Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Real Super Mario Maker Starts Here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Miiverse posts can be left as in-game messages so if you find the invisible box you can just leave a message on that spot that says THIS IS WHERE THE VINE IS TO BEAT THE LEVEL? that is loving rad

i could see like a whole genre of collaborative puzzle stages come out of that, people slowly solving them via miiverse messages

Or load the level into the editor and see the solutions immediately

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

HenryEx posted:

Or load the level into the editor and see the solutions immediately

thats not fun though

well it might be fun

actually both ways are probably kind of fun

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm going to make a puzzle stage and then make Goatse out of invisible blocks so people who open the level to get the solution also get Goatse.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds about right. :ughh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Sadly, this isn't anything new for Nintendo, and anyone expecting otherwise really shouldn't have.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao youtube stars

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Grab all of the money Nintendo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I know it's kind of easy to go "lol youtubers am i right folks" on here, but I think that situation is extra ridiculous considering he and a lot of the youtubers that currently have the game are playing review copies Nintendo themselves sent them.

Also wow that touch fuzzy, get dizzy effect. When I saw someone describe it as lazy I was like what does that even mean, and then I saw it in motion and yeah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nintendo is doing a bad thing

but still, youtube stars

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wouldn't putting Mario maker levels and tutorials and LPs on YouTube help sell the game? It's not like a Bioware title or Metal Gear or whatever where the story is why people buy it. It's a toolset to make and share stuff

Nintendo should ease off

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wouldn't putting Mario maker levels and tutorials and LPs on YouTube help sell the game? It's not like a Bioware title or Metal Gear or whatever where the story is why people buy it. It's a toolset to make and share stuff

Nintendo should ease off

they would rather dick some people over for youtube pennies

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

they would rather dick some people over for youtube pennies

Does Nintendo do this themselves explicitly to videos or is it Youtube's auto detection? The difference matters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The "Nintendo Creators Program" covers pretty much everything they publish or have published for the last while. I can't remember if it's automated or not but the tl;dr is you'll get strikes against your videos if you try to monetise them and you're not signed up to the program (ie revenue share).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Miiverse posts can be left as in-game messages so if you find the invisible box you can just leave a message on that spot that says THIS IS WHERE THE VINE IS TO BEAT THE LEVEL? that is loving rad

i could see like a whole genre of collaborative puzzle stages come out of that, people slowly solving them via miiverse messages

edit: more effort in post

Tengames fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 31, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The "Nintendo Creators Program" covers pretty much everything they publish or have published for the last while. I can't remember if it's automated or not but the tl;dr is you'll get strikes against your videos if you try to monetise them and you're not signed up to the program (ie revenue share).

I think there's some exceptions though. From what I can tell the Game Grumps and The Completionist for example aren't part of the program (because it sucks) and they are able to get away with it just fine. But then you have Projared there who is getting flagged. And some blame does lay on the youtubers too, since Nintendo gives full warning about it (which is why that one rant video Angry Joe did is so dumb), but on the other hand maybe make an exception for the youtubers you're literally giving review copies to

Edit: apparently Projared's issue is from trying to stream on YouTubes new stream service, so it could actually be an automated YouTube problem

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 31, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

they only pull/mute the videos if theyre making money from ads, right? cause theres lots of longplays and lets plays on youtube that have been up for ages that arent affected

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.

Kly posted:

they only pull/mute the videos if theyre making money from ads, right? cause theres lots of longplays and lets plays on youtube that have been up for ages that arent affected

I used to work at YouTube doing some copyright stuff years ago and unless the system has changed since then, it just looks like they're automatically monetizing the music in the videos, not pulling them or muting them. So basically an ad pops up on the video and Nintendo gets a cut (and the original uploader is unable to monetize the video themselves). The way it works is a content owner uploads a bunch of reference files and sets up policies for each one. The polices have different options regarding how much of the content they'll allow someone to upload and what to do if someone is inside or outside of that threshold (monetize, do nothing, leave it in a queue to be manually reviewed by the content owner themselves, mute it or take it down). YouTube's content ID system then matches the reference files to whatever it detects and applies the polices.

Odnet fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought the hot poo poo now was throwing up a Patreon link and pulling in money from dopes to rant about video games and movies and crap. How much money do those people actually pull in from ads anyway?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Of all Nintendo's games, this is easily the one that would benefit the most from Youtube support. It's the sort of game that makes a name for itself on Youtube. Nintendo pissing away that symbiotic relationship is incredibly self defeating.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
People will post videos of Mario Maker regardless of if they're getting ad revenue from it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I feel like I'm not creative enough to make good levels and will just end up doing what everyone will be doing, which is randomly placing blocks. Enjoying that they turned out "good" in some self important completely imagined way. Then uploading them to be played by 10 year olds that can't spell "it was a good level."

I'm going to be everything I already despise other people for and the game isn't out yet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's okay to make levels that make you happy and share them even if you think they are not amazing

It is also okay to not make levels at all and just play ones other people made!

Mario does not judge you, Mario loves you for who you are

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

I feel like I'm not creative enough to make good levels and will just end up doing what everyone will be doing, which is randomly placing blocks. Enjoying that they turned out "good" in some self important completely imagined way. Then uploading them to be played by 10 year olds that can't spell "it was a good level."

I'm going to be everything I already despise other people for and the game isn't out yet.

Not every level has to be "good". While there's a fairly objective standard of what constitutes a "good" 2D platforming level (flow, length, difficulty, route options, etc.), there's a whole lot of other things at play for what you can create.

Maybe your level is pretty boring to play but looks pretty. Maybe it's not the greatest thing ever but it's got some cool idea to show off. Maybe it sucks but was made under the proviso you make it in ten minutes after downing two cups of coffee. Maybe it's telling a story. Maybe it's not great, or even good, but it's okay and is a good learning experience because dammit you made a plan for a level to make and you actually did it.

It's called Super Mario Maker, not Super 2D Platforming Game Design And Development Final Exam.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This is Iwata's final present to us. Do not fear if your levels are sub-par as long as you are having fun. That's all he ever wanted his whole life. :)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In some corner of your mind, with some memory you can attach to the joy Mario has given you, there's a level that nobody else in the world can think of, there's something that you and this level editor can make that is unique to you and only you. It won't come out immediately, but if you mess around and think of who you are and what Mario means to you i'm sure you'll put out at least one level that'll be amazing for its own individual reasons. :)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In some corner of your mind, with some memory you can attach to the joy Mario has given you, there's a level that nobody else in the world can think of, there's something that you and this level editor can make that is unique to you and only you. It won't come out immediately, but if you mess around and think of who you are and what Mario means to you i'm sure you'll put out at least one level that'll be amazing for its own individual reasons. :)

Thank you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
from the Wii U thread:

For those who don't own them already: if you buy Mario Maker at Best Buy you can get $20 off Mario Kart, Smash or Splatoon from September 6-12.

I think they're still doing that preorder promo with the Mario Maker badges, aren't they? Does that stuff stack?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is Iwata's final present to us. Do not fear if your levels are sub-par as long as you are having fun. That's all he ever wanted his whole life. :)

this made me really sad but a good sad

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's okay to make levels that make you happy and share them even if you think they are not amazing

It is also okay to not make levels at all and just play ones other people made!

Mario does not judge you, Mario loves you for who you are

Trasson posted:

Not every level has to be "good". While there's a fairly objective standard of what constitutes a "good" 2D platforming level (flow, length, difficulty, route options, etc.), there's a whole lot of other things at play for what you can create.

Maybe your level is pretty boring to play but looks pretty. Maybe it's not the greatest thing ever but it's got some cool idea to show off. Maybe it sucks but was made under the proviso you make it in ten minutes after downing two cups of coffee. Maybe it's telling a story. Maybe it's not great, or even good, but it's okay and is a good learning experience because dammit you made a plan for a level to make and you actually did it.

It's called Super Mario Maker, not Super 2D Platforming Game Design And Development Final Exam.

Suspicious Cook posted:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

These were all things I needed to hear today, not just about Mario Maker but just because.

Thanks, goons, I needed this. Seriously.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

wow that made me really sad

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Anyone know when the review embargo is lifted? I don't think I've ever seen so many detailed pre-release videos and impressions without actual reviews. I'm just curious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reviews are starting to go up and they don't say anything you don't already know if you've been following the game - easy-to-use editor, lots of options that unlock over time, lots of ways to share/search for online levels, should have [specific gimmicks xyz] but doesn't, no way to group levels or play them outside of one-offs or 10/100-Mario Challenge.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

review embargo is lifted, polygon and kotaku posted their reviews already

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I guess the embargo lifted about an hour before I posted that question as now they are everywhere.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Since the embargo is up is there a full list of Costume Mario options up anywhere yet? There's like 90+ of them and we've only seen maybe half that many.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is the closest we have to a full list, as far as I know: http://www.mariowiki.com/Costume_Mario

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Playtonic Games (Yooka-Laylee) are supposed to be live on Nintendo UK's twitch channel doing Mario Maker levels right now. Stream hasn't started yet but it said 5:00 PM BST.

edit: Sorry, read it wrong, that's tomorrow at 5PM BST. But anyways, they'll be there tomorrow to make and play levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

• Locked thread