Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

Titles and blurbs of the first four episodes airing tonight, spoilered in case you don't want to read them.

Ep.1 - Lupin III's Wedding
Lupin is in San Marino to marry Rebecca, heiress to an important family in the country. A local tradition means that the wedding must be held in the presence of the captain-regents and especially of the precious royal crown. Guarding this precious crown is Zenigata, helped by the local police, who received Lupin's usual taunting message, but this time it seems Lupin is not involved.

Ep.2 - The Fake Fantasista
Mario Brozzi, a footballer for a San Marino team, is blackmailed by the mafioso Riccardo Mondini with clinical records according to which the footballer used doping. Helped by Fujiko, Brozzi gets in touch with Lupin and asks him to steal the clinical records from Mondini, or else he won't be able to play in the league's final game.

Ep.3 - 0.2% Chance of Survival
After the discovery of a fragment of Marie Antoniette's necklace, Lupin's gang is kept under surveillance by MI6 to recover the ancient jewel. Agent Nix is a difficult adversary for Jigen and Lupin, but the arrival in the city of the Prince of England, who is visiting Rebecca, will overturn the situation.

Ep.4 - Sharpshooter
Jigen visits a hospital to have a toothache healed, and finds out that in the city he's visiting the population is kept under the thumb by a certain Eric's gang of weapons traffickers, who is extorting protection money from them. Many people want Eric dead, but maybe the only person able to bring an end to him and his gang is Jigen.

Super pumped for tonight, btw :dance:

I'm hyped, for that Jigen episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Crain posted:

Why? What's wrong with Italupin?

The dub will probably be fine, but the OP is terrible and bad and should never be talked about except in terms of "oh wow, I can't believe how bad that OP is." Because it's bad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:siren: five minutes' warning :siren:

Come watch Bad Hulk (Eric Bana) while we wait.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Mikl posted:

:siren: five minutes' warning :siren:

Come watch Bad Hulk (Eric Bana) while we wait.

There's an Italian stream?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

aers posted:

There's an Italian stream?

Not officially, but should be super easy to find through google. Channel name is Italia Uno.

Speaking of which, SHOWTIME!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I didn't even realize they were supposed to be different voices until Zenigata.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The SD channel broadcast of this is dual audio and includes the JP dub track, so if someone's actually recording it it'll be available before it airs in Japan.

Unfortunately who knows if anyone is even recording the SD version lol.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welp, first episode owned :allears:

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

The dub sounded weird (that's not the Italian Lupin I remember!) but yeah that first episode was fun as heck.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jigen episode owned so hard guys. SO HARD. I'm not even kidding right now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh dang I didn't notice that all four were airing! I tuned out after the first one.

Oh well, I don't understand a lick of Italian anyways :v:

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

I like how there is an episode that is basically Lupin vs Daniel Craig's James Bond.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Not sure I feel inclined to watch any more of it without some kind of English translation, but that first episode seemed very promising indeed.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY

Japanese OP.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Really liked that OP, oozed a lot of style and it uses colours really well.

Forgot this show was airing, looks like I'll have something else to watch this season aside from One-Punch Man :D

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really liked that OP, oozed a lot of style and it uses colours really well.

In related news, this is the first time I've ever noticed "Color designer" in the opening credits.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
That was a great OP.
I don't know if it's been mentioned or shown previously, but looks like the particular Fiat Lupin is driving is likely a 1970 Fiat Abarth 695 SS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crunchyroll licensed Parts 1, 2, and 3 tonight.

Come on, do the new one.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Waffleman_ posted:

Come on, do the new one.

Very cool. The stuff of part 2 after Geneon or whoever stopped releasing them didn't have any good subtitled versions that I know of. I do love the dvd set of part 1 from a couple years back though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Come on, do the new one.

I came to ask about this. As a person who knows nothing about Lupin except I hear the series can wildly differ in tone, which ones were usually regarded as the most fun or must-watch? I plan on watching the first series just all the way through because it's only 23 episodes but the second and third series have a ton of episodes.

Edit: Typo

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 2, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I came to ask about this. As a person who knows nothing about Lupin except I hear the series can wildly differ in tone, which ones were usually regarded as the most fun or must-watch? I plan on watching the first series just all the way through because it's only 13 episodes but the second and third series have a ton of episodes.

1 is a bit darker but still super silly, you can watch all of them but people generally like 2nd lupin the best.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heres why you should watch the first though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQI2_4oUjsg

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The first series is 23 episodes (1971), great great stuff. The second half or so of them by the founders of studio Ghibli, Miyazaki and Takahata. The first eps by Osumi are incredible too. In a word, it's groovy. Way better than the second series in my book.

Check out the countless movies and specials too. Needless to say, see Castle of Cagliostro!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Castle of Cagliostro is one of the best ways to get into the series

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Have Lupin and Jigen always had hairy hands?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Always.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So is there anywhere simulcasting the new show or am I gonna have to wait for official subs?

Goes from a solid 8 to a 10.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is there anywhere simulcasting the new show or am I gonna have to wait for official subs?

Not yet, but seeing as Crunchyroll just put up the first three series, I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting it. They have two more fall acquisitions to announce, so we'll know shortly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just watched first episode, this looks like it's going to be pretty good. It probably won't beat Woman Named Fujiko Mine but it's still got ~styyyyyyle~.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some of the Italian episodes were dual audio so I watched them awhile back and yeah, it's not holding up to Fujiko Mine.

But that's okay, it's entertaining enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish the ending to the Jigen-centric episode wasn't hella lame, though.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've finally gotten around to watching this, now that it's on Crunchy Roll. I like how stylish it is, though Fujiko has already been assaulted a handful of times. Does that ever stop being a thing?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Normie Slayer posted:

I've finally gotten around to watching this, now that it's on Crunchy Roll. I like how stylish it is, though Fujiko has already been assaulted a handful of times. Does that ever stop being a thing?
Fujiko is the femme fatale. She plays all sides in order to further her own, and often times her feminine wiles catch the attention of horrible people.

I don't want to tell you that it always happens, cause it doesn't, but it is a thing and it is known to happen a fair amount of times.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Just watched first episode, this looks like it's going to be pretty good. It probably won't beat Woman Named Fujiko Mine but it's still got ~styyyyyyle~.

To be fair Woman Named Fujiko Mine is a pretty high standard imo.

I'm looking forward to this though! Hopefully it keeps up with the first episodes quality.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dug about half of Fujiko, but overall I like most Lupin stuff a bit better than that one. The whole main plot with the Owl dudes didn't really do much for me. A few of the more serious episodes also fell flat for me. I did love some of the episodes though, and it's overall style.

This new series looks incredible, I should hop on soon! I'll probably wait a bit for it to get going in Japan, though there's the first four in Japanese.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the new series on any streaming service? If so, which one?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know much about Lupin the Third other than who the main characters are but that new stuff looks really slick so I want to get into it. Can someone give me a watching list that is more specific than "all of it?" Stuff that is easy to legally obtain and translated into English would be best if possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first three TV series are all on Crunchyroll, Fujiko can be streamed/bought from Funimation, and some of the movies like Castle of Cagliostro and Secret of Mamo are on Hulu and are also easily available on DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Castle of Cagliostro is a good place to start.

If you can stand old animation I really dig the first tv series (up on Hulu and CR). The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, the tv series from a few years ago, is also quite good.

• Locked thread