Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jacobin posted:

Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiit

Good Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well that's something I needed with my lunch.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While no Godwin is necessary, the implied amount of it is amazing. Just wow.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

oohhboy posted:

While no Godwin is necessary, the implied amount of it is amazing. Just wow.

Finlayson did it himself, it's okay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If anyone listens to hauraki, Alex Behan appears to be having somewhat of a meltdown on live radio.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If anyone listens to hauraki, Alex Behan appears to be having somewhat of a meltdown on live radio.

Give us details, maaaaaan.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Sorry, I only listen to Radio New Zealand :smugdog:

Vagabundo posted:

Give us details, maaaaaan.

+1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems to be over now. For a while he seemed to be stressfully saying at someone who wasn't on air that he'd hosed up 3 times already, he'd been in radio 20 years and this was hands-down the worst show he's ever done. A few awkward pauses, then the next few segments were really wobbly and he sounded strung out as gently caress.

:iiam:

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

Sorry, I only listen to Radio New Zealand :smugdog:

+1

Like Mike is pretty awesome - Wells is too loving talented for this earth. He very nearly loses it right at the end of this https://soundcloud.com/radiohauraki/hauraki-breakfast-jeremy-wells-like-mike-hosking-rant-changing-the-nz-flag

A man with grin from sucking the marrow out. Well done champ.

Lol that the building doesn't even function as a station any more; though ithas improved since they got rid of the huge neon Valentines sign that used to hang off it.

If you go back to claim a masters opt for a shoot the sexy brick prison right across the road.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

believe it!

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
If you don't like rugby you're not a real New Zealander apparently.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Domestic violence to be added as "physical challenge" component of citizenship test.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Herald front page is on the pulse of the nation today, too.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Slavvy posted:

Herald front page is on the pulse of the nation today, too.

The one that looks like it's the All Black's mug shots?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Robo Captain posted:

If you don't like rugby you're not a real New Zealander apparently.

My mum is an immigrant and she loving LOVES the All Blacks. Is she a proper Kiwi now?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Vagabundo posted:

My mum is an immigrant and she loving LOVES the All Blacks. Is she a proper Kiwi now?

Depends. Is she one of the good, white kind of immigrants or one of the brown ones? God help her if her name sounds a bit Chinese.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Lets privatise CYF. After all, how could it be worse?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/282834/key-private-sector-involvement-in-cyf-possible

quote:

Key: Private sector involvement in CYF possible

Updated at 1:26 pm today

Max Towle - max.towle@radionz.co.nz

The Prime Minister says significant change is needed in Child, Youth and Family (CYF), and he's not ruling out some of its responsibilities being shifted to the private sector.

A damning report from the Children's Commisioner released last week found systemic problems within the service and questioned whether children were better off in state care.

John Key told Morning Report today the agency would undergo a structural overhaul following a review by the senior public servant Paula Rebstock.

He did not rule out a future role for the private sector.

"I don't think we're seriously talking about the private sector taking control of all the children, but if there is some small function they could do, maybe, I'd have to see what that is."

With CYF receiving about 150,000 calls a year, Mr Key said the review would look at the way resources were used.

"Within CYF, there are a lot of people doing a lot of good work, but to me the structure isn't quite right."

He said Ms Rebstock's report would be far reaching .

"She has a ferocious mind and is willing to drive change, she's not a shrinking violet saying 'I don't think we should look at this because historically it's been quite difficult to deal with'."

But the Association of Social Workers said privatising some of Child, Youth and Family's functions would create more problems for the service, and it fears any contract would be given to Serco.

In June, Social Development Minister Anne Tolley said she had no problems with companies like Serco picking up social service contracts, despite it coming under criticism for its running of Mt Eden prison

The executive officer of the Association of Social Workers, Lucy Sandford-Reed, said she suspected the call centre would be the first function to be outsourced.

"That really creates an opportunity for further fragmentation of the service delivery and could potentially create the opportunity for failure. And there has been a sense that a organisation like Serco could be looking at picking up those contracts."

A lecturer who trains social workers at Unitec, Peter Matthewson, said the idea of privatising some of Child, Youth and Family's functions could work.

"Non-Government involvement in family and child welfare is nothing new and pre-dates the state's involvement in those areas," he said.

The possibility of private sector involvement was also criticised by other political parties today.

Labour's spokesperson for children, Jacinda Ardern, said the Children's Commissioner's report made it clear the organisation needed more support from the Government, not less.

"This is a department that is severely under-resourced and under-supported - that's what needs to be fixed.

"There is no reason for the Government to go for the nuclear option that I have severe concerns it would lead to poorer outcomes for children," Ms Ardern said.

The Green Party's social development spokesperson, Jan Logie, said Child Youth and Family needed more resourcing and a major shake-up of the systems social workers were using.

But Ms Logie said the private sector had no place in the protection and care of New Zealand children.

"We have no evidence that injecting a profit making motive into core essential services, will improve our services," Ms Logie said.

Jude Pointon and her husband have permanent care of two young wards of the state, as well as looking after their own child, in Porirua.

She said privatising parts of CYF could exacerbate existing communication problems.

"It's very important in such a heightened emotional environment that communication is very clear so things don't fall through the cracks, and everything that needs to be done is done as quickly as possible," she said.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kris_b posted:

Depends. Is she one of the good, white kind of immigrants or one of the brown ones? God help her if her name sounds a bit Chinese.

She's from the most glorious of nations, Nippon.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ivor Biggun posted:

CYFs ... Serco
No loving way.

That's ...

I can't even make a joke about that, because National are a loving joke already.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

#notarort

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

No loving way.

That's ...

I can't even make a joke about that, because National are a loving joke already.

This government just doesn't give a gently caress anymore. They know that New Zealanders are so loving stupid that they'll vote for them no matter what they do, because rugby, beers, John Key and gently caress the poor.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
See, what you do is start the privatisation of public services with things no one cares about. Private prisons first, then charter schools for poor kids, you sell off state housing, and now care for vulnerable children.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's actually kind of brilliant, because when the private contractors start dropping babies it's just more voters for National.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
This is too loving much

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
In positive news, it looks like Kristine Bartlett has started something good.

Midwives sue Government over pay discrimination; Education union to also launch legal action on gender pay discrimination

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
There's nothing to worry about, the PM has said that they're women's jobs anyway.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/71584475/some-industries-dominated-by-women-john-key-on-midwives-pay

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

quote:

Kirsty Johnston ‏@kirsty_johnston 54m54 minutes ago

BREAKING: Education union NZEI will also take legal action over pay discrimination in the female-dominated Education Support workforce

-----

Jacindaghazi - does any of you radfem goons have an opinion on this?

Is she a genuine political force, or is she getting by on good looks and good media strategy?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

dusty posted:

-----

Is she a genuine political force, or is she getting by on good looks and good media strategy?

I like her because her (often exasperated) appearances on breakfast with Simon Cockhead Bridges led me to believe she is level headed, intelligent, and well spoken. I think the same of Metiria Turei. Neither of these women are my "type". I never really though about it, but after a quick google I guess she does fit societies definition of a "pretty woman".

But - even though I answered the question seriously thereby validating it - to even pose the question is pretty offensive. I've never heard a similar question leveled at a male. Is Riche Mackaw a good rug by player, or is it just because he is pretty?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Children can't vote, so why the gently caress would National ever give a gently caress about them?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

dusty posted:

-----

It mostly seems to be the right who obsess over her looks. It's a total non-issue amongst the Labour people I've talked to.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Children can't vote, so why the gently caress would National ever give a gently caress about them?

Gotta start your Blackshirts young, dude. Too old and they turn out like Umberto Eco.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Well if they cared about substance instead of just appearance they wouldn't be right wingers.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I'm betting on these tomorrow~

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New Zealanders are unimaginative and scared of things that are drastically different to the norm so I guarantee it'll be one of the middle two.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'll be voting no on changing the flag.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Are we still doing this soiling the ballot thing that Winston was talking about?

Can that really nullify the referendum?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'll gladly take a poo poo on my ballot

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Pararoid posted:

Are we still doing this soiling the ballot thing that Winston was talking about?

Can that really nullify the referendum?
Wait, what?

Isn't Winston's whole loving gimmick "BALLOTS BEST THING EVER, PUT IT ON A PUBLIC BALLOT OR GTFO."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
If Cabinet was smart they'd have a single fern one & three bad ones, they risk splitting the vote otherwise.

it's white supremacy, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dusty posted:

-----

Are you seriously asking if she's got to where she is because she's hot? Its a clichéd question by now, but would you ask this about a male politician? Or do you actually think women get into positions of power just by being attractive?

• Locked thread