Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
FEAR was pretty decent at atmosphere but one of its scares is literally a skeleton jumping out from a hallway of blood at the camera. It's astounding that the developers that thought that was a good idea went on to make Condemned.

FEAR and Condemned are both good games though, just in very different ways. Fuhthreer is a cringeworthy imitation of the series with probably one of the dumbest plots (and ways of delivering that plot) I've seen in games in a very long time, and, y'know, most games still don't have the best stories or storytelling. It's absolutely a game that's fun with friends because the poorly thought-out mechanics are just dumb enough to be fun, and you get to laugh at the utterly braindead cutscenes and hilarious ending that tallies up your scores to determine which ending you get. Real shame that that and Fear Online have killed the franchise p much for good, tho, would have loved to see Monolith return to it.

They should also get to return to NOLF but the world is poo poo and it hates us all so that will never happen either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part about FEAR's "scary" parts is that you can be looking in the wrong direction and miss all of them. Or you can just try to bicycle kick the spooky ghosts, whatever. The FEAR series is great. Too bad about FEAR Online though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hey Germany goons, can we activate a Lucius key here without proxy server VPN trickery?
What happens when you activate a gifted US copy of Fallout 3 GOTY, will it revert to our crappy censored one?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

General Emergency posted:

Some cool stuff on the Humble Bundle sale. Namely Devolver Digital "Build a bundle" thingie. 90% off of 5 games so like 5bux for stuff like Ronin, Not a Hero, Titan Souls and Duke 3D.

I'd recommend Not a Hero. I mean skip the mission briefings as I find that writing a bit tedious but the characters and their voices are great and the combat is enjoyable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Evolve is getting a free weekend this weekend. This one's a little weird - the first day will have the pre-order monster and the first Hunting Season Pack unlocked for 24 hours, the second will have Hunting Season Two unlocked instead. You probably shouldn't buy it, but at least you can rubberneck if you don't have a download cap.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RBA Starblade posted:

The best part about FEAR's "scary" parts is that you can be looking in the wrong direction and miss all of them. Or you can just try to bicycle kick the spooky ghosts, whatever. The FEAR series is great. Too bad about FEAR Online though.

I feared nothing in FEAR once I got my hands on that shotgun. :swoon:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

sauer kraut posted:

Hey Germany goons, can we activate a Lucius key here without proxy server VPN trickery?
What happens when you activate a gifted US copy of Fallout 3 GOTY, will it revert to our crappy censored one?

Isn't there a mod to uncensor Fallout 3? I remember hearing about it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hoven the Sages Spinel looking good, anyone try it?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Hoven the Sages Spinel looking good, anyone try it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Geokinesis posted:

I'd recommend Not a Hero. I mean skip the mission briefings as I find that writing a bit tedious but the characters and their voices are great and the combat is enjoyable.

I'd recommend it, but with the caveat that I and several others ran into a glitch in the second to last level where your character will die after a drop even if you've done the thing that's supposed to let them survive. Last I checked there was no real fix for it, so you might not be able to beat the game if you're unlucky. It's still a fun game but that soured me on it since I did all the bonus objectives in the levels before that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Neigh

Wendell
May 11, 2003

How did that get on Steam?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Outside of the jump scares, the FEAR games are just extremely generic shooters. I wasn't really impressed with either the first or the second one, so I'm vary of picking up the third.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't there going to be a second Defender's Quest?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azran posted:

Yes. I believe it's coming at the end of the year. They will also change the art of the first one at some point (with an option to revert for those who prefer the old look).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Wendell posted:

How did that get on Steam?

Are you implying steam has quality control? I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of inventory-stealing malware yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Azran posted:

Can't loving wait.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Are you implying steam has quality control? I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of inventory-stealing malware yet.

Oh, there probably is, just nobody bought it yet. That's the beauty of opening the flood gates -- there's so much poo poo coming non-stop people don't buy most of it anymore.

I'm sure those two developers who kept whining about Greenlight on Gamasutra are really happy their games sold like 100 copies. :thumbsup:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Broken Cog posted:

Outside of the jump scares, the FEAR games are just extremely generic shooters. I wasn't really impressed with either the first or the second one, so I'm vary of picking up the third.

No they aren't. You can jump-kick people in them, and all first-person shooters where you can jump kick have historically been good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Grammer Neighzi.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

But Greenlight still exists...I don't understand what Steam is doing at all.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Wendell posted:

But Greenlight still exists...I don't understand what Steam is doing at all.

Take a trip through greenlightupdates.com sometimes. I'm partial to the Football/ Mafia MMO, or the Life Cycle of Malaria ("Play from the perspective of the antagonist, the - Anopheles mosquito - and the - Plasmodium parasite"), or Massive Cleavage vs Zombies ("Your mission is to find BBQ sauce for your people and bring it back to them. Fighting off thousands of zombies with only your massive cleaver and equally massive cleavage.").

It's a whole new world out there!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wow, I don't remember Fear 1 looking this bad. It's almost Counter Strike classic levels of graphics. Boy does Alma look bad.
And yeesh these jumpscares are almost Newgrounds level. I'm pretty sure the screen just flashed a picture of a skeleton for no reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

That's what I remember of the first FEAR game, which felt so bland that I didn't bother finishing it or getting the sequel

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HGH posted:

Wow, I don't remember Fear 1 looking this bad. It's almost Counter Strike classic levels of graphics. Boy does Alma look bad.
And yeesh these jumpscares are almost Newgrounds level. I'm pretty sure the screen just flashed a picture of a skeleton for no reason.

Actually, the most outdated, cringe-inducing part of FEAR is the shady manchild programmer character who's a cross between Eric Cartman and Dennis Nedry.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You people can keep harping on about how jump kick jump kick guy saying gently caress when close to a grenade but the fact of the matter is that you're going through grey hallways shooting boring hitscan guns at military guys and the jump kick is awkward as hell to pull off.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Colonel posted:

No they aren't. You can jump-kick people in them, and all first-person shooters where you can jump kick have historically been good.
Does Bulletstorm qualify?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what happened to brigador? its former listing in my wishlist no longer has a name and clicking it goes to the store main page. had to pull up the app id in steamdb to even see what it was.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Awesome! posted:

what happened to brigador? its former listing in my wishlist no longer has a name and clicking it goes to the store main page. had to pull up the app id in steamdb to even see what it was.

Their last status update explained that they're going to launch into Early Access on October 20th, and before anyone freaks the gently caress out they go into detail why.

quote:

The plan is for EA to be almost entirely for fleshing out content and polishing / reacting to input from a larger audience. Latest you can release as a non-AAA is end of October, and if you miss that window then you need to hold off until the end of February; anywhere between that is suicide. So for us the choices were to either sit on the game until March and keep working in isolation, ship as a full release in October being short on content and polish, or go EA. After a very long chat on the team side as well as getting advice from some more experienced devs we decided to go the EA route. Hope to see you all in the forums come release day!

My guess is that they had to remove the old store page to re-brand as Early Access, but you can still pre-order from their website for $15.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Would be more reassuring if it wasn't now gone from my owned games list too!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm trying to organize my gale library with Depressurize. But, I can't figure out where the actual program is to run it int he zip file I found. Can I get some help here? Or can someone recommend a better Steam Organization tool?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

-"Grammar editing is a service you really should be paying for."

-[Banned]

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Carecat posted:

Would be more reassuring if it wasn't now gone from my owned games list too!

weird. id be curious for an update when you figure out whats going on

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So it's probably been asked before, but what's the go to program now that Hola is not really something to use?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Niggurath posted:

So it's probably been asked before, but what's the go to program now that Hola is not really something to use?

It's still Hola, you just reinstall/uninstall every time.

Bit of a pain.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

It's still Hola, you just reinstall/uninstall every time.

Bit of a pain.

Personally, I just have it installed as an extension on a browser I don't use (Hola's on Chrome, and I use Firefox for everything else). Or does it still do all its nonsense even then?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Huh, Mad Max movies are coming to steam.

https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=Mad+Max

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

smenj posted:

Personally, I just have it installed as an extension on a browser I don't use (Hola's on Chrome, and I use Firefox for everything else). Or does it still do all its nonsense even then?

Reports were that it was still using your bandwidth while Chrome's not even open, so uninstallation is necessary.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

havenwaters posted:

Huh, Mad Max movies are coming to steam.

https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=Mad+Max

does Valve actually employ any product managers to steer the ship or is every decision just made via Gabe Newell's decrees from atop a throne of money and knives

Who on earth is buying movies on Steam. How is this a good use of anyone's time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It probably takes them all of 30 minutes to get them up on Steam, so why not I guess.

• Locked thread