Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BattleMaster posted:

Clearly ethernet cables and TVs are professional equipment only to be handled by licensed professionals such as Geek Squad or Apple Store Geniuses.

thexerox123 posted:

Have you ever been to a LAN party? It's not exactly rocket science system linking xbox consoles.

If you have 8-16 people getting together to play video games, chances are a few of them will have relatively portable TVs and ethernet cables.

Getting together that many people and shlepping enough TVs and cables around to set poo poo up is not "pretty easy" compared to pretty much every other multiplayer solution on consoles you pedantic assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No NOE PR today, but Sin & Punishment, Runbow and Gunman Clive HD Collection are all confirmed for this week.

NA is getting Vs. Excitebike on the Wii U VC today, too - it's the Famicom Disk System version of the game and includes simultaneous multiplayer, read/write saves for the track editor and some other touch-ups but it's not hugely different from the NES version.

Turns out there is PR, just late I guess:

Hope y'all are ready are to dunk your gamepad in water to find the hidden message.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 3):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Runbow - €13.99 / £10.99 or €11.89/£9.34 if you downloaded the Nindies@Home demo
    Gunman Clive HD Collection - €3.99 / £3.59
    Zombie Defense - €7.99 / £7.19
b]WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE[/b]
    Sin & Punishment - €9.99 / £8.99
    StarTropics - €4.99 / £4.49
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until September 3
    Rayman Legends (Wii U) - €11.99 / £9.49 from September 3-10
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until September 17
    99moves (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until September 17
    Rock Zombie (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until September 17
    Nevr Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £8.59 from September 3-17

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Little Battlers eXperience - €39.99 / £34.99 (September 4)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Proun+ - €3.99 / £2.39 (permanent price reduction)
    Proun+ (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Senran Kagura 2: Waist-Deep - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 until September 3
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until September 3
    Hotel Transylvania (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.49 until September 3
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.59 / £4.99 until September 3
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.59 / £4.99 until September 3
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until September 3
    Ryman Origins (3DS) - €5.99 / £5.39 from September 3-10
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until September 17
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS) - €5.20 / £4.70 from September 3-24
    Witch & Hero (3DS) - €1.99 / £1.69 from September 3-24
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends September 30.

^^thanks dude above me! Nintendo UK is on holiday so I figured there wouldn't be a full schedule update today.

Rayman sucks on 3DS, don't waste your money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did they ever release Rayman 2 on the eShop? I hear that port is fine at least, but I haven't seen any retail copy in the wild in years.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Saoshyant posted:

Did they ever release Rayman 2 on the eShop? I hear that port is fine at least, but I haven't seen any retail copy in the wild in years.
It did inedded, but under the Title 'Rayman 3D'
The port plays fine with the occasional graphical bug but bear in mind the game was clearly not designed with stereoscopic 3D in mind.

The game itself has aged really poorly though, and if you're going for 100% there's a level early on that has collectables that are hidden away in a section only accessible via another level much later in the game. This is the only example of levels linking together in the whole game and it drove me insane.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of September 3):

^^thanks dude above me! Nintendo UK is on holiday so I figured there wouldn't be a full schedule update today.

Rayman sucks on 3DS, don't waste your money.

That's sad to hear. Origins is great other platforms.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Getting together that many people and shlepping enough TVs and cables around to set poo poo up is not "pretty easy" compared to pretty much every other multiplayer solution on consoles you pedantic assholes

We are talking about "the biggest" local multiplayer... getting together a bunch of people will be just as hard either way. And setting up TVs and cables is not difficult unless you are one of those people from infomercials who are completely baffled by simple everyday tasks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

thexerox123 posted:

We are talking about "the biggest" local multiplayer... getting together a bunch of people will be just as hard either way. And setting up TVs and cables is not difficult unless you are one of those people from infomercials who are completely baffled by simple everyday tasks.
The difficulty is in getting the tvs etc to one location, not setting them up. Holy poo poo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

The difficulty is in getting the tvs etc to one location, not setting them up. Holy poo poo.

As I already said before, if you're getting that many people together, odds are some of them can do it, no problem. Like... you guys seriously are acting like LAN parties are a huge amount of effort/logistics. when they really aren't most of the time.

Even easier if the house that is hosting it already has a second TV.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

As I already said before, if you're getting that many people together, odds are some of them can do it, no problem. Like... you guys seriously are acting like LAN parties are a huge amount of effort/logistics. when they really aren't most of the time.

"Couch multiplayer" is actually a pretty established term that specifically excludes LAN play.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

thexerox123 posted:

You are being like Jivjov levels of pedantic here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mycot posted:

:(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mycot posted:

I'm not the one who started splitting hairs on what constitutes "pretty easy" when it's not even relevant to the point I was originally making.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

thexerox123 posted:

Even easier if the house that is hosting it already has a second TV.

quote:

"Hey man you wanna move your big-rear end TV to my place for a LAN party?"

"Sure! I can get my 50" TV off my wall and into my tiny car and I'll be over in no time! You want me to bring my Xbox too?"

"You know it!"

Is that really an exchange that would happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And I haven't even weighed in on the Couch Multiplayer debate!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Is that really an exchange that would happen.

thexerox123 posted:

If you have 8-16 people getting together to play video games, chances are a few of them will have relatively portable TVs and ethernet cables.

Like, seriously, have you people never been to a LAN party

Zat posted:

"Couch multiplayer" is actually a pretty established term that specifically excludes LAN play.

Source? Doing a search for it, I could only find evidence that it just doesn't mean internet play.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 31, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

no because I wasn't 20 years old in the 90s

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

get with the times old man, everyone's got big rear end TVs and we're all used to online multiplayer

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

get with the times old man, everyone's got big rear end TVs and we're all used to online multiplayer

I don't know why anyone plays Mario Kart 8 online when they could just get 8 gamecubes and play 16 player Double Dash LAN

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm trying to think of the logistics of what you'd need for a 16-man LAN party these days and I'm coming up with 8 free power sockets, one for each TV and one for each console and 16 controllers and I'm trying and failing to understand how setting all of that up is easier/just as easy as having one TV, one Wii U, 4 wii remotes and 4 classic controllers/nunchuks and the gamepad.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm trying to think of the logistics of what you'd need for a 16-man LAN party these days and I'm coming up with 8 free power sockets, one for each TV and one for each console and 16 controllers and I'm trying and failing to understand how setting all of that up is easier/just as easy as having one TV, one Wii U, 4 wii remotes and 4 classic controllers/nunchuks and the gamepad.

Who said it was easier/just as easy? Nobody was asserting that.

It doesn't matter how easy it was, because my only point was that their claim that it's the biggest local multiplayer struck me as funny.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Source? Doing a search for it, I could only find evidence that it just doesn't mean internet play.

Well, I can't really find any actually reference-quality sources but that's how the term has been used. Local multiplayer without needing multiple consoles/computers/TVs.

Here's a random Wikipedia article which uses it in that sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay#Couch_co-op_.26_online_co-op_modes

thexerox123 posted:

Who said it was easier/just as easy? Nobody was asserting that.

It doesn't matter how easy it was, because my only point was that their claim that it's the biggest local multiplayer struck me as funny.

It still said "biggest couch-multiplayer experience" and you're pretty dense if you think it includes LAN games.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 31, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know why anyone plays Mario Kart 8 online when they could just get 8 gamecubes and play 16 player Double Dash LAN

Then why is Nintendo bragging about having the biggest couch multiplayer?

Also, the games I'm talking about had 16-player online multiplayer, too. LAN parties are just way more fun.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

thexerox123 posted:

Then why is Nintendo bragging about having the biggest couch multiplayer?

Because they want to sell this game.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zat posted:

Well, I can't really find any actually reference-quality sources but that's how the term has been used. Local multiplayer without needing multiple consoles/computers/TVs.

Here's a random Wikipedia article which uses it in that sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay#Couch_co-op_.26_online_co-op_modes

It still said "biggest couch-multiplayer experience" and you're pretty dense if you think it includes LAN games.

The link that you posted there equated couch multiplayer with local. Do you think local multiplayer excludes LAN games?

Nintendo probably did mean it that way, but that phrase definitely does not have a clear-cut meaning.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'd rather have the 3DS pocket discussion again

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

At least there's no argument on what a couch is.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

The link that you posted there equated couch multiplayer with local. Do you think local multiplayer excludes LAN games?

Nintendo probably did mean it that way, but that phrase definitely does not have a clear-cut meaning.

Yes, I think couch multiplayer is a sub-category of local multiplayer and excludes LAN games. I guess it can be misunderstood but there isn't anything inherently wrong about Nintendo's ad or whatever it was.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Where can I buy an accessory for my 3DS that will let me clip it to my belt.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Where can I buy an accessory for my 3DS that will let me clip it to my belt.

I tried to post this right when the thread closed... you've probably found your own answer in the intervening half a day, but here's one option at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gomadic-Horizontal-Carrying-Nintendo-Integrated-Optional/dp/B0055E7RVQ

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought Excitebike 3DS as soon as I learned of it and thought that it was quite well done, but I may lay out another $5 for Vs. on the Wii U. I think that it has enough differences that it deserves it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Any more word on SmileBASIC's Western release?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Any more word on SmileBASIC's Western release?
They delayed it from "Spring" to "Sometime in 2015" back in May to make sure they used the latest release of SmileBASIC as the base for the English version. No real news since then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've finally stopped loving around with the JP version and are working on the international version in earnest but I think it's still a couple months out.

Protect Me Knight 2 is still coming, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Best Buy will be doing 10% off eShop cards from September 6-12.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EU Club Nintendo update: Club Nintendo Goodbye Coin, 2000 Stars: http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/products/club-nintendo-goodbye-coin-493

EDIT: they said it'll be the last item they add to the catalogue

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:byewhore:

But on a serious note, if any of you has like 500 stars left and don't care for anything available, I'll trade you a couple of Steam games for one of them 3DS themes. I ran out of stars with the last soundtrack they put in, too much of a sucker for those.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe now you'll recognize Scandinavia as a part of Europe fuckers

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone else having a hard time accessing the stars catalogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone else having a hard time accessing the stars catalogue?

Now that it's explicit that nothing else will be added, everyone is trying to get in to redeem their stars. Same thing happened when the final batch of rewards went up on the U.S. Club.