Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've been using skytweaks to slow down leveling on my new playthrough. I've been adjusting dials and everything was going fine, but now I can't hit level 10. I get my last skillup, the bar resets, I get the cool level up shouting thing, and the game popups up ever few minutes that I should open the skillmenu to level up. Except the skill menu just says skills, and not level up, and when opening it, I don't get to choose health/stam/magic, and I don't have a skill point. I haven't adjusted skytweaks in a few levels before then, and going in and fiddling with things doesn't seem to fix it either. Any ideas?

I've had trouble with SkyTweaks settings reverting to default on game load. A half-filled level up bar from the night before is a completely stuffed one on the tiny standard settings.

Hike the numbers, the bar should shorten accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Enjoy the free modding while you can, if VKSE/EKSE/whatever goes behind paywall because Bethesda says so then I predict pretty short lifecycle by TES standards. It's like they learned nothing from that fiasco, but that's to be expected.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I was looking around at some other house mods out of curiosity, and jesus Halls of Dovahndor is amazing. I can barely comprehend how someone actually pieced that together in the CK.

I mean its way too loving big for like an actual player home, but it's really, really cool. Shame he hasn't touched it in years.

I've been playing around with some ideas for how to make the garden interesting, and I think I'm going to go with adding some type of portal area, I can use it for the greenhouse first, but it lets me add major town portals too if I feel like it later on.

Here's a space I was playing with for the greenhouse, using the Sovngarde sky box. It's kind of weird and celestial, but I think it's at least more interesting then just a room filled with planters. I'm gonna play with the flora a bunch too, see if I can't make it feel alive.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 29, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

scamtank posted:

I've had trouble with SkyTweaks settings reverting to default on game load. A half-filled level up bar from the night before is a completely stuffed one on the tiny standard settings.

Hike the numbers, the bar should shorten accordingly.

Apparently if you adjust the numbers mid level, the progress bar (and the 'hey, you leveled up' message) do not adjust accordingly, however they reset once you actually level up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hey, that looks awesome. Are you going to include empty planters as well?

Town portals seem like a bit much, in my opinion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GuyUpNorth posted:

Enjoy the free modding while you can, if VKSE/EKSE/whatever goes behind paywall because Bethesda says so then I predict pretty short lifecycle by TES standards. It's like they learned nothing from that fiasco, but that's to be expected.

I predict that this prediction will be another in the long list of forgotten and wrong predictions.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Why would Bethesda be sad about a shorter lifespan? Kill that poo poo off faster and move on to the next $60 AAA title.

Real question: What ever became of Sims modding? I remember looking up it forever ago for like the first or second game, seeing that every couch and outfit and whatever was .99 cents, laughing as I realized it wasn't a joke, and never to thinking about it again until now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why would Bethesda be sad about a shorter lifespan? Kill that poo poo off faster and move on to the next $60 AAA title.

That's really not how they operate. They release a game, release about 4 DLCs over the course of a year, and then go back in their hidey hole for 3-5 years.

There's not really any evidence that a long tail hurts them either (they sell boatloads on all platforms).

quote:

Real question: What ever became of Sims modding? I remember looking up it forever ago for like the first or second game, seeing that every couch and outfit and whatever was .99 cents, laughing as I realized it wasn't a joke, and never to thinking about it again until now.

It exists.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
So I recently built a new PC and decided to heavily mod Skyrim now that I'm finally able, ended up with a relatively long list of mods and stability never seemed to be an issue, however now that I'm about 4 hours in I keep experiencing CTDs at random intervals/scenarios. I'm just wondering what the best way to diagnose the problem would be so that I can try to make the game more stable. 0 error messages and I'm not sure if CTDs dump a crash log that I'm not aware of that I can use to troubleshoot.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Korhal posted:

So I recently built a new PC and decided to heavily mod Skyrim now that I'm finally able, ended up with a relatively long list of mods and stability never seemed to be an issue, however now that I'm about 4 hours in I keep experiencing CTDs at random intervals/scenarios. I'm just wondering what the best way to diagnose the problem would be so that I can try to make the game more stable. 0 error messages and I'm not sure if CTDs dump a crash log that I'm not aware of that I can use to troubleshoot.

Nope. You have ENBoost and the SKSE memory fix enabled?

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.

Agents are GO! posted:

Nope. You have ENBoost and the SKSE memory fix enabled?

I didn't read anything about EN Boost in the OP so I didn't know about it at all, after a little googling it is installed and my game seems to be significantly more stable. Thanks for the help.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a mod to replace Sonir, the Windstead Manor bard with a bard who understand the concept of tone, or pitch? Whoever thought this aural travesty was a good idea has been watching too much American Idol.

It really says something about the Nexus when I can find a "Haha, Sonir's voice is so terrible so I made her really sexy to try and offset it" mod, but no actual mod that changes her voice.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I believe there's one that makes the Hearthfire bards only play instrumental versions of their songs.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agents are GO! posted:

I believe there's one that makes the Hearthfire bards only play instrumental versions of their songs.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it works on all the bards and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 31, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, that looks awesome. Are you going to include empty planters as well?

Town portals seem like a bit much, in my opinion.

Yeah, 30 soil plots. Also a few flowers and a small pond thing with some spawners. Couldn't do the fish hatchery because it doesn't work in an area this compact. I reduced the dimensions of the room so basically what you can see is the whole thing.

There is a portal thing as the door, but it's really compact and basically just a door without using a door right now. It actually took more effort then it should've to make work well, so for now I'm going to leave it. No town portals or anything though.

Starting to hit that point where my creativity is falling off hard, so this will probably be the last change I make for a bit.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 31, 2015

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GuyUpNorth posted:

The only thing Bethesda learned is that Valve can't be trusted to not pussy out, hence the not-battle.net platform they unveiled a while back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not too worried about paid mods for 2 reasons.
1) I really doubt the SKSE people will ever put their stuff behind a pay wall, though they'd likely let people who need it to put their own stuff behind one
2) Most people won't pay for mods, and most of the best mod makers care more about people using their mods than some incredibly tiny paycheck. Take the most popular mod, divide the number of people using it by 500, and that's an incredibly generous estimate of the number of people willing to pay a dollar for the mod. And the mod maker is only going to get 30 cents of each of those dollars. Given the poo poo people gleefully produce for free, and the fact that a lot of the biggest mods use stuff other people made, I don't see how it's going to work.

Seriously, the majority of paid mods will be single items, minor texture packs and cheat menus. And very few people will buy them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know, mod makers rarely miss an opportunity to completely lose their poo poo over something dumb. As someone who has played Technic/Tekkit almost since the beginning I except them to find a way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't know, mod makers rarely miss an opportunity to completely lose their poo poo over something dumb. As someone who has played Technic/Tekkit almost since the beginning I except them to find a way.

The whole thing is going to open up so many legal questions Bethesda hasn't even thought about it's either going to completely destroy the pay mod market via lawsuits, or Bethesda will step n and destroy it themselves.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
One of the biggest legal issues will be copyright. One theoretical way around it is to transfer all copyright to Bethesda if you sell your mod, but that may open Bethesda to copyright suits from legitimate rights holders. E.g. When someone uses art assets from another game.

Crowd-sourced derived creativity seems to be very tricky with modern copyright.

Edit: loving auto-correct.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 31, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What's the point of putting a toilet in my house if I don't have the proper toilet paper?

(Other options will be Thalmor and Markarth.)

gently caress the Stormcloaks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

One of the biggest legal issues will be copyright. One theoretical way around it is to transfer all copyright to Bethesda if you sell your mod, but that may open Bethesda to copyright suits from legitimate rights holders. E.g. When someone uses art assets from another game.

Crowd-sourced derived creativity seems to be very tricky with modern copyright.

Edit: loving auto-correct.

I think the creation kit EULA already says "Bethesda owns everything you make" whether or not that holds up in court has never been tested though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Agents are GO! posted:

What's the point of putting a toilet in my house if I don't have the proper toilet paper?

(Other options will be Thalmor and Markarth.)

This just makes all kinds of sense, but what's Spellbreaker doing there?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Emergency chamber pot for when the toilet backs up. Maybe next time, Peryite will give me a shield that isn't concave! :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Oh, that's just a screenshot I'm using as a placeholder to test that picture frame resource mesh.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any new big mods that have come out since the whole paid mod debacle? Remodding my Skyrim right now because I hate myself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Question for mod authors: what exactly does the "Gravity" value for Projectiles do? Searching around I understand that it alters how gravity affects the arrow in flight, but not how. At the moment I am assuming that lower = less effect based on looking at how Arrow and Bolt Tweaks does this. However, ABT both increases the speed and lowers the gravity effect, which makes me wonder if lower = more effect, in this case to "offset" the increased speed. What I would like to do is make certain kinds of arrows fly more slowly and hit the ground sooner, basically making them shorter ranged. Although now that I am thinking of it, the ideal would be for the bow to affect this, but I am really not at all sure how to alter projectile behavior depending on what bow is firing it. Hm. Is that even possible?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

Question for mod authors: what exactly does the "Gravity" value for Projectiles do? Searching around I understand that it alters how gravity affects the arrow in flight, but not how. At the moment I am assuming that lower = less effect based on looking at how Arrow and Bolt Tweaks does this. However, ABT both increases the speed and lowers the gravity effect, which makes me wonder if lower = more effect, in this case to "offset" the increased speed. What I would like to do is make certain kinds of arrows fly more slowly and hit the ground sooner, basically making them shorter ranged. Although now that I am thinking of it, the ideal would be for the bow to affect this, but I am really not at all sure how to alter projectile behavior depending on what bow is firing it. Hm. Is that even possible?

Bows have a draw time you can modify, but I can't remember anything to do with force from a glance.

Speed and gravity should do two similar but different things: speed will be forward velocity and gravity will be ...gravity. I'd recommend playing with speed until you get travel time where you want it at a long target, then play with gravity until you feel the drop over that distance is good.

I'm going to assume it's all done by projectile from what I've seen though, so the bow thing may not be possible. It's totally worth a look though. Skyline Realistic Archery changes the draw time on every now, which is a good starting point for you if you just want all the bows sorted out in an .esp to play with.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mazz posted:

Bows have a draw time you can modify, but I can't remember anything to do with force from a glance.

Speed and gravity should do two similar but different things: speed will be forward velocity and gravity will be ...gravity. I'd recommend playing with speed until you get travel time where you want it at a long target, then play with gravity until you feel the drop over that distance is good.

I'm going to assume it's all done by projectile from what I've seen though, so the bow thing may not be possible. It's totally worth a look though. Skyline Realistic Archery changes the draw time on every now, which is a good starting point for you if you just want all the bows sorted out in an .esp to play with.

I'll take a look at Skyrim Realistic Archery, thanks!

While I will keep looking for something that can link bows and projectile behavior, I might end up just doing what my major inspiration did. What I'm basically trying to do is make an updated and "streamlined" implementation of ACE Combat Archery. Few Archery tree perk changes, mostly everything done with a single perk that gets added by a script and checks for various bow-related attack scenarios, minimal equipment chances (only where absolutely needed). That mod was one of the ones that split regular bows into "light" and "heavy" bows (based on the material used to make the bow) with different behavior. The author made it so that players had an incentive to match bow type with appropriate arrow type by granting various bonuses when they matched and penalties when they did not. That might be the best possibly thing for now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Archery Gameplay Overhaul was recently released and it is a pretty good archery overhaul. I use it together with Nock 2 Tip and Reasonable Reloading to overhaul ranged gameplay.

The only thing I'd really like to see is a perk overhaul that was SPERG/Morrowloot compatible and has Short/Long/Greatbows with different traits and so on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, I'm pretty sure my graphics card just took a poo poo. I was sinking around in the CK, my monitor went to no signal, and there's a lengthy beep that comes from my graphics card every time I power on my PC.

gently caress, I do not have money to replace it right now, so my mod may well be on semipermanent hold. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think we can wait a while for proper Skyrim toilets.

I have a mod request: A while back, someone posted a mod where you could use different materials in your smithing, but keep the design, so that you could have an Iron Sword made from Malachite, or a Daedric Sword made from Stahlrim. What was that mod called?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I think we can wait a while for proper Skyrim toilets.

I have a mod request: A while back, someone posted a mod where you could use different materials in your smithing, but keep the design, so that you could have an Iron Sword made from Malachite, or a Daedric Sword made from Stahlrim. What was that mod called?

Armoury of Tamriel. It also includes armors now, although for me at least, several armor crafting recipes don't appear when they should. I don't know if it's a compatibility thing with SPERG, a problem with the mod itself, or some kind of screwup on my part. Regardless, you can still get the armors with the console or the AddItemMenu mod, and their tempering recipes work.

Edit: I should probably mention that the version on the Nexus only includes weapons. Version 2, which has the armors, can be found here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1502549-relz-armoury-of-tamriel-v2-finally-released/

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 1, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Forsworn are probably my favorite faction in Skyrim; not that I root for them, more like I think they're compelling bad guys. The idea of a mysterious culture of evil and ancient magic is cool. I think their whole aesthetic is neat and there are some good quests related to them. That's one of the reasons I went all-out modding Cidhna Mine.

As such, when I feel like tinkering with mesh/texture editing software and learning new systems in the Creation Kit, I tend to tinker with this mod I made a while back that makes it so some of the Forsworn Briarhearts are women. It started as a technical exercise and ended up spinning off into a pretty cool standalone follower mod. Whether it's the least bit lore-friendly is kinda debatable, since the role of Briarhearts in that society is left mostly to the imagination. Are they respected spiritual leaders, or mindless thralls to the Hagravens? Is there a reason they only perform this weird surgery on dudes? In any case, my reason for doing this was "for the hell of it" and nothing more or less. I used the resources I had in front of me, which was tittys. :nexus:

The reason I'm bringing all this up is that I quietly continued this tinkering for several months, and now I put out a huge update with a million different options for both versions of the mod. I taught myself all kinds of new tricks, and now it has a unique crafting system where you can gather spooky black-magic ingredients and take them to a Hagraven altar and "craft" a Briarheart body. It works for male or female characters, but texture seams can be a bit of an issue.

I also boned up on my Nifskope skills by making the briar hearts "beat" with a pulsing glow effect:

Note how pimpin' that glow map is, with the core lighting up and the leaves in shadow. Hand-drawn!

I have optional, stand-alone downloads that apply this effect to the standard male Briarheart body and to the "briar heart" clutter item.

I also redirected the specular and subsurface texture maps on the male Briarheart bodies to the default male texture paths. This cuts down on visible seams if you use any kind of skin texture replacer, by at least evening out how it reflects light. Briarheart bodies use a unique texture path, and I don't think I've ever seen a skin texture mod that bothered to include compatible textures for that armor set. I just make my own texture patches with GIMP, but I don't want to jump through the hoops for permission to share them. At least with these meshes the seams will look smoother for other people.

Whether or not any of you are interested in gender equality among creepy undead sorcerers, a macabre follower, or any of the weird crafting poo poo, I thought you might at least want to know about this glow effect, because it took me days to get it working and it's loving badass to see in the game. You won't see any of this on the front page or anything, since it's buried in an update to this weird, obscure old mod that not a lot of people know or care about.

I bet if I put it out as a separate "glowing briar hearts" mod it would go over pretty well, but I already packaged and released enough versions of this drat thing. At least you goons get a heads-up. Enjoy.

Oh, P.S., you don't need a plugin for any of the glow stuff to work, but you do need a couple of custom textures. They're packaged with the male meshes and all the full versions of the mod, but not with the clutter item.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 3, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Both mods are invisible due to adult content. I don't know how it looks, but I like it already.

For you Conjuration peeps out there; I really recommend the True Bound Armor mod. No pics due to phoneposting, but maybe later. It's currently hidden on Nexus for some strange reason, but I can throw it up if there's demand.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Both mods are invisible due to adult content. I don't know how it looks, but I like it already.

For you Conjuration peeps out there; I really recommend the True Bound Armor mod. No pics due to phoneposting, but maybe later. It's currently hidden on Nexus for some strange reason, but I can throw it up if there's demand.

There's demand.

Gimme.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Alright, if you insist.

Clicky

E: No pics since my computer's being a horse's rear end.

Review: The armor looks blue, swirly and ghostly. There are two variants: Heavy Armor (greaves, gloves, pauldrons and a breastplate with skirt plates), which gives you 54 armor points; and Mage Armor (chainmail bodysuit with the same pauldrons, gloves and boots, and also some hip-plates), which gives you 105 armor points. The armor also bestows a Fortify Magicka and Magicka Regeneration bonus.

8/10, would conjure again.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 3, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The admins over there are not known for being easy-going, so anything that has a hint of not being squeaky clean has to be "adult." I flagged my last stupid mod as adult just because I really wanted to do some casual swearing in the description and the image captions without getting banned. All it does is add some drunk guards around the Honningbrew Meadery. In the case of the Briarheart mod, the characters have clothes on by default, but it's possible to remove them, thus it is "adult." That filter is gonna catch a lot of stuff that isn't out-and-out obscene, so it's usually good to relax your settings if you really want to mod like you mean it. Some people here have an attitude like "what kind of sick freak would ever look at a boob" but I'm really OK with my Skyrim having sort of a Conan the Barbarian vibe where it's R-rated without being pornographic or, you know, stupid. I'm an artist, drat it, and bodies do not scare me.

Anyway, politics aside, I can at least post some images of the female Briarhearts for those of you without immediate Nexus access:

One of the villains. The mod comes with all the custom textures of the darkened Forsworn clothes and the colorful headdress.

This is what the follower looks like. She has a custom copy of the same outfit that can be tempered / enchanted. Your basic generic follower but I think she's pretty cool-looking.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Are there any fun unarmed mods that play nice with SPERG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Have any of you encountered double vision bugs in skyrim?

Ive been playing for over fifteen hours and suddenly in the middle of play everything is doubled up like I've been smacked on the head.

It's only in world though, all menus and loading screens appear as normal.

• Locked thread