Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Besser is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Agreed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Eltoasto posted:

Besser's great idea was the 25 point hoop way above the normal basket.

I mean if someone stole that idea from me I'd be pissed for the rest of my life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo, guys. Why aren't you talking about Wild Horses on Howl? It's like the best parts of I4H and Spontaneanation, but without all the dumb bullshit that ruins both of those shows. A good, communal interview, followed by great improv that isn't dominated by a horrible overbearing Matt Besser authority figure.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Glanced at the earwolf forums before I go to bed and it appears the Howl.FM app is poo poo. I still haven't downloaded it. Biggest issues seem to be that the downloaded episodes in the app don't stay downloaded, it crashes a lot, you can't fast forward (jesus christ), also and to quote the forum, "ATTENTION: iTunes is not accepting our coupon codes.. if you want to use a host promo code for the 30 day trial you have to sign up on Howl.fm first and not inside the app.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Glanced at the earwolf forums before I go to bed and it appears the Howl.FM app is poo poo. I still haven't downloaded it. Biggest issues seem to be that the downloaded episodes in the app don't stay downloaded, it crashes a lot, you can't fast forward (jesus christ), also and to quote the forum, "ATTENTION: iTunes is not accepting our coupon codes.. if you want to use a host promo code for the 30 day trial you have to sign up on Howl.fm first and not inside the app.
I have tried to be completely supportive about this whole thing but at this point, it's really hard to view this in any way other than being charged to access content that has been available for free for years through an app that is obectively worse than every free, existing podcast app.

I sincerely hope they quickly work to fix everything about this, but based on what I've seen from every single attempt to digitize comedy content (other than Louis CK's service), they just don't understand how important it is to make every aspect of these things work well.

Release the app first, make sure it works properly, THEN monetize.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Howl is literally a content destroyer

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
All I want is to listen to the old episodes of Maron that I paid money for back in like June. The WTF app sucked dicks, the Howl app sucks dicks, and I listen to podcasts while at work, where there's no wifi.

It's kinda a moot point right now because I'm using an Android device, but that's just another reason to be annoyed.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I hate iTunes just as much as the next guy, but i'm sure glad I relented several years ago and installed it just for the podcasts. I've got just about every episode I could ever want! And it looks like they've forgotten to stop allowing old episodes to be downloaded, because every CBB and WTF episode is still available. I guess i'll have to check and see what else is still there too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I had the Howl app crash on me a few times when trying to play old CBB eps, so I just downloaded every ep of every show I listen to or have an interest in starting to listen to in the near future, because I don't see things getting much better based on Earwolf's history with apps. It doesn't seem like they have anyone over there with enough technical knowledge to make this work correctly, much less making it my go-to app for podcasts.

That being said, if anyone is signing up, using the promo code WTF cut a dollar / month off the price for me and looks to be a permanent discount.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ArtVandelay posted:

I hate iTunes just as much as the next guy, but i'm sure glad I relented several years ago and installed it just for the podcasts. I've got just about every episode I could ever want! And it looks like they've forgotten to stop allowing old episodes to be downloaded, because every CBB and WTF episode is still available. I guess i'll have to check and see what else is still there too.

I believe because they know their app is still loving off they haven't paywalled the WTF or CBB episodes yet. Once things sort of start working that 6 month cut off will go in effect.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Is Wild Horses: Perspectives going to be more than 5 episodes? It's a pretty amazing podcast, it would be a shame if that's all they did.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I think it's a cool way to do limited series, which is hard to get ad support for, but otherwise the Howl app is very pretty but undercooked and needs some work.

To be honest, the subscription doesn't bother me. They have busted their rear end off for years for nothing, and if they need another way to keep the ship going that's fine. I also like having a big list of earwolf and wolf pop stuff to browse through. It's easier than doing it in Downcast.

Thanks to Howl I finally checked out I was there too and it's so great.

The Wild Horses one is super amazing too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ArtVandelay posted:

Is Wild Horses: Perspectives going to be more than 5 episodes? It's a pretty amazing podcast, it would be a shame if that's all they did.

I think they do it live like once a month or something, I see them plugging it on Twitter sometimes. Maybe they'll start releasing the audio of those?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I downloaded all of Reality Show Show earlier today so I would always have access to it. This is your reminder to do the same, and also that Sean's story about his high school trip to the Louvre in the episode "Freaks Come Out at Night" is absolutely fantastic.

"That's right, go; go back to high school, little boy..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 31, 2015

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I downloaded all of Reality Show Show earlier today so I would always have access to it. This is your reminder to do the same, and also that Sean's story about his high school trip to the Louvre in the episode "Freaks Come Out at Night" is absolutely fantastic.

"That's right, go; go back to high school, little boy..."

Haha I was just thinking about that story.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Adam Sachs just popped up to talk about Howl in this thread: http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/25100-questions-for-scott-re-howl/page__st__380

Hopefully he sticks around and answers questions.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
But a part of me was like, no. I'm not a little boy. Jerk me off in the Louvre and make me cum in my pants.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Not Earwolf but there's an amazing Chevy Chase Being A loving Dick story on this week's Doug Loves Movies with Adam Scott and the How Did This Get Made boys.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

But a part of me was like, no. I'm not a little boy. Jerk me off in the Louvre and make me cum in my pants.

I think my favorite part is Hayes' nonplussed "I think that's really a testament to how much pants have changed, that she could just reach right in and jerk you off" reaction. I know it's because he'd heard it before, but still.

tnimark posted:

Adam Sachs just popped up to talk about Howl in this thread: http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/25100-questions-for-scott-re-howl/page__st__380

Hopefully he sticks around and answers questions.

Has anyone told him about how you can easily steal the premium content?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

snitch

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

JethroMcB posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Just got Andy Daly's and Hannibal Burress' albums.

jyrka fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 31, 2015

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Has anyone reminded the teacher to assign homework?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I just want SOMEONE in the organization to understand how badly they have bungled this, after putting it off for half a year to get things "right."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

How? I actually have a subscription thanks to my old WTF App subscription, but I never got THAT loving thing to work, and now I'm on Android and there's no app for it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Someone posted about it earlier in the thread, about how with basic HTTP knowledge you can isolate the mp3s on the Howl site and download them, and it doesn't check to see if you're logged in or anything.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

rotinaj posted:

How? I actually have a subscription thanks to my old WTF App subscription, but I never got THAT loving thing to work, and now I'm on Android and there's no app for it.

You don't need an app to access their website. It's https://www.howl.fm

To be honest I don't really get why people are whining so much about the android app. Everyone has Google Chrome, right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because the vast majority of people use their phones to listen to podcasts in situations where they aren't in front of their computers? And the majority of smartphones are Android devices? Maybe that's why.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Because the vast majority of people use their phones to listen to podcasts in situations where they aren't in front of their computers? And the majority of smartphones are Android devices? Maybe that's why.

:lol:

Do you not have internet on your phone?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

I have internet on my phone, but I'd rather not have to use it if I'm going to be in a place where the only option is 4G.

If Howl worked on my android phone, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat and use it to download and listen to archives but it doesn't, so I won't.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

feedmyleg posted:

And the majority of smartphones are Android devices? Maybe that's why.

I thought I remember seeing some Midroll survey results that skewed heavy iOS for their listeners and choice of technology. Not arguing against a simultaneous launch, however.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
People are also upset because the mobile site sucks. People want to be able to download the shows whether it be an MP3 or archived/saved into the app, which as it stands now is buggy as hell and doesn't work well.

And it is stupid even if android was only 20 percent of your mobile user base to not have that because then you're just throwing money away. It's stupid.

And yes all you have to do to download premium content is go to the landing page for a show and open the source and control F ".mp3" and you can download anything right now. It's hilarious.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

jyrka posted:

Do you have a magical phone where internet connection works in a subway? Or is never spotty? Or a sugardaddy who pays for all the data you use?

I'm kinda glad my iPhone 4S can't even run the new Howl app. Hopefully by the time I can upgrade in November, all the kinks will be worked out because I actually want to give Scotty 2 Hotty $5 a month.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sean and Hayes have been killing me with their Scripps and Howl riffs for the past month or so.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Do you have a magical phone where internet connection works in a subway? Or is never spotty? Or a sugardaddy who pays for all the data you use?

I'm kinda glad my iPhone 4S can't even run the new Howl app. Hopefully by the time I can upgrade in November, all the kinks will be worked out because I actually want to give Scotty 2 Hotty $5 a month.

Actually yes we do have cell reception in subways here now.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Why does it need to be an app having a download feature rather than the website? What makes going to a website through an app better than a browser?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jyrka posted:

Do you play a lot of MP3s via your mobile browser? How about on Android? It's a garbage experience. Have you ever tried to download an entire archive of MP3s onto a device, then have them stored and organized in an easy-to-play manner? Nobody is saying "It's literally impossible for me to listen to Howl on my phone!" They are saying that it's a terrible, awkward, and clunky experience even when it does work. Plus, as pointed out above, people who commute or don't live in great service areas don't have consistent data connections. That includes commuters in, say, LA and New York, the two biggest comedy communities in the US and the people most likely to listen to Earwolf.

I mean, keep the lovely weirdly elitist attitude by all means, but at least recognize that a significant percentage of real people are having real problems with how this system works currently.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 1, 2015

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I really want them to say at this point "Ok we hosed up but if we let you just download MP3's from the website will you still subscribe?"

Because the answer would be yes, yes you silly fucks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

piratepilates posted:

Actually yes we do have cell reception in subways here now.

Whaaaat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I hope Sean has managed to rein in the horrible, sentient rear end in a top hat cleaning machine that roams his house :ohdear: