Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Besides getting a free ship the contest is bringing us delicious tears

quote:

To the developers. My screen name has one of your crap-headed letters. I just finished a round where two tier 9 CVs put EVERY GOD drat AIRSTRIKE RIGHT ON MY HEAD while I'm driving a tier 7 cruiser. It got so bad that my team tried to screen me with Yamotos and Iowas. No go, no other ship was attacked except me. NO MORE $ FOR YOU FROM ME! IT WAS A FUN GAME TILL YOU PUT A [edited]BOUNTY ON MY NAME. YOU HAVE MADE THE drat GAME NO FUN AT ALL FOR A FEW PLAYERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

first game in marblehead, pretty decent boat, from what i've seen it's pretty accurate too.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

VietCampo posted:

first game in marblehead, pretty decent boat, from what i've seen it's pretty accurate too.

Whoah, how'd you get it so fast?

Also, yeah, its an Omaha. It better be kickass :P

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Are they already giving them out, or did you have a code or something?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Yayyyyyyyy

Dammit!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if they just gave the Cleveland a similar Citadel to other boats (realism or whatever be damned) I think it would fix like 60% of what makes it so annoying to fight.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Log in tonight, I'm hunting my last letter, an E, when in my 3rd round RNGesus smiled upon me and put two E names on the enemy team. I managed to kill both without having to suicide rush them :woop: :havlat:

And yeah - uploading the pictures somewhere, writing the post & tweaking it was just as much of a pain in the dick as hunting down 1/2 these names. The things I will do for a premium Omaha clone.

Also, can anyone post screenshots of its specs ? Someone in TS mentioned it's the B Omaha hull, which is the multiple torpedo/non-AA one.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Just had a game where a division of Omahas decided to swarm my New York after they almost capped the point. I kept dancing around an island as they kept presenting their broadsides to me. Felt good.

After the first one, you would have thought they'd learn. Their own team was telling them not to.

PS: If anyone needs Ms, there you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lN727HKNk

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 31, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's this about hunting letters :confused:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't understand pubby Omahas and Phoenixes. They love to present the broadside to battleships and cruisers despite having tremendous frontal/rear firepower and not really improving much by broadsiding and they don't respond to getting citadeled except to say USN CLs suck. The only reason the little bastards can survive in the Cleveland is that it's a bit harder to Citadel that thing.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

EDIT: That thread makes my internet cry in pain.

haha yeah I just posted my spelling bee. no pages, just 1600+ image heavy posts on a single infinite scrolling forum. Poor design choice, imo.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
4 games. 4 confederates. 4 high calibers.
It's so easy to score 100,000+ damage with the strike Zuhio. I'll definitely miss it when the next patch happens.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

PirateBob posted:

What's this about hunting letters :confused:

If you're on the EU server you should get used to not having any interesting specials :sigh:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Had a game where me and a random guy were outnumbered something like 3 to 1. We were both beat to poo poo, and far enough away from each other that we couldn't directly help one another with most of our targets. Our team was flipping the gently caress out, mostly at me. The enemy started to cap, things were looking awful, but we pulled together and slapped down everything but a single New York.

As we sailed to go fight it, I congratulated him on playing well. He thanked me. Then we narrowly tag-teamed the New York to death with both of us barely surviving the battle. Between the two of us, we killed 9 ships, and carried our team to a win.

Bless your heart, random ship pubbie. You are way cooler than those other assholes. :911:

People get really really REALLY pissed off at backseat driving and providing advice and commentary to them (which is, of course, why you do it).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is the C hull for the Omaha worth getting, or should I just skip it and pay the "extra" XP for the Cleveland? I'm not convinced the extra AA is worth losing 2 guns AND 2 torpedo tubes that I just got.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

If you're on the EU server you should get used to not having any interesting specials :sigh:

I'm on NA. I'm not seeing anything about hunting letters. Tell me ffs. :v:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Devorum posted:

Is the C hull for the Omaha worth getting, or should I just skip it and pay the "extra" XP for the Cleveland? I'm not convinced the extra AA is worth losing 2 guns AND 2 torpedo tubes that I just got.

I was using it. The guns are on the sides, so if you're playing right and have your nose pointing at them you don't lose anything.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

DurosKlav posted:

For those who have missed it. A Chance to earn a free ship for PAX.

PRIZES FOR ALL:
All players who submit a valid entry, will receive the Marblehead with the special PAX camo, a port slot, and 500,000 Credits!

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:
We will randomly select ten (10) captains who complete the task and award them with a one week of Premium time!

The letters thing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Devorum posted:

When the update comes, you'll get increased range with Hull C as well. The AA is nothing to ignore, but its mostly close range stuff. It'll shred T4-5 planes pretty well though, if the planes fly over your to get after somebody else, and at those tiers every plane killed really bites the CV hard. Still, extra guns and torpedoes are generally more useful all around. If you have the Murmansk, that's the Omaha C Hull, just fyi.

Also...

gently caress PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANES
This was a beautiful match. One of our CVs got nuked right at the start, and the rest of our team murderballed up and headed east on Two Brothers, while a few DDs stalled enemy ships on the west side. We crushed the enemy BBs and CAs that came to stop us, and repelled wave after wave of planes that waited way too long to make their drops. Our Izumo should have been dead at least 3 times, but I guess the enemy CVs were too busy lining up the ~perfect run~ to care that their planes were popping left and right. We managed to take our murderball to the cap, and win.

They still had some planes left, even after all of that. gently caress CVS

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Artless Meat posted:

I was using it. The guns are on the sides, so if you're playing right and have your nose pointing at them you don't lose anything.

Oh, I was thinking it was taking 2 of the forward guns...I suppose that changes things. And I do love my Murmansk.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Night10194 posted:

You know, if they just gave the Cleveland a similar Citadel to other boats (realism or whatever be damned) I think it would fix like 60% of what makes it so annoying to fight.

Making their magazines citadel would go a long way.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

Making their magazines citadel would go a long way.

They are citadels. All magazines on ships are considered citadel, along with the boiler room(s). The issue is overpenning them, or missing, as the magazines also tend to be fairly small.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

They are citadels. All magazines on ships are considered citadel, along with the boiler room(s). The issue is overpenning them, or missing, as the magazines also tend to be fairly small.

I think that is the main issue. The cleveland has so little armor that anything that can shoot at it at that tier just overpens it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

Huh. I was pretty sure only 8" or bigger magazines were citadel.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Pubbie tunnel vision is the best. This Iowa was so focused on shooting our North Carolina that he didn't even notice his ally in a Fuso get sunk in front of him by a combination of my torpedoes and gunfire and a timely citadel from our North Carolina. I saw that he wasn't looking my way so I went straight for him and, well, just watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s3ml5K_xS8

Not included in the video is me dying like a retard afterward because I prematurely popped my repair kit, got lit on fire by the dive bombers and then ran into a 'friendly' torpedo from my team's Atago who decided to be helpful and cover about 30 degrees of the compass with torps aimed vaguely at the Iowa.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

inkwell posted:

Whoah, how'd you get it so fast?

Also, yeah, its an Omaha. It better be kickass :P

Got it from a Pax Prime code. It's good to have friends in seattle i guess.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I need the two E's to complete this and will be on tonight. If anyone needs help I would be happy to team up and assist with the pounding of other shitters in order to get your letters including and not up to firing upon or team killing others to secure your kill.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

Huh. I was pretty sure only 8" or bigger magazines were citadel.

Hmm... testing this, I can't seem to figure out what the gently caress is up with magazines. I couldn't get a magazine citadel against a Myogi, no matter how hard I tried (and yet, I'd get magazine hits...?). The Ibuki's magazine was very easy to citadel, while the Kawachi only got citadeled in its front magazine. I couldn't get citadels on the Cleveland or Omaha by shooting at the magazine, though I never even hit the magazine once on the Omaha. The Cleveland's turrets were more likely to die from dispersed shells than my shells impact the waterline, but I did get one magazine hit for no citadel.

:iiam: but perhaps you're right. If you are, that's pretty dumb.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I am not having very much luck or fun with the New York at all. I thought the Wyoming was a pretty decent little ship, it had passable speed and agility and could pack quite a wallop with AP. The NY just feels worse in every way. Slower to turn, slower turret rotation, slower fire rate; but worst of all, I feel like a good 80%+ of my AP shots overpenetrate and do only 1000 damage no matter where I aim or what range I'm firing at. I find myself frequently switching back to HE during fights to increase the floor of my damage output, but then I have no chance of winning a damage race at all. Any tips on shooting?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

How to get rid of overly adventurous CVs in one simple step: http://gfycat.com/TheseRightBrahmanbull

:feelsgood:

Edit: Jesus christ it's Tirpitztown :stare::

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 31, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
This PAX contest has taught me one simple trick to win at botes.. pick your target, drive straight through everything in your way in order to get there giving no fucks and launching torps the entire way. If you are going to die, be sure you are within spitting distance of some other ship so you can unload one last gently caress YOOOOOU! salvo of torpedoes before you go down in flames.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I am not having very much luck or fun with the New York at all. I thought the Wyoming was a pretty decent little ship, it had passable speed and agility and could pack quite a wallop with AP. The NY just feels worse in every way. Slower to turn, slower turret rotation, slower fire rate; but worst of all, I feel like a good 80%+ of my AP shots overpenetrate and do only 1000 damage no matter where I aim or what range I'm firing at. I find myself frequently switching back to HE during fights to increase the floor of my damage output, but then I have no chance of winning a damage race at all. Any tips on shooting?

Use AP for one, dont use HE as a crutch or you will never really learn how to properly do damage as a battleship.

I wrote a little guide for shooting cruisers around that tier. Its not perfect but its good for building a base.
iChase also just released a captains academy video on aiming. His videos are pretty good so give it a look.

Other than that its just a lot of practice, and a small bit of RNG luck.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 31, 2015

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
These loving people. :shepicide:

That was an almost guaranteed 500 gold in the battleship contest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will never tire of pubbies complaining the Phoenix is a bad boat.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving hell Sporks your account is unfucked and WGNA added you to the clan apologizing for any inconvenience it caused. They really have gone above and beyond since that incident with the "Your clan is the problem.."

SEAMN is officially full, go forth and spread the tidings of good joy shooting your hot loads all over others.

This is the surprising communication from support which just goes to show how over the top nice they have been which worries me..

code:
Thank you for contacting us back.

We have good news for you! (mostly for Sporks)

We were able to resolve the issue on Sporks account and he is now in your clan and it looks like his account did not break anything.

Again we do apologize for the issues your clan has gone through and we really do do all of you have a great time in whatever game (we assume World of Warships) you decide to play.

We also ask that you not be too hard on sporks as it was not his fault.

If you ever do have any other issues, questions or anything of the sort, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

demonR6 posted:

Holy loving hell Sporks your account is unfucked and WGNA added you to the clan apologizing for any inconvenience it caused. They really have gone above and beyond since that incident with the "Your clan is the problem.."

SEAMN is officially full, go forth and spread the tidings of good joy shooting your hot loads all over others.

This is the surprising communication from support which just goes to show how over the top nice they have been which worries me..

code:

We were able to resolve the issue on Sporks account and he is now in your clan and it looks like his account did not break anything.

Again we do apologize for the issues your clan has gone through and we really do do all of you have a great time in whatever game (we assume World of Warships) you decide to play.

If you ever do have any other issues, questions or anything of the sort, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

demonR6 posted:

code:

I would imagine that you mentioning it would be cool to post about it on Twitter worried the hell out of them, specially when they've already made one PR blunder recently.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was pretty clear that I would be more than happy to post it on social media.. now I'm conflicted because I think they did it to save face but at the same time the guy dealing with me has been overly nice. Like creepy nice.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Show us on the FOG avatar where he touched you...

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

demonR6 posted:

code:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also yea, they were helpful to me too thanks~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TSBX posted:

Show us on the FOG avatar where he touched you...

There, on my FOG bunghole.

Also got both my letter E's on back to back matches... last one I ruined a CV going straight at him in my Wickes unloading torps from both sides and nuking him. One thing about this contest it may me super aggressive and I killed some dudes in epic fashion.