Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It is the worst movie I've ever watched.

No it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I have to know what are goon's opinions on Death Proof, because I am flabbergasted -- yes, flabbergasted, that anyone liked that movie. It is the worst movie I've ever watched.

Now, that is my personal opinion, by no means let that think I am slighting anyone with the opposite opinion, but I don't see how anyone could like it.

I really liked it. Great characters, amazing action set pieces. I'd love for that to be the worst movie I've ever seen.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

K. Waste posted:

Like, Death Proof is probably close to Quentin Tarantino's Scream. It's also extremely good, and possibly better than Scream.

This is perfect, because Scream was about, as you said "Craven's apologia for his exploitation past" while Death Proof was about Tarantino indulging his admiration for grindhouse films and being rejected for doing so precisely because he was so loving good at it and therefore alienated a large part of his audience. Tarantino has since abandoned that aesthetic (he won't hesitate to label Death Proof a failure) and moved into a different, nevertheless improved phase of his career. Craven, on the other hand, reconciled his career with Scream.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

It's a slasher series. It's a masked boogeyman bad guy chasing down teenagers and killing them off in various creative and gruesome ways. The thing is, it's a really good slasher and brought good ideas to the table like the supernatural element and humour more successfully than previous outings in the genre had.

he's not masked though, and he's chattier than any villain in that type of movie, and even the idea that it's a slasher series is very debatable. i think you could make an argument that the franchise moved in that direction, but the first film doesn't really feel at all like a slasher to me (hell, out of the four vidtims, only one dies by slashing)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hrmm, maybe worst is the wrong word. Boring? Drawn out? Too Tarintino?

Going from watching Planet Terror, which was great, to sitting through terrible dialogue of poorly written women was a terrible combination. If it wasn't Kurt Russell or the entire end chase sequence, it was awful.

I know I'm in the minority in this opinion though :ohdear:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
^^^ You're in the majority actually. Death Proof was generally not well received outside of a niche audience.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he's not masked though, and he's chattier than any villain in that type of movie, and even the idea that it's a slasher series is very debatable. i think you could make an argument that the franchise moved in that direction, but the first film doesn't really feel at all like a slasher to me (hell, out of the four vidtims, only one dies by slashing)

Are we going to start sub-classifying films by the style of death? Piercers? Impalers? Crushers?

Because if we are, I'm all for it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hrmm, maybe worst is the wrong word. Boring? Drawn out? Too Tarintino?

Going from watching Planet Terror, which was great, to sitting through terrible dialogue of poorly written women was a terrible combination. If it wasn't Kurt Russell or the entire end chase sequence, it was awful.

I know I'm in the minority in this opinion though :ohdear:

Well there's your problem right there. You're talking about Grindhouse, a movie that for the first half parodies exploitation movies, before going into a completely earnest exploitation movie.

I'm talking about Death Proof. Grindhouse is the bad movie. And the bad part of it is Planet Terror. I very much enjoyed the former more when I saw it in theaters. But now I can't even finish it. Death Proof, on its own, however, is a fantastic loving movie with exquisite tension.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
A Nightmare on Elm Street is an odd duck. You can certainly call it a slasher movie (especially the later installments), but then it seems weird to include that and not something like Alien, which is actually much more of a slasher movie and is disqualified solely because its killer is, well, an alien.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
RIP

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Was the remake that bad? Never got around to watching it, but drat, when you got a template like the original NOES to go off of, how do you gently caress that up?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Are we going to start sub-classifying films by the style of death? Piercers? Impalers? Crushers?

Because if we are, I'm all for it.

i'm enough of a death metal fan to be into this idea. i'd go see a Crusher.

Was the remake that bad?

yeeeeeeesssssss

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This was already interesting, but got WAY more amusing when I realized this wasn't some kind of official Twitter Q&A between Fangoria and Craven, but rather Fangoria asking its followers and Craven responding on his own accord.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Well there's your problem right there. You're talking about Grindhouse, a movie that for the first half parodies exploitation movies, before going into a completely earnest exploitation movie.

I'm talking about Death Proof. Grindhouse is the bad movie. And the bad part of it is Planet Terror. I very much enjoyed the former more when I saw it in theaters. But now I can't even finish it. Death Proof, on its own, however, is a fantastic loving movie with exquisite tension.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Tarantino in general? He's one of my favorite directors but I understand he gets a mixed reception here.

Also, Death Proof owns.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I have to know what are goon's opinions on Death Proof, because I am flabbergasted -- yes, flabbergasted, that anyone liked that movie. It is the worst movie I've ever watched.

Now, that is my personal opinion, by no means let that think I am slighting anyone with the opposite opinion, but I don't see how anyone could like it.

I very much like Death Proof, but I don't know I'd call it a horror movie, really.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

K. Waste posted:

Just because I'm curious, do you think the feature-length Hobo With a Shotgun is an earnest exploitation movie, or a parody, or something else entirely?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hate the gently caress out of Planet Terror and everything Rodriguez has done since Sin City. Stop making worse versions of Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Robert.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the Grindhouse trailers a lot, even though they kind of undermine the project by being jokes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Planet Terror's good, it's Rodriguez's The Blob '88. Death Proof is better though, yeah.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hate the gently caress out of Planet Terror and everything Rodriguez has done since Sin City. Stop making worse versions of Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Robert.

Don't revisit Sin City

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Tarantino in general? He's one of my favorite directors but I understand he gets a mixed reception here.

Also, Death Proof owns.

Death Proof is my fav Tarantino movie. That he completely disavows it is proof that it's actually his best. It's also his first D.P. credit and he did a super good job, proving that he could have been one of those slumming-it-for-his-schlock, Jack Starrett-type if he wanted to.

I like all his poo poo except for Kill Bill and Django Unchained I'm merely lukewarm on.

Skyscraper posted:

Just because I'm curious, do you think the feature-length Hobo With a Shotgun is an earnest exploitation movie, or a parody, or something else entirely?

Hobo With a Shotgun is a comedy, but I would say it's still earnest (though just not very exceptional) exploitation. It seems to have a stronger Troma-streak rolling through it. I def' wouldn't call it parody. It's similar to the (vastly superior) Black Dynamite in that it's just an exploitation movie that happens to function primarily as a comedy.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Death Proof is my fav Tarantino movie. That he completely disavows it is proof that it's actually his best.
I don't recall him disowning it. I think he said he was proud of his flop.

quote:

I like all his poo poo except for Kill Bill and Django Unchained I'm merely lukewarm on.

drat, I love me some Kill Bill. That scene at the very end of Vol.2 with the Bride and her daughter struck a chord with me.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Planet Terror's good, it's Rodriguez's The Blob '88. Death Proof is better though, yeah.

Both Planet Terror and Death Proof are well done shlock without the disdain for the material that a lot of other filmmakers fall victim too.

Rodriguez has sucked ever since.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 31, 2015

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yaws posted:

I don't recall him disowning it. I think he said he was proud of his flop.

He said something like if Death Proof is his worst movie then that's not bad.

(It isn't. Kill Bill 1 is his worst movie)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

same.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kill Bill Vol.1 is my favorite Tarantino and the one that really got me into his poo poo but I can see how people wouldn't enjoy it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Kill Bill Vol.1 is my favorite Tarantino and the one that really got me into his poo poo but I can see how people wouldn't enjoy it.

i enjoyed it a lot in high school, think me and my friends went to see it three or four times. in retrospect though it feels like something he just had to get out of his system.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Yaws posted:

drat, I love me some Kill Bill. That scene at the very end of Vol.2 with the Bride and her daughter struck a chord with me.

Well, yeah, the second one is actually good. But much like Grindhouse, the first half is pretty mediocre, especially in juxtaposition, and just slays any repeat viewing.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Was the remake that bad?

God yes it is. A shame too cuz I liked the Jackie Earl Hayley casting, they just do nothing with it.

Planet Terror passes the "Does it have Michael Parks in it?" test, but on the whole it's an obnoxious film. Death Proofs pretty great however.

Eli Roth's Thanksgiving trailer is somehow my favorite thing from the whole mess however.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

K. Waste posted:

Hobo With a Shotgun is a comedy, but I would say it's still earnest (though just not very exceptional) exploitation. It seems to have a stronger Troma-streak rolling through it. I def' wouldn't call it parody. It's similar to the (vastly superior) Black Dynamite in that it's just an exploitation movie that happens to function primarily as a comedy.
I didn't read Hobo With a Shotgun as comedy at all. The premise is patently absurd, but I never felt the content was comedic other than just falling inside that completely ridiculous premise.

Black Dynamite was excellent, but I also thought it was a parody rather than being actual exploitation.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Speaking of Blob '88, Fred Dekker's other great movie Monster Squad is coming on streaming in September. I'm looking back now at what a golden age of monster movies we had 1986-1988 (Aliens, Predator, Nightmare 3 & 4, Friday 6 & 7, Halloween 4, Critters, Killer Klowns, The Gate):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_the_1980s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Glamorama26 posted:

God yes it is. A shame too cuz I liked the Jackie Earl Hayley casting, they just do nothing with it.

Still to this day I don't understand what happened there, but I really don't want to go back and re-watch the movie to figure it out.

It's Jackie Earl Hayley, straight from his breakthrough role in Watchmen, I mean I was really excited to see him as Freddy. If I had made a list beforehand of the actors I'd want to see play Freddy, Hayley may have been #1. It was one of those rare, absolutely perfect casting decisions.

Then somehow the movie they made had exactly 0 memorable scenes in it. I literally cannot remember a thing about it, its as if I never saw it. Possibly the most pointless remake of all-time.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Still to this day I don't understand what happened there, but I really don't want to go back and re-watch the movie to figure it out.

It's Jackie Earl Hayley, straight from his breakthrough role in Watchmen, I mean I was really excited to see him as Freddy. If I had made a list beforehand of the actors I'd want to see play Freddy, Hayley may have been #1. It was one of those rare, absolutely perfect casting decisions.

Then somehow the movie they made had exactly 0 memorable scenes in it. I literally cannot remember a thing about it, its as if I never saw it. Possibly the most pointless remake of all-time.

The Nightmare remake turned out the way it did precisely because it was made for one reason and one reason only: the Friday the 13th remake's monster $40 million opening weekend*. It was a ridiculously rushed production: it went from greenlight to release in exactly one year.

Original ideas? NO TIME! GO GO GO!

I bet you anything the casting director for the ANOES remake in March 2009 was thinking, "Oh my God, I have to find the new Freddy Krueger and I only have days to do it. This is so stressful! I should take my mind off things, maybe go see a movie. Let's see what's new... Watchmen? Sure, whatever."

*I also find it hilarious they greenlit ANOES before discovering that F13's big weekend turned out to be like 80% of its gross...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

lizardman posted:

*I also find it hilarious they greenlit ANOES before discovering that F13's big weekend turned out to be like 80% of its gross...

Also they may not have even watched the Friday the 13th remake, which had a really interesting structure and pace, especially for fans of the franchise. It offered a new twist on three different Friday films, all compressed in a way that must have been a nightmare to write/edit. As you point out, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake offered absolutely nothing new for fans beyond seeing a new actor play Freddy.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I hated Death Proof the first time I saw it, and loved Terror Planet, but with every year and/or viewing that transpires, that reverses more and more. I now quite like Death Proof, and am pretty tepid with Terror Planet.

Hobo with a Shotgun made me feel terrible inside from start to finish, and the room of people I watched it with were angry at me for choosing it.

Also, if Alien is a slasher, then Terminator 1 is a slasher, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only thing I want to know about the Nightmare remake is whether Jackie Earl Hayley is a car at the end. That's really it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Hobo with a Shotgun made me feel terrible inside from start to finish, and the room of people I watched it with were angry at me for choosing it.

You must live in hell.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You must live in hell.

It's a very mean spirited movie. I get why they didn't like it. It's why I felt bad watching it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also, if Alien is a slasher, then Terminator 1 is a slasher, too.

Terminator 1 is definitely a slasher

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ANOES Remake is the shittest movie I've ever seen. It's so lazy and boring in almost every possible way. Roony Mara is sleepwalking (heh) through the role, Jackie doesn't do much of anything but sound like Rorschach, and the film is visually undercooked for the most part.

I liked the micro naps thing. That was neat. But that stopped being interesting when they just kept playing the series' greatest hits. I believe all of Freddy's lines toward the end were from other movies, especially Freddy Vs. Jason. There's like 4 references to that movie. They even killed Freddy the exact same way, with the exact same line "Welcome to my world bitch!" *chops off his head/cuts his throat*

It was very weird.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Was the remake that bad? Never got around to watching it, but drat, when you got a template like the original NOES to go off of, how do you gently caress that up?

It's not terrible in a vacuum (I rather liked it when it came out, actually) but it commits the cardinal sin of constantly reminding you that you could be watching a much better movie instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also if you're in this thread and you don't know about Necrostorm's movies, you need to fix that. They're carrying the Italian exploitation trend into the 21st century and both of the movies I've seen by them (Taeter City and Hotel Inferno) loving rule.