Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nckdictator posted:

It's seriously hosed up that one of the US's oldest ships is rusting away due to a lack of donations.

there are a bunch more things in the US that are more hosed up than this, who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

JawKnee posted:

there are a bunch more things in the US that are more hosed up than this, who cares

I agree with you and I'd rather spend resources on better things, but it still sucks to see things waste away. Even if it was a machine of war.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

itskage posted:

I agree with you and I'd rather spend resources on better things, but it still sucks to see things waste away. Even if it was a machine of war.

Restore it to pristine condition. Send it to the Mediterranean to ferry refugees to western Europe. Win/Win!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Hubis posted:

Restore it to pristine condition. Send it to the Mediterranean to ferry refugees to western Europe. Win/Win!

We have an obligation to share American wall technology with our European brothers.

Nah I'm just loving with ya Biden 2016.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Went antiquing with the woman this weekend. Some ironic in retrospect ads and headlines.

Solves the mystery of why Donald didn't wear pants, ((hey, he was a sailor)

I remember that movie being one of my favorites when I was kid. I wonder if it's horrifically offensive now?

Here's the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKHsVajBvc

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

JawKnee posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to only care about one thing at a time. That's pretty much the same argument as "Why should we care about women earning less then men in the workplace, there are women being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia?"

Historical preservation is a huge deal.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 31, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Stay classy conservatives

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

C.M. Kruger posted:

The USS Texas (the only remaining dreadnought) is in a similar sorry state. Supposedly they're still plugging holes in the hull with rags and the plans to place her in a dry berth have apparently been shelved due to a lack of money.

Scuttle the fucker.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

A Winner is Jew posted:

There is nothing objectionable about an image of a black man being lynched.

That's a post card?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hubis posted:

Would be a cool idea that the USN even already has experience in.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

There is nothing objectionable about an image of a black man being lynched.

And if he is guilty of war crimes (which he almost certainly is)? What then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD9uSrNFT4

Alternatively, if you can't stand listening to Chomsky speak, as I cannot.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

The H in Benghazi is not silent, but an artefact of making it understandable to Americans. In the actual name, the H is not there in any way, much like Hillary was not involved in the events.

From a Danish newspaper: Xenophobic populist Kristian Thulesen Dahl saying "I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that Denmark's legal reservation to the EU means that we're not part of the EU immigration policy, so I'd recommend picking another country"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Our little town is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKflKzmfRCw
https://shannynmoore.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/sarah-palins-homer-moment/

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

JawKnee posted:

Boy I wonder if one of those guys standing in line is a welder! It's almost like not funding domestic stuff is related to lots of people being unemployed.

Oh well, maybe they can just turn that boat into a condominium for rich people.

The grain pier that was the focus of Season 2 from the Wire turned into a loving condo.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Boy I wonder if one of those guys standing in line is a welder! It's almost like not funding domestic stuff is related to lots of people being unemployed.

Oh well, maybe they can just turn that boat into a condominium for rich people.

The grain pier that was the focus of Season 2 from the Wire turned into a loving condo.

Paying those hypothetical welders to cut the ship up and scuttle it in the middle of the bay would be just as economically beneficial (if not moreso) so that doesn't really seem like an argument.

Nckdictator posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to only care about one thing at a time. That's pretty much the same argument as "Why should we care about women earning less then men in the workplace, there are women being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia?"

Historical preservation is a huge deal.

The argument is that the two things are directly comparable because they can both be translated to the same basis (cash to spend on programs). Of course, they're actually incomparable because they don't really draw from the same cash base given that they have different political accessibility: every dollar for restoring a historical landmark comes at a different political cost than every dollar for a work, education, body-camera, whatever program. Spending money on one doesn't necessarily take money from the other.

So you can have relative priorities while not completely discounting as an error anything which advances something which isn't the top priority.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Shapiro of Breitbart

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ben Shapiro of Breitbart

Hey the broken clock is right this time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

C.M. Kruger posted:

The USS Texas (the only remaining dreadnought) is in a similar sorry state. Supposedly they're still plugging holes in the hull with rags and the plans to place her in a dry berth have apparently been shelved due to a lack of money.

Too bad it doesn't have the original lattice masts and superstructure.

I've toured the Mikasa and I wish they had restored the interior to original, to get an idea of what life on those old ships was like

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mist showers are a great way to keep cool outside in summer, but you have to be careful where you place them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mulva posted:

Hey the broken clock is right this time.

It's really more like how noon and midnight are the same time.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hubis posted:

Paying those hypothetical welders to cut the ship up and scuttle it in the middle of the bay would be just as economically beneficial (if not moreso) so that doesn't really seem like an argument.

I don't see how this disputes my argument that there's a ton of work that needs to be done and a ton of people out of work willing to do it.

Also I am not sure how you figure sinking a ship instead of restoring it and using it as a museum would be better for the economy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Steel ships are boring, we have thousands of those. Break 'em down into scrap.

Sailing ships can stay.

MV Kalakala, a notable ferry in the puget sound region. Some effort was made to fund its restoration by its owner, but failed. Was completely scrapped earlier this year.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Neopagans?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kudos to the klan for dialing in exactly how threatening to LE they want to be.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've toured the Mikasa and I wish they had restored the interior to original, to get an idea of what life on those old ships was like

This is her sister ship, the Esukasa

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Neopagans, the most benign, harmless group of old hippies left in America are a terrorist threat.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Neopagans, the most benign, harmless group of old hippies left in America are a terrorist threat.

Neopaganism is associated with a lot of violent white supremacist groups.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Asatru in particular, which is a cobbling together of Viking religion. In Europe, it's associated with Scandinavia and their cultural heritage. In America, it's associated with Scandinavia and their incredible whiteness.

Asatru priest:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Even within scandinavia a lot of the weirdos that believe in the Ásatrú have connection to far-right racist groups like:

and similiar shitheads.

I almost wanna say that most of the time when you see someone wearing a Thor's hammer necklace and they're not too into metal they're just a breath away from spouting white supremacy bs.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's a real shame, too, because the icons are cool and the myths are neato. The Icelandic branch is building the first temple in 1,000 years and said to the BBC -

quote:

“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.”
- so they're pretty self-aware and non-literalist. It'd be fun to get into if it weren't for all the racists. I don't think they really appreciate goat roasts and amusingly specific magic runes anyways. :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't see how this disputes my argument that there's a ton of work that needs to be done and a ton of people out of work willing to do it.

Also I am not sure how you figure sinking a ship instead of restoring it and using it as a museum would be better for the economy.

Eh, I was mostly using it as a chance to make a glib joke about the Broken Window Fallacy (hence the image of Dr. Krugman). You can mostly disregard.

You're absolutely right that, in a slump featuring under-utilized labor, domestic programs of any sort would be economically beneficial. Paying people to bury gold in the ground would be more valuable than just saving that gold in a bank somewhere, for example. Given that historical restoration has non-economic benefits and political appeal that makes it more likely to be enacted it is inherently convenient and so would be a good idea.

However, that's not to say that it would be just as economically stimulative as actual public works programs, like (say) paying those welders/masons/whatever to rebuild some of the crumbling and under-funded infrastructure that's rotting out under the country. Spending which both employs the under-employed and adds 'velocity' to the monetary base AND which provides net economic benefit for the future is always going to be preferable; the problem is simply that such programs are often infeasible because of partisan/class politics, so the best you can do is spend money on "useless" things like the military, national parks, historic restoration, etc.

Of course this kind of argument leads neo-liberal types to argue that Keynesian economics is wrong because it dictates things like natural disasters are good for the economy. Krugman got a lot of flak for arguing that World War 2 helped end the Great Depression because it forced a bunch of stimulative spending. Those people are generally either arguing in bad faith or just not understanding the point (that something is better than nothing, but that doesn't mean we should go out breaking windows just so people have to fix them).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Animal rights / environmental radicals - 0 deaths in 25 years

Anti - abortion radicals - multiple murders, terrorist bombings and mass shootings as recently as 2012

Better watch out for those animal rights wackos!

e: whoops thought this was the email forwards thread. pic:

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Animal rights / environmental radicals - 0 deaths in 25 years

Anti - abortion radicals - multiple murders, terrorist bombings and mass shootings as recently as 2012

Better watch out for those animal rights wackos!

Whatever. A 5 second google search:

an animal rights zealot. He is under federal indictment for allegedly igniting explosive devices outside two Northern California firms – biotechnology giant Chiron and homecare-product manufacturer Shaklee — in 2003. The FBI says a potentially deadly second explosive at Shaklee, strapped with nails and likely targeted at first responders, was defused.

http://www.psmag.com/politics-and-law/when-extreme-animal-rights-activists-attack-40430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Even within scandinavia a lot of the weirdos that believe in the Ásatrú have connection to far-right racist groups like:

and similiar shitheads.

I almost wanna say that most of the time when you see someone wearing a Thor's hammer necklace and they're not too into metal they're just a breath away from spouting white supremacy bs.
There's a not-insignificant overlap between white supremacists (specifically the sort who go on at length about preserving European culture but get all huffy and defensive when they infer that you think they're even slightly racist) and metalheads who go in for the whole pagan thing :ssh:

• Locked thread