Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

That's where Bauer's supposed to go all Denzel and call John Goodman to bring him enough to save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jon Do posted:

That's where Bauer's supposed to go all Denzel and call John Goodman to bring him enough to save the world.

*tense, orchestral arrangement of "Feelin' Alright" swells*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trailer for MTV's fantasy foray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR8b1SpoSc

Production values look alright. All I know about the books is that they're supposed to be loving terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Production values look alright. All I know about the books is that they're supposed to be loving terrible.

From what I know they're hackey LOTR ripoffs that the guy admits he was poo poo at writing when he started.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

zoux posted:

I've not heard of this series, but that trailer has me interested. High fantasy in a post-apocalyptic world? Is that essentially the gist?

Why are the books bad?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

From what I know they're hackey LOTR ripoffs that the guy admits he was poo poo at writing when he started.

Which is funny because he's still coming out with those books.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And only the first one was a LotR ripoff. The rest of the series is a lot different (yes it has 'elves' and 'dwarves' but so do a lot of other stories).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I heard it got better as it went along once the guy got past the whole LOTR-ripoff thing. No idea how true that is, but I don't think they have a bad reputation like, say, Sword of Truth.

I really like what I've seen of the show. It looks pretty impressive for TV just in terms of art design and production value.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat, Favreu, season 12 of Revolution is looking pretty fuckin' dope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shannara was only a LOTR clone for the first book. The second book started to have it's own identity (which is where this show is apparently starting). The main issue with the books is that there are way too many of them, and I just completely lost interest. But while they were good, they were pretty drat good. So if each season equals a book, I wouldn't start to lose interest until like season 10 or 12 or something. Which it probably won't get anyway, so I'm in.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I've not heard of this series, but that trailer has me interested. High fantasy in a post-apocalyptic world? Is that essentially the gist?

Kind of. (super high-level spoiler-y description of the world, but just in case) For most of the books it's just a background setting (magic used to be everywhere, magic disappeared, modern times happen, apocalypse comes, magic comes back), and is mainly seen through the wreckage of the former world. It's rarely a plot point, though it does happen here and there.

My favorite book in the series involves (plot description of book...I want to say 9) our characters (standard fantasy group) coming across an old A.I. that reactivates and tries killing them with futuristic technology. Fun spin on both sci-fi and fantasy, to me.

I'll be watching, but I'm not expecting prestige drama. Looks like fun fantasy, though, like the books were.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully it lasts longer than Legend of the Seeker.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

The trailer and description make it sound like they just threw as many fantasy tropes as possible in a blender. On the plus side, it has Manu Bennett in it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

The trailer and description make it sound like they just threw as many fantasy tropes as possible in a blender. On the plus side, it has Manu Bennett in it.

It's just being true to the material.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

GreenNight posted:

Legend of the Seeker lasted exactly 43 episodes longer than it had any right to.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Why are you saying this as though this is somehow different from literally every popular YA series and probably most of the unpopular ones from like the last decade?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait, what YA series have dwarves and elves fighting Skynet?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait, what YA series have dwarves and elves fighting Skynet?

Highly highly doubt the series will shows this unless we get to season 6+

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Wizard's First Rule was the only good book in the 3-4 I somehow read. How many times do you have to 'save' Kahlan from the author (not) writing in a rape, before you're tipping your fedora and calling her M'Mother Confessor? Also retarded BDSM torture nuns.

Technically it had the potential to be a better show. Technically. I saw some of it and never bothered to watch the whole thing, it seemed terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not saying the books were any good past the first couple, but the show was fun in a Hercules/Xena sort of way.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jon Do posted:

Wizard's First Rule was the only good book in the 3-4 I somehow read. How many times do you have to 'save' Kahlan from the author (not) writing in a rape, before you're tipping your fedora and calling her M'Mother Confessor? Also retarded BDSM torture nuns.

Technically it had the potential to be a better show. Technically. I saw some of it and never bothered to watch the whole thing, it seemed terrible.
I never read the books but your post basically just told me the show was infinitely better than the books. And the show had its own set of problems but GreenNight is right, it did the Hercules/Xena thing really well which is more than most of us could ask for.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Who cares about the rampant rape and misogyny, literally a third of the first book was about "very dangerous mud people".

And before you counter with "well maybe he didn't mean it that way..." he's a big follower of Objectivism. He knew exactly what he was writing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know it's called the Sword of Truth because it literally says truth on the handle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
in the final book they put all the MOOCHERS and LEECHES and LIBERALS that were ruining their fantasy land into a portal to a hellish nightmare world which is *dun dun dun* OUR WORLD

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jon Do posted:

Believe it or not they got even worse! So, so much worse.

The series climaxed with a soccer riot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

IRQ posted:

Believe it or not they got even worse! So, so much worse.

The series climaxed with a soccer riot.

Isn't that how we all climax.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

corn in the bible posted:

in the final book they put all the MOOCHERS and LEECHES and LIBERALS that were ruining their fantasy land into a portal to a hellish nightmare world which is *dun dun dun* OUR WORLD

gently caress you. I refuse to believe anyone good enough to get published is bad enough to write that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress you. I refuse to believe anyone good enough to get published is bad enough to write that.

Possibly not as a first book but as the 15th or whatever of a best selling series? Sure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

we live in an amazing world where anything is possible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

dude Crooked Little Vein got published

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

Glenn Beck has written a few books last I checked.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

corn in the bible posted:

we live in an amazing world where anything is possible

Except season 4 of Hannibal

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

It was actually everyone who wasn't magical, primarily, but also people who wanted a fair world without magic people.

The author is a randroid shitlord, that should make corn in the bible's statement make a bit more sense.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_PilHB8f9c

Jesus, you weren't kidding.

I... actually want to see this.

This was amazing. "Shoot the base of the fire, where its brains are!"

Super psyched about it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

Glenn Beck has written a few books last I checked.

Oh God, I actually saw one of his fiction books in the supermarket a year ago -- Agenda 21 -- and laughed out loud reading the jacket.

Some copywriter at the house that published Agenda 21 actually posted:

A postapocalyptic thriller from #1 bestselling author Glenn Beck.

“I was just a baby when we were relocated and I don’t remember much. Everybody has that black hole at the beginning of their life. That time you can’t remember. Your first step. Your first taste of table food. My real memories begin in our assigned living area in Compound 14.”

Just a generation ago, this place was called America. Now, after the worldwide implementation of a UN-led program called Agenda 21, it’s simply known as “the Republic.” There is no president. No Congress. No Supreme Court. No freedom.

There are only the Authorities.

Citizens have two primary goals in the new Republic: to create clean energy and to create new human life. Those who cannot do either are of no use to society. This bleak and barren existence is all that eighteen-year-old Emmeline has ever known. She dutifully walks her energy board daily and accepts all male pairings assigned to her by the Authorities. Like most citizens, she keeps her head down and her eyes closed.

Until the day they come for her mother.

“You save what you think you’re going to lose.”

Woken up to the harsh reality of her life and her family’s future inside the Republic, Emmeline begins to search for the truth. Why are all citizens confined to ubiquitous concrete living spaces? Why are Compounds guarded by Gatekeepers who track all movements? Why are food, water and energy rationed so strictly? And, most important, why are babies taken from their mothers at birth? As Emmeline begins to understand the true objectives of Agenda 21 she realizes that she is up against far more than she ever thought. With the Authorities closing in, and nowhere to run, Emmeline embarks on an audacious plan to save her family and expose the Republic—but is she already too late?

I honestly would've bought it for laughs if I thought I was going to read the whole thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

You rang?

Check out the book forums thread on his particular brand of insanity. The dude looooooves some Ayn Rand.

EDIT: And the poster above correctly pinpointed the best of the Shannara books. Its up and down in quality, but it had a progressively bonkers and melo-dramatic darkness as it went along (all the way to the loving Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse boss battles.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: And the poster above correctly pinpointed the best of the Shannara books. Its up and down in quality, but it had a progressively bonkers and melo-dramatic darkness as it went along (all the way to the loving Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse boss battles.

I remember enjoying the poo poo out of those parts (and the build-up to them) when I was a kid. He really grabbed that distilled essence of 'Trek to Mt. Doom' foreboding/anticipation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You wanna get nuts? ALL RIGHT, LET'S GET NUTS

quote:

This is the heart of the "Fundamental Question of Ethics" that appears at the very start of the Chronicles, which can be rephrased as "Do one's actions in dreams have any real significance?" Covenant's despicable act early in the first book (the rape of a young woman who befriends him when he first arrives in the Land) has consequences throughout the story and can be seen as an attempt to test this theory. The First Chronicles sees the reality of the Land eventually 'proven' to Covenant; another interpretation of Covenant's eventual decision to aid the Land is the realization that, whether the Land is real or not, it matters to him.

Covenant attempts to (dis)prove the reality of the Land several times in the First and Second Chronicles – for instance, growing a beard (after choosing to keep his pen knife, the only object he brings with him apart from his clothes); however, this fails when he inevitably shaves his beard. Another test of the reality of the Land is the fact that Covenant enters the Land after sustaining damage (e.g. collapsing on asphalt as he is about to be hit by a car in the first book, bashing his head on a coffee table corner in the second, and a series of incidents at the start of the third including cutting his gums on razor blades hidden in bread buns, falling down a stony hill, and sucking snake poison from the wound of a young girl) but he is always returned to the same state that he entered shortly before leaving, such as the wound on his forehead that he sustains bashing it on a coffee table before entering the Land is healed, only to be wounded again after being attacked with a staff by Hile Troy (who claims to be another traveler from the "real" world to the Land.)

Another major theme is the psychological symbolism of the Land. It very clearly parallels Covenant's own psyche: he is filled with self-hatred, manifested in the Land as the Despiser; he is ravaged by a corrupting disease that eats away at him, similarly to the Illearth Stone, and so forth. Covenant is forced to decide whether the fundamental health and beauty of the Land is worth struggling to preserve, whether it is "real" or not, mirroring the choice he must make in his own life. In this way the fantasy genre allows the author to explore Covenant's inner workings in a very effective way.

After his return to our world, Covenant resumes his writing, publishing for the first time in years. Although he will never be able to return to the life he had before contracting leprosy, he seems to have come to terms with his condition and the events that transpired in the Land.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, I tried to read those books, upon someone's reccomendation. They warned me about that part, and said as much about the repercussions and morality.

They still creeped me the gently caress out. I don't even remember, but there were multiple other creepy moments. IIRC, he falls in love with his rape victim's daughter (mother?) or something and there's this awkward period where she doesn't know... and likes him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stephen Donaldson likes rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

precision posted:

You wanna get nuts? ALL RIGHT, LET'S GET NUTS

I have those books too. Thomas Convenant the Unbeliever.

I'm surprised David Eddings hasn't been made into anything yet since he is dead and all.

• Locked thread