Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

The original iPhone didn't do much? Maybe it didn't in terms of a bloated windows phone piece of poo poo but it felt like god drat voodoo magic and the web browser was a very big deal.

It had web apps! But yeah, it was pretty loving barebones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Edit: double post

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

The Dave posted:

The original iPhone didn't do much? Maybe it didn't in terms of a bloated windows phone piece of poo poo but it felt like god drat voodoo magic and the web browser was a very big deal.

Beyond that though it didn't do much. I am not arguing it was not an amazing device for the time, it was, but history tends to cloud our judgement and make things seem a bit more amazing than it was.

Selane
May 19, 2006

beyond the things it did it didn't do much

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have an original iPhone and can confirm it doesn't do much. Hell I can't even download apps for this thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The iPhone let you send AIM messages over data instead of a gateway that charged you incredibly stiff SMS rates. It circumvented a tremendous amount of carrier fuckery going on at the time more than anything.

The entire period where the App Store didn't exist really doesn't count. Not only was it only a few months, but everybody was hacking them anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It took a whole year for the app store to come out in iOS 2.

The original iPhone did so many things right, even with its limitations. Visual Voicemail was a godsend. A real email client that supported IMAP with no caveats. The web browser kicked the poo poo out of any other phone's browser.

Remember, the "smart" competition at the time was Treos, Windows Mobile (nee Pocket PC) and blackberries. None of them managed to get the right kind of user interaction things right to truly supplant dumbphones. Palm/Pocket PC devices were never mainstream; sure, nerds and spendy businesspeople had PDAs, but the average person? No way. The interaction model on the iPhone was so approachable that you immediately forgot about all the bullshit you went through with PDAs. I used Palms and a Pocket PC for years, and none had the actual functional elegance of the iPhone. Too much janitoring, too many caveats when actually trying to get poo poo done. And their sync software was garbage. We've come a long way in ten years.

I had an original iPhone for four years, replaced it with a 4S. It just worked and Apple's OS support meant that it didn't really go obsolete for phone/app stuff. Probably one of the best dollar value purchases I've ever made.

I'm not holding on to a phone for that long again, but it was such a sea change that it only looks quaint in hindsight.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

kefkafloyd posted:

And their sync software was garbage. We've come a long way in ten years.

You have some good points in the rest of your post, I just wanted to point out that these two sentences should never be spoken in succession in regards to iPhones.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Selane posted:

beyond the things it did it didn't do much

this is hilarious

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Monday_ posted:

You have some good points in the rest of your post, I just wanted to point out that these two sentences should never be spoken in succession in regards to iPhones.

Did you actually use ActiveSync or Palm Desktop through the early aughts?

Because yes, while iTunes has its foibles (and iOS 8 had some awful sync bugs), those things were WORSE. Hell, you can use an iPhone (or iPad) as a primary computing device without ever syncing it to a computer if you so choose nowadays. You could never do that with a Palm or a PocketPC, admittedly because they had no active data connections.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

kefkafloyd posted:

Did you actually use ActiveSync or Palm Desktop through the early aughts?

Because yes, while iTunes has its foibles (and iOS 8 had some awful sync bugs), those things were WORSE. Hell, you can use an iPhone (or iPad) as a primary computing device without ever syncing it to a computer if you so choose nowadays. You could never do that with a Palm or a PocketPC, admittedly because they had no active data connections.

This post and the last all truth.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

I had an original iPhone for four years, replaced it with a 4S. It just worked and Apple's OS support meant that it didn't really go obsolete for phone/app stuff. Probably one of the best dollar value purchases I've ever made.

I had a 3G that became an unreliably slow drained out scrap of molasses thanks to the iOS 4 update. So I bought a Nexus One and went Android for five years. I think they were hemming and hawing over Google Voice and the idea of something other than Phone.app having a visual metaphor of a dialpad on it when I gave up.

Steve Jobs spent most of his career complaining about how companies (namely Apple without him, as well as Hewlett-Packard) meander and lose their way after their founders leave. I used to agree with him, until he showed me that this visionary founding people often have trouble relinquishing their control and influence over the product to the developing wants and interests of it's adopted public.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 1, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The OG iPhone was limited, even compared to my treo 650, but it was still the coolest phone on the market, and its main selling point besides it's beautiful multitouch screen was a decent web browser. That alone was worth it back in the day.

My experience with the six: I preordered the 6+ within minutes of the preorder through ATT, which was the first store I got through. After a day, I was looking at a month turnaround. Release day came, and I bought a 6 from the company I work for, who obtained a few phones of random specs. I got my 6 before the store opened, thinking that my 6+ was a month away. The weekend went by and Monday morning, the 6+ shows up on my doorstep. I give my wife the 6 and everything was cool. The point is, it's unpredictable. You may order your poo poo minutes after the preorder and you don't know until you're holding it in your hand. App Store through the phone seems better than most, but that doesn't guarantee you anything. It's all in the game.

Edit: a few months ago, I had to use my treo 650 for a few days, and it sucked, but at the end of the day, it did what it needed to. I got my email. I could search the web for basic poo poo. I could make calls and send texts, and the texts were chat like. It wasn't that bad. For basic functions, a pre-iPhone smart phone did its job well. I even played an old school version of madden and it was fun, as well as the NES emulator that made punch out fun again.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 1, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sweet fancy Moses, my phone just died. It sat happily on my desk two minutes ago, with the battery at about 85 percent. Reached over to check something and waste time, and there's no reaction. It's a 5S.

It's never been wet or anything. What gives? And more importantly, is there any hope of saving it?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Hold the power and home button (I think) until it resets.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That actually worked. Thank you very much, Mr LampkinsMateSteve!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
No worries. It's a handy thing to know —that's happened to my wife's phone a couple of times, and she was a bit panicky both times.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Xabi posted:

That actually worked. Thank you very much, Mr LampkinsMateSteve!

Isn't iOS 8 great! I get these every now and then. Guessing it's a app run amuck hogging resources or something similar. iOS 9 cannot replace this turd fast enough.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Isn't iOS 8 great! I get these every now and then. Guessing it's a app run amuck hogging resources or something similar. iOS 9 cannot replace this turd fast enough.

??? iOS 8 has been great for me, and most other people I know! Are you sure you aren’t just one of those “grass is always greener” people?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8.3 onwards has been a bit of a disaster for me. Apple Music being a total disaster didn't help. I did a total phone restore to 8.4....1? Whatever the latest is... And things have been a bit better but on 8.3 I was getting random shutdowns all the time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah iOS 8 has probably been the most glitchy one I have used, outside of the second public beta of iOS 9. Music syncing onto a brand new phone on 8.0 was an exercise in frustration and it took me a few updates to get my music from my PC onto the phone in the end. Conversely, 9.0 is looking pretty awesome and is the tidy up of code that iOS badly needed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I never had problems with the stock Podcasts app until 8.3, now it won't sync downloaded episodes through iTunes reliably. It's pretty annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

I never had problems with the stock Podcasts app until 8.3, now it won't sync downloaded episodes through iTunes reliably. It's pretty annoying.

Try doing a full phone restore if you're bothered. 8.3 broke podcasts for me completely but it seems to be ok after I did a total wipe.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

??? iOS 8 has been great for me, and most other people I know! Are you sure you aren’t just one of those “grass is always greener” people?

The beta of iOS 9 runs 10x better than iOS 8 ever has. I've had nonstop problems with 8, including crippling issues with WiFi that countless other users have experienced, bluetooth issues, device hesitation when unlocking, etc etc etc. 8 is a complete turd and what I have seen of 9 I like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

empty baggie posted:

My experience with the six: I preordered the 6+ within minutes of the preorder through ATT, which was the first store I got through. After a day, I was looking at a month turnaround. Release day came, and I bought a 6 from the company I work for, who obtained a few phones of random specs. I got my 6 before the store opened, thinking that my 6+ was a month away. The weekend went by and Monday morning, the 6+ shows up on my doorstep. I give my wife the 6 and everything was cool. The point is, it's unpredictable. You may order your poo poo minutes after the preorder and you don't know until you're holding it in your hand. App Store through the phone seems better than most, but that doesn't guarantee you anything. It's all in the game.
Eh. If you order direct from Apple instead of your carrier, the time they give until you get it is worst-case scenario. I recall LOTS of people getting shipping times of a month or more getting them within a week of launch.

Lesson to learn: order direct from Apple.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Eh. If you order direct from Apple instead of your carrier, the time they give until you get it is worst-case scenario. I recall LOTS of people getting shipping times of a month or more getting them within a week of launch.

Lesson to learn: order direct from Apple.

Yup, I think I have received everything from Apple before the ETA they give.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I take it then if I actually want a phone on the launch day itself, I'd have to line up in an apple store right? from what you guys have just said, I'd be waiting days or weeks after the launch if I order from apple.

Note I'm also in Australia, if there are any Australian goons who can relate their past experiences with iphone launches. As a current Windows Phone user, I've never had to deal with other people actually wanting to buy the same phone as me before.

What are the queues like? do they typically sell out well before the end of the day?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I was lucky when i got my six. I just ordered it online and picked it up at the Apple Store in Nashua. If you have the ability to buy online/pick up in an Apple store, it's the best way to get something as soon as possible. Otherwise, it's the whim of your carrier/Apple mailing it to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I take it then if I actually want a phone on the launch day itself, I'd have to line up in an apple store right? from what you guys have just said, I'd be waiting days or weeks after the launch if I order from apple.

Note I'm also in Australia, if there are any Australian goons who can relate their past experiences with iphone launches. As a current Windows Phone user, I've never had to deal with other people actually wanting to buy the same phone as me before.

What are the queues like? do they typically sell out well before the end of the day?
I can't speak for Australia, specifically, but in the US, at least, if you order from Apple within, oh, the first hour that preorders are available, the first delivery attempt will be on launch day. (They are all signature delivery, so if you're not there and there's nowhere that can accept your delivery, you will not get it that day.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's kinda promising. I've been led to understand that most carrier stores won't sell iphones outright in the first few weeks post release - only on a new contract, so my only in person option is apple I believe, and some googling of the iphone 6 launch talks of people camped out 3 days ahead and queues stretching for blocks. I really can't be hosed doing that. It would be annoying enough just having to wake up before midday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So just order it and get it when you get it? It's just a phone, man.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Well yes, but I'm thoroughly sick of my current phone, and getting it sooner is more desireable than later.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Endless Mike posted:

Go back to watching your newscast on TV, dad. The kids are having fun here!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Croc Monster posted:

Go back to watching your newscast on TV, dad. The kids are having fun here!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Will a Verizon phone work on ATT? Or are there LTE band restrictions that will get me?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Will a Verizon phone work on ATT? Or are there LTE band restrictions that will get me?

If it has LTE it should work.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I assume Apple will replace this?

I'm in London and whenever I try booking an appointment at an Apple store it throws a message at me saying there's nothing available.

Did they recently change the website? I distinctly remember there being a week view with available time slots. Now it looks like it just checks the next available time and forces you to pick that.

But since London is so busy it always says there's no available times. How are you supposed to book anything?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

awesome-express posted:

I assume Apple will replace this?

I'm in London and whenever I try booking an appointment at an Apple store it throws a message at me saying there's nothing available.

Did they recently change the website? I distinctly remember there being a week view with available time slots. Now it looks like it just checks the next available time and forces you to pick that.

But since London is so busy it always says there's no available times. How are you supposed to book anything?

Comedy answer: get a train to Cambridge. :v:

(I once had to use the Penistone rail line to get to Sheffield to replace a broken iPod classic. It's rather nice if in bumfuck nowhere)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is worse than that, but since I'm running the iOS 9 beta, I'm going to wait until after it's released to bother getting it fixed just in case they mess something up while doing it.

Speaking of iOS 9, the Facebook app's notifications like to never dismiss until a reboot. It's the only app doing it, so I'm assuming it's an app thing and they'll hopefully fix it after release. (Or even before, if they're aware of the issue, but then again, it's Facebook, so they'll probably make it worse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
If my current launch-day iPhone 6+ isn't available for an upgrade for another year, but my iPad line is, can I preorder by putting in the iPad-assigned number on the Apple site and then putting the SIM from my 6+ in to the new phone, thus saving $200?

I thought last year there was an early upgrade option via AT&T, but I suppose selling the phone will net me more than $200, so there's that route too.

Thoughts?