Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Joust posted:

I know it was only the previous episode but I got a kick out of Rick including a snake-holster in the leg of his woodmech.

I got a kick out of Stephen's mech having a Eagle to counter Rick's snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Don't get me wrong, I laughed pretty hard at car-Morty's resigned look, but does anyone else feel like the "Morty, turn into a car" joke would have been funnier if they didn't actually show it happening in the stinger (or in future episodes)?

No.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Poor Summer...
I love how the Summer B-plot got progressively more insane just like one of the usual adventures Rick and Morty have.

What started off as Rick's ship dicing up a person ended with the ship literally negotiating a planet-wide peace treaty as the only way to Keep Summer Safe while still following the parameters she laid down.

The planet's president was right though, what's one dead person and one paralyzed person (and a traumatized police officer and a traumatized Summer) compared to planetary-wide peace?

Even if Summer did ruin the best ice cream in the multiverse. Summer!:argh:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fade5 posted:

Even if Summer did ruin the best ice cream in the multiverse. Summer!:argh:

At least it became the best ice cream in the multiverse ...for spiders.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

ashpanash posted:

Chekhov's Gun, man. Don't introduce elements if you don't intend to use them.
Red herring. Introduce an element that you don't intend to use.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked that it looked like the car was simply scanning that guy, but then he fell into pieces

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I wasn't too excited by watching the preview last week, but this ep had me laughing the entire time. Could be my new favorite episode and I love it that they can make it really dark, but balance it with funny. I was hoping for the car to do more and more depraved things.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ashpanash posted:

Chekhov's Gun, man. Don't introduce elements if you don't intend to use them.

Alternatively, subvert the expectations of a viewer (for instance, that every introduced element will be used) in order to surprise them and create "humor".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Morty hadn't transformed in the stinger, we'd never know if Rick was just loving around or if they're ever going to bring it up again. It'd also make the joke less funny on a rewatch because those questions would inevitably distract the audience.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CrazyLoon posted:

At least it became the best ice cream in the multiverse ...for spiders.

It makes sense, why would you want to eat people when you can eat ice cream instead?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When did we start calling it "the stinger?"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

When did we start calling it "the stinger?"

From what I understand that's the industry term for a post-credits scene, like "vanity card" for the company logos or "Christina Hendricks" for the anthropomorphized platonic ideal of sexiness.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Who else noticed that one of the movies coming soon to that theater (or maybe currently playing) was 3 Brothers, which looks like a sequel to 2 Brothers...? Nice little callback.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DeepQantas posted:

Red herring. Introduce an element that you don't intend to use.

that's not what a red herring is, please don't use literary terms incorrectly

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If Morty hadn't transformed in the stinger, we'd never know if Rick was just loving around or if they're ever going to bring it up again. It'd also make the joke less funny on a rewatch because those questions would inevitably distract the audience.

lol

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

After listening to some of the interviews posted here I can all but guarantee that they didn't put that much thought into it and it was just a funny thing to do in the stinger, fyi. Probably just a bunch of guys sittin' around spitballing about funny ending stingers, after the car joke was already in.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Who else noticed that one of the movies coming soon to that theater (or maybe currently playing) was 3 Brothers, which looks like a sequel to 2 Brothers...? Nice little callback.

If you look closely, you might recognize the third brother

Also I thought the car stinger was the least funny joke in the episode. The rest was hilarious though, they really hit it out of the park. It also makes the previous episode look even weaker than it was.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cop posted:

After listening to some of the interviews posted here I can all but guarantee that they didn't put that much thought into it and it was just a funny thing to do in the stinger, fyi. Probably just a bunch of guys sittin' around spitballing about funny ending stingers, after the car joke was already in.

I didn't mean they surely went deep into some kind of joke theory, just that it happens to answer if Morty can turn into a car. That's nice, so it doesn't become another "IS MR POOPYBUTTHOLE REAL???"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I didn't mean they surely went deep into some kind of joke theory, just that it happens to answer if Morty can turn into a car. That's nice, so it doesn't become another "IS MR POOPYBUTTHOLE REAL???"

Hmm

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

a cop posted:

It's kind of hilarious that even in a show that literally has a significant portion of it made up on the fly, goons are still trying to rip apart every tiny detail and get distracted if they don't know the hidden meaning behind a joke. Like, for instance, the secret meaning behind wubba-lubba-dub-dub isn't the "great pain" thing, it's that Justin Roiland was supposed to say "whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop" like Curly from the Three Stooges and he hosed up and they decided to keep it because it was funny.

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely meaning to be had in this show (even when it's a nihilistic, "the only meaning is that there is no meaning" message) and there's a point to some level of analysis but people go freaking crazy here.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

XboxPants posted:

It's kind of hilarious that even in a show that literally has a significant portion of it made up on the fly, goons are still trying to rip apart every tiny detail and get distracted if they don't know the hidden meaning behind a joke. Like, for instance, the secret meaning behind wubba-lubba-dub-dub isn't the "great pain" thing, it's that Justin Roiland was supposed to say "whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop" like Curly from the Three Stooges and he hosed up and they decided to keep it because it was funny.

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely meaning to be had in this show (even when it's a nihilistic, "the only meaning is that there is no meaning" message) and there's a point to some level of analysis but people go freaking crazy here.

Hmm

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love that rick and zeep immediately think they have to wear costumes to fool their enslaved micro/miniverse races into thinking they're aliens when they already look completely different than the races that they're enslaving, it's so loving unnecessary and it always makes me laugh that they go through all that trouble to dress up for no reason

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Toxxupation posted:

I love that rick and zeep immediately think they have to wear costumes to fool their enslaved micro/miniverse races into thinking they're aliens when they already look completely different than the races that they're enslaving, it's so loving unnecessary and it always makes me laugh that they go through all that trouble to dress up for no reason

Rick is right about keeping it simple with the deely boppers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I just rewatched the Council of Ricks episode and I'm pretty sure one of the pairs of Rick & Morties were wearing fake microverse alien headbands. Alternatively, the R&M crew actually meant those guys to be aliens and the design they used was just as lazy as the design Rick used to fool the microverse people, which is perhaps even funnier.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

If you knew the entire world was a lie would you leave literally everything that you've ever known? Aside from killing rick what possible goal could he ever achieve?

If I knew that my entire world was a lie, why wouldn't I leave it to find the truth? My possible goal would be "To See What's Out There." The whole point of Zeek was that he was a (slightly lesser) version of Rick. Rick is an inventor and an explorer. Zeek would leave Planet Car Battery to go explore. The next time we see him he might well be president of the Council of Ricks or something.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The design of the tiny-verse aliens reminded me a lot of Perry Bible Fellowship, which is a good thing. Even the alien blows himself up in a very PBF way!

"Go Go Sanchez Ski-Shoes!" also made me crack up just because it's so out of the blue.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

RoboCicero posted:

"Go Go Sanchez Ski-Shoes!" also made me crack up just because it's so out of the blue.

Yeah this caught me off guard and made me laugh way too hard.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

johntfs posted:

If I knew that my entire world was a lie, why wouldn't I leave it to find the truth? My possible goal would be "To See What's Out There." The whole point of Zeek was that he was a (slightly lesser) version of Rick. Rick is an inventor and an explorer. Zeek would leave Planet Car Battery to go explore. The next time we see him he might well be president of the Council of Ricks or something.

President of the Federation of Zeeks, at war with the Council of Ricks.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

XboxPants posted:

Well, fans tend to overanalyze all kinds of poo poo. But I think the issue here, TBH, is how important do you think authorial intent is?

If you think it's super important, then sure you'll overanalyze every goddamn thing to divulge the *TRUE MEANING* of a nihlistic cartoon with dirty jokes and poop OR if you're on the opposite side, you'll be the dismissive twat that goes: "It doesn't mean poo poo because the authors don't think so, you're stupid for thinking it does, I don't like that and what you think."

On the other hand, if you think it's not that important in the end as to what the author intended in any kind of art, you'll probably not care that much about any of it all or (like myself) find whatever meaning you happen to see in it, regardless of what other people think you should. So sure - talking about what anything (no matter how inconsequential it is in the grand scheme of things) means to you is just fine and cool, so long as you don't get obsessive and weird about it being *THE ONE TRUE WAY*

EDIT: Hmm

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 31, 2015

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kind of wish Colbert-lien was giving Rick the peace sign at the end instead of the finger.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ashpanash posted:

Kind of wish Colbert-lien was giving Rick the peace sign at the end instead of the finger.

I'm pretty sure he knows what it means now.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ashpanash posted:

I think at that point Zeek realized the true meaning of the middle finger, since he pulled the same prank on his miniverse.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

kalensc posted:

I think the lower verses had time dilation but not Rick's engine, which is why it's only brought up for the first time by the president and allows for enough time to pass for Forest Marty to occur.

They all had time dilation. Rick even said he hadn't "seen [Morty] in months." And then when they get back to Zeep's the president had just finished cooking a feast for them. Just like Inception, but y'know, it makes sense.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I wanna see the trailer for 3 Brothers.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I wanna see the trailer for 3 Brothers.

I'm hoping that we get an episode down the line where Rick and Morty end up in Ball Fondlers. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems like an inevitability.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XboxPants posted:

Hah, the siblings are named Peter, Edmund, and Susan.

https://vimeo.com/50115635

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

If you look closely, you might recognize the third brother

Holy poo poo! I was too excited to see that the movie had a sequel to notice that they nailed the formula for 2 Brothers down to a T.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Could we get something of just Morty looking Done With Everything right there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

• Locked thread