Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ace of Baes posted:

The first one

That's how I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

I got a call from an officer accessions recruiter a few days ago. She told me they had done exactly that with my remaining 2 years - failed to transfer me to IRR - and asked if I was interested in some exciting positions for my intel background...yep. Anyway, I already ran through my IRR obligation time period so it doesn't matter.

Does anyone know if resigning your commission is still A Good Idea or if it's safe enough to have just completed IRR time?

Remember that officers serve indefinitely. So even if your IRR obligation time is up, you're still in the IRR until you transfer back to a TPU/IMA position in the Army Reserve or formally resign your commission.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

psydude posted:

I have no idea how you active duty guys put up with being in the garrison army full time. Heavy drinking? Stockholm syndrome? Masochism?

Yes

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

psydude posted:

Remember that officers serve indefinitely. So even if your IRR obligation time is up, you're still in the IRR until you transfer back to a TPU/IMA position in the Army Reserve or formally resign your commission.

Is this the case for like 90 year old dudes who just sorta forgot about the Army entirely and never resigned their commission?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

Is this the case for like 90 year old dudes who just sorta forgot about the Army entirely and never resigned their commission?

Somewhere sitting in a filing cabinet are papers drawn up for Dick Winters' court martial because he never showed up for the orders to Vietnam they forgot to send him.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

McNally posted:

Somewhere sitting in a filing cabinet are papers drawn up for Dick Winters' court martial because he never showed up for the orders to Vietnam they forgot to send him.

Korean War but yeah.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

You're assigned a mandatory removal date, so they do kick you out eventually, but otherwise pretty much. You can keep getting promoted and even retire in the IRR if you earn enough points.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

White Chocolate posted:

Korean War but yeah.

No, he showed up for that one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think I'm just not going to go to drill this weekend. I lose money vs working (I work Thu-Sun 1300-0100) and there is a very real chance I'd be held over until well past whatever we do in the morning. Often I don't get off until 0600 or so.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Geirskogul posted:

I think I'm just not going to go to drill this weekend. I lose money vs working (I work Thu-Sun 1300-0100) and there is a very real chance I'd be held over until well past whatever we do in the morning. Often I don't get off until 0600 or so.

Just RST instead and provide a good reason. That usually works with my unit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is the first drill, 30 days, since the deployment

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

This is the first drill, 30 days, since the deployment

You mean your Yellow Ribbon event? Or the first drill since your 90 day break?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ahahaha 90 day break lol we didn't get that this is normal drill because gently caress you

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously, yellow ribbon (I don't even know what that is exactly) shows as being squeezed in on Sunday afternoon, with normal drill sat and Sunday. This isn't even my normal unit (I was pulled from my home unit) and they haven't released me back. gently caress this I'm not going.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Geirskogul posted:

Ahahaha 90 day break lol we didn't get that this is normal drill because gently caress you

I was on loving LEAVE when our yellow ribbon came along. They still pressured us to go. My old unit was so ate up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

They can't actually force you to go to drill until 90 days after your terminal leave expires. Now, the moment that you show up for drill, you have to start again. Tell them thanks, but no thanks. And refer them to JAG if they complain.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

psydude posted:

They can't actually force you to go to drill until 90 days after your terminal leave expires. Now, the moment that you show up for drill, you have to start again. Tell them thanks, but no thanks. And refer them to JAG if they complain.

This was great because with my PDRMA days I didn't show up until January and they tricked half my unit into coming back for the August drill (same month we got back).

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

11b1p posted:

This was great because with my PDRMA days I didn't show up until January and they tricked half my unit into coming back for the August drill (same month we got back).

Ahahahahahahahahahaha I am so happy that I am transferring now. That is some BS. Also I had no idea you deployed with them.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

White Chocolate posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha I am so happy that I am transferring now. That is some BS. Also I had no idea you deployed with them.

Once with them and also one before that. Guess which one I'd do all over again? When are you out of here? 404th right? If you are I'll see you when I'm running the pistol range.

11b1p fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So uh, what's going on with infantry and armor branches, as far as officers are concerned. Got to talk to some LTC's and COL's at a social this week and apparently going to IBCTs or SBCTs doesn't mean we're going scouts, we could also become infantry platoon PL's.

Make's ABOLC's focus on tanks that much weirder with the fact that only maybe 15 in my 80 person class are going to ABCT's, and they could end up as scouts too anyway.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Needs of the army, bitch.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
hahahaha, that sucks. I know that on the enlisted side, tankers are commonly used as scouts and infantry, scouts can be used as infantry, but going the other way never seems to really work out. Tanks are just a hateful beast, and if you know your way around one, jumping in a Stryker or Bradley is not a problem that 5 minutes of orientation can't fix.

as for officer side, well, I think you just got hosed because there's a lot of you hanging around. Earlier this year they were giving captains their orders to gently caress off by the fistful and there was never a shortage of fresh o3s to fill their place.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
actually come to think of it out of the 4 COs we had in 2 years only the first 1 was armor. The rest were infantry, one even coming from ranger bat.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm just glad I'm going to an SBCT instead of an IBCT. And my brigade being at Fort Lewis helps too. Still, I'd rather end up in a scout platoon than an infantry platoon.

The biggest difference I've noticed between armor and infantry LT's here at Benning is that there are way more motards in IBOLC.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

11b1p posted:

Once with them and also one before that. Guess which one I'd do all over again? When are you out of here? 404th right? If you are I'll see you when I'm running the pistol range.

411th first because I'm not "pretty" enough read: (CCC, airborne CAQ-C), my last drill I will be at the range with these guys is end of this month. Also 411th goes to FIG a lot and Mass.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

I'm just glad I'm going to an SBCT instead of an IBCT. And my brigade being at Fort Lewis helps too. Still, I'd rather end up in a scout platoon than an infantry platoon.

The biggest difference I've noticed between armor and infantry LT's here at Benning is that there are way more motards in IBOLC.

you better aspire to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IatwoA00E0

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

411th first because I'm not "pretty" enough read: (CCC, airborne CAQ-C), my last drill I will be at the range with these guys is end of this month. Also 411th goes to FIG a lot and Mass.

Wait are you at the 411th EN BDE HHC?

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 30, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

woe to anyone who goes to FIG

and by Mass do you mean Devens?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he means holy communion you clown. the unit goes to catholic mass and takes the body and blood of christ

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

he means holy communion you clown. the unit goes to catholic mass and takes the body and blood of christ

that's be better than the bar outside of the gate at devens

i puked in those bushes more than i care to remember

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yes.

psydude posted:

Wait are you at the 411th EN BDE HHC?

CA BN, but we do have one of their BNs(and a platoon?) at my old unit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

psydude posted:

Skipped drill, told them "thanks but no thanks," and just five minutes ago the 1SG just left my house after personally showing up and letting me know that I have an AWOL letter incoming for 4 skipped mutas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Skipped drill, told them "thanks but no thanks," and just five minutes ago the 1SG just left my house after personally showing up and letting me know that I have an AWOL letter incoming for 4 skipped mutas.

I hope you told him his boss can look forward to hearing from the IG and TDS.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

psydude posted:

I have no idea how you active duty guys put up with being in the garrison army full time. Heavy drinking? Stockholm syndrome? Masochism?

That's why im gone, garrison army was the most awful thing I ever experienced, i didnt know until later that deploying overseas back-to-back was actually a blessing.. I didnt have to deal with that regular army dick sucking/riding/swallowing that is ADA/Support/ or pretty much any other type of combat unit not training to move down range for my first contract and a half. It only took 6 months of mind numbing powerpoints and loving organized PRT (LOL, like who thought that was a good idea) before I got hemmed up just for plain old bureaucratic cock riding bullshit.

I was literally shielded from some of the worst of the Army for so loving long just because I got lucky and got those 25U slots in group. I talked to E3-E4s who did all 4 of their years at Ft.Hood in some ADA/support hell even some of those CAV units and I felt so bad for all of them because I dont think they got to experience the good parts of the army, looking back, I sure as hell did.

Those other units I dont know how guys even make it through their first contract, I know I wouldnt have, no loving way.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 31, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They've spread the yellow ribbon events out all the way to October, in what the training calendar shows are 4-hour chunks the afternoon of the sunday of drill, and then are saying that we have to show up saturday (or, in October's case, it's a 4-day field lane training event with yellow ribbon on the last day at the armory, so the 3 days prior) for normal drill and do drill stuff because the entire weekend or MUTA 8 is classified as a yellow ribbon event and those are required because yellow ribbon is a "soft" event (?).

Man I don't even loving know anymore.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

They've spread the yellow ribbon events out all the way to October, in what the training calendar shows are 4-hour chunks the afternoon of the sunday of drill, and then are saying that we have to show up saturday (or, in October's case, it's a 4-day field lane training event with yellow ribbon on the last day at the armory, so the 3 days prior) for normal drill and do drill stuff because the entire weekend or MUTA 8 is classified as a yellow ribbon event and those are required because yellow ribbon is a "soft" event (?).

Man I don't even loving know anymore.

Are you reserve or guard? Yellow Ribbon events are supposed to be a 3 day TDY with your family arranged by your RSC or whatever the guard equivalent of an RSC is. It's not a drill event.

e: Either way I'd file an IG complaint because they're forcing you to do drill activities under the pretense that it's a yellow ribbon event, which defeats the purpose of a yellow ribbon event.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 31, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

An O5 and several O3s are about to get buttfucked and that makes me smile.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

do tell

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You can't leave us with blue balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If that guy gets IG to do something.

sorry bros

• Locked thread