Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Canned Panda posted:

Spiders like ice cream. Who knew?

YOU RUINED ICE CREAM WITH YOUR BOOBS HANGING ALL OUT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

VideoTapir posted:

1: Stephen Colbert is a busy man

2: They are specifically trying to make Rick and Morty not end up like the Simpsons. I don't think there's going to be a Sideshow Bob.

Yeah they don't want a giant universe of recurring side characters. Hell look at how popular mr meeseeks is and they're not even doing a second episode about him yet.

But then we've got Marty's teacher and principal, and Bird Person, so they're not afraid to use existing characters when they have a good reason I guess?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sideshow Bob's the best though.

But yeah, they can repeat themselves 6 seasons from now when they're out of ideas.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah they don't want a giant universe of recurring side characters. Hell look at how popular mr meeseeks is and they're not even doing a second episode about him yet.

But then we've got Marty's teacher and principal, and Bird Person, so they're not afraid to use existing characters when they have a good reason I guess?

What they haven't done is build more than one episode around an ancillary character. If we get another Mr. Goldenfold episode or another Mr. Poopybutthole episode or another Meeseeks episode...it could very well be good, but that's when I'll start worrying.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Apple needs to stop correcting Morty to Marty. It's the worst.

PostNouveau posted:

Sideshow Bob's the best though.

Yeah...is there a popular opinion that's anti-Bob that I'm not aware of?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ultramiraculous posted:

Maybe if they got a cease-and-desist from Universal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite episode of the show at this moment.

I love how they keep including all this stuff that's peppered through the history of Rick and Morty, like the Morty car thing from Justin's audition.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
That was so loving good and possibly my favorite episode so far. "Turn into a car, Morty!"

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Morty's "Oh my God" in response to his explanation is one of my fav things.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah it's dumb. Plus it makes no sense because Morty is a real name too Apple! gently caress you Apple and how you automatically capitalize Apple

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Poor Summer...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My phone corrects it to MORTY in all caps. Maybe it just likes to scream it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

What wicked webs we un-weave.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

VideoTapir posted:

1: Stephen Colbert is a busy man

2: They are specifically trying to make Rick and Morty not end up like the Simpsons. I don't think there's going to be a Sideshow Bob.

1: Stephen Colbert is a busy man who specifically carved out some time to do this episode of the show.

2: Having a character from a previous episode return to complete his storyline/arc does not make the character Sideshow Bob.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His character arc is complete though. He accepted his life as it stands. Just like we have.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Did they Ellen McLain to voice the car?

Sadly it appears not.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

His character arc is complete though. He accepted his life as it stands. Just like we have.

Plus, wouldn't he already dead by the time the new episode starts? Time passes pretty quickly in a microverse.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
The movie theater at the beginning was Egan Cinema, which I bet is a reference to SF author Greg Egan (who wrote about creating a fully self sustaining, logically coherent miniverse inside a Virtual Reality microverse inside the actual universe).

Also, glad they didn't do any meta joke about how people use some GoobleBox equivalent in Rick's universe - we're on top, and Rick is the closest thing to a God/Creator there is. Reminds me of the sewer mutant joke from Futurama - "How do you know your society isn't a sewer for some other society?" "Nope, we're on top - sunlight and everything."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

Plus, wouldn't he already dead by the time the new episode starts? Time passes pretty quickly in a microverse.

Zeek and Rick cobbled together a universe-spanning transporter out of glowy rocks. Zeek knows how to do that now. He could pretty easily transport out of the microverse if he chose to do so.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode and an explanation for why Rick needs to code his cry for help into a song instead of simply directly telling Morty and Summer to go to the garage and pull his body out of the tank.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

johntfs posted:

Zeek and Rick cobbled together a universe-spanning transporter out of glowy rocks. Zeek knows how to do that now. He could pretty easily transport out of the microverse if he chose to do so.

If you knew the entire world was a lie would you leave literally everything that you've ever known? Aside from killing rick what possible goal could he ever achieve?

[e] Also I was totally expecting our universe to be a battery too and something like exercise bikes were our crank.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 31, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

This lead me to a pilot for Dog World that Roiland cooked up for a potential Adult Swim show but then got too busy and shelved. Features the Rick and Morty theme song way and of course it's just storyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npu3VnYs3IA

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

DrManiac posted:

[e] Also I was totally expecting our universe to be a battery too and something like exercise bikes were our crank.

Nah that would have been a bit too on the nose for this show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Just Offscreen posted:

Nah that would have been a bit too on the nose for this show.

Yeah, we have to deal with the existential horror that we have no purpose, even if that purpose were to power someone's car battery. "Yeah, welcome to the club, Pal."

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

readingatwork posted:

Rick turned off the time dilation in the miniverse or something. When he goes in, the president has apparently talked to Rick in the past, and when he gets out the whole Summer b-plot with the spider-human treaty has happened in the interval. Plus if time was always accelerated then the battery would only be good for two hours before it went into heat death.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Maybe our universe IS someone elses battery but they are just using a different planet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

YOU RUINED ICE CREAM WITH YOUR BOOBS HANGING ALL OUT!

Yes! I love that at the end of the day, he's still a curmudgeonly old fart who blames the world's big problems on how These Kids Today dress. And I think we can all agree that even with peace between mankind and giant telepathic spides, flies in the ice cream are a big deal.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

DrManiac posted:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

That whole idea in this episode is from the end of this clip, isn't it?

Also, episode owned. Still kinda like the 1st ep of season 2 a bit more, since a clip from it convinced me to watch this show originally, but my 2nd fav episode ain't bad at all.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I just binged through this and it's amazing. But what astounds me the most is the fact that it actually has continuity. When Morty brings up the fact that the dead versions of himself in the current dimension are buried outside from a previous episode, I thought "drat, his real parents are still out there, fighting for their lives."

And when Mr. PoopyButthole almost died, I thought "drat, all those great episodes with him and this is how he goes out, huh?"

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Digiwizzard posted:

Rick turned off the time dilation in the miniverse or something. When he goes in, the president has apparently talked to Rick in the past, and when he gets out the whole Summer b-plot with the spider-human treaty has happened in the interval. Plus if time was always accelerated then the battery would only be good for two hours before it went into heat death.

I think the lower verses had time dilation but not Rick's engine, which is why it's only brought up for the first time by the president and allows for enough time to pass for Forest Marty to occur.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Employee health plan guy is Morty's classmate, and is a twin?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Don't get me wrong, I laughed pretty hard at car-Morty's resigned look, but does anyone else feel like the "Morty, turn into a car" joke would have been funnier if they didn't actually show it happening in the stinger (or in future episodes)?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I know it was only the previous episode but I got a kick out of Rick including a snake-holster in the leg of his woodmech.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kalensc posted:

I think the lower verses had time dilation but not Rick's engine, which is why it's only brought up for the first time by the president and allows for enough time to pass for Forest Marty to occur.

There must be some dilation, since Rick waited until a planet with intelligent life on it formed inside his microverse. So maybe it's something you can turn on and off. Wouldn't want the entire race to go extinct due to the sun expanding while you're parked!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, who was Alan Tudyk?

The president of Planet Rick's Car Battery.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FireWorksWell posted:

Don't get me wrong, I laughed pretty hard at car-Morty's resigned look, but does anyone else feel like the "Morty, turn into a car" joke would have been funnier if they didn't actually show it happening in the stinger (or in future episodes)?

Chekhov's Gun, man. Don't introduce elements if you don't intend to use them.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Mortycar! That was awesome since I had just listened to that audition for the first time that day by random coincidence.

Brightman posted:

This lead me to a pilot for Dog World that Roiland cooked up for a potential Adult Swim show but then got too busy and shelved. Features the Rick and Morty theme song way and of course it's just storyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npu3VnYs3IA

Hah, the siblings are named Peter, Edmund, and Susan.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

kalensc posted:

The joke is that the final piece of the puzzle is figuring out how to artificially accelerate the miniature universe's time so you can get your target species into the sweet spot of liberal democracy. From there all you have to do is exploit all their surplus labour electricity generated by their slavery free market economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Call me a causality nerd if you must, but I don't think how much I laughed at the "Morty, turn into a car" joke was affected by what happened in the stinger.

• Locked thread