Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
It's a little pricier, but we've really liked having a dropcam ( I guess it's a Nest cam now?) for our son's room. Being able to check in on him even if we're out of the house while grandma is babysitting gives some nice peace of mind. We even have a second one so I can watch him play from work easily if I'm stuck there all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How is it using your phone as the receiver versus a dedicated device? I'm assuming you don't have to leave your screen on all night, for example.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

When I tried it with an old cell phone (tried to keep a google hangouts video chat open), the sound pick up on the mic on the phone wasn't quite sensitive enough. You ended up turning the volume way up, which leads to a constant hissing noise. Not sure how well using an intercom mode on hand set would work.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Splat posted:

It's a little pricier, but we've really liked having a dropcam ( I guess it's a Nest cam now?) for our son's room. Being able to check in on him even if we're out of the house while grandma is babysitting gives some nice peace of mind. We even have a second one so I can watch him play from work easily if I'm stuck there all day.

I don't know what a drop cam is, but you can do this with any $50 security cam. That's what we used as a monitor.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

How is it using your phone as the receiver versus a dedicated device? I'm assuming you don't have to leave your screen on all night, for example.

We tried this with some ip cams and it just wasn't worth it. You can make it work but when it all came down to it we just wanted a no brainer option. You're already so overwhelmed with so much other stuff that worrying about the monitoring situation just wasn't worth it. Plus for us we never had a situation where we needed to check in remotely so that helped. If you need that I'd go the dropcam route and not foscam or the like.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

We've used an audio only monitor for the last 2.5 years. It's been fine and I keep it set so that it only transmits sound if it gets pretty loud in my daughter's room. During the winter we don't turn it on much at all because I wake up to her fussing before the monitor even starts to transmit. But during the summer when we're running fans to cool the house down it still gets used. We're wanting to get a video monitor this time around though (baby 2 is due in a month). It's definitely not necessary though. The only option I consider absolutely necessary in a monitor is being able to set it to only transmit over a certain volume. We use white noise in my daughter's room and the monitor would have driven me completely insane without the option to only transmit when the baby herself was actually making noise.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

(baby 2 is due in a month).
Hey there, 2nd-baby-due-in-a-month buddy! Sep 29th due date over here.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

amethystbliss posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for weaning? My 15 month old shows absolutely zero interest in stopping and I'd be okay to go for a while longer, but she's becoming obnoxious about it (must be able to see both breasts, lots of painful poking and prodding, etc.). She eats solids for breakfast and lunch at daycare, but nurses in the evening, night and mornings. I keep trying to redirect her to normal food when she tries nursing but it's not really working out...

It is tough when they start getting demanding! I found that I had to get quite strict about breastfeeding - I was happy for her to feed, but if she was messing around then that was the end of that session. Also, I really focussed on trying to figure out what else she got from feeding (like comfort, time with me, a chance to be quiet for a bit, etc) and tried to give her those things throughout the day. For example, I'd give her a quick feed then we'd cuddle and read a book together. It didn't work every time, but it helped improve the situation and she did wean eventually.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

rgocs posted:

As long a you don't go over the top. My cousin bought a sensor that measured her baby's movement and if it didn't detect movement in a certain amount of time it would sound an alarm. Supposed to help avoids SIDS, but she said that between false alarms (sensor messing up) and worrying wether it was working or not, it made her way more stressed than she would've other wise been. As far as I know she didn't use it for her second child.

Fake edit: "As long a you don't go over the top." Not saying do not use the sensors, to each their own, just don't go overly nuts with them.

I hear that. It's more a "peek on baby before I go to sleep" thing.

It's hard to go from the NICU where you know every single stat to home, where ... Who the gently caress knows.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sucks being a responsible parent, I want to play season 4 Diablo in my pyjamas all day.

Rant over.

Thread content, our almost 3 year old needs to wear an eye patch as she's got a lazy eye. We went through 8 patches in the first day and she had red skin where she'd been pulling the sticky bits from. I'm sure we'll power through it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Quick question... Nora is getting over a nasty bout of diaper rash (but it's definitely better) and a friend invited us over tomorrow due a cookout and they have a saltwater pool. Is that something I should avoid? By then her rash should be about 85% gone.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I think it'd be fine. The concentration of saltwater pools is probably pretty close to isotonic, so it'd be no different than letting your kid swim in saline. If anything it might help her feel better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for the reply! Another question.

Nora is allergic to cow's milk. She loves soy milk and the doctor told us he wants her off formula in the next two weeks and on milk full time. However everything I've ready online says that you should use calcium fortified soy milk because of the way the body doesn't absorb calcium from Soy milk as much as cow's milk.

But I can't find that poo poo anywhere. Only thing I can see is Silk and it's generic counterparts. The Silk has more calcium and fats than the generics, but I don't know if it has enough calcium. Anyone else with the same issue?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Oodles posted:

Sucks being a responsible parent, I want to play season 4 Diablo in my pyjamas all day.

Rant over.

My husband and I went away to a hotel for two nights without the kids. We spent almost all the time away lying on the bed in our pants watching really lovely quiz shows and Come Dine with Me and eating junk food. It was fantastic.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for the reply! Another question.

Nora is allergic to cow's milk. She loves soy milk and the doctor told us he wants her off formula in the next two weeks and on milk full time. However everything I've ready online says that you should use calcium fortified soy milk because of the way the body doesn't absorb calcium from Soy milk as much as cow's milk.

But I can't find that poo poo anywhere. Only thing I can see is Silk and it's generic counterparts. The Silk has more calcium and fats than the generics, but I don't know if it has enough calcium. Anyone else with the same issue?

How old is she and why does he want her off formula? If it's just because it's his standard answer for "well, she's this old now and I want all kids this age off formula", that might not be a compelling enough reason. I would have a talk with him about your concerns and ask him for recommendations or a referral to a nutritionist.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fionnoula posted:

How old is she and why does he want her off formula? If it's just because it's his standard answer for "well, she's this old now and I want all kids this age off formula", that might not be a compelling enough reason. I would have a talk with him about your concerns and ask him for recommendations or a referral to a nutritionist.

Thanks.. Yeah I think that's his reasoning. To be honest I didn't even question it. I just thought "ok guess its time for kids to be off formula?"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do people do to deal with defiance from a toddler? Our son is now 2 years and 8 months, and he's recently starting deliberately defying us almost whenever he gets the chance. It can sometimes be cute (we're playing with his trucks and I ask him 'What colour is this one? (it's red) Him: (cheeky smile) ummmmmm, it's black! ummmm, it's white! repeat for every colour he knows except the actual colour of the truck) but more often than not it's really frustrating. He used to be really good about putting his toys away when we asked, now he just says NO! to most requests.

Food is another one - he'll refuse to eat what we give him, but won't offer up any alternatives. At bedtime, he won't put his pyjamas on without a little wrestling match. Today in a coffee shop he decided to start putting his mouth on the table - as soon as I asked him not to do it because the table could be dirty, it became his new favourite thing to do.

I understand that he's starting to discover and explore his independence, but does anyone have any tactics they use to deal with this?

E: i know him deliberately getting the colours of the toys wrong is more him being contrarian than defiant, but it's just a good example of him knowing what I want him to do (tell me the colour of the toy) and then deliberately not doing it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How interchangeable are the various bottles and accessories? For some reason, our registry has Playex, Dr. Brown's, Nuby, and Tommee Tippee stuff (bottles, warmer, brush, dishwasher rack).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bardeh posted:

I understand that he's starting to discover and explore his independence, but does anyone have any tactics they use to deal with this?

There is an element of choosing your battles - if it's not going to kill him to lick the table, let him do it. If he wants to wear three t-shirts and a skirt, let him. If he won't eat the food you give him, let him be hungry. If he won't wear PJs, put him to bed in a diaper. You cannot control every aspect of this other human's experience, so let him live with the consequences of his decisions.

If it comes to listening to you in public for things like not holding your hand in a parking lot or something where his life is in danger or he is harming another, then you need to implement a specific and consistent form of discipline. He loses a beloved toy, there's a timeout/timein element, you clearly explain to him why he needs to obey in that circumstance, etc.

EDIT - if he won't pick up his toys, then you put them in a bin and put them in the garage or something. If he really wants them, he can earn them back. That's the kind of stuff we do in our house.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

There is an element of choosing your battles - if it's not going to kill him to lick the table, let him do it. If he wants to wear three t-shirts and a skirt, let him. If he won't eat the food you give him, let him be hungry. If he won't wear PJs, put him to bed in a diaper. You cannot control every aspect of this other human's experience, so let him live with the consequences of his decisions.

If it comes to listening to you in public for things like not holding your hand in a parking lot or something where his life is in danger or he is harming another, then you need to implement a specific and consistent form of discipline. He loses a beloved toy, there's a timeout/timein element, you clearly explain to him why he needs to obey in that circumstance, etc.

EDIT - if he won't pick up his toys, then you put them in a bin and put them in the garage or something. If he really wants them, he can earn them back. That's the kind of stuff we do in our house.

Thanks, this is good advice. You're right, I do need to get better at picking my battles - often it's just a matter of us getting frustrated and annoyed when he disobeys us all the time, but I guess that pushing back hard against him on every last thing isn't going to help.

We do a timeout thing that we call 'the naughty corner', but I generally reserve it for when he hits out physically. I will try having him earning back his favourite toys if he won't put them away.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

Thanks.. Yeah I think that's his reasoning. To be honest I didn't even question it. I just thought "ok guess its time for kids to be off formula?"

My son had a condition called hypercalcemia as an infant - his body just didn't process calcium the way everyone else's does, it just built up in his bloodstream to dangerously high levels. It caused him great pain and put him at risk of kidney damage. So he needed to be on a prescription formula with very low levels of calcium and NO vitamin D in it. His hypercalcemia resolved somewhere between age 2 and 2 1/2. As a result of his medical needs, all the rules about when to stop formula just went right out the window because really it was providing him with the nutrition he needed in a safe way and stopping formula just because the pediatrician normally recommends it between 12 and 18 months just didn't make sense. His pediatrician would give me all the little flyers he usually gave about all that poo poo and then would say "The HMO requires me to give you all this crap, please disregard these 9 out of 10 points on this paper, they do not apply for your son."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bardeh posted:

Thanks, this is good advice. You're right, I do need to get better at picking my battles - often it's just a matter of us getting frustrated and annoyed when he disobeys us all the time, but I guess that pushing back hard against him on every last thing isn't going to help.

We do a timeout thing that we call 'the naughty corner', but I generally reserve it for when he hits out physically. I will try having him earning back his favourite toys if he won't put them away.

The main thing to avoid is a power struggle. They are developing a sense of independence at that age and they want to do stuff in their own way, and we are trying to manage every aspect of their existence and it gets frustrating when they don't follow the plan. The real skill is identifying the moments where that kind of control is truly necessary and when there is space for them to make their own crazy decisions. Don't feed into the power struggle, let them make a crazy decision (don't make them an alternate meal! Picky eaters are usually picky eaters because parents let them be) and let them live with the consequences. You can use these moments as learning experiences for the kids. If they don't want dinner but then beg for dessert or a snack, let them know if they are hungry they should have eaten dinner and bummer for them.

I think the main piece of advice I can give all parents is do not underestimate your kids! Every moment is a learning experience, they retain a lot more info than you may realize, and they can manipulate you with fake crying and stuff way earlier than you might expect them to. I call my kids out on their BS all the time, in a fun loving way of course.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BonoMan posted:

How old? I can't think of an age where you'd want to switch them off formula and onto soy milk? By the time they should off off formula/breast feeding they're usually well onto solid. The WHO recommendation for breast feeding is at least two years, I don't imagine formula is much different except that the at least wouldn't be as strong since you aren't getting the disease resistance stuff. Of course, if you're using a milk-based formula and the kid is sensitive to milk, that would also explain why he would want you to switch ASAP.

Also, mine is 7 months old now and it's just non. stop. whining. His new thing is whining when he's happy as well as when he's sad, and it's easy to tell the difference but it's still a whine and him spending literally 50%+ of his waking time whining is really starting to grind us down. He's been fighting his naps like never before and getting really upset whenever we leave him alone in a room too, even if he can still see us. (Actually, it's worst when he can still see us, when he's been alone for a bit he's ocassionally fine until he catches a glimpse of us again)

Is this a common thing at this age? Does it get better? Does it get better soon?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 30, 2015

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this a common thing at this age? Does it get better? Does it get better soon?
In my experience, that whiny phase ramps up a bit until they start getting mobile. At that age they seem to be aware that there's more they could be doing, they just haven't figured out how. It may just be something you'll have to wait out a bit longer.

My 3-year-old and 18-month-old are still whiny as hell if I'm trying to make dinner or something where they can see me, so I don't have much advice there. I have to find somewhere to hide out for a couple minutes to get them to go play sometimes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, mine is 7 months old now and it's just non. stop. whining. His new thing is whining when he's happy as well as when he's sad, and it's easy to tell the difference but it's still a whine and him spending literally 50%+ of his waking time whining is really starting to grind us down. He's been fighting his naps like never before and getting really upset whenever we leave him alone in a room too, even if he can still see us. (Actually, it's worst when he can still see us, when he's been alone for a bit he's ocassionally fine until he catches a glimpse of us again)

To the extent you can, don't respond to the whine. Either do what they want before they whine, or once they start whining, don't do what they want.

You are a magician with a bag of tricks, and every time he whines, you whip out a new trick. A cracker, a toy, a snuggle, a song, a book, whatever. So every time he whines, you deliver with something fun. You're re-enforcing the whine. Don't do that.

This, like all things parenting, is easier said than done.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Quick question:

My boy seems to be having something sinusy going on, he's snotting pretty hard. However, there's a bit of blood in what is coming out of his nose. It's infrequent, and just a little, not like a full on nosebleed. Most of the time it's just like a small line in the rest of his dripping. He's not running a fever or feeling bad or anything else that would cause concern. Is there something i Need to watch for?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Any tips for getting a toddler to sleep in her own bed? I had no problems with this up until last night, as she always went down in her bed no problem, and woke up and came over to my room in the morning to snuggle a little in my bed. We spent maybe a few minutes in there cuddling then got out and started our day.

Then all of a sudden last night she starts saying "sleep in daddy's bed" (Her mom and I aren't together) stating her bed was too dark. I put some night lights in there last night (two), showed her where they were, and told her I would be in the other room, and then put her to bed. All was great, and then 10 minutes in screaming occurred, and I had a heart attack because I thought something was wrong. She's in there just crying and screaming my name, and I couldn't calm her down at all (though I would thought she would maybe come get me since she's able to get out of her room on her own). She kept screaming "Daddy's bed" and so after 20 minutes of her crying horribly, I caved and put her in. I put her back in her bed an hour later, but then she came into my room about 5 AM or so (after a random scream to scare the poo poo out of me at 3 AM) to get into my bed and fall back asleep.

Thinking tonight would be better, as she didn't have her nap today and would crash easily, I tried to get her to bed sooner.

Nope, same result. I'm hoping she stays in her bed tonight, but not 100% confident.

I don't know where this came from, and I have never had issues before with this. Any ideas?

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Quick question:

My boy seems to be having something sinusy going on, he's snotting pretty hard. However, there's a bit of blood in what is coming out of his nose. It's infrequent, and just a little, not like a full on nosebleed. Most of the time it's just like a small line in the rest of his dripping. He's not running a fever or feeling bad or anything else that would cause concern. Is there something i Need to watch for?

Not a big deal at all. It is probably just dried out or irritated. Lots of kids (and adults) get a little blood whenever they have a bad sinus cold. You can help moisten the nasal passages and soothe it by spraying it with a saline spray (make sure it is just plain saline, make sure you get a fresh bottle with each cold) or if you have an older child you can use a neilmed bottle or neti pot. Just remember if you use those to use distilled water or boil the water first and let it come to room temperature. You can use the premixed packets or make your own saline mix with salt and baking soda.

The second thing you can do is make sure to teach them to blow their noses softly and give them soft tissues. I cut up some fleece that we use as washable tissues for my little guy. If you don't want to go that route get the tissues with lotion. Makes a world of difference!

The third thing you can do is use a humidifier, especially at night, or stick him in the bathroom with the shower to give him a little steam.

Also, don't freak out if it turns into a full on bloody nose at some point. Totally normal situation. Just have him lean forward (not backward) and pinch the bridge of his nose until it stops. Just keep up with the above solutions and it will get better. Also, sometimes in kids it is from scratching the inside of the nose while picking it, so remind him to keep his fingers out, although that is a battle seldom won with kids...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

momtartin posted:

I don't know where this came from, and I have never had issues before with this. Any ideas?

If you can, I've actually heard it's better if you try to sleep in with her in her room to comfort her rather than the other way around, since you don't want to cement the 'her room scary, daddy's room comfort" association in her mind.

That's not always possible, of course.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GlyphGryph posted:

How old? I can't think of an age where you'd want to switch them off formula and onto soy milk? By the time they should off off formula/breast feeding they're usually well onto solid. The WHO recommendation for breast feeding is at least two years, I don't imagine formula is much different except that the at least wouldn't be as strong since you aren't getting the disease resistance stuff. Of course, if you're using a milk-based formula and the kid is sensitive to milk, that would also explain why he would want you to switch ASAP.

She just turned 1 last week. We're using Soy formula because she has a milk allergy right now.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Help me help me help me.

Elise is 7 months old and is sleeping in her crib in her own room. About 4 nights a week she wakes up anywhere from 12:45am to 4:30am screaming bloody murder. We put her pacifier back in and rub her back until she falls back asleep. This works less than half of the time. Most nights, we resort to brining her into bed with us just so we can get some sleep.

Last night, for example; she went to bed at 8:15 and woke up at 1:45. She cried in her crib for about 45 minutes, my has and and I both tried the pacifier trick. At 2:30, I brought her into our room and she was awake until 4ish this morning. The sleep deprivation is starting to wear me down, even more than when she was a newborn. At least we could predict her sleep pattern!

Any suggestions on getting her to sleep through the night, or at the very least get her to be able to go back to sleep on her own?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ambellina posted:

Help me help me help me.

Elise is 7 months old and is sleeping in her crib in her own room. About 4 nights a week she wakes up anywhere from 12:45am to 4:30am screaming bloody murder. We put her pacifier back in and rub her back until she falls back asleep. This works less than half of the time. Most nights, we resort to brining her into bed with us just so we can get some sleep.

Last night, for example; she went to bed at 8:15 and woke up at 1:45. She cried in her crib for about 45 minutes, my has and and I both tried the pacifier trick. At 2:30, I brought her into our room and she was awake until 4ish this morning. The sleep deprivation is starting to wear me down, even more than when she was a newborn. At least we could predict her sleep pattern!

Any suggestions on getting her to sleep through the night, or at the very least get her to be able to go back to sleep on her own?

Could she be hungry/is she still getting nightfeedings? Nightfeedings at 7 months aren't unusual.

Do what you have to do so everyone can sleep. This phase will pass. It may break your spirit once or twice but it'll pass.

Just see my past self posting in this thread:

Thwomp posted:

Speaking of baby sleep, our 7 month old is finally going to sleep on his own in his crib (just started last night, crossing every body part you can). Once we're confident he's really okay in his crib, we'll start tackling his night feedings, of which he usually only has one but occasionally two.

But what really concerns me is he often likes to wake up at 5am and not go back down. It's really too early to be up (rather it be after 6am) and he'll go to back to sleep right away if we bring him into our bed. I don't want it to be a habit but nothing else works. For reference, he goes to bed around 7:30.

I hope doing away with the night feeds helps with his really early wake ups.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 31, 2015

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

Thwomp posted:

Could she be hungry/is she still getting nightfeedings? Nightfeedings at 7 months aren't unusual.

Do what you have to do so everyone can sleep. This phase will pass. It may break your spirit once or twice but it'll pass.

She hasn't had a night feeding in about a month, since we switched to full time formula. Good to know it's pretty common for it to happen though, and we aren't doing something horribly wrong.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ambellina posted:

Help me help me help me.

Option: Do you want to consider having her sleep with you every night? Some kids just need to sleep with their parents. "Some" could be your child or could absolutely not be your child.

Additionally, white noise? Is there too much light/noise coming in the room (sun, birds outside, etc)?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

I'd go ahead and try a night feeding and see if it changes things. She could be going through a period where she just needs a bit more food. We weren't able to completely drop night feedings until my daughter was just over a year, even though there were some periods where she slept through without one well before that.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

rgocs posted:

Hey there, 2nd-baby-due-in-a-month buddy! Sep 29th due date over here.

Sept 25th here. I am counting down the days in a way I never did with my first. Ready to be done!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ambellina posted:

Help me help me help me.

Definitely try nightfeedings. I know at that age our son was definitely hungry during the night more often than not, even if some nights he would sleep through.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ambellina posted:

Help me help me help me.

Yeah, their sleep patterns get all weird while they are figuring out the whole day-night thing. Waiting it out is the only real solution, although if you can, maybe take shifts with your spouse? So that at least one of you gets some rest.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

momtartin posted:

Any tips for getting a toddler to sleep in her own bed? I had no problems with this up until last night, as she always went down in her bed no problem, and woke up and came over to my room in the morning to snuggle a little in my bed. We spent maybe a few minutes in there cuddling then got out and started our day.

Then all of a sudden last night she starts saying "sleep in daddy's bed" (Her mom and I aren't together) stating her bed was too dark. I put some night lights in there last night (two), showed her where they were, and told her I would be in the other room, and then put her to bed. All was great, and then 10 minutes in screaming occurred, and I had a heart attack because I thought something was wrong. She's in there just crying and screaming my name, and I couldn't calm her down at all (though I would thought she would maybe come get me since she's able to get out of her room on her own). She kept screaming "Daddy's bed" and so after 20 minutes of her crying horribly, I caved and put her in. I put her back in her bed an hour later, but then she came into my room about 5 AM or so (after a random scream to scare the poo poo out of me at 3 AM) to get into my bed and fall back asleep.

Thinking tonight would be better, as she didn't have her nap today and would crash easily, I tried to get her to bed sooner.

Nope, same result. I'm hoping she stays in her bed tonight, but not 100% confident.

You're going to have to be firm and consistent. She needs to stay in her own bed and you have to keep putting her back into it if she gets up. If she does the deranged screaming and crying, just soothe her there in her bed. It may take 10 mins, it may take an hour, but she will eventually either A) calm down or B) become too exhausted to cry anymore and go to sleep. It sucks super giant balls, but if you don't want her in your bed you have to stop this now and stop it outright. No giving in for "just one night" cause it will just be a green light to her for all other nights and then she'll be even more confused because you said this was okay just yesterday. Sorry man, hope it works itself out fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Not a big deal at all. It is probably just dried out or irritated. Lots of kids (and adults) get a little blood whenever they have a bad sinus cold. You can help moisten the nasal passages and soothe it by spraying it with a saline spray (make sure it is just plain saline, make sure you get a fresh bottle with each cold) or if you have an older child you can use a neilmed bottle or neti pot. Just remember if you use those to use distilled water or boil the water first and let it come to room temperature. You can use the premixed packets or make your own saline mix with salt and baking soda.

The second thing you can do is make sure to teach them to blow their noses softly and give them soft tissues. I cut up some fleece that we use as washable tissues for my little guy. If you don't want to go that route get the tissues with lotion. Makes a world of difference!

The third thing you can do is use a humidifier, especially at night, or stick him in the bathroom with the shower to give him a little steam.

Also, don't freak out if it turns into a full on bloody nose at some point. Totally normal situation. Just have him lean forward (not backward) and pinch the bridge of his nose until it stops. Just keep up with the above solutions and it will get better. Also, sometimes in kids it is from scratching the inside of the nose while picking it, so remind him to keep his fingers out, although that is a battle seldom won with kids...

Thanks, he seems pretty normal now,. probably the same nosebleed I used to get this time of year with the weather starting to change.