Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

edit:
THERE'S A NEW LUPIN SERIES SIMULCASTING RIGHT NOW WATCH IT ON CRUNCHYROLL

i lied this is actually the jigen appreciation station

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
You're under arrest for grand thread lying. Come out with your hands up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

i lied this is actually the jigen appreciation station

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Will Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone ever get released stateside? Also is it any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty good, barring the weird naked, greased up Fujiko getting menaced by a robot with a drill penis bit.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty good, barring the weird naked, greased up Fujiko getting menaced by a robot with a drill penis bit.

That is a wonderful image, thank you for that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kleptobot posted:

Will Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone ever get released stateside? Also is it any good?

Discotek picked it up and they're even putting out a dub for it.

It's pretty cool, I wish Koike could direct more Lupin stuff because even though it's half the time as the usual special, it's way more memorable than most of the Lupin tv specials. It's incredibly refreshing to see a new Lupin entry that doesn't make the cast into unquestionably good guys, I had feared that Fujiko Mine was gonna be a fluke since after that they went back to the same old bland formula for the tv specials.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 18, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jigen's Gravestone also ties in directly with Secret of Mamo which is like my second favourite Lupin III thing ever. Maybe equal second with 'The Woman Called Fujiko Mine'.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yeah the tone that koike's stuff has for lupin is such a step up from the usual crap that gets released yearly- princess of the breeze and another page were astoundingly disappointing after the tv show.
the movie is pretty much like my perfect version of a random lupin episode rather than a full on tv special or movie- i really wish he'd direct a lupin-oriented series since jigen's gravestone pretty much revels in the really adventurous and stylish tone that every lupin scene had in the mine fujiko tv series

also not enough jigen appreciating in this thread

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's a video of a dude dressed as Daisuke Jigen playing bass to Super Hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxpjQdje94

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Here's me saying that all the naked Fujiko's are really good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

yeah the tone that koike's stuff has for lupin is such a step up from the usual crap that gets released yearly- princess of the breeze and another page were astoundingly disappointing after the tv show.
the movie is pretty much like my perfect version of a random lupin episode rather than a full on tv special or movie- i really wish he'd direct a lupin-oriented series since jigen's gravestone pretty much revels in the really adventurous and stylish tone that every lupin scene had in the mine fujiko tv series

also not enough jigen appreciating in this thread

I'm hoping that it's an indication of what to expect from the blue jacket tv series coming sometime this year. if the episodes are even half as good as gravestone then I'll be pretty pleased.

Or at the very least maybe they'll give us some good Zenigata episodes. Poor guy is always squandered in those specials :(

Here's me appreciating Jigen threatening Conan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lupin the Third is good and I am sad to admit I have not watched as much of it as I should.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That part was one of the highlights of the special imo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Lupin the Third is good and I am sad to admit I have not watched as much of it as I should.

It's really hard to find out what to watch after you get through the usual recommendations because boy howdy there is a fair share of dull, bland Lupin stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

New TV series is coming out this Spring headed up by this guy: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=450

Looking at that record, it's gonna be awesome.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ccs posted:

New TV series is coming out this Spring headed up by this guy: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=450

Looking at that record, it's gonna be awesome.
holy gently caress i didn't know this was coming
aaaaaaaa yesss

Srice posted:

It's really hard to find out what to watch after you get through the usual recommendations because boy howdy there is a fair share of dull, bland Lupin stuff.
yeah, definitely. the tv specials especially suffer from this simply by nature of volume and what you like out of lupin stuff since there's a quite a bit of a spectrum to the kinda adventure genres covered of wildly varying quality

also here's jigen on a minecart

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2015

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Jigen's Gravestone also ties in directly with Secret of Mamo which is like my second favourite Lupin III thing ever. Maybe equal second with 'The Woman Called Fujiko Mine'.

I never thought I'd see the day when Lupin raises an Avenger-tier stinger in its pre-and-post credits sequences.

Also, Beef Waifu or anyone else, if you want to skim the Lupin TV series, this site has some good recommendations regarding the ones with the best animation staffs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I watched the episodes of lupin that aired on adult swim. I really liked the english voice acting, particularly lupin and jigen.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lupin the III is a really awesome franchise, and I'm pretty loving down with either dubs or subs. I have appreciated both.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Watched first episode of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - this show does not miss a single opportunity to show a pair of tits.

If there were more tits in this show, every character would be a walking tit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine sort of works as a fun adventure series with tits, but really shines if you see each episode as Fujiko occupying a different role women have played in popular fiction, and then making it her own. Sayo Yamamoto is the best and we're really overdue for another full series by her.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Fujiko Mine is one of the best animes of all time

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been going through the 3rd Lupin series lately and, well,

http://www.hulu.com/watch/535773

Everybody, watch episode 18. Or at the very least jump to the 18 minute mark and watch what happens. It's loving amazing. 80s Lupin owns.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine sort of works as a fun adventure series with tits, but really shines if you see each episode as Fujiko occupying a different role women have played in popular fiction, and then making it her own. Sayo Yamamoto is the best and we're really overdue for another full series by her.

putting thievery to good use

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

for lupin being with fujiko is about fun
being with jigen is true love

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It was hosed up in Mine Fujiko that Zenigata tapped it before Lupin even had a chance

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

poo poo, that's a good thread name

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm a font of good thread names man

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I need to get around to finishing the Fujiko series one of these days. But what they really need to do is make a Zenigata series and show why he's the best of the best.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
A series focused on Zenigata's Captain Ahab style quest for justice would be good as hell

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

A series focused on Zenigata's Captain Ahab style quest for justice would be good as hell

Seriously. I think the only character who couldn't carry their own show is Goemon, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want them to try anyway.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If they did a show with the pervert Goemon from Mine Fujiko who still tried to stay true to his samurai code it would be really funny and good

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

If they did a show with the pervert Goemon from Mine Fujiko who still tried to stay true to his samurai code it would be really funny and good

thats my 2nd favorite goemon

the dub for the 2nd series goemon is my fav bc he's really chill and super wry instead of just being a straight-faced boremaster

also randomly he does poo poo like kill jesus's twin vampire sister instead of being useless

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
The lack of Goemon in Jigen's Gravestone was a bit disappointing, but I'm glad they didn't try to jam him into the story for no good reason, as they probably would have if it were a tv special.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Srice posted:

I've been going through the 3rd Lupin series lately and, well,

http://www.hulu.com/watch/535773

Everybody, watch episode 18. Or at the very least jump to the 18 minute mark and watch what happens. It's loving amazing. 80s Lupin owns.

I miss 80s anime. it was the little small detail things that made it great, like Lupin getting handsy really quick with the bunny girl while getting shot at from the disco minigun, all at an otherwise 4-5 frames per second.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

It was hosed up in Mine Fujiko that Zenigata tapped it before Lupin even had a chance

More like amazing! Although I bet she did that to get out of jail or something, which would fit her character.

Sounds like I need to pick this series up again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pointlessone posted:

I miss 80s anime. it was the little small detail things that made it great, like Lupin getting handsy really quick with the bunny girl while getting shot at from the disco minigun, all at an otherwise 4-5 frames per second.

It's really a shame that pink jacket Lupin gets a bum rep because of that bad movie, because the animation work in the tv series is just wonderful. Character designs can be a little different from episode to episode and they put a lot of thought into plenty of little things. Really helps in selling that goofy tone and it's a shame that we'll never see a Lupin project like it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
It's not great, but I honestly don't think Gold Babylon is that bad. I feel it's marginally better than Nostradamus, as the cinema films go.

• Locked thread