Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Would you pay $50-60 (or whatever retail is these days for physical copies) for a disk with literally nothing but an installation program for Steam?

The publisher would say it was outreach. Theoretically there are some PC gamers for who MGS5 would be their first Steam title. I could probably count them on my fingers and maybe toes, but they probably exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Relatedly, is there a link or something to the story behind all the Konami drama? A friend of mine is super excited for Phantom Pain and I'd rather know ahead of time if he's going to be heartbroken.

There was some sort of feud between Kojima and Konami though we don't really know the details of it. The game itself is fine, the feud didn't affect it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I don't know if it's illegal or not, but someone buying a physical copy of a PC game in 2015 has either lovely/no internet, or a bandwidth cap. So I imagine that anyone buying that is going to be pretty loving pissed.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I purchased my first physical copy of a game in like 10 years with Rocksmith 2014 (because I needed the bundled hardware) and it was just a steam installer as well. The included key didn't work, and Steam couldn't help me because it wasn't their problem.

loving video games.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There are people in 2015 who play AAA games but don't have high speed internet?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FreudianSlippers posted:

Australians.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yes. Millions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

VVV Basically this, yeah. "Don't have any/reliable internet? Tough poo poo!"

Ubisoft already showed that outside of a vocal minority gamers don't give a poo poo, so yeah. Other publishers noticed. Welcome to now.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Would you pay $50-60 (or whatever retail is these days for physical copies) for a disk with literally nothing but an installation program for Steam?

Because you're paying $0.05 for a disk and $49.95-$59.95 for a license. Welcome to the wonderful world of software.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FreudianSlippers posted:

When you consider that the FCC reclassified broadband as 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, I don't. I have one quarter of that currently.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Silly Burrito posted:

When you consider that the FCC reclassified broadband as 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, I don't. I have one quarter of that currently.

loving good for the FCC! I'm in England and I'm trying to move house. One of the FIRST questions about the new property I ask is "Do you have, or are in an area that has access to broadband?" When they answer yes I ask their max speed and often times their "broadband" is 3 to 6 meg.

I'm like bitch I'm on 150 meg! Three to six is not broadband any more!

Sorry for the rant. :shobon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The alternative is having a 10 DVD install, since that is how big next gen games are. I'm honestly surprised they even bothered to pack a disk in there, and not just a steam code by itself

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

The alternative is having a 10 DVD install, since that is how big next gen games are. I'm honestly surprised they even bothered to pack a disk in there, and not just a steam code by itself

Why not a flash drive or something?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

If you have a computer that plays current-gen games, you have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive. :confused:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jamesman posted:

If you have a computer that plays current-gen games, you have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive. :confused:

No?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I don't know if it's illegal or not, but someone buying a physical copy of a PC game in 2015 has either lovely/no internet, or a bandwidth cap. So I imagine that anyone buying that is going to be pretty loving pissed.
Only if they don't read the packaging, because I'm pretty sure it will say on it that it requires a Steam account and internet connection to install.

Jamesman posted:

I know lots of people who play modern computer games. I don't think I know anyone with a Blu-Ray drive in their computer.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Sounds like misleading or deceptive conduct to me. Maybe not a criminal offense but certainly against the law (in Australia).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jamesman posted:

It's not uncommon for a build-your-own-PC thread build to have a GTX 970 or better and an external optical drive if any. Thanks to the only Blu-Ray player worth a drat on Windows closing up shop overnight a year or so ago, there's no actual reason to have a BD-ROM drive on a PC.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thatbastardken posted:

Sounds like misleading or deceptive conduct to me. Maybe not a criminal offense but certainly against the law (in Australia).

If the packaging says that you need a Steam account and internet connection (I haven't checked, but they'd be stupid not to say that) then there's no deception.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

there's no actual reason to have a BD-ROM drive on a PC.

Well there would be if people put games on Blu-Ray instead of selling you a Steam installer in a case.

But apparently even that won't work for people if they're building high-end PCs without any sort of drive in them.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

You don't stuff it so much as fill it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jamesman posted:

Well there would be if people put games on Blu-Ray instead of selling you a Steam installer in a case.

But apparently even that won't work for people if they're building high-end PCs without any sort of drive in them.

Fairly high end laptop i bought last year (lenovo flex 15 w/ core i7) has no drive at all. Only usb ports.

So yeah, modern high end computers frequently have no bdrom or even dvdrom any more.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jamesman posted:

This has been common for many years

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hah hilarious conversation about modern day gaming in the funny pictures thread going on here

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hah hilarious conversation about modern day gaming in the funny pictures thread going on here

Hah hilarious pictureless bitching about pictureless posting in the funny pictures thread going on here

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tiggum posted:

If the packaging says that you need a Steam account and internet connection (I haven't checked, but they'd be stupid not to say that) then there's no deception.

The ACL gets interpreted pretty broadly.

quote:

56 Guarantee relating to the supply of goods by description

(1) If:

(a) a person supplies, in trade or commerce, goods by description to a consumer; and

(b) the supply does not occur by way of sale by auction;

there is a guarantee that the goods correspond with the description.

(2) A supply of goods is not prevented from being a supply by description only because, having been exposed for sale or hire, they are selected by the consumer.

(3) If goods are supplied by description as well as by reference to a sample or demonstration model, the guarantees in this section and in section 57 both apply.

If the packaging isn't very upfront about the contents only being a steam installer then there would prima facie be misleading or deceptive conduct. It's unlikely a consumer would be able to prove damage, but the ACCC could potentially take interest.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

This happened with Mortal Kombat X on PC.

Steam/valve used it to trial this new 'streaming download' feature where the game would download as you played it. Even the retail disc version only included 2 gigs of content (which was basically the main menu and intro video), requiring a further 15 gig or so download. There was enough backlash that Steam removed the game for a period of time until they disables the 'steaming download' and made it so you have to download the entire game before you could play it.

We won't know if the MGSV disc has the actual game data or not until you can actually install it.

Copper For Lyfe has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Aug 31, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This entire conversation has made me glad I don't give two shits about Metal Gear Solid V

That whole ordeal sounds like a huge pain in the rear end

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Parrotine posted:

This entire conversation has made me glad I don't give two shits about Metal Gear Solid V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUE0ODP2MeY

Here's a picture:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ignite Memories posted:

For a second I thought that was a huge strip of bacon.

Because in that case, it would be OK.

Parrotine posted:

A Phantom Pain. Which means you have no rear end.

mcbexx has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Why confused?. No CD/DVD/BluRay at all in my gaming computer. All current gen (haswell CPU, GTX 970). I have zero need for one and haven't needed one for years.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jamesman posted:

Except most people don't. Blu-Ray drives never took off on the PC, and to be honest, if you're building a PC these days, there's a good chance you don't have any optical drive in it at all.

Personally, the last time I used an optical drive was to install Windows 7, so approaching six years ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Except most people don't. Blu-Ray drives never took off on the PC, and to be honest, if you're building a PC these days, there's a good chance you don't have any optical drive in it at all.

Personally, the last time I used an optical drive was to install Windows 7, so approaching six years ago.

Yeah, Blu-Ray drives were only really marketable for BD-RW's, and for the cost of the drive and multiple disks you could just get a few HDD's.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

flosofl posted:

Why confused?. No CD/DVD/BluRay at all in my gaming computer. All current gen (haswell CPU, GTX 970). I have zero need for one and haven't needed one for years.

Yeah, I've had my current computer for a year and a half, and I've literally never used the cd/dvd drive that it came with. I use a flash drive if I want to play something on the tv, otherwise it's all cloud-based.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Finally, a voice of reason.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Talk about an "Itasha"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Copper For Lyfe posted:

This happened with Mortal Kombat X on PC.

Steam/valve used it to trial this new 'streaming download' feature where the game would download as you played it. Even the retail disc version only included 2 gigs of content (which was basically the main menu and intro video), requiring a further 15 gig or so download. There was enough backlash that Steam removed the game for a period of time until they disables the 'steaming download' and made it so you have to download the entire game before you could play it.

There are pills you can take if your "steaming downloads" are disabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Here's a picture:

So basically the guy in the back created his own hair on another gentleman using the lost medium of peanut butter? I love postmodern art.

edit:
Just noticed guy in the back may have a honey beard or something. This......this is a sex thing isn't it?

• Locked thread