Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Cat Mattress posted:

Then obviously what we need to ban is practice, not airshows.

SITKA 43 would agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a literal line from the article.

You expect him to read the article before getting angry about it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a literal line from the article.

Vice.com/en_uk/

Godholio posted:

You expect him to read the article before getting angry about it?

I read the article. It's stupid.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Koesj posted:

Vice.com/en_uk/

If the idiot writing that was referring to the Liberal party it would have been capitalized. Which is why in English English people make a distinction between small-l liberalism and big-L liberalism.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Koesj posted:

Vice.com/en_uk/

Look, it's not about the definition of "liberal" between the US and UK, it's the smugness that one portrays when they say: "As a [political label], I think [similar thing] is good, but think [thing I think is bad] should be banned." Everyone says that bullshit line.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Speaking as a mother, I...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking as a Something Awful poster, I....

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

iyaayas01 posted:

This one is long but worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

That molten whatever it as spewing out of the F6F engine at about 2:40...:stare:

I'm a huge pussy. Will I see any horrible deaths in close detail?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Crescendo posted:

I'm a huge pussy. Will I see any horrible deaths in close detail?

I may have missed one or two, but the one scene where I though I for sure saw someone buy it (deck crew getting engulfed in flaming jet fuel), the guy actually jumped out of the flames a few seconds later without any fire on him. Think that's the worst I saw. Certainly some bits where "yup, that pilot died" but nothing like seeing people horribly maimed that I could tell.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, eldest tsarina and I hit Thunder Over Michigan yesterday. It wasn't the best ToM we've been to, but it was still fun. They had all the big bombers way over on the other side of the field instead of in the middle of the show like they usually do, so I couldn't get up close to the Lancaster or the Privateer. They did tow the museum's Privateer and Canberra over to the show tarmac which was nice. There was a Viper demo, some stunt planes, the Blue Angels, the usual WWII reenactment. I was most excited about the Mosquito and the FW190. Seeing the Mosquito up close was like meeting a celebrity. The FW190 didn't even fly until late in the day, and it was roped off from spectators way away from everything else while it was parked, so I didn't get any good shots of it. It was kind of lackluster as ToM goes. There was a weird vibe and a distinct lack of aircraft aside from the big marquee planes like the Mossie and the Lancaster and FIFI. Anyway, here. Enjoy some average photos:

Fighter flyby - Razorback Mustang, Spitfire, Goodyear Corsair, other Mustang, other Mustang.

More fighter flyby.

Lancaster and Memphis Belle waiting for takeoff.

Some movie airplane.

MOSQUITO! :swoon: (Guns by WETA Workshop).

This gawky bastard.

FIFI at rest.

FIFI at play. Low passes by a B-29 are a hell of a thing.

I've got more that I'm processing, but I'm out of practice and I was never good at motion/panning shots anyway. Plus, it started raining halfway through so I stuffed my camera back in the bag and missed some good stuff. They also had an A-26 zipping around with the bombers, and a handful of Mitchells.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Any UK goons wanting to see a whole bunch of Spitfires fly about should come to this:

https://grrc.goodwood.com/battle-of-britain/battle-of-britain-day-flypast#Ul3GYdKjHJ9sJbS8.97

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just got back from the NY Airshow, went off without a hitch. The Raptor is a UFO.

It was such a success they announced next years dates, Angels headlining :getin:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This gawky bastard.

I've never thought about this before, but what was the logic behind redoing the tail? It makes the Privateer more visually distinctive, so that everybody knows this plane is Navy?

If it's a rainy Sunday night where you are, I found an article out of mid-60s Life. It's a story about movies on airplanes in the analog era. The first movie projectors for airplanes were developed by a business man who own 15 movie theaters, and he spent a million dollars of his own money developing it. He then couldn't get anybody interested in the idea, until underdog TWA decided to try it, to great success. Pan Am gets in on the act by hiring Sony to engineer its own in flight system. Pan Am's system can also receive baseball and football broadcasts on cross country flights (as long as the stewardess remembers to change the frequency every 15 minutes or so as the plane travels from one source of the broadcast to another.)

Then things get weird, as the government agency that is responsible for controlling competition in American airlines steps in, the I.A.T.A, or 'Eye Otter'. Because fares are set by this agency, and are set rather generously, airlines can compete with other things, like, say, food and movies. The best moment comes when Pan Am and TWA sit down together in Washington, and announce they are going to stop showing movies on all flights, least such a policy undermine Eye Otter, which it turns out is quite a racket for them.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've never thought about this before, but what was the logic behind redoing the tail? It makes the Privateer more visually distinctive, so that everybody knows this plane is Navy?

Beats the hell out of me. Weren't Liberators pretty tricky to fly with their weird wing and tail? Maybe the navy redesign was to improve handling/make it easier to fly?

Seeing one in the air was quite a thing. They're graceful in much the same way hippos are graceful.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

It was such a success they announced next years dates, Angels headlining :getin:

Nice. Having seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds half a dozen times each through my life I really prefer the Blues. They just seem to fly their aircraft a lot more aggressively, especially the solos. That said jet noise is jet noise. I haven't been to an airshow in several years and have yet to see a Raptor actually fly. Seen plenty of them on static displays, though. :unsmith:

I've heard the Snowbirds and a lot of European jet teams blow both the Blues and Birds out of the water, but I haven't had a chance to see any of them fly before either.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Previa_fun posted:

I've heard the Snowbirds and a lot of European jet teams blow both the Blues and Birds out of the water, but I haven't had a chance to see any of them fly before either.

Here, have a ride-along with the Swiss team (it's a 360 video, click and drag on PC to move the view around, or on your phone the accelerametors will do the same thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZ02-Qenso

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

Most of those teams fly basically aerobatic or trainer aircraft, not survivable combat fighters. Kind of apples/oranges thing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Previa_fun posted:

Nice. Having seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds half a dozen times each through my life I really prefer the Blues. They just seem to fly their aircraft a lot more aggressively, especially the solos. That said jet noise is jet noise. I haven't been to an airshow in several years and have yet to see a Raptor actually fly. Seen plenty of them on static displays, though. :unsmith:

I'm of the same opinion; the Blue Angels are by far and away better than the Thunderchickens.

As for the teams flying smaller aircraft, they really do, especially when you consider that the aircraft that teams like the Snowbirds and Red Arrows fly are massively underpowered compared to the Blues and the Chickens, which means they have a lot less performance margin to play with. Also, nine aircraft is far more impressive than six/seven no matter how you look at it.

Of all the teams I've seen fly, even though I am partial to the home team (Snowbirds), I have to say that the Red Arrows are probably the most impressive demo team to my eye. The Patrouille de France are pretty good too; I would put them on the same level as the Snowbirds at least.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
33 Airline Posters from Flying's Golden Age

Pretty cool slideshow from the NYT

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Beats the hell out of me. Weren't Liberators pretty tricky to fly with their weird wing and tail? Maybe the navy redesign was to improve handling/make it easier to fly?

Seeing one in the air was quite a thing. They're graceful in much the same way hippos are graceful.

Improved stability was the main reason, IIRC. The Privateers were actually pretty radical redesigns, with a lengthened fuselage, an improved defensive layout, and a whole host of other modifications. Later model B-24s were actually going to incorporate some of the features from the Privateer (Particularly the single tail), but the contract was cancelled before they could be built in any great numbers.

And yet neither one is in War Thunder! :argh:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The internet is amazing.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

God drat that's marvelous!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Improved stability was the main reason, IIRC. The Privateers were actually pretty radical redesigns, with a lengthened fuselage, an improved defensive layout, and a whole host of other modifications. Later model B-24s were actually going to incorporate some of the features from the Privateer (Particularly the single tail), but the contract was cancelled before they could be built in any great numbers.

I love the B-24. It was always more iconic to me. Maybe its just the double rudder.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
from today

not mine, sadly

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Top turret looking like R2 here. B-24 was my favorite also, because my grandfather was a navigator in one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Good advertising and airplanes: two great tastes that taste great together.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hermsgervørden posted:

Top turret looking like R2 here. B-24 was my favorite also, because my grandfather was a navigator in one.

I love them for the same reason, my grandfather was copilot in one.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

from today

not mine, sadly

That's a good shot. We had a Viper/Mustang heritage flight at ToM. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever seen a Raptor in the flesh, as it were. Maybe we can get one up here soon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

from today

not mine, sadly

Finally, something to replace the factory background on this laptop. Unf.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I love them for the same reason, my grandfather was copilot in one.

Same here, mine was the belly turret gunner. He took my brother and I to an airshow in the early 90s and he showed us how he got in and out of it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flight 775 probably.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Nebakenezzer posted:

If it's a rainy Sunday night where you are, I found an article out of mid-60s Life. It's a story about movies on airplanes in the analog era. The first movie projectors for airplanes were developed by a business man who own 15 movie theaters, and he spent a million dollars of his own money developing it. He then couldn't get anybody interested in the idea, until underdog TWA decided to try it, to great success. Pan Am gets in on the act by hiring Sony to engineer its own in flight system. Pan Am's system can also receive baseball and football broadcasts on cross country flights (as long as the stewardess remembers to change the frequency every 15 minutes or so as the plane travels from one source of the broadcast to another.)

Then things get weird, as the government agency that is responsible for controlling competition in American airlines steps in, the I.A.T.A, or 'Eye Otter'. Because fares are set by this agency, and are set rather generously, airlines can compete with other things, like, say, food and movies. The best moment comes when Pan Am and TWA sit down together in Washington, and announce they are going to stop showing movies on all flights, least such a policy undermine Eye Otter, which it turns out is quite a racket for them.

I like how the background of discontent with IATA started with the "Great Sandwich War of 1958"...is IATA even that effective today? I'm pretty sure the various airline alliances have more influence than they do presently.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Had my first flight yesterday where they had to call an in-flight emergency. Older gentleman had some blood sugar issues and a heart attack onboard, announcement for any doctors/nurses, etc. After about 10 minutes they went from assessing to diverting up to Salt Lake.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1855/history/20150830/1343Z/KCVG/KSLC/tracklog

Watching the inflight entertainment system stats during this, the 737-900 sped up about 100mph from normal cruise up to the 530-540mph range. Checking wiki that looked to be its max cruise speed. I recall the plane was vibrating a heck of a lot more than usual, and the landing into salt lake which generally is pretty bumpy was fairly intense. Did the pilots go to 100% throttle for the divert?

Thankfully the old guy lived and was pretty lucid l. Had to swap out the defib and other supplies before continuing onto SFO. Wasn't sure if it was a mixup or perhaps opening the plane quicker than usual, but they didn't wait to de-pressurize the jet before opening the main hatch. A few wooshes and a ton of hear popping while the captain got the door open shortly after landing. Just glad it all turned out well and I think in total we landed an hour and a half late versus our original time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Did the pilots go to 100% throttle for the divert?
Probably the opposite. Remember that a cruising aircraft has a lot of energy stored in the form of altitude, so the challenge for an emergency landing is to bleed that energy off in a way that gets you to landing as quickly as possible without over-speeding the aircraft. That usually means engines at idle, possibly spoilers being deployed as air-brakes in-flight, and maybe early landing gear extension for additional drag (on the final approach, not THAT early).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Alereon posted:

Probably the opposite. Remember that a cruising aircraft has a lot of energy stored in the form of altitude, so the challenge for an emergency landing is to bleed that energy off in a way that gets you to landing as quickly as possible without over-speeding the aircraft. That usually means engines at idle, possibly spoilers being deployed as air-brakes in-flight, and maybe early landing gear extension for additional drag (on the final approach, not THAT early).

We were going from CVG to SFO at a midpoint between salt lake and Vegas. The divert was an additional 20-minutes to get that way... Didn't slow down until we started making the quick decent.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That 739 doesn't want to slow down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

We were going from CVG to SFO at a midpoint between salt lake and Vegas. The divert was an additional 20-minutes to get that way... Didn't slow down until we started making the quick decent.

1500fpm isn't actually all that fast of a descent. You got to exceed 250kias under 10k ft though so theres that.

Airliners.net usually isn't a very good forum, but you can google specific topics that have good stuff: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/82291/

quote:

The subject you friends talk about is separated in two procedures for pilots.
xxx
"Loss of pressurization" is the first one. It can be gradual, forcing the crew to descend to a lower altitude, or it can be explosive decompression, forcing an emergency descent...
xxx
"Emergency descent" is the second procedure to mention. It can be performed two different ways - if you have structural integrity of the plane, that is often the case for a mere loss of pressurization, or if you had an explosive decompression (maybe a cargo door blew open, tearing a part of the structure of the fuselage).
xxx
Loss of pressurization, first thing to do is get on oxygen masks, establish communications, see if cabin pressure loss can be compensated by adding sources of bleed air, or extra air conditioning pack... close the outflow valves.
If it does not work, descend to a lower altitude...
xxx
Emergency descend (Boeing 707, 727 or 747 described here) can be done two different ways. Depends if you have structural integrity or not. One method is to descend immediately with spoilers, at Mmo/Vmo, this will bring you "down" faster initially, but you will reach a safe altitude later. The other slows down the aircraft to gear extension speed (Mach .82/270 KIAS) with the spoilers, then extend the gear, then start your descent and accelerate to gear extended speed (Mach .82/320 KIAS). This initially delays your descent, but you will reach your safe altitude earlier.
xxx
I prefer the first method, gear up, descend with the spoilers only, gear remains up, at Mmo/Vmo, and I will use the autopilot at least initially, 5,000 fpm. In this procedure, the passengers are less likely to panick, because the angle of descent will not be as steep, and the gear up will reduce noise. If I initiate an emergency descent, I bank the airplane a lot to start the descent, that is 45 to 60 degrees bank, that is not to give negative "Gs" to the passengers and send them against the ceiling of the cabin.

Now that sounds like a thrill ride. :catstare:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Butt Reactor posted:

I like how the background of discontent with IATA started with the "Great Sandwich War of 1958"...is IATA even that effective today? I'm pretty sure the various airline alliances have more influence than they do presently.

I thought the IATA was the organization that Reagan deregulated in the 1980s, but no, it still exists, though it's not arguing about sandwich sizes anymore as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Now that sounds like a thrill ride. :catstare:

El Al Flight 219

quote:

After being informed by intercom that a hijacking was in progress, Captain Uri Bar Lev decided not to accede to their demands:

"I decided that we were not going to be hijacked. The security guy was sitting here ready to jump. I told him that I was going to put the plane into negative-G mode. Everyone would fall. When you put the plane into negative, it's like being in a falling elevator. Instead of the plane flying this way, it dives and everyone who is standing falls down."[6]

Bar Lev put the plane into a steep nosedive which threw the two hijackers off-balance. Argüello reportedly threw his sole grenade down the airliner aisle, but it failed to explode, and he was hit over the head with a bottle of whiskey by a passenger after he drew his pistol. Argüello shot steward Shlomo Vider and according to the passengers and Israeli security personnel, was then shot by a sky marshal.[7] His accomplice Khaled was subdued by security and passengers, while the plane made an emergency landing at London Heathrow Airport; she then claimed that Argüello was shot four times in the back after he and Khaled failed to hijack the airplane. Vider underwent emergency surgery and recovered from his wounds; Argüello died in the ambulance taking both him and Khaled to Hillingdon Hospital. Khaled was then arrested by British police.