Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
nevermind

whaam fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Apply for sure; be up front on the call when they ask what you'd need to consider moving.

I was once in a similar position, didn't really want to leave, was interviewed and offered a job I was planning to decline.

Sure enough, very next day I ended up finding out our contract was lost. Rolled into the new position with zero stress between them.

Point is, don't lead anyone on but there's only things to be gained by showing interest (so long as you're honest and up front)
Oh that's interesting.
I'm getting a lot of offers. but i'm really happy where I am now. My employer is covering all costs for my tuition and certification study materials plus the exams. I think I at least owe them a couple of years even if I wanted to leave.
Should I keep turning down offers?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sefal posted:

Oh that's interesting.
I'm getting a lot of offers. but i'm really happy where I am now. My employer is covering all costs for my tuition and certification study materials plus the exams. I think I at least owe them a couple of years even if I wanted to leave.

Well; yeah. If you're happy - keep turning them down.

I am always of the mind, however, that its not going to hurt you to apply to positions (or be open to chat with recruiters) that really tick the boxes and offer a potential to either move your career or pay forward. Again, with the caveat that you need to be up front. Dont tell them you'd move for pay parity and then just turn down every position - that'll start to look bad.

But if there's a position that's appealing? Of course discuss it. Keeps your interview skills sharp, and sometimes has side benefits if anything is shaky at work. Plus you may find something better, even if it seems unlikely.

But dont overdo it either.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

Oh that's interesting.

You don't owe anybody your time. You're the one that studied those materials and got the certifications / class credits. If anything you may have to buy out the cost of that stuff if you made a deal with your employer, say a 12 month commitment after a cert they paid for.

Just lump that in during the salary negotiation for interviews. "My current employer paid for these certifications that need to be covered, would you be willing to offer a signing bonus of x to assist in the transition?" Or highball the poo poo out of your salary requirements to make sure paying those certs back won't take more than a few months.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I am always of the mind, however, that its not going to hurt you to apply to positions (or be open to chat with recruiters) that really tick the boxes and offer a potential to either move your career or pay forward. Again, with the caveat that you need to be up front. Dont tell them you'd move for pay parity and then just turn down every position - that'll start to look bad.

But if there's a position that's appealing? Of course discuss it. Keeps your interview skills sharp, and sometimes has side benefits if anything is shaky at work. Plus you may find something better, even if it seems unlikely.

Am I doing it fine this way? I send them a message like this.

Dear [recruiter]

Thank you for showing an interest in me.
As this moment i'm working at [company] . I'm doing my best to further development my skills by getting certified and going to college. My current employer is very open and involved with this. I'm not planning on switching jobs at the moment.
I of course want to thank you for your message and showed interest. I hope you find the right candidate.

Kind regards,

Sefal
Original message in dutch

quote:

Geachte recruiter,
Dank u wel voor u intresse.
Op dit moment ben ik werkzaam bij [company] via [company]. Hier ben ik druk bezig met het verder ontwikkelen van mijn vaardigheden door middel van certificering en door een HBO opleiding te volgen. Mijn huidige werkgever is hier zeer behulpzaam en betrokken mee. Ik ben op dit moment niet van plan om van baan te wisselen. Ik wil u uiteraard bedanken voor uw bericht en getoonde intresse. Ik hoop dat u de geschikte kandidaat vind.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Sefal

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You don't owe anybody your time. You're the one that studied those materials and got the certifications / class credits. If anything you may have to buy out the cost of that stuff if you made a deal with your employer, say a 12 month commitment after a cert they paid for.

Just lump that in during the salary negotiation for interviews. "My current employer paid for these certifications that need to be covered, would you be willing to offer a signing bonus of x to assist in the transition?" Or highball the poo poo out of your salary requirements to make sure paying those certs back won't take more than a few months.

Thank you. I will definitely remember to mention that in an interview.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Walked posted:

For an in-demand field I don't see a lot of jobs for folks with a VCP5 and experience running an enterprise level infrastructure. But that may be my area and I should go back to looking for positions down in Florida. I mean, sure I'm good until August of next year, but I keep hoping to find a permanent FTE position instead of a one-year contract with possible renewal in one year increments.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

whaam posted:

Do you guys apply for new jobs that look very interesting even if you are super happy where you are?

God no. I have a rewarding and fulfilling career at a company and location I'm very happy with, I would never take time away from my social life and downtime, or even worse use PTO, to go to job interviews.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

whaam posted:

Do you guys apply for new jobs that look very interesting even if you are super happy where you are?

I don't want to waste the time of the company posting the job, but they don't give any idea the pay scale so the only way to find out is to apply I guess.

I'm in an architect role at a large private company now making good money for my city (small) and now there's another technical architect role at a large MSP here being posted. These jobs never seem to open up so it's tempting to apply, but it would be very unlikely that I would leave where I am. I'm in the middle of several major multi-year projects here of my own design and leaving would be a super dick move. But they have replaced some top brass and are looking to cut costs all over the company which makes me a bit nervous.

Depends. If I'd been somewhere for a few years and was starting to get bored, sure, but my current job and company are good enough that I'm thinking I'll be here until I'm ready to start my own company.

In your case, it sounds like the internal shake-ups may make it worthwhile to start exploring what's out there. Fortunately you're still in a situation where you can be very picky about where you want to work, which is a good thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

whaam posted:

I don't want to waste the time of the company posting the job, but they don't give any idea the pay scale so the only way to find out is to apply I guess.

I'm in an architect role at a large private company now making good money for my city (small) and now there's another technical architect role at a large MSP here being posted. These jobs never seem to open up so it's tempting to apply, but it would be very unlikely that I would leave where I am. I'm in the middle of several major multi-year projects here of my own design and leaving would be a super dick move. But they have replaced some top brass and are looking to cut costs all over the company which makes me a bit nervous.
Do you like sales? Being in any position at an MSP, if you're not doing support, you're implicitly working on the sales side of the pipeline. It sounds fun if you like the technical side of the architect role, but you also like interacting directly with customers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, make sure you know what you're getting into in the MSP world. It's going to be way different than good size private company. I personally can't do the MSP thing. Not interested.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Do you like sales? Being in any position at an MSP, if you're not doing support, you're implicitly working on the sales side of the pipeline. It sounds fun if you like the technical side of the architect role, but you also like interacting directly with customers.

I've never done any form of sales. I do quite enjoy "selling" projects and solutions to our executives, but I understand this is a whole other beast. Currently company is in the middle of massive changes, which includes me taking over technical design/architecture for a second company that doubles our employee/revenue footprint, while pursuing constant acquisitions, and starting a cost-cutting initiative and potentially a freeze on anything more than cost of living raises. Also they are hiring a new CTO who will be a complete unknown quantity.

One of the two industries we support is experiencing a downturn, while the other (new one) is thriving. So I really have no idea where I stand. On one hand there are dozens of potentially impactful and interesting projects on the horizon for me to uncover and manage, but on the other hand all this upheaval could be bad, and cost cutting measures are sometimes carried out with a hatchet, not a scalpel. In addition to this we are still barely scratching the surface of merging the IT departments of the two companies, of which we were the larger, absorbing the other.

Aside from all that: love the work, the company and the compensation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Being a consultant at a MSP or VAR can be really fun if you get bored easily, like project-based work, like to travel, and like getting experience with a wide range of platforms. If you're the type of person that likes knowing every single thing about your environment, including the people, you'll hate it, because consulting as a whole is not knowing what you're walking in to. You're basically trading the stability and glacial lifecycles of operations for lots of money and doing massive lifecycle migrations every day.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 31, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Retired the only Vista machine in the company. :cool:

EDIT: There's an XP VM for some finicky old piece of software. Barely gets used. Everything else is 7 or 8 unless it's for specialized industrial use. In that case there are some XP boxes talking to PLCs to make sure terrible things don't happen.

Those will eventually become modern Windows machines with XP in a VM.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many XP machines are left?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bah. I still have 2 x Windows 2000 Professional machines we can't get rid of. Specialized software/hardware type situation. We won't even talk about the dozens of XP and XPx64 machines still around.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I actually got rid of the last XP machine in our school last week. Felt good.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

We're in the final stages of finishing our migration from XP to 7 (just in time to start Windows 10 next summer) but we still have some Win 98 machines in buildings that control the HVAC systems. Fortunately we have some spare 386's sitting around to replace broken equipment so we can keep this system on life support :suicide:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Since LinkedIn profiles are discussed here a bit I thought I'd share this. LinkedIn is running this cross-county tour with stops in selected cities to provide members with new headshots and profile advice. They are in NYC on Thursday 9/3.

LinkedIn posted:

LinkedIn is hitting the road
Join us on our first-ever #PictureOpportunity tour. We’re traveling across the country to offer free headshots and profile advice to our members. So stop by and we’ll help take your profile from good to amazing.

https://opportunity.linkedin.com/tour

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

tomapot posted:

Since LinkedIn profiles are discussed here a bit I thought I'd share this. LinkedIn is running this cross-county tour with stops in selected cities to provide members with new headshots and profile advice. They are in NYC on Thursday 9/3.

And of course they hit Denver three days before I get back from Canada.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

rafikki posted:

And of course they hit Denver three days before I get back from Canada.

I can't say I feel like you're missing out on too much there.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
I have a small test tomorrow to test my knowledge for an help desk technician job covering a very large building. Requirements were being knowledgeable in TCP/IP, and knowing how to install and support windows and Linux (ubuntu).

I haven’t had a detail on what the test would be about but my guess its something to do with the above. Any help on what I should study up on? I am knowledgeable in windows and linux, TCP/IP i could use a little more help in. (wan/lan). Also wondering if there are any command lines I should know.

EpicCareMadBitch fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

oaok posted:

I have a small test tomorrow to test my knowledge for an help desk technician job covering a very large building. Requirements were being knowledgeable in TCP/IP, and knowing how to install and support windows and Linux (ubuntu).

I haven’t had a detail on what the test would be about but my guess its something to do with the above. Any help on what I should study up on? I am knowledgeable in windows and linux, TCP/IP i could use a little more help in. (wan/lan). Also wondering if there are any command lines I should know.
As far as command lines go, you should know the Windows one and the Linux one (ducks)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

oaok posted:

ipconfig /all

ipconfig/flushdns

arp -a -d

nslookup

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
We have some special snowflake users who request Macs, but then want Windows installed on them via Parallels for some reason.

For a while now I've been putting off to the side the issue that we didn't have a good way of getting our standard image deployed onto Parallels (because I am dumb).

This morning I learned that I am in fact an idiot, and realized I could be booting off of our MDT .iso and deploying it via MDT like we do everything else. :smith:

All that's left is for me to finally get DeployStudio going (that's the recommended smaller-scale OSX imaging solution these days, right?) and I'll finally have our OSX situation in decent shape.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ping -t
Ping -l
Tracert

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

tomapot posted:

This sounds like so much fun I could pee.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

We have some special snowflake users who request Macs, but then want Windows installed on them via Parallels for some reason.

For a while now I've been putting off to the side the issue that we didn't have a good way of getting our standard image deployed onto Parallels (because I am dumb).

This morning I learned that I am in fact an idiot, and realized I could be booting off of our MDT .iso and deploying it via MDT like we do everything else. :smith:

All that's left is for me to finally get DeployStudio going (that's the recommended smaller-scale OSX imaging solution these days, right?) and I'll finally have our OSX situation in decent shape.

Yeah, DeployStudio is pretty good. You can do monolithic imaging with it, or you can get fancier and get Munki going for software deployment. Depending on how many systems you're dealing with, you can probably get those two things going in a day or two.

edit : :toot:

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 1, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

ipconfig /all

ipconfig/flushdns

arp -a -d

nslookup

Practice this beforehand, but you might impress the interviewer by doing redirection.

arp -a is cool,
arp -a > arptable.txt is better

If you're feeling cheeky, start Powershell:

Powershell

and then try:
arp -a | out-gridview

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

arp -a | out-gridview

Out-Gridview doesn't do much for legacy commands like arp, because their output is just text and you don't get PSObject style columns, etc.

As an example comparison, run Get-Process | Out-Gridview

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Out-Gridview doesn't do much for legacy commands like arp, because their output is just text and you don't get PSObject style columns, etc.

You're totally right, but it gives you quick search capabilities. That's nice if you're searching for something in the output of gpresult /v

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CLAM DOWN posted:

:aaa:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Powershell rules, guys

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Practice this beforehand, but you might impress the interviewer by doing redirection.

arp -a is cool,
arp -a > arptable.txt is better

If you're feeling cheeky, start Powershell:

Powershell

and then try:
arp -a | out-gridview

How would I go about practicing?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Alternatively, if you've had Quite Enough Of This poo poo, play Russian roulette with your PC or server:

Get-Process | Get-Random | Stop-Process -force

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Alternatively, if you've had Quite Enough Of This poo poo, play Russian roulette with your PC or server:

Get-Process | Get-Random | Stop-Process -force

Going to roll this out as a once per day at 9am scheduled task, thanks

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Assuming you're on a Windows PC, open up the command prompt and try each of those commands and ensure that you are getting the appropriate output.

The > symbol "Redirects" the text output into a file or other command.

I think that >> appends instead of overwrites.

If you have windows 7 or better, almost all of the good Powershell commands will work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

gpresult /v | out-gridview

This is so cool.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So I'm at a crossroads today.

Currently I'm working a 1PM to 10PM helpdesk shift with an MSP that exclusively services the financial sector. Although it's been very much a learning experience, at my most recent job, I think that I've burned out completely or possibly bored out.

My biggest hint that something else is lacking is the pure... excitement I felt last Friday and even Saturday as I got handed 82,000 entries to put into AD on a team of 3 people, and got told to copy/paste the SAMA names into AD from an excel sheet. And figuring out that I could script that motherfucker instead of doing.... whatever it was they wanted us to accomplish. (Edit: They also wanted it done in 3 hours) 20 minutes later I get it done, run the script, clean up the misspelled and poorly formatted entries and I couldn't be happier. FINALLY! A skill I know being used to its best extent.

Then cut to yesterday in which I spend an hour on the phone with a lady who can't stop talking about how apple should be investigated by congress (HAH!) because she updated iTunes and it looks "Different now" and wouldn't accept a downgrade or me reverting and wanted me to go through every single option on the menu because "There had to be a way" and my boss not letting me dismiss the client in any way shape or form because... customer.

I think I'm going to put in my notice, then spend a month or two shovelling certifications up my tailpipe and then try to make the jump to a sysadmin position, it's got to be less stupid than whatever it is they want me to do next.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Methanar posted:

gpresult /v | out-gridview

This is so cool.

Again, gpresult isn't a PS command, it's a legacy command, and the output is just text so Out-Gridview is literally doing nothing other than offering a pretty popup.

Out-Gridview's strengths are when you want to display a table, a PSObject, etc. Do something like this to see the difference:

code:
Get-EventLog -List | Out-Gridview -Title "This is a cool GridView of event log properties!"