Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PickleBunny
Jul 5, 2007
Maybe if they added a feature to detonate c4 based on which one you were looking at. Kind of like the feature for medic guns where it tells you when you're pointing at an injured player. That way, you just look in the general direction of what you want exploded and boom, exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PickleBunny posted:

Maybe if they added a feature to detonate c4 based on which one you were looking at. Kind of like the feature for medic guns where it tells you when you're pointing at an injured player. That way, you just look in the general direction of what you want exploded and boom, exploded.

Well, do any of the Demo weapons have an alt fire? If not, could use the alt fire as "detonate C4".

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Demo would be fixed for me if they dropped a block of weight so I could carry the M79 and RPG at the same time because grenade pistol is decidedly unfun. I wish it was a weapon you could use for the first few rounds as a stepping stone on the way to 2 better weapons like the other perks, but it seems that it's designed to be a staple of the perk due to its weight. Or Tripwire has the expectation that you'd pick a main demo weapon and then fill out your loadout with an off perk like that one level 20 skill suggests.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Finlands Sexiest posted:

Aaah cool, I just tried it with berserker's resistance, didn't know demo has one too

Berserker has partial resistance to Siren damage. Demo has a skill that makes explosives totally invulnerable to Siren screams.

moot the hopple posted:

Or Tripwire has the expectation that you'd pick a main demo weapon and then fill out your loadout with an off perk like that one level 20 skill suggests.

The 10% buff to off-perk weapon damage is fairly meaningless, I think. With most weapons, you're already one-shotting the trash with a headshot without the buff. For the stronger stuff, you don't end up saving much ammo, if any. You're also really limited on your choices if you try to pair something with the RPG. Someone suggested the Double Barrel, and I think they're right about that being the best option.

az
Dec 2, 2005

^^I used the medic smg and played offspec medic while waiting for things to rpg. After that I shelved demo until they do something else with it.

Let's talk about the real reason C4 is not very good right now. C4 has a hardcoded trigger that if a zed took any explosive damage within 3 seconds, C4 damage to that zed is reduced by a whooping 50%. And this "may" be stacking, ie. first C4 comes in at 50%, second at 25%, third at 12.5% etc. Somebody really hated pipebombs at twi.

Azran posted:

Still waiting for this, az :v:

Yeah I didn't check back last night. Please keep this in spoiler tags because some people rather not be spoiled yet :p

From voice files 3 months ago, so maybe subject to change.

Mp7

Mp5

P90

Kriss Vector

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I think the best way to demo right now might be to start as Berserker(so you don't have to pay for ammo) and switch perks once you have enough money to go t3/4. Using the grenade pistol and a 9mm just isn't that much fun.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

az posted:

Let's talk about the real reason C4 is not very good right now. C4 has a hardcoded trigger that if a zed took any explosive damage within 3 seconds, C4 damage to that zed is reduced by a whooping 50%. And this "may" be stacking, ie. first C4 comes in at 50%, second at 25%, third at 12.5% etc. Somebody really hated pipebombs at twi.
Man, i had no idea, that sucks. I didn't even know they were considered a problem to be fixed, pipebombs were fun in 1. They were a huge cash/weight investment to do a single, coordinated high spike of damage against a single target, which you had to balance with having the endurance for longer 150+ enemy waves.

I don't know, from a player perspective i always prefer "single dominant strategy" balancing to bring fun alternatives up instead of bringing the dominant strategy down. Course that's much more complex and riskier from a designer viewpoint.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Berserker has partial resistance to Siren damage. Demo has a skill that makes explosives totally invulnerable to Siren screams.

The 10% buff to off-perk weapon damage is fairly meaningless, I think. With most weapons, you're already one-shotting the trash with a headshot without the buff. For the stronger stuff, you don't end up saving much ammo, if any. You're also really limited on your choices if you try to pair something with the RPG. Someone suggested the Double Barrel, and I think they're right about that being the best option.

You know what fits the Demo Weight limit perfectly? Microwave + C4 + Medic SMG. That gives you options to deal with everything including something that screws over the explosion resistant scrakes.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

az posted:

Yeah I didn't check back last night. Please keep this in spoiler tags because some people rather not be spoiled yet :p

Mp7

Mp5

P90

Kriss Vector

I hope these have super-tazers strapped to them or something. This list is a bit straightforward for KF.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

brocretin posted:

I hope these have super-tazers strapped to them or something. This list is a bit straightforward for KF.

Yeah, that list is weird and I hope it is wrong, because I can't imagine there'd be any meaningful difference between the first two and barely any meaningful difference between the last two.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Well to be fair the Caulk N' Burn and the Flamethrower are pretty similar :v: I do hope they end up being the class with electric weapons.

Theswarms posted:

I think the best way to demo right now might be to start as Berserker(so you don't have to pay for ammo) and switch perks once you have enough money to go t3/4. Using the grenade pistol and a 9mm just isn't that much fun.

I hated this approach in KF1, where Demo wasn't a perk you used in the first couple waves due to the cash you needed. I'd love to see Tripwire make it a valid choice at game start.

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
You do start with that grenade pistol, have yet to try it out though. liking the new maps regardless

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

black hold posted:

You do start with that grenade pistol, have yet to try it out though. liking the new maps regardless

The problem is that the grenade pistol sucks. You're better off picking another perk until you can get the cash to purchase an M79, or ideally, the RPG-7, then switch over.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

black hold posted:

The grenade pistol isn't consistent enough against anything Gorefast and up. I think either boosting its damage and ammo pool would do the trick. Also Demo needs a reload speed perk bonus.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I think the grenade pistol should have been double-barreled to help with its inconsistency (so you can finish off the 1-3 guys the first shot was crappy enough to not kill), but it's a bit late for that. Just upping its damage will probably make it passable until you can get something better for more dangerous things.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If they're really opposed to make it do more damage (enough to consistently kill Gorefasts), they could just add a lot of stagger/knockdown. So even if it won't always kill the Gorefast at least it'd buy you a lot of time to reload/run. Hell, consistent strong ranged crowd control is a good niche for the Demo to have in the early weapon tiers - no other class does that yet.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've been running around as a demo with the M79 and Trenchgun, with C4 once I can afford it. Besides leveling both of the new classes the trenchgun gives a nice medium-range option to a class that sorely lacks one right now.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I can tell ya one thing, the hans fight is a lot more fun now with at least one demo in the group.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
How do you know which guns level which classes?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Truecon420 posted:

How do you know which guns level which classes?

Pistol and grenade level whatever perk you currently have equipped
Katana either doesn't give perk XP or levels the perk you have equipped
every other weapon is a perk weapon and gives you XP for that perk

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I think when you get the xp+ in the bottom corner of your screen you'll also see where the xp is being applied to.

example:

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 30, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yea you do

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is there a reason to use the Microwave Gun's main fire, vs. just using the piercing alt-fire?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is there a reason to use the Microwave Gun's main fire, vs. just using the piercing alt-fire?

Main fire can pop zeds in less ammo.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Someone said that tapping M1 does more micgun dps than holding it, but my future already spells "CARPAL TUNNEL" in flashing neon letters so :effort:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

brocretin posted:

CnB-Flamethrower, literally the entire Commando line up. The Demo is also, deconstructed, just ever incresingly more damaging one shot explosive weapons, so that as well. Support has 3 shotguns that don't really differentiate besides just being better than the last. Honestly only the Zerk and Medic stand out as not having straight forward weapon lists.

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, that list is weird and I hope it is wrong, because I can't imagine there'd be any meaningful difference between the first two and barely any meaningful difference between the last two.

MP5 is likely an MP5K as one thing all those weapons have in common is being "easy" to one hand. If we go MP5K->MP7->P90->KV45 then the implied bonus, besides magazine size, is decreasing spread and recoil. Magazine size would also go 30>40>50>28, with the KV45 having a comparative advantage in damage over it's predecessors to make up for the magazine shortfall.

Keep in mind this hints towards rather defensive play and some kind of usage of a riot shield or stun baton, which IMHO should both be available for the offhand, so you can get the more conservative tanky riot shield that can negate 90% of damage, or go the aggressive stun baton route that tanks through parry/block. To make the SWAT more effective, make it's taunts actually draw aggro, or something similar.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
How do you get access to pyro and demo? Is there a beta only thing or something?

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Ramsus posted:

How do you get access to pyro and demo? Is there a beta only thing or something?

Right-click on KF2 in Steam, select Properties, and select the Betas tab. Pick Preview 8.15 out of the drop-down menu. No codes required.

Thank you Steam for being so straightforward :rolleye:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Azran posted:

I hated this approach in KF1, where Demo wasn't a perk you used in the first couple waves due to the cash you needed. I'd love to see Tripwire make it a valid choice at game start.

Yeah. I get that there are Optimal Class Changes (Sharpshooter shooting better with pistol spawn in KF1, for example).

But if you are feeling rather strained starting as any given class, then that class should have a more pleasant starting position. Being told "Play some other class for X point of the game" as your solution makes you wonder "Well, is there something wrong with the other classes then?"

Oh you don't like starting with practically single digits in ammo? Have you considered playing another class entirely? Applies to Support some as well as Demo, particularly with the ammo cuts in the beta. One of the reasons I was liking commando was because if I spawn in wave 1, 2, or even 3 with just the varmint rifle I don't feel so screwed over if I'm not tripping over ammo boxes (without people body blocking me so their zerker can pick up more grenades, in wave 2 :shepface:). Backup just makes my poor hobo trash clear even better while saving up for a REAL gun (oooh a pump action! *uses it three times then sells it to afford something on perk*).

Completely Frivolous question: Does killing stuff with nothing but the melee bash using the Syringe or Welder give you any experience yet? :downs:

Somewhat Frivolous question: Do 9mm and Knife kills grant you the bonus experience yet when doing perk goals? Like, killing stalkers as the commando? In Live, even with the backup talent you don't get that bit of bonus exp for 9mm and knife kills. Though hey, it beats HAVING to kill stalkers to level up. And you still get the larger amount of normal experience.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

But if you are feeling rather strained starting as any given class, then that class should have a more pleasant starting position. Being told "Play some other class for X point of the game" as your solution makes you wonder "Well, is there something wrong with the other classes then?"

I disagree to some extent. It stands to reason that some classes should perform best if they deploy their resources in a very careful and specific manner. Demo could arguably be unsuitable for early rounds because crowd control isn't terribly important. In later rounds, those, being able to wipe out large crowds becomes a real asset. This is especially true on higher difficulties. Not all classes need to be equally powerful all the time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Played my first game online, first time playing catacombs on a 7 wave game on Normal. Kicked for not having any perks over level 5. Never change Killing Floor community. :allears:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Great Beer posted:

Played my first game online, first time playing catacombs on a 7 wave game on Normal. Kicked for not having any perks over level 5. Never change Killing Floor community. :allears:

It gets worse. You got Level 25s doing loving Hard games. Take a guess why they're at Hard and not Suicidal or Hell On Earth. :v:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can solely use the 9mm until scrakes start spawning on normal before you're not holding your own weight, and everyone's a lowbie demo/firebug this patch, so that's amazing on so many levels.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I disagree to some extent. It stands to reason that some classes should perform best if they deploy their resources in a very careful and specific manner. Demo could arguably be unsuitable for early rounds because crowd control isn't terribly important. In later rounds, those, being able to wipe out large crowds becomes a real asset. This is especially true on higher difficulties. Not all classes need to be equally powerful all the time.

Yeah but that's "Things that blow stuff up make multikills better than things with single bullet weaponry" or "Sharp headshoots better than Medic".

Not "Oh you don't think you have enough ammo to make it through wave 1 in the first place? Have you considered the class that doesn't use ammo then you casual?"

alarumklok posted:

I'm pretty sure you can solely use the 9mm until scrakes start spawning on normal before you're not holding your own weight, and everyone's a lowbie demo/firebug this patch, so that's amazing on so many levels.

Well, the 9mm still takes 2 headshots to kill even a Clot on anything outside of Hard. And the Beta gave the 9mm a cut of -1 starting mags and -2 max mags. But if you suggest "Well just use commando with the backup talent then" we're back to "Well just play some other class in the first wave :rolleyes:"

EDIT:

Great Beer posted:

Oh my loving christ. I wish I could believe this was a joke, but yeah I can see people kicking you for being "too low level", on the lowest difficulty setting in Killing Floor.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 31, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Section Z posted:

Yeah but that's "Things that blow stuff up make multikills better than things with single bullet weaponry" or "Sharp headshoots better than Medic".

Not "Oh you don't think you have enough ammo to make it through wave 1 in the first place? Have you considered the class that doesn't use ammo then you casual?"

Save for the fact that you do have enough ammo to make it through, if you use your 9mm some of the time instead of insisting on using the Grenade Pistol on every single enemy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Section Z posted:

Oh you don't like starting with practically single digits in ammo? Have you considered playing another class entirely? Applies to Support some as well as Demo, particularly with the ammo cuts in the beta. One of the reasons I was liking commando was because if I spawn in wave 1, 2, or even 3 with just the varmint rifle I don't feel so screwed over if I'm not tripping over ammo boxes (without people body blocking me so their zerker can pick up more grenades, in wave 2 :shepface:). Backup just makes my poor hobo trash clear even better while saving up for a REAL gun (oooh a pump action! *uses it three times then sells it to afford something on perk*).

Quick aside, but they already reverted the Support ammo cuts at T1 and 2.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Save for the fact that you do have enough ammo to make it through, if you use your 9mm some of the time instead of insisting on using the Grenade Pistol on every single enemy.

I'm starting to think you are being willingly obtuse here. 9mm is still 14 consecutive headshots for 7 dead clots territory, even when you use it a lot (and I do use the 9mm a lot. gently caress you crawlers, you're not worth shotgun ammo).

I mean, if you are the sort of person who never misses a single headshot I can see the 9mm being 100% A-Okay for all times. Even at 7 trash kills per mag.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 31, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

az posted:

^^I used the medic smg and played offspec medic while waiting for things to rpg. After that I shelved demo until they do something else with it.

Mp7

Mp5

P90

Kriss Vector

Man that might be the blandest weapon selection I've ever seen, if that's really the final selection for SWAT than they better get some other really neat stuff, cause otherwise it looks like it'd just be a tankier Commando or a more shooty Support

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
There's a category for electric weapons and there better be some good-rear end poo poo in there in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Section Z posted:

I'm starting to think you are being willingly obtuse here. 9mm is still 14 consecutive headshots for 7 dead clots territory, even when you use it a lot (and I do use the 9mm a lot. gently caress you crawlers, you're not worth shotgun ammo).

I mean, if you are the sort of person who never misses a single headshot I can see the 9mm being 100% A-Okay for all times. Even at 7 trash kills per mag.

How many enemies do you think you need to kill on the early waves? Five-man on suicidal has 130-140 enemies in the first two waves. If you're taking a fifth of each wave, you've got an obligation of just under 30 Zeds per wave. You can honestly kill most of those Zeds with your Grenade pistol if you aim for groups of 2-3 Clots.