a nice looking city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Zip! posted:

I don't get a lot of time to play anymore but I've been watching this guys youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVhrFoOA1w a whole lot. His videos are super chill and he creates some awesome looking stuff, so its good to unwind and watch someone make a nice looking city.

Before clicking the link I somehow knew it would be this guy. I've seen a couple of his videos and they are very good.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Once you build a dam, waterflow downstream always gets erratic and sometimes bad things happen. It's annoying.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Once you build a dam, waterflow downstream always gets erratic and sometimes bad things happen. It's annoying.
I see potentials for Gondola DLC.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUzFUfPkYxU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Still blows my mind they aren't doing anything about that hideous cubemap they use for reflective surfaces on buildings.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod that makes making pretty farmland easy (yellowish grass)? So far I've found "parks" in various sizes that you had to align alongside roads and one that placed waterpipe objects on the ground in the form of farmland that you had to painstakingly fill in with 1x1 tiles to make it looks good in the end. All that was infuriating to the point where i quit the game, i just want to make pretty farmland :negative:
Something that just loving fills in areas or let's me paint the terrain.

edit: nevermind, i uninstalled cause the road ui in this game still makes me want to kill myself

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 28, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mmmm, look at those buildings shimmer due to a lack of decent antialiasing

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MikeJF posted:

Mmmm, look at those buildings shimmer due to a lack of decent antialiasing

That's because they were trying to get it to run on someone's Hotwheels Emachine right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm just thinking of all the modders who have been making GBS threads themselves about creating night lighting for their buildings since this update was announced.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

That's because they were trying to get it to run on someone's Hotwheels Emachine right?

Nah, with stuff like that you can just turn it down, unlike the simulation stuff, so it's not bound by their low requirements. It's because the deferred rendering pipeline in Unity is all hosed up. Still, you'd think they'd have figured out a solution by now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Nah, with stuff like that you can just turn it down, unlike the simulation stuff, so it's not bound by their low requirements. It's because the deferred rendering pipeline in Unity is all hosed up. Still, you'd think they'd have figured out a solution by now.

I could have sworn there was a mod that allowed for it, but I might have been day dreaming it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I could have sworn there was a mod that allowed for it, but I might have been day dreaming it.

There's a mod that gives good-looking antialiasing, but it does so at a huge performance cost, basically by rendering an image twice as large as your screen every frame then scaling it down to blur out the jaggies.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can anyone suggest some mods that improve basic usability, aesthetics, and maybe make the game easier or more approachable or offers an advisor on what your city needs? Mostly I just want to make a good looking town and I'm having a lot of trouble running things smoothly.

That foliage paintbrush thing is great. More like that.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Can anyone suggest some mods that improve basic usability, aesthetics, and maybe make the game easier or more approachable or offers an advisor on what your city needs? Mostly I just want to make a good looking town and I'm having a lot of trouble running things smoothly.

That foliage paintbrush thing is great. More like that.

Here are some that I would recommend.

NoPillars
Lets you toggle pillars off to help you build those fancy bridges without getting that pesky space occupied error caused when the game is trying to place a pillar in the middle of the road/rail below.

Precision Engineering
Simply the best mod when it comes to laying out your road networks.

Unlimited Trees
While not truly unlimited it does bump up the number of trees allowed on the map from the default 250k to something over a million instead.

Info View Button Enabler
Enables all info views from the start instead of unlocking them as you reach the appropriate milestones.

Persistent Resource View
Makes the resource info view persistent so you can turn it on to see where they are while you lay out your roads.

Infinite Oil and Ore
No more oil and ore deposits that are depleted in 15 minutes.

Automatic Bulldoze
Automatically bulldozes abandoned and burned down buildings. Can be toggled off if you are going for one of the building unlocks that requires a bunch of abandoned buildings.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the parks and finding some good 1x1 parks to use as fillers in those awkward spots where your building options are limited.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Any downside to unlimited trees?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"After Dark" huh? It better replace the airplanes for flying toasters.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

The devs set the default asset limits in order to meet the minimum specs they wanted. Going past that limit just means you'll need a more powerful machine to still keep things running smoothly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzenx posted:

The devs set the default asset limits in order to meet the minimum specs they wanted. Going past that limit just means you'll need a more powerful machine to still keep things running smoothly.

Isn't that what slider options are for? :negative:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Build everything by hand, gently caress brushes.

e: VVV thanks!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Koesj posted:

Build everything by hand, gently caress brushes.

:stare: This is impressively pretty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't that what slider options are for? :negative:

Nope. Modern devs realized buyers get pissed off if they can't run games at maximum settings, it makes them feel bad and that they didn't get all the game they paid for. They'd also go way past their computer's recommended settings then bitch and moan and submit tech support tickets for their game crashing or running bad because they set everything to maximum on their e-machine. People also demand refunds for buying a game their computer can't handle, or purposefully changing a game's settings so that their computer can't handle it.

You'd think we could just have a warning that the bigger your city gets the more power you'll need, or a user configurable max-objects setting, but people are both too stupid and too willing to throw a tantrum.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

One thing I liked about GTA V PC is that it had that memory meter on the video settings page that filled up as you messed with the video options (based on your system spec).

But yeah, people have definitely been doing the "game runs like poo poo on my PC, I am running on (max resolution for time period) with everything on high, I just don't understand it!) for as long as I have been reading people cry about game performance on the internet (circa Voodoo 2 or 3 cards).
So I guess I understand, but it is still really lovely since plenty of other games manage to have graphics options without being sued or refunded into oblivion. But I suppose CO is a tiny company, comparatively, and maybe had a bad experience with the Cities in Motion games? Did those games have these features?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

The community sharing is a factor here too. Your system might be able to handle a map with 3 million trees on it, but if you put it up on the steam workshop, sooner or later somebody is going to have their 6 year old laptop choke to death/burst into flames trying to load it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobo on Fire posted:

The community sharing is a factor here too. Your system might be able to handle a map with 3 million trees on it, but if you put it up on the steam workshop, sooner or later somebody is going to have their 6 year old laptop choke to death/burst into flames trying to load it.

I figured a tree slider would remove or add trees depending on your settings. So if you set it low, then it would not render as many as a PC set to high.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Probably a newbie question since I just started this game last week.

Any idea why my cemetery isn't emptying?

No hearses running, room in other cemeteries and tons of crematorium capacity. I'd like to get it out of there. It was the first cemetery I built in the city when it was a little village.

Still working on my very first original city in the vanilla game. It's sort of fun figuring out how to cure traffic woes on the fly. No mods or cheats or anything. I'd appreciate any ideas :shobon:

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I figured a tree slider would remove or add trees depending on your settings. So if you set it low, then it would not render as many as a PC set to high.

If trees in this game were handled the same way as say, grass in Skyrim, a slider would work. Certain zones have certain types of trees, at a certain density.

The problem is, in this game trees are all handled as single, individual objects. A paint tool might have been used to place them, but at the end of the day every map file has a few hundred thousand entries of "pine tree at coordinate XXYY, bush at coordinate YYZZ," etc... no different than a building or a segment of road. A certain map will always have the same type of tree, at the same spot, end of story. The hard cap exists as much to keep the number of objects on the map manageable as it does for rendering.

slidebite posted:

Probably a newbie question since I just started this game last week.

Any idea why my cemetery isn't emptying?

Since you admit to being a newbie: Did you click the button to empty it? There are mods that make it an automatic process, but by default you have to tell it to do so.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

There is a hard coded object limit in the game for some reason. So the more trees you have the less anything else you can have.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

slidebite posted:

Still working on my very first original city in the vanilla game. It's sort of fun figuring out how to cure traffic woes on the fly. No mods or cheats or anything. I'd appreciate any ideas :shobon:

I've found that most mods aimed at changing traffic don't really improve traffic that much — they just make you micro-manage more and makes it more cumbersome to build. My main tip is simply this: don't just think that you can fix everything by building larger roads. Proper separation into distinct areas and good planning of intersections will help a whole lot more — make sure only traffic that truly needs to go through an intersection does so, and that key areas aren't just used as thoroughfares for traffic going somewhere else.

Also, don't forget that the combination of roads you get when you unlock freeways goes beyond, well, just freeways. That tier unlocks the highly crucial 1-lane and 3-lane roads, which even though they're not the kind you can connect buildings to, are often crucial in building intersections, roundabouts, and other high-throughput constructions that exist outside of proper freeways.

While you can use mods to alter how traffic lights are placed and how traffic flows through multi-lane intersections, it is often better to use road types that don't create those lights to begin with. For instance, the one-way 6-lane road is utterly useless for building roundabouts, even though at first sight it may seem like a good choice for tying two 2×3-lane roads together.

Also, this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hobo on Fire posted:

Since you admit to being a newbie: Did you click the button to empty it? There are mods that make it an automatic process, but by default you have to tell it to do so.

Yes. "Emptying" momentarily shows up in place of "Full" every few seconds but it's only for a microsecond. It's almost like when I accidentally made the road dead-end next to a dump before and the trucks couldn't get out.

Yeah, I glossed over that but haven't studied it. Thanks for the reminder. Any other good how-tos for road construction?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

slidebite posted:

Yes. "Emptying" momentarily shows up in place of "Full" every few seconds but it's only for a microsecond. It's almost like when I accidentally made the road dead-end next to a dump before and the trucks couldn't get out.

It could just be that the AI has gone a bit… off… and thinks that this is the case somehow: that there is way either in or out, so there's no way for it to route the hearses to an alternate dumping ground delivery spot.

Try removing the road and replacing it with a new one, making sure that it's most definitely two-way in the process. At the same time, you can also try to make the road connect to somewhere else, in case there's some accidental blockage into the same general area that is screwing up the pathfinding.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

After scouring the workshop for harbor-pieces and giving up because there's just too many decorations without icons, I'm really missing zones for stuff like that. Harbors, farmland, even graveyards would both look better and feel more realistic if we could zone them. Hopefully the coastline will look a little bit better with After Dark, but it seems like commercial might be the only thing that's improved.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Negrostrike posted:

"After Dark" huh? It better replace the airplanes for flying toasters.

:golfclap:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

After scouring the workshop for harbor-pieces and giving up because there's just too many decorations without icons, I'm really missing zones for stuff like that. Harbors, farmland, even graveyards would both look better and feel more realistic if we could zone them. Hopefully the coastline will look a little bit better with After Dark, but it seems like commercial might be the only thing that's improved.

Agreed. The workshop isn't really a substitute for this kind of thing, especially since a lot of the buildings are either ugly or have absurd poly counts. Zoning is the simplest solution.

Although... farmland is zoned, out of what you said. It's just kinda dumb that all industries have the same road distances as anything else instead of say double.

I see also that they haven't fixed the bug with out of region trains clogging up your outside connection lines and the only "solution" repeated ad nauseum by some snarky apogist is to keep your rail networks separated with ugly pairs of transfer stations.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 30, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tippis posted:

It could just be that the AI has gone a bit… off… and thinks that this is the case somehow: that there is way either in or out, so there's no way for it to route the hearses to an alternate dumping ground delivery spot.

Try removing the road and replacing it with a new one, making sure that it's most definitely two-way in the process. At the same time, you can also try to make the road connect to somewhere else, in case there's some accidental blockage into the same general area that is screwing up the pathfinding.

So I deleted and put the road back, same thing. I deleted all the building around it and re-laid all the roads nearby, same thing too. It's sort of near a cliffside to I'm limited with what I can do on the water side but it was accepting corpses no problem before it was full. I have no idea what is wrong.

e: Here is a top-down view

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2015

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

So I deleted and put the road back, same thing. I deleted all the building around it and re-laid all the roads nearby, same thing too. It's sort of near a cliffside to I'm limited with what I can do on the water side but it was accepting corpses no problem before it was full. I have no idea what is wrong.

Do you have another cemetery with spare space for bodies or a crematorium somewhere? Sounds like it doesn't have anywhere to empty to.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

One thing I liked about GTA V PC is that it had that memory meter on the video settings page that filled up as you messed with the video options (based on your system spec).

In terms of graphics settings it's sad that GTAV, a port from consoles, has the best interface/menu I've ever seen. The memory meter was super helpful.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

slidebite posted:

Just to test it out, try placing a road that goes nowhere, with just the graveyard and a crematorium connected to it. See if you can empty the graveyard straight into the furnace.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I re-jigged the roads and everything and it didn't make a difference.

Coincidentally, I was building a residential area nearby and noticed some people getting sick, so I built a clinic. After a few minutes my eye caught a hearse leaving the boneyard, so now its emptying. Not sure if it was related or not :shrug: but either way it is emptying now.

In other news, unlocked nuke plants! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

eXXon posted:

Although... farmland is zoned, out of what you said. It's just kinda dumb that all industries have the same road distances as anything else instead of say double.

Yeah, that was poorly phrased. Better zones, is what I want. Huge fields and whatnot.