Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Christmas is loving CANCELLED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

jetz0r posted:

If by pretty OSHA, you mean safe and sane, then, yes, it is.

It's pretty much the opposite of log splitters like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

I love the idiot who screams like a coward St absolutely every opportunity and yet keeps going back for more. Is using a mail too hard or something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Safety, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

It gets weird for a few around 1:00 in.

The part that bothered me the most was the guy feeding in the roll of fiberglass insulation and it's just rubbing against his bare arm as it unrolls. Made me itch.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Uncle Enzo posted:

The tampons+pads make sense, that machine is what goes on the front end of a sewage plant and grinds up all the solids that people flushed. Can't have that stuff messing with the bacteria that do all the work.

I think it's more just that those are difficult to shred, so make a good demonstration of the machine.

Edit: the music is fantastic

Edit 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHyygU1cU0k

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 31, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Subjunctive posted:

You may well roux the day.
More people need to see this post.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

slomomofo posted:

That whole episode (and show) is non-stop :gonk:... later when they're climbing down into the drains to get buckets of raw sewage to mine for gold is pretty fantastically disgusting. Or the second episode where they show some ship breakers... yeah five or six guys die every week but such is life

My two India.txt stories.

We were there several years ago trying to sell helicopters to the Indian Air Force. We're up in Leh for high-altitude performance demos. The plan is, we're going to do a flight, land, keep the APU running, do a hot refuel (meaning the aircraft's still powered up, usually you don't do this if you can avoid it just for safety reasons), then do a second flight to pick up some sling loads. While they're refueling, I'm supposed to climb onboard, do a quick data download from our flight data recorder (just in case the worst happens during the sling load flight, and get off. This is all planned and briefed.

Here's what wasn't planned or briefed: First flight's over, pilots land, crew chief drops the ramp and waves me on board, I jump on board and grab the data. Then I turn around and see the aircraft packed full of Indians. The IAF ground crew had apparently told their families "Come to work today to see the American helicopter." They popped out out of nowhere and clambered on board. Wives, kids, wives holding their babies. While the APU is running and the fuel truck is pumping fuel into a powered-on helicopter. The crew chief was waving for them to get the gently caress off, but they either weren't understanding or just chose to ignore him, and they sure as poo poo couldn't hear him, because the auxiliary power unit is a loud-as-gently caress high-pitched whining 30,000rpm turbine that is pretty serious about telling you to wear some goddamned hearing protection. They of course had none, little kids in their mothers' arms were wincing and crying and putting their hands over there ears, the moms collectively failed to give a single gently caress. The pilots got out of the seats and managed to tell them to get the gently caress off the airplane.

I really think that's why you hear of some incident over there the casualty figures are staggering, far beyond the realm of normal expectation: When *anything* interesting or out of the ordinary happens, people crowd right the gently caress around it. I mean, yeah, people do that here too, rubbernecking at traffic accidents and such, but there, it's like self-preservation isn't even an instinct. You'll see things like oh, a truck wreck killed 1500 people, and you'll think "How the hell did so many people die because a truck flipped?" Well, because it was a tanker truck and it was leaking gas and everyone within earshot crowded right up next to it to see what was going on and then someone lit a cigarette.

Oh yeah, the second one. So at Leh, the one airport is both the civil air airfield and the military airport. The refueling for everything was handled by a private contractor, who had two trucks. One was the tanker truck to actually refuel things with, the other was a pickup for the guys to drive around to get lunch or go in and out. So the base military cops pulled over the guys driving the pickup truck, and wanted them to pay a fine for speeding. They wouldn't pay, so the cops impounded the truck. The contractor called the cops and informed him that until they released the truck, the tanker would sit there, parked, not refueling any aircraft, military or civilian, bringing the airport to a halt. They got their truck back.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 31, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I hope they named this the "Squirrel Purifier"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Please everyone, do the needful and post more india.txt stores :allears:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

It finally happened! A cellphone caused an explosion at a gas station:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQAkafSM1M

I don't know if this is caused by his cell phone or not, but dielectric heating with a radio is a real thing.

I've never seen it with a radio as small as a cell phone, but I have seen it (and felt it!) occur with other portable radios. With millions of cellphones and uncountable parts in fuel/fueling systems the chance of something being on the right frequency, or harmonic, is quite possible.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uncountable parts? the fuel system on that bike has about 5 parts.

I want to say a static spark or the hot exhaust manifold are much more likely.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jamal posted:

I want to say a static spark or the hot exhaust manifold are much more likely.

The news story said it was a spark from when he put his phone down on his gas tank, apparently.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jamal posted:

I'm talking from a OSHA standpoint. How many parts are in the fuel systems of everything that uses fuel? How many parts are in the fueling systems?

And I seriously doubt there are 5 parts in that fueling system. There are pins, washers, screws, etc to account for too.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yeah it definitely seems more likely that a part or two in the fuel system resonate perfectly with some EMR than for some gas vapors to have been ignited by a spark guys.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Whatever that puff is, it is where the fire is ignited.

Its underneath the fuel tank by the exhaust, no where near his cell phone.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmcD3aM8X4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That guy's got some reflexes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Yeah it definitely seems more likely that a part or two in the fuel system resonate perfectly with some EMR than for some gas vapors to have been ignited by a spark guys.

Yep. Glad you see it.

This looks really good and safe:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

I mean, its like track lighting I guess. Oh I guess it fucks up polarized plugs.

The smugness of that inspector (and the fact the guy made it) makes me so happy.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2015

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

That thing had better have a ridiculous OCPD in it, or else someone is going to try and plug in their vacuum, tv, box fan, and space heater all in one and burn their house down. It also doesn't really solve the problem of the fuckoff huge power bricks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You just know people will rip the ground prong off plugs to be able to use something like that. A product that shouldn't exist.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

You just know people will rip the ground prong off plugs to be able to use something like that. A product that shouldn't exist.

Hey now, ground lifts are totally legit and tingly.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, its like track lighting I guess. Oh I guess it fucks up polarized plugs.

Get on my level son!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Get on my level son!

Obviously its not childproofable, but that's not the biggest problem with that dumb idea.

I was thinking about ways it was fundamentally worse than this:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Ah, yes, the central component of any carefully planned insurance fraud.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
this weeks Chinese chemical plant explosion courtesy of Dongying

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOUvNEPK2A

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Willfrey posted:

this weeks Chinese chemical plant explosion courtesy of Dongying

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOUvNEPK2A

That's a video from the Tianjin explosion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Royal W posted:

That thing had better have a ridiculous OCPD in it, or else someone is going to try and plug in their vacuum, tv, box fan, and space heater all in one and burn their house down. It also doesn't really solve the problem of the fuckoff huge power bricks.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Not about childproofing or anything, just the fact that you can fit DOZENS of devices onto that ring.

Reminds me of the post a few pages back of someone taking the 6-socket faceplate off an outlet and discovering it was just a single outlet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

That thing is loving huge

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

I wonder how many knives and forks can be wedged in there.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a video from the Tianjin explosion.

Ah probably just used that as clickbait then, nevertheless there has been another explosion

https://beta.grasswire.com/story/200/china-explosion

yep, vid was wrong, apparently this one was in an actual industrial zone so there won't be as many videos.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 1, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Catch a Contractor is a hilarious show that fits right in with this thread, so if you're reading this you should watch it. It's suffers from a bit of reality TV crap but you get great stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8BSa82Q41M

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Catch a Contractor is a hilarious show that fits right in with this thread, so if you're reading this you should watch it. It's suffers from a bit of reality TV crap but you get great stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8BSa82Q41M

It all seems super fake to me. But if it isnt, that's awesome.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Professor of Cats posted:

It all seems super fake to me. But if it isnt, that's awesome.

Bad contractors are real, very real.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

I remember something like this from when I was a kid, only it was a long strip. Used to blow fuses all the time when too many things were plugged into it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

HA HA FUCKO! Gotta go to jail now!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The emergency lights were flashing - not OSHA. Probably just a guy in a hurry to get to the hospital.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
rename thread to faces of osha death since people don't know what osha is or faces of death but mixed the two

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do It Once Right posted:

The emergency lights were flashing - not OSHA. Probably just a guy in a hurry to get to the hospital.

Nope, that was a police chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Does the SUV land on the driver's head at the end? Or is that an insanely close call.

• Locked thread