Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say give it a fast burrow speed, and the ability to lunge out of the ground like an orca so it can hide from flying guys then eat them midair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tunicate posted:

I'd say give it a fast burrow speed, and the ability to lunge out of the ground like an orca so it can hide from flying guys then eat them midair.

Well, Flying guys would lose the concentration to maintain flight the second they saw the Tarrasque so flying people are probably less likely.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It could still use something like:
"entropic field: all ranged attacks and spells that target the tarrasque and/or any space around it within 200 ft, that originate further than 50 ft away from the tarrasque (or whatever space is targeted instead), scatter harmlessly at it's feet or dissipate harmlessly into nothingness. Any flying creature or object of any sort, with any means of mundane or magical flight, that comes within 200' of the tarrasque, is limited to only flying 20' off the ground. Flying creatures above 20' that enter the area immediately fall, but can recover harmlessly at 20 feet."

Alternatively:
"Durable carapace: the tarrasque is completely immune to all spells and attacks of any sort that do not target it's (relatively) soft underbelly. The carapace completely blocks line of sight to the vulnerable belly from all directions except a cone projecting straight down from the centre of the tarrasques space, which on the ground extends to a radius of 30 feet around the tarrasque".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Covok posted:

Well, Flying guys would lose the concentration to maintain flight the second they saw the Tarrasque so flying people are probably less likely.

It's cooler to go full Tremors, though :colbert:

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

Covok posted:

Yeah, I forgot add that line in. Whoops.

In regards to the later, I don't really see that as a problem.

Edit:

How about this version?

RE: Horrific Visage, one of the lessons Call of Cthulhu has taught me is that RPG players are perfectly willing to strategically blindfold themselves to avoid line of sight effects. Maybe add in something natural language-y like "Any creature that could have line of sight and is aware of... ."

The multiattack action seems clunky to me. I wouldn't want to keep track of 4 different attacks each with slightly different to hit bonuses and slightly different damage expressions. Can I suggest folding Frightful Presence into Horrific Visage and replacing the bite/horn/claw/tail retinue with a single melee attack like "Eater of Worlds: +20 to hit, 20 feet reach, one target. Hit: 4d10+10 damage, and the target is grappled in the Tarrasque's maw (escape DC:20), if the target was already grappled they are instead swallowed." And then replace multiattack with something like"Rampage: The Tarrasque moves it's speed, and makes up to 5 Eater of Worlds attacks at any point during this movement." I mean, whatever, just so long as I wouldn't have to track that many different kinds of attacks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just give it an inhale action. As a legendary action it can pull any target it can see towards it by 200', half on save (str, hard). Take away the blind thing as well. Give it loving truesight, let it see everything.

Yes, that includes the moon. Even thinking about making the Tarrasque believe the moon is edible is enough to make a number of Gods very interested in your personal well-being.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

wallawallawingwang posted:

RE: Horrific Visage, one of the lessons Call of Cthulhu has taught me is that RPG players are perfectly willing to strategically blindfold themselves to avoid line of sight effects. Maybe add in something natural language-y like "Any creature that could have line of sight and is aware of... ."

The multiattack action seems clunky to me. I wouldn't want to keep track of 4 different attacks each with slightly different to hit bonuses and slightly different damage expressions. Can I suggest folding Frightful Presence into Horrific Visage and replacing the bite/horn/claw/tail retinue with a single melee attack like "Eater of Worlds: +20 to hit, 20 feet reach, one target. Hit: 4d10+10 damage, and the target is grappled in the Tarrasque's maw (escape DC:20), if the target was already grappled they are instead swallowed." And then replace multiattack with something like"Rampage: The Tarrasque moves it's speed, and makes up to 5 Eater of Worlds attacks at any point during this movement." I mean, whatever, just so long as I wouldn't have to track that many different kinds of attacks.

Well, the multiattack is unaltered from the core Tarrasque and good point of horrific visage.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

Covok posted:

Well, the multiattack is unaltered from the core Tarrasque and good point of horrific visage.

I should have known!

On reflection the Tarrasque's melee ability should be replaced with an Aura that lets it make a free melee attack when someone gets/ starts their turn within 20 or 30 feet. It's actual attack actions should be stuff like "Destroy a huge piece of scenery and then throw it at someone," "Leap into the air, biting something flying within 500 feet, and then drag it back to earth," or "Release a wave of pure entropic anti-magic that makes spell slots explode out of everyone's head."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Tarrasque should be able to rip up the ground and scenery and use it as missiles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quick note the Terraque has Blind Sight but it is not blind itself.

For the Monster Manual one if you get within 120 ft of it it is aware of you. It is not Blind beyond that radius.

Sage Genesis posted:

Yes, I understand that he can do all sorts of things within a Time Stop. The point is that Time Stop breaks as soon as he does... well, pretty much anything. Using an action to cast Time Stop and then walking over to a guy to whack him in the face with your "free" action is stupidly convoluted. You might as well have spent that first action on just attacking straight away. The true power of Time Stop in 5e is to allow a caster to quickly layer on self-buffs, potions, and activate items. Orcus doesn't have any of that. He just has a spell with a big sounding name for the sake of looking scary, even though in practice its use will be much more limited. That is poor design in my book.

I said what he could do with it. Use his big summon undead move. Then Wack someone in the face a few times to break timestop. Summoning the Undead won't break Time Stop.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Summoning the Undead won't break Time Stop.

quote:

This spell ends if one of the actions you use during this period, or any effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you.

Also how does this interact with the rules for being drunk?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Also how does this interact with the rules for being drunk?

Summoning undead effects a creature other than you. It's totally legal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Summoning undead effects a creature other than you. It's totally legal.

Orcus' summoning effect affects the undead, so the Time Stop stops and the PCs attempt to affect Orcus' health, but they have little effect as they are affected by lack of magic effects.

But ask your DM.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Playing 5E at PAX this weekend has sold me on the concept of organized play (and thus, 5E) although I probably won't try to get a consistent group together. The modules I ran at PAX got my lovely wizard up to 3rd level and I'm actually invested in getting more XP. How well has organized play worked out so far, with this downtime/renown/whatever stuff?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
This week, I'm starting a level 1 half-elf bard at my LGS's Encounters night for my first time playing 5e. I'm pretty excited.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Summoning the Undead won't break Time Stop.

I believe that this is entirely against both the letter and the spirit of Time Stop. What you describe is not how I think it would work, so I stand by my earlier comments.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
An extremely annoying rules lawyer has been added to our group.

Tips on loving with them?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ActusRhesus posted:

Tell them to stop being an annoying fucker and/or talk to the DM.

Pass-agg approaches will just piss everyone off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ActusRhesus posted:

Become a rules sovereign citizen.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slimnoid posted:

Tell them to stop being an annoying fucker and/or talk to the DM.

Pass-agg approaches will just piss everyone off.

This. This or tear up the character sheet when the player goes to the bathroom, and say the character was eaten by an ent.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gently caress with that guy by making him DM.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 1, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

accept that you deserve each other because your first thought was "how can I own this fag hard for the epic win" and not "how can I discuss this issue with my group in a mature and rational manner"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Really Pants posted:

accept that you deserve each other because your first thought was "how can I own this fag hard for the epic win" and not "how can I discuss this issue with my group in a mature and rational manner"

Discussions have not worked.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ActusRhesus posted:

Then why is he part of the group if no one likes playing with him?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Become a rules sovereign citizen.

Gold fringe on the character sheet

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

My character is a fiction, and is therefore not subject to the rules :colbert:

e: I do not consent to this saving throw.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 1, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

"No one cares."

Seriously, just be blunt. Over and over again until he gets it or leaves. Idk what your group dynamic is but my friends & I are close enough that "Dude no one gives a poo poo just keep the game moving" is fine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

all game rules apply only to the fictional legal construct represented by the character sheet "Drizzt Do'Urden" which was arbitrarily assigned by the government at the time of his creation, and the real character Drizzt;do!URDEN remains legally exempt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

"This is an Admiralty Player's Handbook, and therefore does not apply"

"The sheet identifies a character by the name of MELF, and not my character, whose name is Melf, and so has no jurisdiction over him"

Ok I am having way too much fun with this joke.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Why doesn't the dm put a stop to it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Have the group switch over to Sword's Path Glory. Let's see Mr Wiseass rules-lawyer his way out of that

VVVV Having the whole group participate in an escalating rules lawyer arms race might also be a fun diversion

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I had one particularly problematic rules lawyer. Most of the time I could deal with him by just firmly telling him "no", like I was dealing with a small child. The rest of the time I relied on the loosely written "natural language" rules and my two years as a litigation attorney to out rules lawyer him until he accepted the futility of the effort.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Soylent Pudding posted:

I had one particularly problematic rules lawyer. Most of the time I could deal with him by just firmly telling him "no", like I was dealing with a small child. The rest of the time I relied on the loosely written "natural language" rules and my two years as a litigation attorney to out rules lawyer him until he accepted the futility of the effort.

Sounds like a lot more work than "This isn't working out. Please find something else to do with your time."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Draw up a rules lawyer licence. Then citizens's arrest him for rules lawyering without a licence. If he argues with you just keep pointing at your licence like that cgi wizard with the chalkboard.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

Talk to the DM about how they're holding up the group and making the game not fun, then talk to the person in question about how it's holding up the game and impeding the fun.

You know, like a decently-adjusted adult.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Or, don't do any of that and just beat'em with a sack of oranges. (or d20's if they're on hand)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
How do you even lawyer rules as vague and half-assed as Next's? You should cut that guy a break, he has it hard enough as it is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

How do you even lawyer rules as vague and half-assed as Next's? You should cut that guy a break, he has it hard enough as it is.

5e is actually really easy to "rules lawyer" insofar as natural language lets you conclude all sorts of poo poo that feels like it's intuitive to you but isn't to anyone else.

Crossbow Expert? :getin:

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just spent ten minutes learning how to actually do this because I think it would be incredibly pimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gold leaf is cool.