Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Wonder what's going to happen to the 150+ mod buildings I have....

No lights at night until the modder updates I assume but maybe not?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just thinking of all the modders who have been making GBS threads themselves about creating night lighting for their buildings since this update was announced.

Cities: Skylines - After Dark - Dev Diary 2: What's new with Modding?

quote:

Today, let's have a look at the two biggest changes/new stuff happening on the Modding side of Cities: Skylines.

Let's get started on how the day/night cycle affects the Asset editor and user-created models:
After we decided to add this feature alongside the After Dark expansion, our first reaction was to ponder what would that mean for the ton of assets already created on the Steam Workshop. We knew it would be impossible to completely automate the process to lit those assets during night time, but we wanted to minimize and ease the amount of manual work required by content creators.

Our first step was to turn all prop assets which are expected to emit light into assets emitting light. Street lamps/poles (see below) and so forth are heavily used in custom assets, therefore it made sense to take that road, as it would provide a base lighting for all assets already using them.

continued: http://www.citiesskylines-nation.com/threads/cities-skylines-after-dark-dev-diary-2-whats-new-with-modding.542/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

"After Dark" huh? It better replace the airplanes for flying toasters.

I never owned those screensavers, beyond downloading them for free at some point, I've no idea from where. Still, those toasters better appear in the loading screens!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Cool, so they are going to add district styles as a modable feature.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Nope. Modern devs realized buyers get pissed off if they can't run games at maximum settings, it makes them feel bad and that they didn't get all the game they paid for. They'd also go way past their computer's recommended settings then bitch and moan and submit tech support tickets for their game crashing or running bad because they set everything to maximum on their e-machine. People also demand refunds for buying a game their computer can't handle, or purposefully changing a game's settings so that their computer can't handle it.

You'd think we could just have a warning that the bigger your city gets the more power you'll need, or a user configurable max-objects setting, but people are both too stupid and too willing to throw a tantrum.

Giving the game an unlimited building limit will be pretty vital in securing that the game gets a long life like Sim City. They'd be stupid not to.

I don't know if they understand just how good an advertisement for their game a 1:1 recreation of Chicago for example would be. It's not like your average 10 year old with a 2010 HP laptop will ever get to that point anyways.

Already the game gets pretty laggy in the end-game state for some users, and yet I've never seen a single person complain about it. Most people are just thrilled that they finally have an actual good city builder.

Roy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 31, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

San Andreas was bad and lovely and dumb, but it made me think of how fun it would be to have disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis or dam-related flooding-damage in the game. Not as a part of the natural game, but more like an addon of some kind. I want to see my city ruined in nice and sweet graphics.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
GTA is a bad example because even aged PCs are pretty on par with the consoles that game was originally written for.

That being said, my computer is six years old at this point (I plan to upgrade but I'm holding out a bit until skylake stuff isn't at it it's insane introduction price here anymore) and cities runs just fine, even with larger cities. I also always lock my framerate to 30, I don't know if that has an effect on the game logic. (It might)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think he's talking about the movie San Andreas?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

mutata posted:

Can you smell the Rock's Hot Coffee?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Black Griffon posted:

San Andreas was bad and lovely and dumb, but it made me think of how fun it would be to have disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis or dam-related flooding-damage in the game. Not as a part of the natural game, but more like an addon of some kind. I want to see my city ruined in nice and sweet graphics.
I kinda want to see weather, as a follow-up to the day-night cycle. Both mundane poo poo like having changing seasons with appropriate weather, which would vary the visual experience as the seasons changed. Summers in temperate/boreal maps would be long and bright, while winter days would seem to be over in no time at all, revealing the full glory of Christmas decorations and New Year's Eve in all their splendor. In terms of gameplay, snow would of course also be an issue, especially for traffic.

Given the way the game handles water, "disasters" could be more dynamic too, not predefined as such but the result of a combination of your own city planning and more extreme weather. Like, a torrential rain storm could be limited to flooding sewers and basements, or it could be funneled by hills and mountains into a much more destructive flood which drowns entire neighborhoods, and possibly contaminates the water supply. Conversely, a lack of rain could see the flow of water from rivers diminish, possibly creating a water crisis in your city as your supply runs low.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Conversely, a lack of rain could see the flow of water from rivers diminish, possibly creating a water crisis in your city as your supply runs low.
That's what the magical water towers are for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I want traffic disasters like construction and parades and sporting events and block parties.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
My city is starting to lag :(

I'm thinking of expanding it a bit more at its current density alongside the river, and spam other areas (up to the train track, alongside the freeways) with true sprawl.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

That's what the magical water towers are for.
The sun's deadly rays would blow them up, releasing scalding steam clouds unto the surrounding areas.

zedprime posted:

I want traffic disasters like construction and parades and sporting events and block parties.
The worst disasters of all: Successful Olympic Games bid. Must build a bunch of stadiums plus an Olympic village, or have your entire city get decades long major negative modifier to land value.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 31, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Koesj posted:

I'm thinking of expanding it a bit more at its current density alongside the river, and spam other areas (up to the train track, alongside the freeways) with true sprawl.

I think I remember someone confirming that forcing 1x1 plots is orders of magnitudes more intensive than similar sized cities. Which makes sense since agents seem to be handled per plot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koesj posted:

Is your computer a little long in the tooth? Because I don't see anything in there that would cause visible issues on my machine. That seems like a pretty moderate city to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

zedprime posted:

I think I remember someone confirming that forcing 1x1 plots is orders of magnitudes more intensive than similar sized cities. Which makes sense since agents seem to be handled per plot.

It does. What he's got there is basically the AI equivalent of a large city; a normal plot is about 4 or 5 squares wide, so what he's done is taken a huge city comprised of those and compressed it down into a normal-sized city.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Well they're mostly 2x2, only the dirt road neighborhoods are 1x1. Looks like a restart already helped a bit, I just hadn't noticed any lag at 50k before.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

mutata posted:

Indeed I was.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I kinda want to see weather, as a follow-up to the day-night cycle. Both mundane poo poo like having changing seasons with appropriate weather, which would vary the visual experience as the seasons changed. Summers in temperate/boreal maps would be long and bright, while winter days would seem to be over in no time at all, revealing the full glory of Christmas decorations and New Year's Eve in all their splendor. In terms of gameplay, snow would of course also be an issue, especially for traffic.

Given the way the game handles water, "disasters" could be more dynamic too, not predefined as such but the result of a combination of your own city planning and more extreme weather. Like, a torrential rain storm could be limited to flooding sewers and basements, or it could be funneled by hills and mountains into a much more destructive flood which drowns entire neighborhoods, and possibly contaminates the water supply. Conversely, a lack of rain could see the flow of water from rivers diminish, possibly creating a water crisis in your city as your supply runs low.

Yeah, having to build LA-style flood control would be a really fun and interesting challenge, and getting punished for poor planning is much more reasonable than "oh hey have a UFO why don't you".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Flood control would be great if they could make water a little less weird in the game. If weather were ever added (I doubt it) then maybe we could get smog as well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Certainly. They have the outline of an incredibly cool dynamic/procedural water system, but it usually gets weird when you put it to the test. I'd love to see that part of the game get refined, but there's really no need for it when it comes to the base-game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it produces some neat effects with pollution and can make some amusing disasters in a game that officially doesn't have disasters. For a system the developer created as a project when in school it is a pretty cool feature.

It'd be nice for it to not obliterate things when trying to sandbox a perfect city but I'd rather it be like it is now than not there at all.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I just like that it allows me to power my city using a reservoir of raw sewage.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I would rather have disasters of some sort before any type of weather effects just so that once you build up a city to a reasonable point, something bad can happen. That said I don't know how they would implement the handling of the disasters other than "hurry up and wait" for them to fix themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they do disasters, I'd like to see them do something new with it.

Like if a tornado blows through, people don't just leave the city. Maybe they can "live" in a nearby school until their house is rebuilt. Or you get some kind of ploppable tent city. If a flood lasts too long, crime goes through the roof as people start looting.

You know, have some actual disaster management instead of "aww shucks, a bunch of buildings got blown up. oh well bulldoze it and wait for people to move back in."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can already make disasters with poorly built dams and zoning oil industry.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

xzzy posted:

Like if a tornado blows through, people don't just leave the city. Maybe they can "live" in a nearby school until their house is rebuilt. Or you get some kind of ploppable tent city. If a flood lasts too long, crime goes through the roof as people start looting.

You know, have some actual disaster management instead of "aww shucks, a bunch of buildings got blown up. oh well bulldoze it and wait for people to move back in."

There was a major traffic accident on your very important two-lane road, what now fucko???

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Decrepus posted:

There was a major traffic accident on your very important two-lane road, what now fucko???

Disconnect the accident from the route, start a new road, build overpass to get around the wreck, life goes on. :haw:

While I do think traffic accidents would be a neat aspect of the simulation, at the speed the game runs at I'm not sure it would have a meaningful effect on the actual play.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

While I do think traffic accidents would be a neat aspect of the simulation, at the speed the game runs at I'm not sure it would have a meaningful effect on the actual play.
Airliners and trains crashing through your city on a regular basis is the answer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

xzzy posted:

The crime overhaul would really need to be significant*. Civil unrest as a result of disasters would be amazing. Civil unrest as the result of you being a terrible city planner would also be amazing. It would finally make police feel like part of the damned game.

*So far the only major change I have seen mentioned for After Dark is the need for prisons, which doesn't seem meaningful beyond now treating criminals as a negative resource like bodies and trash (cemeteries and landfills). It would be cool if like with those two things, there were alternate buildings you could build in an attempt to manage criminal population, like different kinds of structures for rehabilitation, or you could be mean and just keep building prisons, and maybe build private prisons for cost effectiveness.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'd love to create some kind of hosed up dystopian Mega-City One thing where there's a police station at every block and a crematorium at every other. Once you enter the city, there's no way out. Pay your 90% taxes and labor in the enternal oil-fields until the hearse-bus comes for you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

xzzy posted:

Disconnect the accident from the route, start a new road, build overpass to get around the wreck, life goes on. :haw:

The Open TTD thing where you could pay the local authority to do immense amount of road work on an enemy town was pretty funny even though it didn't do much to slow them down.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
It'd be cool to have a rival city. Like Springfield and Shelbyville, or Troy and Piqua. You have to build cooler parks and statues or run better schools to compete for residents.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Just thought I'd leave these here:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
BTW found out a new pro-tip: You can make sub-sea tunnels by using the terrain mod and raising the ocean floor a bit so as to provide space for the tunnel.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Traffic accident could be a cool thing to require. It'd require one fire truck, one police car and an ambulance to solve and go away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder how well the simulation would be able to determine which intersections are more dangerous.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I've got so much space to fill in T_T

e: VVVV I exported the map as an .osm from the Cimtographer mod, into JOSM (openstreetmap standalone editor), and 'printed' it from there.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
What did you use to generate that map?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Cripes, for mapping your C:S cities the Cimtographer > JOSM > Maperitive path is pretty powerful. Only problem looks to be the mod exporting ramps/oneways a bit funkily.

I should probably look at different rendering rules, but here, have a default 'hiking' map of my updated city:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Vahakyla posted:

Traffic accident could be a cool thing to require. It'd require one fire truck, one police car and an ambulance to solve and go away.
What about a zombie virus?

Police, ambulance and hearse?