Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think Mortynight Run is a much better bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Or, you know, the first episode.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

NiceGuy posted:

I think it's interesting that in the concept art it looks as though Rick is coldly ordering the blob creature he created to his death whereas in the finished product it looks more like a mercy killing.
Roiland talked about this in the interview posted earlier. He wanted ti clear that the creature was in perpetual pain and couldn't be soothed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schnedwob posted:

Like it did with the baby cronenburg thing?

It wasn't a loving Cronenberg, stop saying this. It looked nothing like one, it was just a random alien.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Rixty Minutes was the episode that got me into the series, I was kind of lukewarm on it until those improv TV shows just kept rolling in and i couldn't stop laughing

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Did the Numbericons raid Rick's weapon cabinet?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Roiland talked about this in the interview posted earlier. He wanted ti clear that the creature was in perpetual pain and couldn't be soothed.

Did he mention whether or not rick created the creature?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

So would anyone introduce someone to this series with 'Total Rickall'?

The first one I watched was Meeseeks and Destroy and I loved it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did he mention whether or not rick created the creature?

Given that earlier in the episode Jerry actually finds it in its frozen state briefly (while he's looking for the weed-wacker I think), before putting it away, I kinda think he just took it from someplace and used the freeze ray, but yea... :shrug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Philip Rivers posted:

A children's TV show that has found a way to get past network censorship and tackle queer issues is actually A Big Deal because there really isn't much in the way of queer friendly media for younger folks.

Toxxupation posted:

the point you are mistaking, probably intentionally, is that goons sure do love to bring up and talk about lesbian characters esp in fiction under the auspices of "progressiveness" when really what they're doing is 1) fueling a fetish that 2) gives them the moral high ground to make posts about how it's all about the grander representation in media when they couldn't really give less of a poo poo because boy do they love posting about lesbians!!! again, adventure time

reducing a character to their token sexuality is 1) creepy 2) completely missing the overall aims of representation of different sexualities in media and fetishizing only one aspect of a character 3) probably indicative that the character themselves is nothing to write home about outside of some gimmick like their sexuality being not heteronormative

if you were to take the posts in AT or the SU threads and replace the word "lesbian" with the word "black" it'd put a finer point on how the "progressive" tack is really just a way for goons to cloak their obsession with lesbians

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Five star post

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Shut the gently caress up about moonmen gay space rocks!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hazo posted:

Heavy.

I like what you ended up with. It's like a cobbled-together futuristic version of a cattle bolt.
I'm thinking about trying this today so I'm also interested in hearing answers.

It's better if it looks like something that legitimately looks like it had other uses rather than something that was 100% meant to kill oneself in my opinion.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Toxxupation posted:

if you were to take the posts in AT or the SU threads and replace the word "lesbian" with the word "black" it'd put a finer point on how the "progressive" tack is really just a way for goons to cloak their obsession with lesbians

A lot of the characters are people of color of various stripes as well and this is lauded just as often.

People reduce shows and characters to just those elements because they don't want to get in an argument about quality, which is very subjective, with someone who is very unlikely to be welcoming and quite likely hasn't seen the show in question. So instead of trying to have a discussion that would have no chance of being productive, they just focus on aspects that are easier to see the merits of, like positive & broad representation of races, ethnicities, non-traditional families, sexualities, genders and body types.

I could try to argue that any particular children's show has good music, animation, action, comedy, world building, and character development, but most people would probably just dismiss that and honestly that's fair. It's a freakin' kid's cartoon. You have no reason not to, and this isn't even the right thread for it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shut up about the more-progressive-than-thou sadbrained gender rocks Tumblrbait show already.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Shut up about the more-progressive-than-thou sadbrained gender rocks Tumblrbait show already.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
oh my god get a room

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh my god get a room

or a different thread

Might I suggest e/n?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

a Good Post

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Schnedwob posted:

Shut the gently caress up about moonmen gay space rocks!

Jesus Christ MarieSchnedwob, they're minerals!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FireWorksWell posted:

So would anyone introduce someone to this series with 'Total Rickall'?

If the goal is to trick them about Mr Poopybutthole I don't think it would really work. It's made super, super obvious in the very first scene that the viewer is supposed to think he's also one of the thought parasites. I mean, that's the joke there, "watch out for any zany characters that don't seem to fit" and then a zany character shows up. That joke only works if you can tell that Rick's description is describing Mr Poopybutthole. You're supposed to think he doesn't fit.

It's a good episode so it'd be a perfectly fine intro, but I don't see what's wrong with using the pilot. Hell, maybe even show them Doc and Mharti first just to weed out anyone that's gonna get freaked out by freaky poo poo.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Come tonight, there's only 17 episodes of Rick and Morty. Starting with the first episode is fine, this isn't some twelve season epic saga.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The first episode is the pilot and the pilot is awful.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

I started watching with the first episode and kept watching, so did almost everybody else ITT. Chances are if someone thinks the pilot isn't funny they won't like the show so why bother

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Irish Joe posted:

Take the pilot, and shove it waaaaay up your butt.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

This is a terrible opinion. You're like Hitler, but even Hitler cared about Germany or something.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Irish Joe posted:

It's actually really good. Maybe a little unpolished compared to the rest of the series so far, but a great episode nonetheless.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's actually really good. Maybe a little unpolished compared to the rest of the series so far, but a great episode nonetheless.

GO BACK TO TUMBLRRR!!!! liker of thing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

GO BACK TO TUMBLRRR!!!! liker of thing

Liking something isn't a tumblr thing. Being offended and triggered is a tumblr thing.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
jesus christ this is obscene

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Can it be 11:30 already so we can talk about the show and put the shitflinging to an end?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

edit: yeah Total Rickall's a bad episode to start with.

I liked the pilot, but I remember thinking that Rick belched and said "Morty" way too many times and it might put some people (the wrong people) off.

In the hopes of keeping this thread on-topic for more than three posts at a time...what was the episode that had you hooked on this show?
My first episode was with the Zigerian scammers and it definitely had me hooked by the end. The only episodes I wouldn't start someone off with are Rick Potion #9/Rixty Minutes and Meeseeks and Destroy.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 30, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The gag of him suddenly being in the intro loses punch, but that's about it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Introduce people to the show with the pilot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, if they don't like the show after watching the pilot, they' probably wouldn't like the show anyway. Heck, if you don't want to show them the pilot, show them Love Potion. Sick or Swim bitch.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, if they don't like the show after watching the pilot, they' probably wouldn't like the show anyway. Heck, if you don't want to show them the pilot, show them Love Potion. Sick or Swim bitch.

It's a matter of taste, I guess; the Pilot doesn't really stick out in my head aside from the whole customs chase scene, the ending, and the way Rick suddenly starts drooling when Morty's panicking.

Still creeps me out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's one of the best parts.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

A good 1-2-punch of Pilot and Lawnmower Dog should do.

Followed by Anatomy Park, then the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

CelticPredator posted:

That's one of the best parts.

Oh, definitely, but nothing tops "it's a figure of speech Morty, I don't respect them"

• Locked thread