Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MockingQuantum posted:

Hmm, I was unaware of this site. Interesting. Thanks!

Also, 78 hours on Final Fantasy X? How is that possible?

Blitzball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MockingQuantum posted:

78 hours if you include extra stuff, which I can attest is a lot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Howlongtobeat seems to be right as long as you click on the game and look at where it says rushed. I don't know what rushed means, it looks like just normal without grinding.

My last save on FF9 was 34 hours. That site says 43 for the main story. I don't know what I could have done for 9 more hours. But rushed says 34.

My last save on FFT was 25 hours. It says 38 for the main story. Rushed says 25 hours. Did people grind for 13 hours?

Final Fantasy V for me: 26 hours. Site average: 36. Rushed: 28.

There are a lot of people that are bad at jrpgs and spend way too much time grinding, so I can believe that people would grind for that long

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My Lightning Returns game is like 60 hours on its first playthrough just cause I was having so much fun extincting random poo poo and messing with garbs, hah.

I think you could beat that game in less than 10 hours if you even knew half of what you were doing. 20 hours probably blind I'd guess? It seems so short if you don't care about the systems.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mycot posted:

Blitzball?

Oh, that's fair. I never got that into it, so I just don't think of it as being a big part of the game. Could definitely eat up a bunch of time though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Also people who take it slow, explore everything and let the game run while making food or w/e

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Srice posted:

People also like to grind in games that don't even require grinding at all so they'll add a bunch of hours onto that.

What would you rate FF4 at? My first save file clocked at almost 24 hours even and I was too young to understand grinding on a conceptual level.

If I had to guess, most players would probably say five to ten hours less than that. I mean, you can get a bunch of testers together and get a general picture, but it's almost too hard to get a reasonable range. Honestly I'd probably laugh if I saw a game that said "15-60 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Srice posted:

There are a lot of people that are bad at jrpgs and spend way too much time grinding, so I can believe that people would grind for that long
Some people grind just cause games have fun combat. Like I had no problem grinding out titles in Tales of Graces cause it was so fun fighting stuff.

If it's a turn based game though, I probably will never touch any aspect of grinding. Like Persona 3 and 4? Fuuuuuuuck that.

The White Dragon posted:

What would you rate FF4 at? My first save file clocked at almost 24 hours even and I was too young to understand grinding on a conceptual level. If I had to guess, most players would probably say five to ten hours less than that.
I think 24 hours for FF4 is really fast for a young kid! I know it took me 40. 5 of that was probably trying to find the path to get the crystal sword. I was so naive.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

I was definitely one of those people, once upon a time. Growing up I'd refuse to use magic or items in random battles, and even kind of avoided using them in bigger fights, unless they felt like they absolutely needed it. As a result I had to grind like a motherfucker to not get my poo poo kicked in repeatedly. Unsurprisingly, early FF games are much more fun for me now than when I played them back in the day.

Tonfa posted:

Also people who take it slow, explore everything and let the game run while making food or w/e

I am also one of these people. It's half of why I don't really trust time estimates on longer games, I wander around the house all the time while playing longer RPGs because I have the attention span of a gnat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

90% of overtime in Persona 4 vanilla was because of skill resetting

Strategy games with job classes automatically don't have a set time because the whole point of those type of games is to experiment

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

What would you rate FF4 at? My first save file clocked at almost 24 hours even and I was too young to understand grinding on a conceptual level.

If I had to guess, most players would probably say five to ten hours less than that. I mean, you can get a bunch of testers together and get a general picture, but it's almost too hard to get a reasonable range. Honestly I'd probably laugh if I saw a game that said "15-60 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY"

It has been quite a long time since I last played it, but 20ish hours sounds about right?

Main thing I remember is that as long as I just fought enemies on my way I'd be adequately leveled such that bosses would have some degree of challenge, but I wouldn't feel underleveled.

Rascyc posted:

Some people grind just cause games have fun combat. Like I had no problem grinding out titles in Tales of Graces cause it was so fun fighting stuff.

If it's a turn based game though, I probably will never touch any aspect of grinding. Like Persona 3 and 4? Fuuuuuuuck that.

There's definitely a difference between grinding because you enjoy battles and grinding because you think you need a hojillion levels or w/e to advance.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tae posted:

90% of overtime in Persona 4 vanilla was because of skill resetting

Strategy games with job classes automatically don't have a set time because the whole point of those type of games is to experiment

My most recent save file for FFTA2 is around 90 hours for that reason. I shudder to think what my first playthrough of FFT was. I think I had an entire team of Calculators with Blade Grasp and Teleport because why the gently caress not?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

Main thing I remember is that as long as I just fought enemies on my way I'd be adequately leveled such that bosses would have some degree of challenge, but I wouldn't feel underleveled.

This is true for most JRPGs, which makes it annoying when I see people describe them as "grinding games", especially when the most popular IPs in the genre are generally pretty easy. Even beyond the mainstream, I skipped about a whole dungeon or two's worth of encounters in Radiant Historia and came out fine, and I wasn't even good at that game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 31, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Howlongtobeat seems to be right as long as you click on the game and look at where it says rushed. I don't know what rushed means, it looks like just normal without grinding.

My last save on FF9 was 34 hours. That site says 43 for the main story. I don't know what I could have done for 9 more hours. But rushed says 34.

My last save on FFT was 25 hours. It says 38 for the main story. Rushed says 25 hours. Did people grind for 13 hours?

Final Fantasy V for me: 26 hours. Site average: 36. Rushed: 28.

I'd argue that HLT's system doesn't make a strong distinction between "main story" and "main story + extras." Like how many extras are we counting here? Like Final Fantasy games have a bunch of late game content that's completely optional. In FF9 that I'd say just casually doing Chocobo Hot and Cold and the card game would put someone at 43 hours their first time through, then you toss in hunting for everyone's abilities and ultimate weapons and so on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Edit: Hey on the subject of FFX, how playable is FFX-2? I'm considering getting the remaster because I really loved X, but I remember playing about 20 minutes of X-2 before feeling it was unredeemably silly and giving up on it. I was younger and dumber then, though.
X-2 has one of the best combat systems in the series and an interesting story that explores what you do after destroying the recurring apocalypse whale that keeps wrecking poo poo and the mainstream death cult that keeps spawning it. It's both good and campy as hell.

Don't try to 100% it,though.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Nihilarian posted:

Don't try to 100% it,though.

Or at the very least know going in that story missions will advance the chapter and make certain side missions disappear forever. There's a lot of stuff that has no reason to be time sensitive, but you have to do it first or it's gone.

But yeah, 100%ing FFX-2 is for crazy people because it requires a long list of stupidly specific and missable things to do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erebus posted:

Or at the very least know going in that story missions will advance the chapter and make certain side missions disappear forever. There's a lot of stuff that has no reason to be time sensitive, but you have to do it first or it's gone.

But yeah, 100%ing FFX-2 is for crazy people because it requires a long list of stupidly specific and missable things to do.

Only if you're doing it in one run, 100% is supposed to be for New Game+

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I cant imagine myself playing any game for 78 hours except for ones I played with friends like Terraria and poo poo

Sidequests in most JRPGs arent even fun, I much prefer optional bosses/dungeons

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Oblivion for like 80 hours because it was my first open world RPG. I got close to that in Dragon Age: Inquisition too, most of that was probably the dumbest crafting system known to man though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I play hundreds of hours into sports games, and I'm sure handhelds nowadays go for a lot of hours just because it's easy to play and replay due to convenience. I probably wouldn't have a fraction of time spent on Awakening or Smash if they weren't portable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My save file in Bravely Default was about 80 hours before I burned out on it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If I like a game enough I will do the exact same thing in it over and over again for one hundred hours no problem, just for the sheer joy of watching the numbers go up. But it's cool when an RPG is designed so you can get through the gist of it and see the credits after 15 or so without it feeling hectic. I like it when the variance in completion time is based letting the player decide whether they want to skip any activity or content (or just save it for later).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you only do what you're required to do to beat Lightning Returns I think 8 hours or less is probable. Speedruns of it take less than three hours.

I mean that'd basically be taking the game's suggestion to do sidequests and going "nah" while also playing on Easy, but you could do it.

EDIT: I think each day is like an hour without Chronostasis too so the maximum length of the game is a little over 12 hours if you never stop time and play out every single day for 24 hours (which the game doesn't even encourage you to do, it wants you to skip time sometimes).

Nakar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

of the JRPGs I currently have, I'm trying to think of which one I'll play next and game length is definitely a factor. Right now on the Vita I've got Vagrant Story and that's a short one, so I'm on lock there, but I dunno what to play on PS3/Wii. I've got Spectrobes Origins but that aint on HowLongToBeat cause aint nobody played it but me. When I put in most of what I have, it's a lot of games listed at over 50 hours on that site. Persona 2: EP, Star Ocean 3, Tales of Symphonia, Suikoden III, Xenoblade. I just got no time to dedicate an entire dang month to playing one jrpg. Gimme them short campaigns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

My Lightning Returns game is like 60 hours on its first playthrough just cause I was having so much fun extincting random poo poo and messing with garbs, hah.

I think you could beat that game in less than 10 hours if you even knew half of what you were doing. 20 hours probably blind I'd guess? It seems so short if you don't care about the systems.

My first playthrough was about 20 hours, yeah. I didn't bother to 100% everything, though I did extinct a couple of the more common encounters, and it was fun. I don't see how the hell you'd get 60 hours; surely the clock would run out before then unless you ground real heavy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

of the JRPGs I currently have, I'm trying to think of which one I'll play next and game length is definitely a factor. Right now on the Vita I've got Vagrant Story and that's a short one, so I'm on lock there, but I dunno what to play on PS3/Wii. I've got Spectrobes Origins but that aint on HowLongToBeat cause aint nobody played it but me. When I put in most of what I have, it's a lot of games listed at over 50 hours on that site. Persona 2: EP, Star Ocean 3, Tales of Symphonia, Suikoden III, Xenoblade. I just got no time to dedicate an entire dang month to playing one jrpg. Gimme them short campaigns.

You should play Lightning Returns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

You should play Lightning Returns.
I dont have that yet but I will eventually. When I say what I want to play next I am just talking about what I own right now, which is

Chrono Cross
FF Tactics
Golden Sun
Grandia 1
Legend of Mana
Lost Odyssey
Magical Starsign
Persona 2: EP
Riviera the Promised Land
SMT Nocturne (stuck forever at matador boss)
Spectrobes Origins
Star Ocean 3
Suikoden III
Tales of Symphonia
Vagrant Story (playing on vita)
Xenoblade

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spectrobes Origins has American voice actors shouting YATTA and GOMENOSAI SENSEI because Disney asked them to make an "anime game"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't forget IKU ZE

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

corn in the bible posted:

My first playthrough was about 20 hours, yeah. I didn't bother to 100% everything, though I did extinct a couple of the more common encounters, and it was fun. I don't see how the hell you'd get 60 hours; surely the clock would run out before then unless you ground real heavy

Who knows, I do afk a lot but I can't imagine that being more than 5 hours tops. I just killed a lot of poo poo and used time stop a lot. You can have it go indefinitely pretty easily when killing stuff that give 2 ep a battle.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been slowly playing BoF2 on and off. Just got to escaping Evil Vatican.

So far, my favorite scenario has been Nina's. It's actually pretty sad for a 16-bit jRPG; Nina eagerly embraces a suicide mission, has a reunion with her regretful and dying dad, then loses her sister at the last moment. At least i got to make things a little better by forgiving Nina I. :unsmith:

It seems to me that Nina and Katt are actually good friends, at least in the re-translation. If you talk to Katt at Township when doing Nina's quest, she's the most upset about Nina turning into the Great Bird, and if you die during Nina's trial with Katt in your party, she's very upset when Nina returns, looking like she got the crap beaten out of her. Just a fun thing I haven't seen anyone talk about.

Also, I managed to kill loving Alzheimer's. That is awesome.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of Breath of Fire, I'm playing BoF3 and I want to know when do you stop being kids?

I'm at the seaport with the sailors where you have to battle that guy in order to make him stronger and it's been like ages and still everyone is a kid, when does it end so I can get to the real meat of the game?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Speaking of Breath of Fire, I'm playing BoF3 and I want to know when do you stop being kids?

I'm at the seaport with the sailors where you have to battle that guy in order to make him stronger and it's been like ages and still everyone is a kid, when does it end so I can get to the real meat of the game?

The child section is half the game, but you are close. You have 2 dungeons to go.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I am playing the Witcher trilogy, witcher 1 took me 40 ish hours, witcher 2 took 30 ish hours and I am at 40+ hours on Witcher 3 without the end in sight.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The tournament section with Kid Ryu was awful back in the days before FAQs. Honestly the kid arc is better than the adult though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dont have that yet but I will eventually. When I say what I want to play next I am just talking about what I own right now, which is

:words:

Riviera's not too long. It's almost a kind of lightweight adventure game with JRPG battles rather than a full-blown JRPG: you can't backtrack to areas you've completed and your ability to grind is limited by what items you have available (the levelling system is weird), so the game sets its own pace for you to an extent. Don't try for 100% completion, it's not even possible in a single playthrough anyway (all Sting games are like this, Sting hates completionists).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bleusilences posted:

I am playing the Witcher trilogy, witcher 1 took me 40 ish hours, witcher 2 took 30 ish hours and I am at 40+ hours on Witcher 3 without the end in sight.

You'll probably be at 140+ hours with still no end in sight with that game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

This is true for most JRPGs, which makes it annoying when I see people describe them as "grinding games", especially when the most popular IPs in the genre are generally pretty easy. Even beyond the mainstream, I skipped about a whole dungeon or two's worth of encounters in Radiant Historia and came out fine, and I wasn't even good at that game.

Yeah this is very true and in most cases it's more about reconsidering your plans instead of needing more numbers.

One thing I have learned that I never bothered with when I was younger, is that buffs and sometimes debuffs both rule a lot.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This may be one of those questions that get your angrily typed at on SA, but I really would like an recommendation for a japanese style RPG.

Is there some sort of good master list where I can look around, or a goon approved list or something? I've looked through steam and gently caress me there are a lot of games nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Son of Rodney posted:

This may be one of those questions that get your angrily typed at on SA, but I really would like an recommendation for a japanese style RPG.

Is there some sort of good master list where I can look around, or a goon approved list or something? I've looked through steam and gently caress me there are a lot of games nowadays.

we love anime in the rpg thread.

an japanese style RPG is vague as hell tho. Maybe, A legend of heroes: trails in the sky.