Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a recommendation for a set of bluetooth headphones? This is the closest thing I was able to find that look like what I'd be looking for: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCSIN4W

I have these after they were mentioned in the thread a few pages back and they're really good. Lots of bass though, which is not to everyone's taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Here's a (possibly) odd question.

Are there any recommendations for some headphones for a small child? Needs to be run off a 3.5mm jack on a tablet so no crazy power requirements, and preferably something supa-aural to keep noise escape down. We're taking our 2 year old on holiday next month and we're gonna load up a tablet with some of her favourite shows to keep her entertained on the plane. I'm sure the rest of the passengers (and me) will appreciate NOT being able to hear Bing the Bunny or Dinosaur train for several hours.

GF is concerned about "delicate ears" because she's young, so I figured I would ask the question. Any thoughts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AirRaid posted:

Here's a (possibly) odd question.

Are there any recommendations for some headphones for a small child? Needs to be run off a 3.5mm jack on a tablet so no crazy power requirements, and preferably something supa-aural to keep noise escape down. We're taking our 2 year old on holiday next month and we're gonna load up a tablet with some of her favourite shows to keep her entertained on the plane. I'm sure the rest of the passengers (and me) will appreciate NOT being able to hear Bing the Bunny or Dinosaur train for several hours.

GF is concerned about "delicate ears" because she's young, so I figured I would ask the question. Any thoughts?

I would do a set of the cheaper in-ear headphones and just set the volume limiter on the iPad or whatever. That way they can crank the volume to whatever they want and it'll still be okay, and they won't have to worry about not being able to hear from the plane noise.

If you really want to set it right, wear the headphones and listen to whatever they'll listen to while you sit in front of your dryer to simulate plane background noise.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
In ear phones would probably be way too big for her tiny ears.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, personally I wouldn't encourage any kid to go sticking things in their ears. I was about to post the same suggestion about volume-limiting in the OS on the tablet though. iStuff has that, so hopefully what you're using has something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My niece has these and she takes them everywhere, but she is 7 not 2.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The sound out of my new E10K is smoooooooooth, like butter. Next update is definitely going to be more headphones. Then a Schiit M+M stack or the O2/ODAC.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I would do a set of the cheaper in-ear headphones and just set the volume limiter on the iPad or whatever. That way they can crank the volume to whatever they want and it'll still be okay, and they won't have to worry about not being able to hear from the plane noise.

If you really want to set it right, wear the headphones and listen to whatever they'll listen to while you sit in front of your dryer to simulate plane background noise.

I'm sure literally anything will work. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-222KD-Childrens-Headphones-Black/dp/B00172T3Q2/

If she was like 7, then etymotic etykids are the go-to.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Miniature review:

JDS Labs's The Element is pretty good overall for the price I paid (~$300 shipped). From the A/B comparison between this and my 2x gain Beta22 (Icon HDP preamp, 3.3x gain on preamp out), The Element's bass sounds loose and boomy and the trebles seem "digital", almost like it's clipping, with my LCD-3s if that makes sense at all. Maybe it's a faulty unit? Bad to compare a Beta22 to this amp? I just don't know! Even the Nuforce Icon HDP's main amp sounded better...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Question - I just bought Bluetooth headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/WAAV-Headphones-Cancelling-Microphone-Sweatproof/dp/B00ZQQKZVM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It came with a bag of IEM silicone caps...and these weird loop things that sit back a bit that have the outline of a combination lock.

This is going to sound stupid, but what are they for? They're too small to loop around my outer ear and don't sit on my inner ear at all. I honestly have no clue what the hell they're for.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CobiWann posted:

Question - I just bought Bluetooth headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/WAAV-Headphones-Cancelling-Microphone-Sweatproof/dp/B00ZQQKZVM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It came with a bag of IEM silicone caps...and these weird loop things that sit back a bit that have the outline of a combination lock.

This is going to sound stupid, but what are they for? They're too small to loop around my outer ear and don't sit on my inner ear at all. I honestly have no clue what the hell they're for.

They're meant to sit in the concha of your ear (the little "bowl" in the middle of your earlobe) and stabilize the headphones. If you have really large concha like I do they may not work at all for you.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I just picked up a pair of AKG Audio K702 Headphones for use at home, they sound great and are very comfortable, however I can't help but notice that they just don't go as loud as my old pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

Is this because these are open and the ATH-M50 is closed? The Amp/DAC guide in the OP states that if volume is my only issue I should pick up a cheap amp like the FiiO E5, is this accurate? Where can I find this? Amazon doesn't seem to have it in stock.

edit: I am now seeing that Amazon has the FiiO E6 in stock, which just looks like a newer version.

Fano fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 23, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Fano posted:

I just picked up a pair of AKG Audio K702 Headphones for use at home, they sound great and are very comfortable, however I can't help but notice that they just don't go as loud as my old pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

Is this because these are open and the ATH-M50 is closed? The Amp/DAC guide in the OP states that if volume is my only issue I should pick up a cheap amp like the FiiO E5, is this accurate? Where can I find this? Amazon doesn't seem to have it in stock.

edit: I am now seeing that Amazon has the FiiO E6 in stock, which just looks like a newer version.

They have nearly twice the impedance of the ATH-M50s. 62ohms vs 38ohms. That little E6 should work, I remember I had one of those in my laptop bag for the ATH-M50s and they would get painfully loud. Partly also because of distortion but y'know. If those don't pump the volume enough, http://schiit.com/products/magni-2 definitely will.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fano posted:

What source are you using for listening?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Would a cheap DT770 250 ohm be a decent upgrade from my old ATH-M50 cans?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Odette posted:

Would a cheap DT770 250 ohm be a decent upgrade from my old ATH-M50 cans?
If you can drive it.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

grack posted:

What source are you using for listening?

Sorry, I should have mentioned, these are going straight into my PC.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

They have nearly twice the impedance of the ATH-M50s. 62ohms vs 38ohms. That little E6 should work, I remember I had one of those in my laptop bag for the ATH-M50s and they would get painfully loud. Partly also because of distortion but y'know. If those don't pump the volume enough, http://schiit.com/products/magni-2 definitely will.
So I'm new to all this, the schiit seems great, but how does it hook up to my PC? Do I also need to buy RCA cables that output to the 3.5mm jack (like this)?

Fano fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 24, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fano posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned, these are going straight into my PC.

So I'm new to all this, the schiit seems great, but how does it hook up to my PC? Do I also need to buy RCA cables that output to the 3.5mm jack (like this)?

You'd need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the Magni. The Fiio E6 would also work fine for you but you'd have to recharge it periodically as it uses a rechargeable lithium battery instead of a wall tap for power. The Magni is a good amp, though.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

grack posted:

You'd need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the Magni. The Fiio E6 would also work fine for you but you'd have to recharge it periodically as it uses a rechargeable lithium battery instead of a wall tap for power. The Magni is a good amp, though.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, I will probably go with the Magni.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
I've been using Shure SRH840s for the last 2 or 3 years, I've owned two pairs and the headband has broken on both. The first pair broke from a less than 3 foot drop onto carpet but I was able to superglue it and they lasted until one of the drivers died. The second pair broke from a 2 foot drop in a way that just isn't possible to repair. I'm not a clumsy person, the headphones rarely leave my desk and I'm pretty sure these were the only times they were ever dropped. I love these headphones but I'm looking to replace them with something less fragile.

Can anyone recommend me something?

Budget - Less than $300
Source - Asus Xonar DG PC soundcard. It has a small headphone amp but I can get something dedicated if required.
Isolation Requirements - I prefer isolation but it isn't required
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm looking for balanced, maybe with a touch of bass.
Past Headphones -
  • Shure SRH840 - Love these headphones. They feel and sound great but seem to be ridiculously fragile.
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X - I use these at work and while they are nice, I don't quite like the feel (too light?) and their sound isn't quite to my liking. I know that's not very descriptive but I'd need to sit down with them and figure out what it is that bugs me.
  • V-MODA M100 - The headphones feel nice but I find the bass to be overwhelming
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of music but my main genres would be metal, hip-hop and electronic.

edit: I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO 80 OHM. Any thoughts on these?

TangyRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 26, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
The dt770 is solid

If you don't mind making your budget out and losing Isolation the Phillips Fidelio x2 and hifiman he400s are both great open headphones at $300. I think they'd be a pretty good bump in terms of sound quality

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I recently picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's and I love them so much, it's time for the next step. With a budget of around $100, should I go with a soundcard or amp? I primarily use them to listen to all types of music while playing games on my computer. I did however recently purchase an Xbox One, so they will be used for that as well. Also, I am willing to spend a little more than $100, but less is always good too!

It would be nice if someone suggested a couple brands/models, then gave me the pros and cons.

I don't know poo poo about "sound" or headphones, but I do know I love the gently caress out of my M50X.

edit: I guess I should mention I'm using the ASRock H97M Pro4 which apparently has a pretty good sound card? After reviewing my system information, under sound it says "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" and "RealTek High Definition Audio."

10bux fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 27, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

10bux posted:

I recently picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's and I love them so much, it's time for the next step. With a budget of around $100, should I go with a soundcard or amp? I primarily use them to listen to all types of music while playing games on my computer. I did however recently purchase an Xbox One, so they will be used for that as well. Also, I am willing to spend a little more than $100, but less is always good too!

It would be nice if someone suggested a couple brands/models, then gave me the pros and cons.

I don't know poo poo about "sound" or headphones, but I do know I love the gently caress out of my M50X.

edit: I guess I should mention I'm using the ASRock H97M Pro4 which apparently has a pretty good sound card? After reviewing my system information, under sound it says "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" and "RealTek High Definition Audio."

You're not going to see any benefit with a new soundcard/amp/DAC compared to your computer's built in audio. The days of poo poo audio processing on motherboards (even most low-end motherboards) are long gone. Really the biggest reason to consider an upgrade is if your headphones had a high enough impedance that your onboard sound couldn't run them properly but that's just not the case with the M50X.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

grack posted:

You're not going to see any benefit with a new soundcard/amp/DAC compared to your computer's built in audio. The days of poo poo audio processing on motherboards (even most low-end motherboards) are long gone. Really the biggest reason to consider an upgrade is if your headphones had a high enough impedance that your onboard sound couldn't run them properly but that's just not the case with the M50X.

The big reason I can think of is to get rid of interference noise coming from other components (often times you can "hear" the mouse pointer move, for instance). But you don't hear any noise, it's not going to help.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hey there Headphone nerds, my Bose OE2's died on me and I've been doing some searching to replace them, in like $100-$150 range. The things I really liked about this old pair that I've been looking for

-Closed ear, cushions sit flush to my ears. I've tried out some pairs of other styles and wasn't a fan
-Nice sound balance, bass wasn't muddy or overpowering
-They weren't gigantic and I didn't feel embarrassed wearing them in public

Honestly I'm just considering getting the least garish pair of Soundtrue's I can find and being content, but I thought it was worth asking first

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 27, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GNU Order posted:

Hey there Headphone nerds, my Bose OE2's died on me and I've been doing some searching to replace them, in like $100-$150 range. The things I really liked about this old pair that I've been looking for

-Closed ear, cushions sit flush to my ears. I've tried out some pairs of other styles and wasn't a fan
-Nice sound balance, bass wasn't muddy or overpowering
-They weren't gigantic and I didn't feel embarrassed wearing them in public

Honestly I'm just considering getting the least garish pair of Soundtrue's I can find and being content, but I thought it was worth asking first

Guess it depends what you consider "embarrassing to wear in public." These are all well received options around your budget that I would consider decent looking:

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR125e-Headphones/dp/B00L1NTJAW/ (on ear open)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ (on ear closed)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ (over ear open)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ (over ear open)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-Headphone/dp/B00AZZNXOK/ (over ear closed)
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54 (over ear closed)
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86 (over ear closed)

Of these, the on-ear momentums are probably closest to what you're looking for.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 27, 2015

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
My current headphones are beginning to die out. Specifically, I have to twist the cord around and try and line it up perfectly to get any sound. So, I'm looking for a new pair.

Budget - Around $150. I'd prefer to stay around 100, but I don't mind going up to 150/160 if its really worth it. I'm pretty sure I paid around $150 for my previous two pairs and I liked them both.

Source - These will be used almost exclusively plugged into a desktop PC. Mainly for movie/gaming use.

Isolation Requirements - I can't imagine I need isolation.

Preferred Type of Headphone - I prefer over-ear headphones.

Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure about this, but I don't think I need too big of a bass sound. Maybe for action movie watching? But my normal music preference is musical theatre.

Past Headphones -My current headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M50S. I have no complaints about them. I've just destroyed the cord by getting it caught in the wheels of my chair one too many times it seems.
Prior to the Audio-Technica I had a set of Sennheiser, but I don't remember the exact model. I think I paid around 150-200 for them. They fit a little more snugly, and I liked that.

Preferred Music - I don't often just sit and listen to music on my PC, but if I do it is almost exclusively a Broadway cast album.

EDIT: Given that my problem seems to be running over the cord of my headphones, are there good headphones in the wireless category?

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 27, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

The big reason I can think of is to get rid of interference noise coming from other components (often times you can "hear" the mouse pointer move, for instance). But you don't hear any noise, it's not going to help.

Yeah, just about every motherboard on the market uses shielded paths for audio so a good chunk of that isn't an issue either.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
So the earbuds I got with my iphone have been slowly getting quieter and quieter, so I need new earbuds to take to the gym. I don't even know if there's a difference in quality among brands at this price range, but it can't hurt to ask :v:.

Budget: $20-30
Source: Iphone 5c
Isolation Requirements - optional
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud (IEMs are always too big for me)
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced I guess?
Preferred Music - Rap/Metal

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

absolem posted:

The dt770 is solid

If you don't mind making your budget out and losing Isolation the Phillips Fidelio x2 and hifiman he400s are both great open headphones at $300. I think they'd be a pretty good bump in terms of sound quality

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Can anyone tell me if "burn in" is an actual thing? It sounds like a load of poo poo to me.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

TangyRaptor posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Can anyone tell me if "burn in" is an actual thing? It sounds like a load of poo poo to me.

its almost certainly not a real thing

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

absolem posted:

its almost certainly not a real thing

Thanks again, that's what I figured.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm suffering through lovely Lync call quality, mostly in that other people hear my voice like a robot. My IT department is telling me that:

:sparkles: "You just need to use a Lync-optimized headset"
and that
:sparkles: "Your $300 analog headset with a boom mic is clearly the problem. Use a $20 USB headset instead."

I realize this is the headphones thread and not a mic thread, but thought someone might be able to help tell me if this is utter bullshit, or if not if there is any hope of getting a headset whose mic doesn't make me sound like Max Headroom on Lync and doesn't sound like poo poo for everything else.

Edit: Fixed formatting

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sounding like a robot is usually a network congestion issue. You could just buy the drat usb headset and make them fix it once the same problem emerges, but it could just as well be your lovely broadband

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
My old pair of ATH-M50s is starting to hurt my ears after prolonged use, either because the cushions have compressed or because I'm wearing them for longer periods and never noticed my ears touching the inner part of the headphones before. I'm not looking for a sound upgrade per se, just something more comfortable for my ears.

Budget - Around $150, max. I want to stay at the same level of audio quality that I had with my last pair.

Source - PC. Mainly for gaming / music.

Isolation Requirements - None.

Preferred Type of Headphone - I've never tried supra-aural headphones for a long period of time, so I'm not sure if they are more comfortable than circumaural.

Preferred Tonal Balance - Similar profile to the M50s that I have now. I also have a pair of etymotic ER-4s that I occasionally use, though those hurt the inner part of my ears after prolonged use :sigh:

Past Headphones -M50s and ER-4s

Preferred Music - EDM, hip hop, punk... I kind of run the gamut.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Does anyone know of a good headphone repair shop in the Seattle area that can fix a bad cable on some IEMs? I called Hawthorne but they said they didn't do it. It's a TDK IE-800. I like them and miss them so badly. :(

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Schiit Vali and Modi 2 Uber. Very good. Buy them.

I've had a Little Dot MkIII paired with various DACs and I've been rolling with an Asus Xonar Essence One for a few years and this stack blows them both away.

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 30, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a heads up - selling my just about new O2+ODAC now that I've got a Dangerous Source in my office.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Skim Milk posted:

Schiit Vali and Modi 2 Uber. Very good. Buy them.

I've had a Little Dot MkIII paired with various DACs and I've been rolling with an Asus Xonar Essence One for a few years and this stack blows them both away.

Looks sleek too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

grack posted:

Great thanks! I just remember when I was looking at purchasing these, a lot of the comments were talking about soundcards and amps. A lot of people spoke as if you had to at least have one or the other. Otherwise, you weren't getting the "full experience" out of your headphones. I'm sure most of the people were over-reacting and don't believe that onboard is good enough; but, is there a case for portable amps/cards if you do a lot of traveling and would be listening to music from your phone, tablet, or ipod? I'm just curious, after what you said, there's no way I'm shelling out the money.

Oh, and does "monitor" headphone just refer to the style of the earpiece actually entering your ear canal? Or does it have to do with the components as well? Just seems like whenever I see "monitor headphones" they are $1k+. They do go into the ear canal, but I have a lovely $20 pair that does that as well.

10bux fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2015