Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Shut up. That troll is hella cool and nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hahaha, I love the blood squirting from his eye!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I love Bulbasaurs Iron Warriors, but I'm curious how those same techniques look on Ultras. I always expect Iron Warriors to have that look of only maintained enough to remain operational.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For Frostgrave Reaper Bones seems to have a great variety of minis that would make a warband look hired out of a dirty pub which is what I want but I'm nervous to invest in them because of the claims you don't prime them and thinned paint beads on them. How well do they paint up?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've had no problems painting bones. I used Army Painter primer and no issues with tackiness at all.

There was a post earlier about 'priming' them with some kind of wash? May want to look through a few pages to find it.

Edit: it was in the Reaper thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540876&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=90#post449330389

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 29, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Dr. VooDoo posted:

For Frostgrave Reaper Bones seems to have a great variety of minis that would make a warband look hired out of a dirty pub which is what I want but I'm nervous to invest in them because of the claims you don't prime them and thinned paint beads on them. How well do they paint up?

Basically, you "prime" them with an unthinned or lightly thinned coat (or you thin with something besides water, like medium). A single unthinned coat of Vallejo or Reaper paint is no thicker than a layer of primer+thinned paint, so won't overly obscure details. Once you have that first coat of paint on, you don't need to worry about beading. It's only the paint applied to bare bones plastic that has the problem.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
oh, I thought you weren't supposed to prime bones figures? That might explain some of the problems I'm having with paint reappearing on high points like the edges of claoks, though it looks like it goes away with a few coats, so maybe it's just a matter of layering.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Foolster41 posted:

oh, I thought you weren't supposed to prime bones figures? That might explain some of the problems I'm having with paint reappearing on high points like the edges of claoks, though it looks like it goes away with a few coats, so maybe it's just a matter of layering.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a coat of paint. You just take paint straight from the bottle and put it on the mini. It acts as a primer, and the rest of the paint can be thinned as needed.

That said, you can prime them, but a lot of spray primers have solvents that react poorly with the Bones plastic. Brush-on pretty much always works, and some rattlecans are okay. Army Painter works well.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Good to know that Army Painter spray works, cuz I got some Bones to test out color schemes.

PS I hate Bones so much

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Reaper has a thread on their forums on what primer does and does not work, but in my experience Krylon works fine on Bones. Rustoleum does not (gets tacky). Brush-on works great.

If all else fails, just put a layer of paint over the model first and it'll give enough 'teeth' for future coats to adhere to.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does Vallejo primer through an airbrush work on Bones?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

Does Vallejo primer through an airbrush work on Bones?

Yes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Cross posting from the oath thread!

Grey Hunter posted:

[b]OATH COMPLETE![b]

A whole 15mm company of German Grenadiers!

1st Platoon!

2nd Platoon!

3rd Platoon!

The Evil Overlords - I mean company HQ unit.

Next month is their enemies, the British Paras! (again, a whole company, as I'm a masochist!)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I finished a vintage (read: lovely) IS-3 by some Russian factory I never heard of. Turned out okay, I think.

More photos here.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Did some more painting today, two warhammer lizard men I picked up in a bargain bin for $1 a couple of years ago. I was intending on taking a "before" picture, but forgot.

They looked to be pretty hastily painted, with only one color (an aqua/cyan color) for skin on one and a secondary skin color on the other, but neither had clothes painted. I repainted the shields and club handle because there was some slopping on them.

Club Lizard. I broke the arm. The top of the club had nice detail, so I kept that.

Axe Lizard.

They still need some more touch-up and a wash.

Edit: I'd like to do a secondary color on the bumps, but I'm not sure how to do that without the paint getting in the cracks.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Foolster41 posted:

Edit: I'd like to do a secondary color on the bumps, but I'm not sure how to do that without the paint getting in the cracks.

Thin your paints as normal, then dab off most of the paint onto a washcloth or paper towel so there isn't a lot of excess. You should be able to keep the paint going only where you put your brush.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Quick question: I have some Dark Age minis (28mm multi-part pewter), and I'd normally pin all the joins, especially the outstretched arms, but most of them are pretty small. Is it sane to just superglue them and reinforce with green stuff, or should I try to pin them?

Here are some pictures to give you an idea. The title image has separate pieces for the body, both locks of hair, the left arm, the right forearm+shield, the right hand, the front of the loincloth, and the knifes on the back.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Cross posting from oath thread as well. Started up Infinity and painted these guys, havent painted anything in 5 years or so. Pretty happy with them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Well, since I didn't get any sort of answer to my last questions, here's a simpler one: is there any appreciable difference between Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. or Army Painter primers? The first two I can get just down the street, I'd probably have to order the army painter stuff online.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hauki posted:

Well, since I didn't get any sort of answer to my last questions, here's a simpler one: is there any appreciable difference between Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. or Army Painter primers? The first two I can get just down the street, I'd probably have to order the army painter stuff online.

I've heard bad things about Rustoleum and Krylon on Reaper Bones, but good things about Army Painter. If you want to paint Bones, the Army Painter might be a better pick. (Granted, I haven't confirmed this myself.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hauki posted:

I find that Krylon is a good all-arounder that doesn't cover up detail, but I've had more cans of that go foul on me than any other brand. Rustoleum can sometimes be a touch...well, not tacky, but slightly sticky? if you don't let it sit for a while. A coat of paint over it solves the problem easily enough, I find. Army Painter matches perfectly with their paint range and their Dragon Red primer is probably the best red rattlecan I've ever used, but it's far more expensive than the other two and doesn't do well as a primer (it's more just aerosol paint than a true primer).

Krylon works fine on Reaper Bones, Rustoleum does not, and I don't know about Army Painter but I'd presume it works fine given my above point.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Mugaaz posted:

Cross posting from oath thread as well. Started up Infinity and painted these guys, havent painted anything in 5 years or so. Pretty happy with them.

These are sexy as hell!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've heard bad things about Rustoleum and Krylon on Reaper Bones, but good things about Army Painter. If you want to paint Bones, the Army Painter might be a better pick. (Granted, I haven't confirmed this myself.)

Slimnoid posted:

I find that Krylon is a good all-arounder that doesn't cover up detail, but I've had more cans of that go foul on me than any other brand. Rustoleum can sometimes be a touch...well, not tacky, but slightly sticky? if you don't let it sit for a while. A coat of paint over it solves the problem easily enough, I find. Army Painter matches perfectly with their paint range and their Dragon Red primer is probably the best red rattlecan I've ever used, but it's far more expensive than the other two and doesn't do well as a primer (it's more just aerosol paint than a true primer).

Krylon works fine on Reaper Bones, Rustoleum does not, and I don't know about Army Painter but I'd presume it works fine given my above point.
Whoops, I should've mentioned I'm using it on plastics, and that I'm planning on using Vallejo paints for the most part. I would be getting a white, grey and black primer. Thanks for the info. in any case!

Edit: I guess bones are a plastic too, for whatever reason I thought they were resin.

Edit edit: there's also a train hobby shop sort of near here that carries tamiya spray primer for whatever that's worth.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 30, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hauki posted:

Edit: I guess bones are a plastic too, for whatever reason I thought they were resin.

I think Bones are technically a vinyl-based plastic, which is why primer can be funny on them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm pretty sure any of the primers will work decently well with hard plastics like GW's or Mantic's. It's just the Reaper Bones you have to be careful with, and you don't actually need to prime them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is correct on both counts. Bones don't need priming, hard plastic (usually ABS I think) do, but primers won't be sticky and not dry the way they do on Bones.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I want a mini of a muscular-looking wizard for Frostgrave (28 mm) where I want to field a Muscle Wizard. Any ideas for which range I can find one?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not a viking posted:

I want a mini of a muscular-looking wizard for Frostgrave (28 mm) where I want to field a Muscle Wizard. Any ideas for which range I can find one?

Convert up a Flagellant. They're (mostly) bare chested, muscle armed and holding stuff that can be easily made quite wizardly

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any comments on using Vallejo Still Water, particularly for lava effects? Found a guide online but was curious about others' experiences with it, and if they recommend a different water-esque medium.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Also, use a 1-2 size brush with good point [for eyes], 0 and smaller will dry faster and give you less time to work with. Less time = more stress = higher fuckup chance.

This is oldish, but I just got some new brushes and I wanted to talk about 'em. I usually prefer 10/0 brushes for really fine detail work like eyeballs or fine freehand lines. I looked at my size 0 brushes and I can't understand how a person could use one of those, let alone a size 2, for eyes.

Granted, I did just pick up some Winsor & Newtons to try out (in size 0 and 1) so maybe they'll hold a point so well I can manage to use the size 0 for eyeball-sized things, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath thread crosspost: Ramos from Malifaux and the 2015 Con Miniature from Reaper (a.k.a. MOUSE SPACE MARINE :black101:)

Don't gently caress with that guy's cheese.

Ramos' base is an actual sprocket that I stole liberated from a production overrun at work, then crammed into a 30mm Warmahordes base and plugged up with some greenstuff. And then neglected to dust.

...Holy crap, Mugaaz, nice work!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know of an alternative to these that will hold cards inside of sleeves?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Signal posted:

Probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know of an alternative to these that will hold cards inside of sleeves?

What would you like the alternative to have that the UltraPro ones don't? The War Store has lots (just search for "sleeves").

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Not a viking posted:

http://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/in-stock/products/apotheosis-male
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/cs2033.html
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wyr20702.html Weird hats and the one that's kind of standing, hanging out could be good with a wand instead of a bow.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wyr20510.html Good beard face.
http://privateerpress.com/files/products/33057_Fenris_WEB.jpg Guy on foot is maybe good for a scary kind of look
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/high-allegiant-amon-ad-raza Bulkier guy
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/solos/lord-of-the-feast Antlerhat + BYOR

Also, one of these alligator men has a top-hat. Maybe reconsider doing anything that doesn't involve this model somehow.
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/minions/solos/wrong-eye-snapjaw

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Honestly, I want that exact product, just a couple mm larger :P Or something else that has a removable piece instead of the floppy deck boxes

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Signal posted:

Honestly, I want that exact product, just a couple mm larger :P Or something else that has a removable piece instead of the floppy deck boxes

Oh, I got confused. I thought you wanted sleeves themselves. You could try this? It explicitly says it holds sleeved cards.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not a viking posted:

If you want a far Eastern monk style muscleman you could go with some Ro-Kan minis from Bushido - http://www.bushido-thegame.com/

e.g. the dude on the left in the starter set (if you can get him separately, though some of the peasents would make great murderhobos in a themed warband):

Also these fuckers would make awesome 'Elemental Hammer' build melee wizards:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

lovely conversion time!

So, my FLGS has a contest this month with the theme of "desert." I wasn't sure what I wanted to do until I saw the GW River Trolls package. They normally look like this:

Decided I would convert them into horned toads. One of these beauties:

Oh, the folly of man. It took way longer than it should have, and I was only able to finish one.

Note the blood squirting from his eye. I snipped a bit off of the fish vomit that comes in the kit and glued it into the eye. If you're familiar with the trolls, you may notice a few extra spikes on the head. That was most of my conversion work right there, making spikes out of greenstuff and gluing them on. Cow skull is from the Malifaux ghost town basing accessories.

It's really not the greatest shading/highlighting job ever, but for the first half of the paint job, I was convinced I had utterly wrecked it and would need to strip and start over. I could not get the brown and the tan to blend neatly, until I kept going with different mixes and eventually got to the point where it blended smoothly.

So, not the greatest spikes in the world. I tried, guys, but I don't work with greenstuff very often. The cactus is from the same kit as the skull.

You can't really see it here, but there are bits of orange tinting on some of his back scales.

Base was basically just a thin layer of greenstuff so it wouldn't be flat, painted with a dark tan, and then with sand glued to it.

EDIT: I'm not sure why he's so greenish in the pictures. In real life, he's varying shades of brown and tan.

Desert troll won! Huzzah! I'll be talking to the judge tomorrow about some of the things I could have done better, but mine was still the best of the five entries, and I won eighty bucks in store credit. Not sure what I'll use it on yet, but still pretty cool.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

JackMann posted:

Desert troll won! Huzzah! I'll be talking to the judge tomorrow about some of the things I could have done better, but mine was still the best of the five entries, and I won eighty bucks in store credit. Not sure what I'll use it on yet, but still pretty cool.

It's a pretty fresh take on the troll scheme.

Somewhat troll related, I bought a goofy mini to paint for a friend.

I gave it another green glaze afterwards, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I need to build a light-box for taking pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Being from the desert, I like the horned toad conversion :v:

Anyway, after primer-chat earlier I ended up just picking up the Krylon primers to start since I could get them today instead of waiting a week. They were also like 1/3rd of what the army painter cans were priced at, not including shipping. Gonna clean up the figures tomorrow and have them all primed and ready to go when the rest of my paint arrives... sometime next week.