Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

You know? I'm completely not surprised you two know each other. He's a loving cool kid.

"Won't happen again Chief" - a cool kid.

He says "Yo! ;P" to you, Recruit Dad. Direct quote from his message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

tl;dr: gently caress property managers.

I would not recommend a property manager unless you are either on deployment or too far from your property. Every property manager I've had has been all about doing the bare minimum to collect their 10% per month. I am taking over the management of my home now that I live close enough again and I went to do some work on it last week. After seeing it and doing some work on it I'm ready to choke someone out.

We'll agree to disagree. I have two properties and HIGHLY recommend a property manager because you never know when you're going to be too far from your property or potentially deployed, as you mentioned. You've got to shop around for a good one, mind you, but the two that I use have been excellent.

Even if/when I do move back into the area, I will probably just buy another property again and still remained detached. I prefer to be an absantee landlord than to be fiddle-loving around with idiot tenants, their dependas, and their drama/problems. It's business, it's not personal (and never should be). I have literally never had contacted any of my tenants directly (I prefer it this way). Money just shows up in my account every month, there is zero gap between leases, and any problems that have arisen simply go away. *shrugs*

buttplug fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 29, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

buttplug posted:

We'll agree to disagree. I have two properties and HIGHLY recommend a property manager because you never know when you're going to be too far from your property or potentially deployed, as you mentioned. You've got to shop around for a good one, mind you, but the two that I use have been excellent.

Even if/when I do move back into the area, I will probably just buy another property again and still remained detached. I prefer to be an absantee landlord than to be fiddle-loving around with idiot tenants, their dependas, and their drama/problems. It's business, it's not personal (and never should be). I have literally never had contacted any of my tenants directly (I prefer it this way). Money just shows up in my account every month, there is zero gap between leases, and any problems that have arisen simply go away. *shrugs*

Owning property takes time, energy, and follow up - or you pay a property manager to do it.

BT

Anybody ever dealt with a stress fracture in their foot before? Will they place me on LIMDU if I go to medical and get it diagnosed? The pain is persistent and I have not been able to run for two months now. I'm afraid getting LIMDU since I have just checked into my ship for second tour. But with the PRT coming up in 10 weeks I'm worried.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean if you guys have mandatory PT or runs or whatever it's not going to get better. Seriously just go get checked out stress fractures suck. If you just go to work and go home 10 weeks is enough time

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you can complete on a bike you're perfectly fine as long as you can do the push-ups and sit-ups. If not, they'll waive you from the run and as long as you can complete at least the push-ups and sit-ups that's significant somehow that I don't recall (I think if you can't do any part of the PRT you're required to go LIMDU).

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

Owning property takes time, energy, and follow up - or you pay a property manager to do it.

You're right, and 10% is a small price to pay to let a professional deal with all of that bullshit. You get to keep your time, energy, avoid legal hassle and drama. No armchair lawyering, no cross-country emails/phone calls listening to excuses/sobs stories from tenants. Again, it's not personal, it's business. Especially when you've got multiple properties.

BT BT

Go see a doctor about your foot. Don't let it get worse, and don't not have any documentation on it, either. If you have to get a med waiver for one PRT cycle it's not the end of the world and your command isn't going to give a poo poo unless it's a consistent thing.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2015

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I got a waiver for the last PRT, it was so much fun to just do part of it.

poo poo still hurts though, just not enough to keep me from deployment apparently.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

germskr posted:

I make fun of the Navy just as much as any goon here, but you seem to have an obsession with hating it. Why did you join in the first place?

Anyone remember the shirts that would be half utility and half khaki with a crow on one collar and an anchor on the other for selectees to transition?
gently caress the navy

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Boon posted:

I would ask you why you have 200k sitting in the bank...

Because I just pulled it out of my managed account to buy a house/car/furniture/dog. I'm retiring, homeless and don't have much stuff. The TSP money is kind of useless to me right now. I can't even have it until I'm old but we didn't know any better until we were older and by that time it was fat.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress the navy

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

poopkitty posted:

Because I just pulled it out of my managed account to buy a house/car/furniture/dog. I'm retiring, homeless and don't have much stuff. The TSP money is kind of useless to me right now. I can't even have it until I'm old but we didn't know any better until we were older and by that time it was fat.

You can have it if you need it. The bad way is via normal penalized withdrawal. I wouldn't do that unless you have literally no options.

The smart way is via 72t qualified withdrawal. You make SEPP withdrawals (substantially equal periodic payment?) and you can get your money earlier than retirement without penalty. I would contact someone at TSP to make sure you are doing this right as there are a lot of rules on how to keep it legal.

In general Google SEPP or 72t withdrawal or go to bankrate for a 72t calculator to get started.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

What's the upside to the TSP and am I a dingus for not just having that money go to my IRA instead?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It has extremely low admin costs (the annual percentage charge to manage your investment investment), far lower than any account managed elsewhere. I don't know where your IRA is through, but in all likelihood, rolling it over into your IRA means that you're going to pay more for the essentially the same thing.

Also, I've heard (but not looked into) that some civilian government positions offer matching on the TSP.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I hadn't thought of the very obvious I don't pay a broker part. And yes, some civ jobs get a match. Because gently caress service members why would they do that for us.

When I asked a PO about the lack of match they replied "You get a 110% match on your motivation"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

When I asked a PO about the lack of match they replied "You get a 110% match on your motivation"

My initial thought was there's no way any person drawing oxygen would say that but, then I thought of the people I knew on the boat outside the IDC rates and could see someone saying that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I hadn't thought of the very obvious I don't pay a broker part. And yes, some civ jobs get a match. Because gently caress service members why would they do that for us.

OTOH if you stay in to 20 you can be pulling half pay for life just for sitting on your rear end as a 40 year old so you can't really complain too much about lack of matching 401k funding.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

OTOH if you stay in to 20 you can be pulling half pay for life just for sitting on your rear end as a 40 year old so you can't really complain too much about lack of matching 401k funding.

Half-pay chained to CPI. So... yeah that's pretty awesome.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
federal civil service gets up to 5% matching contributions, there may be different contributions/incentives for other agencies but that's for sure what dod/don employees get. the current civil service retirement (fers-frae) is a hosed up accounting trick to pay for old csrs/offset style retirement plans so I look forward to my retirement fund being bankrupt 30 years from now

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
They did a trial to see if promising to match contributions led to increased participation. The trial participants were new army accessions. Shockingly a bunch of 18yo Army boots didn't contribute to the TSP, match or no. So clearly there's no demand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

The services are authorized to match for military members, but it would come out of their budgets. GS matches are actually funded.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

krispykremessuck posted:

federal civil service gets up to 5% matching contributions, there may be different contributions/incentives for other agencies but that's for sure what dod/don employees get. the current civil service retirement (fers-frae) is a hosed up accounting trick to pay for old csrs/offset style retirement plans so I look forward to my retirement fund being bankrupt 30 years from now

FYI, DoS is the same way on matching. Although, FS has a different pension scheme (FSPS), not sure how hosed it is on covering the old CSRS, but, we have mandatory retirement so that's forced a lot of older people out.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

You're right, and 10% is a small price to pay to let a professional deal with all of that bullshit. You get to keep your time, energy, avoid legal hassle and drama. No armchair lawyering, no cross-country emails/phone calls listening to excuses/sobs stories from tenants. Again, it's not personal, it's business. Especially when you've got multiple properties.

BT BT

Go see a doctor about your foot. Don't let it get worse, and don't not have any documentation on it, either. If you have to get a med waiver for one PRT cycle it's not the end of the world and your command isn't going to give a poo poo unless it's a consistent thing.

Roger. Yeah definitely going to get it checked out. I can do the bike no problem, just running seems to make it worse. I'm pretty sure I got it hosed up running long distances without proper buildup.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

maffew buildings posted:

What's the upside to the TSP and am I a dingus for not just having that money go to my IRA instead?

If you're still in the navy I would do both, IRA and the TSP. If you've left the navy and aren't some kind of civil servant that can still contribute to your TSP, I would roll it into whatever IRA you have.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Anyone ever apply for transfer to IRR from SELRES?

I'm almost done with school, just got corporate insurance coverage, and am finally ready to make my exit from the Reserves.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

I'm almost done with school, just got corporate insurance coverage, and am finally ready to make my exit from the Reserves.

I've signed and sent off a handful of transfers, what do you want to know?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Was the health insurance worth the one weekend a month? I'm thinking about signing up for that poo poo just for health coverage if not anything else. I think SWOs get a 10k sign on bonus or some poo poo like that too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Was the health insurance worth the one weekend a month? I'm thinking about signing up for that poo poo just for health coverage if not anything else. I think SWOs get a 10k sign on bonus or some poo poo like that too.

If you've got a family to put on your health insurance, it's a great deal. If you're single or your SO has their own insurance, and you never go to the doctor, VA health is enough to fulfill the Obamacare mandate.

I never used the health insurance beyond dental (which is also a great deal). I'm here for the long haul because a) I'm a public school teacher and the reserves adds like 25% to my annual salary and b) it will give me a modest pension to live on even if the Republicans gut my civilian pension and the stock market tanks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Phillips posted:

So far the doctor and dentist that my wife went to and for the kids has been great and less than 1/2 of what my private company insurance was. Cheaper co-pays by 80% (my old job was $50 vs like $10 or something). Also catastrophic is capped at some absurdly low amount. It's a fairly good deal if you dont hate-hate-hate the Navy like some of the hombres here.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've signed and sent off a handful of transfers, what do you want to know?

What do I do? Do I just fill out a special request chit with "RR To Transfer To IRR Effective 1 Oct 15" or something similar? Who do I route it through? I'm guessing my CoC then the NOSC CoC? How long does it take?

I'm a little hesitant to ask people I know. My unit wants me to take over LPO in a few months which makes things really awkward. I told the current LPO that if I got this job that I was hoping for (yay) I was calling it quits but he honestly didnt believe me. Oh well.

Howard Phillips posted:

The Reserves were ... ok. Not great. Not terrible. Just ok. I ended up getting about 25$ an hour for sitting in a room playing on my cellphone on what would invariably be the least convenient weekend of the month. I never really had to do any substantial work other than giving training, documenting training, and helping people write orders. Mostly I just sat in a room trying to stay awake with absolutely nothing going on whatsoever. We tried to get some training materials but there wasn't any funding for it.

For AT I either went to schools or, for one confusing summer, sat at a picnic table at a shipyard in case any of the union guys wanted me to help them (they didnt).

I paid 205$/month for Tricare Reserve Select family-edition which is like a slightly crappier version of Tricare Standard. It makes sense for a college student or a professional that isn't offered health insurance.

E: I guess I'll mention that my corporate health plan is cheaper, has an absurdly low deductible, and 5$-50$ co-pays depending on the service. I lucked out there. Last week I picked up 1000$ of meds from the CVS next to my house for 5$. Definitely beats driving to the base and arguing with them about how reservists that pay for Tricare DO in fact get prescriptions. Every time I go there I have to argue that and every time they say they'll fill it just this once since I'm making a scene.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 1, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

What do I do? Do I just fill out a special request chit with "RR To Transfer To IRR Effective 1 Oct 15" or something similar? Who do I route it through? I'm guessing my CoC then the NOSC CoC? How long does it take?

Basically, yes. Chain of command signs it and routes to the NOSC and they should handle it. if your CoC is not dicks, they'll muster you AA after the date you want to transfer until you're off the RUAD regardless of how long big Navy takes to process (anywhere from 1-6 months).

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Does anyone know how the Reserves handles Chief selection? Like if you get selected do they just do Phase 2 on your one weekend a month or do they make you play Navy for 6 weeks straight?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Does anyone know how the Reserves handles Chief selection? Like if you get selected do they just do Phase 2 on your one weekend a month or do they make you play Navy for 6 weeks straight?

If you're close in to base, it is occasionally stuff in the evening and weekend stuff. If not, it is drill weekend or additional paid drills with AT and ADT funds for more continuous time closer to final night.

When I went through the season it was compressed and I had a few days nonpay drill and then different paid orders until done.

Most reserve Chiefs also have Big Boy jobs so are too busy to do stupid shenanigans supertroopers.gif

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Just picked up O-4 at 7YCS. Noble life remains good.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Nice, grats man. How long until you have your own command?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Sir Lucius posted:

Nice, grats man. How long until you have your own command?

Probably a while still. IDC command opportunities are still few and far between.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Octopode posted:

Probably a while still. IDC command opportunities are still few and far between.

Come to GA and unfuck us.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Analogical posted:

Come to GA and unfuck us.

I heard GA has a nice watchfloor, confirm/deny? Also please someone, unfuck the unholy mess that is FIOC Hawaii.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Intel never should have joined y'all in the suicide pact of IDC.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

I heard GA has a nice watchfloor, confirm/deny? Also please someone, unfuck the unholy mess that is FIOC Hawaii.

It's been that bad since at least 08. Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

squarerandom posted:

Watchfloor is one of the nicer I've worked on but it's also the newest to be fair. 40' high ceilings? Sure, why not.

My buddy just left his IDW board, eight hours long. Fuckin gung-ho CMC who isn't even an intel rating. Just once, for gently caress's sake, give us a CMC who was a CT at any point in their career.

• Locked thread