Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

There was a game a couple years ago called Ravaged that was basically Mad Max Battlefield 2. It was bad and died quicker than almost any indie MP title I've ever seen unfortunately.

Oh drat it, I thought I recalled that but I wasn't 100% if it was a mod for UT2004 or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What exactly were people looking for in the driving of a Mad Max game, aside from wrecking fools?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What exactly were people looking for in the driving of a Mad Max game, aside from wrecking fools?

Well the dream would probably be ripping the driving physics and destruction physics out of Flatout wholesale.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pirate Jet posted:

Nope. There was actually a huge thread here complaining when Ubisoft revoked Far Cry 4 keys from that site a few months ago.

If it helps, last time CD keys hosed up they refunded if you asked.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Mad Max decrypt in 1 hour.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DatonKallandor posted:

Well the dream would probably be ripping the driving physics and destruction physics out of Flatout wholesale.

Yeah, for a game centered around car combat, I'd expect a pretty detailed destruction system.

So far it looks like all this has in that department is uh, bump into cars until they explode.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Not one of the three Gamestops around are doing a midnight release for this OR Metal Gear. That's kinda surprising, I don't have much interest in watching another Metal Gear, but I'd have thought that it would have done gangbusters. Weird as hell.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Mad Max decrypt in 1 hour.

in what country would this be?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think GameStop or any US retailer has ever done a Midnight launch for a Japanese game that isn't Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII and Street Fighter IV. Even MGS4 wasn't big enough for GameStop to do it. There have been other times where a major Japanese game has come out at the same time as something else like when Operation Racoon City, FFXIII-2, RE6, TTT2, etc. came out so that it ends up being a game you can get at the Midnight launch, but in general it won't happen for a single game that isn't one of the biggest western published ones.

That said, technically any GameStop can do a Midnight launch for any game the store manager wants to, just with the general nature of the job why would you add that to your plate. So hypothetically if there was a game one REALLY REALLY NEEDS to watch install onto your PS4 before playing the tutorial and going to sleep one would have to get a bunch of people to pre-order the game at that store and get the store manager to actually want to do it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 31, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Deakul posted:

Yeah, for a game centered around car combat, I'd expect a pretty detailed destruction system.

So far it looks like all this has in that department is uh, bump into cars until they explode.

The official videos looked that way, but all the gifs and streams I've seen make it look a lot better, poo poo flying off cars in every direction on good crashes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Boss Wiggler posted:

in what country would this be?

All of Europe so try a French/English VPN

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I'm pre-disappointed that you almost certainly won't be able to do crazy things like jumping over onto monolithic war-rigs and battling your way up to the front like some kind of post-apocalyptic Shadow of Colossus.

Prove me wrong game, prove me wrong!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Deakul posted:

Yeah if you're boring as hell

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yeah if you're boring as hell

Basically what I'm saying is that they should've licensed the soft body destruction system from BeamNG.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

TerminalBlue posted:

I'm pre-disappointed that you almost certainly won't be able to do crazy things like jumping over onto monolithic war-rigs and battling your way up to the front like some kind of post-apocalyptic Shadow of Colossus.

Prove me wrong game, prove me wrong!

If they could get that sort of thing right in an open world, not scripted sort of way, it would be the greatest game of all time.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Instead of just blowing everything up, I want to rip out the doors with the harpoon and shoot the driver in the face. :commissar:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If they could get that sort of thing right in an open world, not scripted sort of way, it would be the greatest game of all time.
Yeah you can actually hijack other cars but I haven't seen huge rigs :/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
They seem to have fixed VPN trickery. I'm using a French VPN and while everything else recognizes it, Steam still recognizes me as being in Seattle.

Shame.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

They seem to have fixed VPN trickery. I'm using a French VPN and while everything else recognizes it, Steam still recognizes me as being in Seattle.

Shame.

Go to your account settings and manually change your store location

If prices are in euros, you should be good

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hakkesshu posted:

A few reviews from no name sites that broke embargo are out, decidedly :mediocre: at 6.5 and 7.5, tl;dr the driving is boring, missions repetitive, and the scenery gets old, but it has a good atmosphere and decent customization options for the car.

The reviews are poo poo and not really worth linking since the embargo will be up shortly, but I'd definitely expect similar results across the board from the bigger publications.

I find that acceptable seeing that it only cost me 26 dollars.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Go to your account settings and manually change your store location

If prices are in euros, you should be good

That's not an option you can change in Steam. You can change Download location, but that's not IP. Their IP detection system is now good enough to detect I'm using a VPN. That's the issue.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Just Cause 2 is also an awful to mediocre game if you look at the individual parts of it, but when put together it's one of the best open world action games ever made as long as you're willing to do cool poo poo because it's cool, not because the game actively rewards it. I expect Mad Max to be the same way.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

If you click on your name at the top right then hit 'account settings' you can set the store page to UK. Problem is it doesn't carry over on a restart and it doesn't seem to be working to unlock the game so far.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Rookersh posted:

That's not an option you can change in Steam. You can change Download location, but that's not IP. Their IP detection system is now good enough to detect I'm using a VPN. That's the issue.

You can only change the store location if you're using a VPN. You just have to change that setting too before you'll see the European/Asian/Whatever store and unlock times.

EDIT: Also, :f5:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

How do they detect VPN usage? Do you have a source?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rookersh posted:

That's not the case at all though, it's working perfectly fine for me.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's not you. They're late on decryption.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Now Steam is just saying "Coming soon. This item is not yet available." I hope that's not a bad thing. :ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Reviews are popping up. Polygon gave it a 5, Gamespot 6, IGN 8.4, another big site gave it a 7.5.

So basically Mad Max is your poo poo, or it's not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Now Steam is just saying "Coming soon. This item is not yet available." I hope that's not a bad thing. :ohdear:

This always happens with games when they are released on steam. And I don't mean "always" as in that it isn't supposed to happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leather Bear posted:

Reviews are popping up. Polygon gave it a 5, Gamespot 6, IGN 8.4, another big site gave it a 7.5.

So basically Mad Max is your poo poo, or it's not.

its polygon so there score is rarely worth any merit. its where all the hacks and wannabe muckrakers of the games industry go to die. half of polygons review was "wahhh its not fury road and wahh furiosa isnt in it i am being triggered" the other half was bitching about the repetitiveness. maybe i will feel different when i am 20 hours in, but i still play the poo poo outa mordor so i doubt it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leather Bear posted:

Polygon's review is mostly whining about archetypical and sexist characters. It's like they don't get Mad Max at all.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Polygon's review is mostly whining about archetypical and sexist characters. It's like they don't get Mad Max at all.

Fury Road is a bad movie because Immortan Joe is a patriarchal figure. Hire me polygon.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Seriously? God loving drat it. This is why they need to be taken off of aggregate sites like Metacritic.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone's decryption kicked off yet?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its polygon so there score is rarely worth any merit. its where all the hacks and wannabe muckrakers of the games industry go to die. half of polygons review was "wahhh its not fury road and wahh furiosa isnt in it i am being triggered" the other half was bitching about the repetitiveness. maybe i will feel different when i am 20 hours in, but i still play the poo poo outa mordor so i doubt it.

Its like the parody of polygon is exactly what is going to happen each and every time. Christ that is bad and people even saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Seriously? God loving drat it. This is why they need to be taken off of aggregate sites like Metacritic.

that poo poo is popular now. its the new "being an yelly swearing dude reviewing somthing" that was prevelant in 00s.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mokinokaro posted:

No, it's not. Most of the review talks about how bland the gameplay is and technical issues. The review states that since the plot is so shallow, then it should be up to the actual gameplay and action to keep people's interest, and it states that it fails at that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BexGu posted:

Its like the parody of polygon is exactly what is going to happen each and every time. Christ that is bad and people even saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

I am honestly surprised they gave MGS5 a good review. I assume its too big of a game to poo poo on and get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I like some Polygon reviews, but yeah, after them being so hyped and having fun on their stream and asking pretty pertinent questions about it, reviewers now come across as the opposite of what the video preview guy was all about, i.e, liking the game.

• Locked thread