Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Could someone humour me and explain how the gently caress multiplayer is supposed to work in this incredibly single player focused game. I haven't tried it but have been temped. Don't have PS Plus as of yet so not going to throw away money for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ThomasPaine posted:

Could someone humour me and explain how the gently caress multiplayer is supposed to work in this incredibly single player focused game. I haven't tried it but have been temped. Don't have PS Plus as of yet so not going to throw away money for nothing.

You work with one of a number of characters that have their own trees of mixed skills and run through with random teams through a handful of areas fighting one of the three main enemy factions.

BrianWilly posted:

I find it interesting that it might be possible for you to outright disband the Inquisition. I always thought that it just went without saying that the Inquisition is now a fixture of the DA storyline going forward, that it might play a part or even be pivotal to the next game of the series, that the DA4 protagonist would be off doing their thing and occasionally be like, "Hey how's that Inquisition doing by the way? Same old same old?" It honestly never occurred to me that they might allow for a worldstate where the Inquisition just...stopped.

Or, well, who knows, maybe they won't give you that option. Or maybe they will, except it'll just be retconned in the next game, or it'll amount to nothing. :v: It's hard to imagine that a Thedas with an ongoing Inquisition and a Thedas without one could possibly be the same "world."

Something else I noticed was that some of the qunari enemies are outright using spears and lances and other polearms. I doubt we'll get a whole new weapon category in this game, but maybe for the sequel? Or for multi-player?

Mother Gissel hinted at this possibility when she mentioned that the original Inquisition knew when to "lay down their swords". You also can repeatedly express misgivings about the sheer amount of power the Inquisition is building up after watching so many similar organizations fall from grace after losing their way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's a real time version of the single player experience, largely. You hot key four abilities, then go through five stages in a match. Each stage is randomly selected at map creation based on what type you selected/joined. The fifth stage is always a boss arena. You can go down three times before you die, though I'm pretty sure you get a free life back after every stage is beaten.

After you beat a map, you get the loot your team collected, including money, weapons, armor and XP. XP is specific to the class you were playing. Each character has their own unique pair of trees for you to level up. Weapons can be shared between classes, but armor is class specific (ie any mage can use your best staff, but the arcane warrior armor is only for arcane warriors).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Geostomp posted:

Mother Gissel hinted at this possibility when she mentioned that the original Inquisition knew when to "lay down their swords". You also can repeatedly express misgivings about the sheer amount of power the Inquisition is building up after watching so many similar organizations fall from grace after losing their way.

Yeah, the immediate challenge for the Inquisitor right now is regardless of whether she's ready to step down or not, people who feel threatened by her existence are coming for her, and she needs the Inquisition to not die. Maybe once you sit all those jerks back down, you can finally hang up your hat.

Edit: They said in that interview linked earlier that if you didn't, for example, resolve Cole's quest he's simply not going to be around because he wasn't needed and didn't have a strong enough connection to the Inquisition, and you can bring back whoever you sent off to be Divine. I hope there's lots of feedback for how companions can play out--I'd love to hear what a Dorian you punched in the face thinks about the Inquisitor's new predicament. One of my favorite parts of DA2 was having to fight companions who didn't like me anymore.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 31, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

Edit: They said in that interview linked earlier that if you didn't, for example, resolve Cole's quest he's simply not going to be around because he wasn't needed and didn't have a strong enough connection to the Inquisition, and you can bring back whoever you sent off to be Divine. I hope there's lots of feedback for how companions can play out--I'd love to hear what a Dorian you punched in the face thinks about the Inquisitor's new predicament. One of my favorite parts of DA2 was having to fight companions who didn't like me anymore.

Oh that does sound good. I probably won't play it with the Inquisitor who buddied up to Vivienne until she asked a favour... and then stabbed her in the back. She still likes me though so I wonder how that would play out.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Which, imo, is a complete lie as you learn the Inquisition never really "laid down their swords," they just used their swords for the Chantry as the Seekers and Templars.

Lotish posted:

They said in that interview linked earlier that if you didn't, for example, resolve Cole's quest he's simply not going to be around because he wasn't needed and didn't have a strong enough connection to the Inquisition, and you can bring back whoever you sent off to be Divine. I hope there's lots of feedback for how companions can play out--I'd love to hear what a Dorian you punched in the face thinks about the Inquisitor's new predicament. One of my favorite parts of DA2 was having to fight companions who didn't like me anymore.

I know I sacrificed the Chargers and reinforced Iron Bull's loyalty to the Qun for an alliance, ironically because I had hoped an alliance would have prevented something like Trespasser from happening. It's going to be really interesting if I have to fight him.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SgtSteel91 posted:

Which, imo, is a complete lie as you learn the Inquisition never really "laid down their swords," they just used their swords for the Chantry as the Seekers and Templars.

I know I sacrificed the Chargers and reinforced Iron Bull's loyalty to the Qun for an alliance, ironically because I had hoped an alliance would have prevented something like Trespasser from happening. It's going to be really interesting if I have to fight him.

really though the Qunari never had any intention of honoring that deal beyond the moment all the breaches were closed

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SgtSteel91 posted:

I would be heart broken. :(

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dienes posted:

I would be heart broken. :(

What if as he lays dying, his last words are horns up?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I would not be surprised if at least one of the companions/ LIs doesn't make it out of this DLC alive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
gently caress, I just realize that I sacrificed the chargers in my main playthrough as well :(

Do you think we get any new companions? I think I understand why they brought up Cassandra as the Divine joining you, because it would otherwise look pretty grim on the warrior front. Blackwall may be unavailable, and depending on how the story with Bull plays out, Cassandra might be the only warrior left.

Likewise with the mages: Don't recruit Vivienne, punch Dorian, and Solas leaves on his own after the main quest. You could run around with only Cassandra, Varric and your own character, who may even be a rogue himself!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BrianWilly posted:

Here's a pretty great interview that details some tidbits about what we can expect from this. It seems that there's a much bigger focus on followers.

But here is the absolute most important part of the entire interview and DLC.
:anime: It's...it's so beautiful.
This is pretty loving aces all around. When I finish up the LP I probably won't touch it for a good long while, but it's nice to know there will be a reason to.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Well this news is really pushing me towards getting a PS4 earlier than anticipated. Hopefully I can find one on the cheap.

It's also making me regret abandoning my Solas-loving Elfquisitor early on, though they could just pull a Witch Hunt and have that only change three lines of dialogue in the last five minutes of the DLC.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
30 bits of blackmail in wicked eyes and wicked hearts is a huge amount. I have no idea how anyone could be bothered getting it all. I searched absolutely everywhere and managed 9 halla figurines and only 17 blackmail items

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Eavesdropping counts too. New intel spawns after you come back from the servants' quarters so do another circuit. And there's some intel in the royal wing, you just leave before going outside and turn it in, then go finish it up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i did that a bunch and found as much as I could realistically find and still ended up at 17. You must have to spend forever to hit 30

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The eavesdropping mechanic is the worst because it's only a *chance*. So you have to make a circuit out of all the available ones and just keep running back and forth until you get evidence from each one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Geostomp posted:

Yeah but Mother Giselle said a lot of things I didn't listen to. :xd:

And I figured she was talking about this being decades and decades down the line when everyone was old and grey and couldn't be arsed anymore! Not, like, two years into our run.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thor-Stryker posted:

The eavesdropping mechanic is the worst because it's only a *chance*. So you have to make a circuit out of all the available ones and just keep running back and forth until you get evidence from each one.
Actually just walk 5 feet away then go right back. Much faster that way.

Jose posted:

i did that a bunch and found as much as I could realistically find and still ended up at 17. You must have to spend forever to hit 30
Not at all, but it sure as poo poo helps to know where they are. How much you find out can affect the choice you get at the end so if you care use a walkthrough (I got everything in my LP if you're bored and have a couple hours to kill or just use a text version). I understand a lot of people don't like the mechanic but it never bothered me :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't mind the mechanic but 30 is way too high. If the eavesdropping had a far bigger range maybe it would not be so poo poo but I don't want to reload each area a million times for it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm really looking forward to that game. Might just have to create a new character again since I'm not playing anything else right now.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
MotherFUCKER

I had it goons, I finally had it...this playthrough, which is probably the 30th or more time I've re-rolled after hours of playing, was the definitive walkthrough. I hit lvl20 on a baller male mage, wrecking dragons left and right, meticulously crafting weapons and armor and building influence like a boss, determined to do absolutely everything I can and grind out everything before advancing the story and finishing the game.

Then, THEN, I watch the Trespasser trailer...and I want to re-roll again as female. 2 handed weapons.

THIS loving GAME

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm hoping there's gonna be more romance-specific dialogue in the DLC, especially for Josephine and Cullen. Those two got kinda shafted in comparison to the playable romances.

Plus if they do something like they did with Vega and make Varric a DLC-only romance...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I kinda want to start a new game just so I can put these new Skyhold outfits to good use. Of the two characters I have, one is end game and one is post-game, which doesn't give me a lot of time to play dress-up.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I do think it's cool that they went with a female lead for the trailer. The line delivery was pretty great.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Spikeguy posted:

I do think it's cool that they went with a female lead for the trailer. The line delivery was pretty great.

That is exactly the reason I want to re-roll again. My only full completion of this game so far has been with a female character, and though I rolled as male now, seeing the line delivery is giving me that itch to re-roll once more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Plus if they do something like they did with Vega and make Varric a DLC-only romance...

You mean the Inquisitor basically raping Varric ordering Varric to have sex with her? I can live without that feature in Dragon Age, thanks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Two good reasons to stick with your dude and then do another playthrough later: You can romance Cass, you can romance Dorian. Now you can only do one of those but still, beats the poo poo out of Sera :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SubponticatePoster posted:

Two good reasons to stick with your dude and then do another playthrough later: You can romance Cass, you can romance Dorian. Now you can only do one of those but still, beats the poo poo out of Sera :v:

I keep trying to like Sera because her specialization is so great, but she's just so...pointless. Even on missions where someone else might comment on the local area or the situation, her comment will usually be along the lines of "I don't care about this, whatever." You can't even use her to recruit various shady agents like Varric, even though her Red Jenny connections should be perfect for that. It's like dragging your teenage niece along on a road trip and listening to her complain that everything sucks the whole time.

Also, jar of bees seems terrible. I mean, all of the grenades and tonics seem pointless when regen potions and healing mist can be added in instead, but jar of bees seems especially pointless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

You can't even use her to recruit various shady agents like Varric, even though her Red Jenny connections should be perfect for that.

Yeah that was annoying to discover. They made her so easy to kick out but it takes away from having her in the first place. Recruiting Ritts and Tanner in Hinterlands, for example, would have been a perfect time for her to chime in. It's not like you're expected to do the Hinterlands in one go or something; you have to leave and come back to get Blackwall or Dorian.

Anyway, I still haven't beaten Jaws of Hakkon (been catching up on Bloodborne and gotten addicted to trying alternate builds) but I've officially scourged all life from everywhere I can reach without advancing the plot. Time to talk to a fisherman!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 1, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

As a general point I also really really appreciate that gender is random in the character creator. It seems like such a minor thing but practically any game with a character creator defaults to male and it's just one of those things I find so obnoxious.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, jar of bees seems terrible. I mean, all of the grenades and tonics seem pointless when regen potions and healing mist can be added in instead, but jar of bees seems especially pointless.
I found Jar of Bees to be an irritatingly good weapon. Here I am, renowned spell-slinger and warrior leader of the inquisition, lobbing a jar of bees at a dragon because its the best loving grenade by a longshot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

As a general point I also really really appreciate that gender is random in the character creator. It seems like such a minor thing but practically any game with a character creator defaults to male and it's just one of those things I find so obnoxious.

So far I have 3 completed games with a fem dwarf, a fem qunari and a male qunari. My next one is going to be a fem elf mage since that one just feels so right storyline wise. Still won't romance Solas though because I hate him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

I found Jar of Bees to be an irritatingly good weapon. Here I am, renowned spell-slinger and warrior leader of the inquisition, lobbing a jar of bees at a dragon because its the best loving grenade by a longshot.

Hey. don't knock the power of bees. Check out the Jungle Books sometime. Mowgli doesn't defeat the dholes himself, he just lures them to the bees, because a swarm of Africanized bees is loving scary.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jose posted:

I didn't mind the mechanic but 30 is way too high. If the eavesdropping had a far bigger range maybe it would not be so poo poo but I don't want to reload each area a million times for it

I think 30 is fine, but it's some bullshit that you get no reward unless you find all 30. Same for the 15 coins, though those at least had a minimal individual reward.

Also some bs that one of those becomes unobtainable if you open Halla doors in the order you see them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope my Qunari inquisitor can decide to fight for the Qun.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Inquisitor isn't a part of the Qun and I doubt the Qun would accept their help.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nephthys posted:

The Inquisitor isn't a part of the Qun and I doubt the Qun would accept their help.

Probably especially true in my case since my Quanri Inqusitor is a mage.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I made a new save awhile back with an identical Inquisitor to the one I'd first beaten the game with because I didn't like some of the choices that I had made (siding with the Templars, forgiving the Grey Wardens, letting Morrigan use the Well) but I ended up stalling out around Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts because I loving hate that mission and the idea of doing it again was painful. I came back to it for Descent and now I'm trying to finish it up for Trespasser and boy let me tell you, the gear from Descent has loving trivialized the rest of the game. I killed all three Emprise dragons in one go without even having finished Suledin Keep yet.

All I've got left to do now is take out Samson, Corypheus, and the Jaws of Hakkon DLC and I don't expect any of those to pose any trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nephthys posted:

Then my Inquisitor will take over the Qun :colbert:

• Locked thread