Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Is there a reason why Gamergate discussion isn't a bannable offense? I'm pretty sure we had a similar thing for Bronies a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

There's a new Feminist Frequency. We are at Defcon 1 for 4/8chan bullshit. Can't watch it till tonight though,I'm at work and my cell phone hit its data limit for the month:

It's a good video, though once again I find myself kinda frustrated that the videos are so academic in tone. I totally 100% understand why they are like that, they are meant to be academic, but the video basically boils down to "Games often use women as rewards for in-game accomplishments, let me spend 30 minutes explaining the ways in which video games reward behavior in general because I do not assume that you know anything about video games at all." And it's valuable to have stuff like this, that doesn't make any assumptions, but for me personally I wish there was somebody discussing this stuff who doesn't need to take 5 minutes to explain what an achievement is.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe if there were people who didn't think even this stuff was too extreme, then her videos would focus less on the 101. I wish she wasn't so introductory too, but it's sad that it's a necessity to prevent even more poo poo coming her way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If she was actually academic in her approach most of her detractors would give up immediately, because the average nerd cannot process academic texts.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If she was actually academic in her approach most of her detractors would give up immediately, because the average nerd cannot process academic texts.

That is funny to me, these people laud of their intellect but cannot pierce what should be simple English to them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The people who attack Feminist Frequency literally celebrate video games not being taken seriously as art due to their actions, because it means less criticism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of them claimed that she plagiarized her master's thesis because it contained citations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Gladney posted:

One of them claimed that she plagiarized her master's thesis because it contained citations.

I was being kind of facetious, but I guess there was no need to be.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Junior Jr. posted:

I wish anyone involved with Gamergate (pro or anti) would shut their loving mouths because I don't care what they want in life, but they keep thinking they're so special.

lmao

On the topic of FemFreq though. Anita takes so many precautions to make it abundantly clear that you can enjoy things while still being critical towards them, and is going to such lengths to make sure that the videos don't come off as sarcastic or condescending to the point where they feel a bit lifeless and they don't really hit as hard as I'd like them to. They are good introductions to the concepts for people who don't really know of them though. I just find it funny that the narrative where she's this incredibly radical strawman became so incredibly widespread, or at least I would find it funny if it wasn't so god drat sad.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keromaru5 posted:

Okay, maybe you know something I don't. I understand you want to defend your friend. I just know what I've read elsewhere, and it's not good.

One, she was outed by Nick Mamatas, one of her own allies, when her identity was being discussed in private SF circles.

Two, Laura Mixon isn't a Puppy by any stretch of the imagination--in fact, she was the one person in that category not nominated by either Sad or Rabid Puppies, who may have even pushed her report out of another category. Have you read her report? I mean really read it? It's well-documented that RH sent death, rape, and acid threats to people she didn't like; she drove one author to attempt suicide; and she disproportionately targeted women and people of color. There's more specific stuff here (with a scan of the acid threat), with a list of her victims here.

Other way around. Sad Puppies was the name chosen by the right-wing authors I mentioned, like Larry Correia. Rabid Puppies were led by Vox Day, who's basically a white supremacist, and who endorsed acid attacks on girls. Both of them, as I understand it, brought in help from GG to stack the awards in their favor.

It didn't work, because they lost in every category except one (and that one was because it was a lot of people like Guardians of the Galaxy).

This all looks like a very large gang of people stalking somebody because she called them racist.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

This all looks like a very large gang of people stalking somebody because she called them racist.

Third paragraph?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm all for critical analysis of video games and the characters in them, but when it's taken too seriously or too extreme that's when this really gets out of hand.

I want to be clear I don't have a problem with Anita Sarkeesian or Feminist Frequency, nor do I care about what they do, but I do think they're taking certain things the wrong way. I get that she's trying to give some criticism and statements about the current state of video games and how certain characters are perceived, but it generally comes across as "women are being mistreated in gaming" and that's why anti-Sarkeesian people always use this one nutshell statement, and others, as weapons to call bullshit on Anita in extreme lengths.

Female video game characters, whether they're "damsels in distress" or "strong, independent women", are merely works of fiction, and the fact that certain people take this seriously is a bit demoralising. You can say what you want about the portrayal of certain video game characters, but it should be taken with a grain of salt instead of going all out on them.

Once again, even if they make stupid statements about female game characters or how much extreme blood and violence is in DOOM 4 and Fallout 4, even though there were already complaints of the excessive amount of violence in the first DOOM game, or if it takes them a decade to finish the Tropes Vs. Women series, I couldn't care less about FemFreq in general.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Third paragraph?

I did

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm all for critical analysis of video games and the characters in them, but when it's taken too seriously or too extreme that's when this really gets out of hand.

I want to be clear I don't have a problem with Anita Sarkeesian or Feminist Frequency, nor do I care about what they do, but I do think they're taking certain things the wrong way. I get that she's trying to give some criticism and statements about the current state of video games and how certain characters are perceived, but it generally comes across as "women are being mistreated in gaming" and that's why anti-Sarkeesian people always use this one nutshell statement, and others, as weapons to call bullshit on Anita in extreme lengths.

Female video game characters, whether they're "damsels in distress" or "strong, independent women", are merely works of fiction, and the fact that certain people take this seriously is a bit demoralising. You can say what you want about the portrayal of certain video game characters, but it should be taken with a grain of salt instead of going all out on them.

Once again, even if they make stupid statements about female game characters or how much extreme blood and violence is in DOOM 4 and Fallout 4, even though there were already complaints of the excessive amount of violence in the first DOOM game, or if it takes them a decade to finish the Tropes Vs. Women series, I couldn't care less about FemFreq in general.

Have you heard of the Bible? A work of fiction people also take seriously and analyze.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wouldn't factor her twitter posts into what she puts into her videos. All of those are basically the exact same thing her boyfriend posts which leads me to believe that he just hijacks her account to leverage her fame into legitimizing his opinions. That's speculation, of course, but they say the exact same thing it's almost uncanny. He comes off as an insufferable, condescending prick while she has more tact and grace than that, despite what anyone thinks of her opinions or work.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Junior Jr. posted:

What the heck are you doing in the thread about internet critics?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Do you also hold this position for all other forms of fiction?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Idran posted:

Do you also hold this position for all other forms of fiction?

I just take them for what they are, if there's a work of fiction that I love or hate, I'd show why I love or hate it...but I don't make it personal like it's all that matters to me in life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

I just take them for what they are, if there's a work of fiction that I love or hate, I'd show why I love or hate it...but I don't make it personal like it's all that matters to me in life.

Some people think that media express the assumptions and values of the people who make them, and thus the premises and values of the culture in which they live.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junior Jr. posted:

What are they?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Junior Jr. posted:

Tweets bitching about violence in the new Doom were amazing entertainment and I'll 1v1 on Rust anyone who disagrees. Slappers only.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The home stretch of Sonichu begins.

Things just got very disturbing and weird in the world of CWCville...

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

If it's a film series like Back To The Future or a comic book superhero like Batman, I'll express why I love those types of fiction, BTTF because I enjoy time travel stories even if they are cliché, and Batman because the character and the stories always appeared more dark and mysterious, which I feel is a nice contrast compared to more upbeat and quirky superhero stories and characters like the ones from the Marvel universe.

Then there are certain things that I hate like Terminator 3, because as someone who's been following the Terminator franchise, it spoils all the fundamental events that happened in Terminator 2, even though I don't want to sound as it personally meant something for me, I still feel pissed off that T3 ruined what seemed like a great continuity ending to the franchise by bringing it back with an explanation that "it's inevitable" and the story never truly ends (in fact it's now gone in a completely new direction, case in point Genisys).

Once again. I know they're all works of fiction, and anyone can rewrite and change them depending on how they feel about them and what sounds good or not, but there are certain changes out there that I find disappointing.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 31, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DStecks posted:

It's a good video, though once again I find myself kinda frustrated that the videos are so academic in tone. I totally 100% understand why they are like that, they are meant to be academic, but the video basically boils down to "Games often use women as rewards for in-game accomplishments, let me spend 30 minutes explaining the ways in which video games reward behavior in general because I do not assume that you know anything about video games at all." And it's valuable to have stuff like this, that doesn't make any assumptions, but for me personally I wish there was somebody discussing this stuff who doesn't need to take 5 minutes to explain what an achievement is.

I think the videos are aimed more towards an audience who might not be familiar with video games.

Also, after watching the most recent video, I have to agree that do feel really dull and and lacking in energy. You can't make a 'master of unlocking' joke and phone-in the delivery like that. That's just not right.

Jimbot posted:

I wouldn't factor her twitter posts into what she puts into her videos. All of those are basically the exact same thing her boyfriend posts which leads me to believe that he just hijacks her account to leverage her fame into legitimizing his opinions. That's speculation, of course, but they say the exact same thing it's almost uncanny. He comes off as an insufferable, condescending prick while she has more tact and grace than that, despite what anyone thinks of her opinions or work.

I would think if that were that case, she'd tell him to stop doing that. Like you said, though, that might not be the case.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 31, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Jimbot posted:

If this is true, the irony would be palatable.

Have you heard of the Bible? A work of fiction people also take seriously and analyze.

*sighs as he slowly tips his fedora*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

If it's a film series like Back To The Future or a comic book superhero like Batman, I'll express why I love those types of fiction, BTTF because I enjoy time travel stories even if they are cliché, and Batman because the character and the stories always appeared more dark and mysterious, which I feel is a nice contrast compared to more upbeat and quirky superhero stories and characters like the ones from the Marvel universe.

Then there are certain things that I hate like Terminator 3, because as someone who's been following the Terminator franchise, it spoils all the fundamental events that happened in Terminator 2, even though I don't want to sound as it personally meant something for me, I still feel pissed off that T3 ruined what seemed like a great continuity ending to the franchise by bringing it back with an explanation that "it's inevitable" and the story never truly ends (in fact it's now gone in a completely new direction, case in point Genisys).

Once again. I know they're all works of fiction, and anyone can rewrite and change them depending on how they feel about them and what sounds good or not, but there are certain changes out there that I find disappointing.

to counter, have you considered that you're a tremendous loving idiot?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I can't believe these manchildren may control the fate of the Middle East.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Beefstew posted:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I think they're wonderful

Wait, never mind.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

Speak of the devil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEA7B3MKcg

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

What do you think about Jack Gladney's post that you may have missed?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Junior Jr. posted:

nor do I care about what they do, but I do think... three solid paragraphs

Ok.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm glad most of the start is just them laughing at what a baby man Landis is.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Idran posted:

What do you think about Jack Gladney's post that you may have missed?

I'm just bringing this one up quickly, but yes he does make a good point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm glad most of the start is just them laughing at what a baby man Landis is.

I will admit, I did like his Wrestling isn't Wrestling video.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

I will admit, I did like his Wrestling isn't Wrestling video.

Yea credit where it's due, that was solid as hell.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0:

Beefstew posted:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mad Lupine posted:

If this is true, the irony would be palatable.

*sighs as he slowly tips his fedora*

I wasn't trying to be a dick, just trying to articulate that analysis is how people approach everything.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

I wasn't trying to be a dick, just trying to articulate that analysis is how people approach everything.

Poe's law strikes again!

...Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

I think this proves that Chronicle will be the only film anyone remembers Max for.

Fun Fact: Did you know Max Landis wrote SCP-2137? No really.

• Locked thread