Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

bagual posted:

Speaking of horrible color schemes.

A guess, anyone?
Medical expenditures as percent of GDP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

bagual posted:

Speaking of horrible color schemes.

A guess, anyone?

Is it something to do with energy consumption? I want to say natural gas?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I think it's GDP in trillions of USD.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Medical expenditures as percent of GDP?

I think you might be close. Doctors per # population?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please, if you post a mystery map, make sure to return within 24 hours to loving reveal what the hell that map means.

As it is, the map is basically "vague_development.jpg"

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Decent guessing map

Awful map.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Something about urban infrastructure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jewish population?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Jewish population?

I thought no one would get it without reverse image searching it, but this is really really close. :stare:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Jewish population?

Close enough! It's counties where schools close for Jewish holidays.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jaramin posted:

Close enough! It's counties where schools close for Jewish holidays.

More accurately, it's probably counties where at least some public schools close for Jewish holidays.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
More accurately, it's probably counties where at least some public schools close for some Jewish holidays.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Please, if you post a mystery map, make sure to return within 24 hours to loving reveal what the hell that map means.

It's definitely GDP.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

I thought no one would get it without reverse image searching it, but this is really really close. :stare:

I was going to say that or sizable Cuban populations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

More accurately, it's probably counties where at least some public schools close for some Jewish holidays.

It's definitely GDP.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Jaramin posted:

Awful map.

"What would happen if the Caspian Sea's anus started bleeding"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jaramin posted:

Awful map.

I'm thinking along the lines of "Places where the Shia population is >1%" but that doesn't explain Turkey being blank.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jaramin posted:

Awful map.

I'm going to guess some crackpot theory about a pre-historical civilization a la that map that claims that Korea ruled the world during the neolithic.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Sure it's not just a historical empire?

edit: wait somehow missed all of South Asia ignore

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I dunno, it seems too restrained to really be a crackpot "our ancient civilization was the best ever" map. Why would it leave out that chunk of Arabia and the Malaysian peninsula, plus that tiny part of the Vietnamese coast?

Could be a map showing the maximum reach of Persian or Indian culture over some period of time? Except massively over-estimating it with Egypt and Arabia. And leaving out Indonesia for some reason, on the other hand. Hmm.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jaramin posted:

Awful map.

Something something Islam?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Whorelord posted:

Something something Islam?
With neither Mecca nor Medina?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kassad posted:

I dunno, it seems too restrained to really be a crackpot "our ancient civilization was the best ever" map. Why would it leave out that chunk of Arabia and the Malaysian peninsula, plus that tiny part of the Vietnamese coast?

Could be a map showing the maximum reach of Persian or Indian culture over some period of time? Except massively over-estimating it with Egypt and Arabia. And leaving out Indonesia for some reason, on the other hand. Hmm.

I thought about this but surely Turkey would've been on this map of Persian influence. But it certainly seems centered on Iran.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the extent of the Silk Road or something, would it?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

Also it leaves out the southern tip of vietnam, which considering it was once hindu seems to really go against any idea of it as a map of indian influence.

e: is it maximum historical range of Indian elephants maybe? the bit int he west sort of matches the Seleucid and Ptolemaic empires and I think they brought elephants back from india.

e2: no wait that makes no sense because then it would include malaysia surely? and why would it have arabia?

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I thought about this but surely Turkey would've been on this map of Persian influence. But it certainly seems centered on Iran.

Are you sure it's centered on Iran? I notice the color is a gradient, darkest in Pakistan/NE India. Could be something that sprang out from that region.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jaramin posted:

Awful map.
After much brain-wrenching and starting to think it's someone's EU4 campaign, I reverse GISed this and :psyduck:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mr. Belpit posted:

Are you sure it's centered on Iran? I notice the color is a gradient, darkest in Pakistan/NE India. Could be something that sprang out from that region.

I hadn't noticed that on my dinky laptop yet. Hmm.

Possibly the travels of some Indian merchant? It's probably not the spread of Zoroastrianism. Maybe some other religion? Doesn't seem like Sikhism either.

EDIT: British influence and colonies, disregarding Africa, Europe and China??

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 1, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's a map of where you traditionally use your hand to wipe your butt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a map of where you traditionally use your hand to wipe your butt.
Europe will soon join it, once we push down the 'save the trees' lane hard enough. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

frankenfreak posted:

After much brain-wrenching and starting to think it's someone's EU4 campaign, I reverse GISed this and :psyduck:

The strangest part is that it's not even featured in an english language Wikipedia article.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Though it now makes sense why the lines are smoothed out in the map. :v:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

frankenfreak posted:

Wait, you got actual results doing that? I only got blank maps.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kassad posted:

Wait, you got actual results doing that? I only got blank maps.

You'll see it in the second or third page of results.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

frankenfreak posted:

I gave up as well. GIS turned up nothing except Japanese imageboards about mapmaking ( :psyduck: ) but Tineye did. What a strange map to make.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

The closest I found on 7 pages of results is execution by elephants.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just so everybody doesn't have to search it on their own: Areas that practised execution by elephant

E;fb

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

computer parts posted:

Oh hahaha, I see it now. What :psyduck:

quote:

Elephants were even sometimes used in a kind of trial by ordeal in which the condemned prisoner was released if he managed to fend off the elephant.

Welp. "You're free to go... As long as you wrestle with an elephant!"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Holy poo poo I was basically right I guess.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Romans didn't use elephants in the Colloseum to kill themselves some Christians? Or does that not count as execution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yep, execution via elephant at one time or another. Pretty crummy way to go all things considered.