Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, all you need is a helmet for autocross and it's probably a better idea for your DD than doing track days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GEMorris posted:

Do you also need one for autocross?

Does having the PRHT change anything for any of these situations?

Nah, you're fine.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My 2003 NB is randomly losing power, almost like one or two cylinders are dropping out. When this happens it will continue until I clutch in, at which point the revs will drop down to ~500rpm for a second or two before returning to idle and power returns. Does this sound like bad coil packs?

Car has ~170K on it, and original ignition coils. I did the plugs less than 10K ago and they looked good. The power loss doesn't seem to get worse at WOT so I'm ruling out fuel filter or pump problems for now. Any guesses?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

My 2003 NB is randomly losing power, almost like one or two cylinders are dropping out. When this happens it will continue until I clutch in, at which point the revs will drop down to ~500rpm for a second or two before returning to idle and power returns. Does this sound like bad coil packs?

Car has ~170K on it, and original ignition coils. I did the plugs less than 10K ago and they looked good. The power loss doesn't seem to get worse at WOT so I'm ruling out fuel filter or pump problems for now. Any guesses?

Before throwing parts at it, check your grounds. I chased a random drop in power for a long time before replacing the ground here and its been 100% since.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
His car doesn't have a ground there. The main ones are next to the throttle body and aft of the exhaust header on the frame rail. Does the tach drop down as well when it does it? If so it may be the cam sensor.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

FatCow posted:

His car doesn't have a ground there. The main ones are next to the throttle body and aft of the exhaust header on the frame rail. Does the tach drop down as well when it does it? If so it may be the cam sensor.

The tach doesn't drop unless I clutch in and remove load and throttle from the motor, if that makes any sense. It'll dip all the way to 500rpm or so and then recover and act fine.

My cam sensor was replaced a couple of years ago, and the symptoms were different. (Hot motor would die at idle and wouldn't restart until it cooled down.)

I'll check my grounds in any case.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phone posted:

You need a roll bar.

I checked with the track.

me posted:

I want to check to see if my car is eligible. I have a 2013 Miata soft top. It doesn't have any aftermarket roll bar, just what came on from the factory. Should that car be fine for HPDE and Lapping?

Palmer motorsports park posted:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Palmer Motorsports Park. a 2013 Miata is fine for our HPDE or Lapping Day program.

So for anyone wondering what's allowed at Palmer motorsports park, that new track between Worcester and Springfield Massachusetts, there you go.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've never heard anything about the NC not having a functional factory rollbar. Is that a thing?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
SCCA requires a "real" roll bar for soft top. The PRHT has no restriction, which is weird because it's not the hard top supporting the weight. Same with the earlier generations. If you don't have a hard top you need a roll bar. If you have a hard top you don't.

I could be wrong but I think I've read somewhere that the factory roll hoops on the NC don't meet SCCA's roll bar requirements.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some ERW tubing bent into a U that is 6" lower than your head isn't adequate roll over protection. If you have a hard top, you still need a roll bar because a 50lb piece of fiberglass isn't exactly structural.

That said, go nuts. I'm sure roll over protection is only needed if you plan on crashing.

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 31, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm not actually talking about protecting the driver, I'm talking about complying with track/SCCA regulations. Of course a fiberglass hard top isn't going to be adequate rollover protection. But it does satisfy the rollover protection requirements for the regulations.

If the track is willing to let me out there with the factory roll hoops than I'm willing to take the risk.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

GutBomb posted:

If the track is willing to let me out there with the factory roll hoops than I'm willing to take the risk.

You're dumb as gently caress. Have fun dying when the car gets away from you, slides into the grass at 25mph, hooks, and flops over on its roof. I've been doing this for a decade and I've seen that happen over and over. Thankfully no HPDE groups on the west coast are pants-on-head retarded enough to let idiots like you track their convertibles without real rollover protection, so nobody out here dies from rollovers.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Savington posted:

You're dumb as gently caress. Have fun dying when the car gets away from you, slides into the grass at 25mph, hooks, and flops over on its roof. I've been doing this for a decade and I've seen that happen over and over. Thankfully no HPDE groups on the west coast are pants-on-head retarded enough to let idiots like you track their convertibles without real rollover protection, so nobody out here dies from rollovers.

I suppose people on motorcycles get a similar response from you? Relax. I'll be fine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is a real chicken and egg scenario because if someone gets hurt in a roll over scenario on track, the track gets sued into oblivion and closes for everyone.

So thanks in advance for assuming all of the risk for everyone who wants or wanted to visit that track. :v:

E: motorcycle track days put down sandbags and barriers to protect the riders from the track barriers that are not body friendly. If you're riding on the track, you're in full leathers and whatnot so it isn't analogous.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

don't listen to these fuckos just live your life gutbomb as short as it may be

i would drive my miata down there if I had time or extra money right now, it's only a couple hours.. how much are you paying for the day?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ethanol posted:

don't listen to these fuckos just live your life gutbomb as short as it may be

i would drive my miata down there if I had time or extra money right now, it's only a couple hours.. how much are you paying for the day?

$495. It's a bit much but it's instruction the first half of the day and just lapping the 2nd half. In total I'll be spending more because I'm going to change the brakes first and I need to buy some wheels/tires and a helmet.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I do wish the stock rollbars on the NC were higher, even if they still weren't legit enough for racing. My head is almost above the rollbar and I've been considering the seat lowering mod. The Z4 had much higher stock rollbars.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
For $495 you could put a roll bar in your car.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

GutBomb posted:

Relax. I'll be fine.

You might not be, but you didn't come here looking for actual advice. You came here for yes-men to tell you that it's totally OK to take unnecessary and completely avoidable risks with your own life. I've been doing what you want to do for a very long time, and I'm telling you that you're an idiot. I'm telling you this less for your own well-being (because it's clear you won't listen anyway), and more for the well-being of others who might read this in the future and think that it's OK to emulate your astounding stupidity.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

does anybody have pictures of stock miata rollovers, like do the ubars just pancake or what. My fear because I don't track at all is that someday I will get tboned and the car will flip over or some poo poo, completely outside of my control

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Are there any good, safe, removable rollbars for an NC? Or does wanting to safely track day a car require you to dedicate the car to tracking? I've read enough about the dangers of rollbars without a helmet that I wouldn't want one in my daily.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only really decent roll bar for the NC is the Blackbird Fabworx one. It's significantly easier to just have a dedicated car.

For where you're at, I'd just advise you to autocross and get to know the car. Your first few track days have a low probability of going terribly wrong, but if you want to see if you like it and want to pursue throwing money into the fire, there's always the option of renting a seat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I suppose people on motorcycles get a similar response from you? Relax. I'll be fine.

Sorry but you are being an idiot. Savington is right, it doesn't take much to roll your Miata at a track, all it takes is for you to lose control when you start feeling like you're Michael Schumacher, spin out and hit the grass sideways and you WILL roll over. Saying you're willing to take that risk makes you sound like a moron, and you have a right to be a moron if you want, just don't expect to get any support in this forum.

[e] Tracking a DD is a dumb idea anyway.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 31, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I was asking in general. Personally I'm just going to auto-x in STR to learn the car. I'm not yet at the point where I can afford a dedicated track toy.

I probably will do the lower seat mod just to make my wife happy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Savington posted:

You might not be, but you didn't come here looking for actual advice. You came here for yes-men to tell you that it's totally OK to take unnecessary and completely avoidable risks with your own life. I've been doing what you want to do for a very long time, and I'm telling you that you're an idiot. I'm telling you this less for your own well-being (because it's clear you won't listen anyway), and more for the well-being of others who might read this in the future and think that it's OK to emulate your astounding stupidity.

I appreciate your interpretation of my intentions but they are incorrect. I emailed the track, didn't get an answer for a few days, so I asked the thread what they thought. Once I got a response from the track I updated the thread. That's it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The accident type that Savington was describing is almost comical, too. It slowly tips over and everything. Since humans are dumb as rocks, people will put out their hand(s) to prevent the car from rolling over and will wind up with massive trauma to their hand/arm/ego.

GEMorris: next two autox are 9/27 at NCCAR and 10/3 + 4 at Zmax in Charlotte for the statewide championships.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

I appreciate your interpretation of my intentions but they are incorrect. I emailed the track, didn't get an answer for a few days, so I asked the thread what they thought. Once I got a response from the track I updated the thread. That's it.

Then what are your intentions? Do you plan on tracking the car without an aftermarket rollbar?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

See if you can spot the mistake he makes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This one shows it doesn't take much speed either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o073v-XQIQE

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phone posted:

Then what are your intentions? Do you plan on tracking the car without an aftermarket rollbar?

Dude said my intentions of posting was to find yes men when they were really to see what other people who have tracked their car said. I was assuming I'd need a roll bar. The track replied that I wouldn't need anything other than factory, I told the thread that, and said that if the track is willing to take the risk of getting sued (no amount of waiver forms legally absolve them from liability), I'd also be willing to take the risk.

I haven't scheduled anything. I might still get a roll bar. I might not even go do it. It was a loving discussion. That's it.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Three people who track their car told you that you need a rollbar. You're ignoring us all because you don't like the answer we gave you. You're going to go with the track's answer, which you like better.

You were looking for people to tell you what you wanted to hear. I'm glad the track was able to do that for you.

Savington fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 31, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Savington posted:

Three people who track their car told you that you need a rollbar. You're ignoring us all because you don't like the answer we gave you. You're going to go with the track's answer, which you like better.

You were looking for people to tell you what you wanted to hear. I'm glad the track was able to do that for you.

GutBomb posted:

I haven't scheduled anything. I might still get a roll bar. I might not even go do it. It was a loving discussion. That's it.

You people have convinced me that if I do it to get a roll bar. You've also convinced me not to ask simple questions in the forum lest I have my intentions of asking misconstrued and be called an idiot multiple times for thinking that I'd probably be ok in an extremely unlikely rollover with the factory roll hoops.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 31, 2015

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I guess it isn't surprising the Palmer owners don't have a clue about safety. Check out the entrance to pit about 12 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5KBdazDJhE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GutBomb posted:

GutBomb posted:

$495. It's a bit much but it's instruction the first half of the day and just lapping the 2nd half. In total I'll be spending more because I'm going to change the brakes first and I need to buy some wheels/tires and a helmet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

And?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's what you posted and what everyone is going by, saying you're gonna be fine (with no roll bar) and that you're gonna do a brake job, get tires and a helmet sounds an awful lot like you're planning on a track day dude.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

That's what you posted and what everyone is going by, saying you're gonna be fine (with no roll bar) and that you're gonna do a brake job, get tires and a helmet sounds an awful lot like you're planning on a track day dude.

That's what he wanted you to think because in reality he's not actually sure and is playing all of us like a fiddle. A real puppet master if you will.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GutBomb posted:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Jesus christ, I never thought I'd prefer mnet to this thread. Add "It costs" to the beginning and replace "I'll" with "I'd" then in the post where I'm talking about money in response to a dude I know outside this dumb circlejerk. I don't get where I'm trying to manipulate or play anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

GutBomb posted:

You people have convinced me that if I do it to get a roll bar. You've also convinced me not to ask simple questions in the forum lest I have my intentions of asking misconstrued and be called an idiot multiple times for thinking that I'd probably be ok in an extremely unlikely rollover with the factory roll hoops.

It's tough love. Tracking your car without a rollbar is a really, really bad idea. I am unironically glad we were able to convince you of that. I've seen too many rolled cars and too many people take a lackadaisical attitude towards HPDE safety to treat comments like "I'll probably be ok" with anything but utter contempt. People die doing this, and it's so easy to NOT die doing it that it's a tragedy when it does happen.

e: In CA, when people die at racetracks, it happens at HPDE events. I can think of four in the last 15 years or so. One resulted in a significant track alteration (ACS), the others can be entirely attributed to subpar or lack of safety gear. Everyone thinks W2W is more dangerous, but the worst thing you can possibly do is go out as a beginner on a racetrack with subpar safety gear. That's why I was so hard on you.

Savington fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2015