Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
When the villains (who aren't part of nazarick) do stupidly vicious and gruesome stuff, that is to establish them as Bad People so that it is okay for our (evil) heroes to kill them in a correspondingly brutal way. It is silly and completely lacks nuance, but that is true for pretty much all of overlord. However, it does serve a purpose for the story. I'm not really sure what, if any, purpose it has when the nazarick folks turn on the gore machine the rest of the time. It might just be gratuitous violence for its own sake (incredibly likely), or it may have a meaning down the road (ha ha, not a chance).

The funny thing is, the guild members who created these horrible monsters were just having fun in a mmo. Sticking in a dandy demon npc who is real evil and mean and stuff was just going with the theme of their guild hall. It wasn't like they ever expected their jokey guard npcs to come to life and start acting out this crap. If by some chance Ains does actually find one of his old friends, I kinda doubt they would like seeing what became of the guild. Ains doesn't really care though, because he is just very glad to have his friends' 'children' around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Touch Me would probably not be pleased.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
A factor that doesn't show up much in the anime since they cut most of the internal monologues is that Ains is constantly on his tippy toes around the "kids", because while they may worship him now, if they ever decide he's not quite freaking awesome enough, he'll face an army led by multiple lv100 monsters. Combined with Demiurge and Albedo being extremely competent it results in an ever slippier slope for Ains to retain his humanity, as he pretends their brilliant plans were his own all along.

I think the gore is a necessity for this, because it gives a sense of dread over Ains' future mental state, even if it's increasingly unpleasant (especially in later volumes). Will he continue to let evil twist his fate, or will he realize what he's about to become and rebel against it, etc, etc. If everyone was nice and sweet, there wouldn't be much left of this psychological aspect of the story. Of course you could ask why it has to take 10+ or whatever books to develop.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

A factor that doesn't show up much in the anime since they cut most of the internal monologues is that Ains is constantly on his tippy toes around the "kids", because while they may worship him now, if they ever decide he's not quite freaking awesome enough, he'll face an army led by multiple lv100 monsters. Combined with Demiurge and Albedo being extremely competent it results in an ever slippier slope for Ains to retain his humanity, as he pretends their brilliant plans were his own all along.

I think the gore is a necessity for this, because it gives a sense of dread over Ains' future mental state, even if it's increasingly unpleasant (especially in later volumes). Will he continue to let evil twist his fate, or will he realize what he's about to become and rebel against it, etc, etc. If everyone was nice and sweet, there wouldn't be much left of this psychological aspect of the story. Of course you could ask why it has to take 10+ or whatever books to develop.

I'd say Ainz's development with regards to that is actually a pretty weak part of the books, because I still don't think he's faced a truly trying challenge up to this point, he kinda just rolls forward over everything like a force of nature for nine books. Maybe 10 will change that but I honestly doubt it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If the subordinates finally go too far, if powers beyond even his level finally appear, if something like a mass local uprising were to happen as nazrick's increasingly terrifying reputation unites absolutely every man woman and child against Ainz finally, those would be cool, but I bet instead some big threat will show up, be immediately destroyed by high level magic, and Ainz will be even stronger by the end of it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I get the impression LNs are basically little 50 page things people pick up to read on the train for a couple bucks. If that's the case I'm not really surprised that there are so many. Ains is basically the modern day equivalent of a popular character from pulp magazines.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LN is just the equivalent of a YA novel that often has illustrated pictures of some of the scenes in it, the overlord ones are actually pretty big from what I reckon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

LN is just the equivalent of a YA novel that often has illustrated pictures of some of the scenes in it, the overlord ones are actually pretty big from what I reckon.

Game of Thrones with illustrations :troll:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I get the impression LNs are basically little 50 page things people pick up to read on the train for a couple bucks. If that's the case I'm not really surprised that there are so many. Ains is basically the modern day equivalent of a popular character from pulp magazines.

Overlord vols 1-2 on the left, Haruhi vols 1-2 on the right. 33cl Pepsi can in the middle for size reference.

Overlord novels cost 1000 yen each, regular light novels (like Haruhi) cost around 600 yen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pepsi.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Technically isn't Ainz still way more powerful than any of his underlings even if they're level 100 as well?

Sharkopath posted:

Pepsi.

bepsi

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Technically isn't Ainz still way more powerful than any of his underlings even if they're level 100 as well?

Wouldn't make much of a raid event if a single player could waltz right through the defences, would it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

He doesn't know what the hell these former npcs are. They remember what happened when they were npcs, but don't seem to remember actually being npcs. Their brief character bios were never intended as the basis for sentient beings, either.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Certainly not all of them at once. Maybe if he used all the world class items at once. Even then though, he'd have trouble. He is not a powerbuild, he is a roleplaying build.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, especially if he's using the staff iirc.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Which made has the biggest numbers and then which maid has the biggest numbers.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Solution, sometimes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm not sure why there would be any conflict between Ainz and his subordinates. Didn't they establish in episode 1 that he can use his artifact Staff to change their settings, even without the console? That ought to ensure absolute obedience.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Which maid has the hypest baps?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I'm not sure why there would be any conflict between Ainz and his subordinates. Didn't they establish in episode 1 that he can use his artifact Staff to change their settings, even without the console? That ought to ensure absolute obedience.

He changed Albedo's settings before the jump. He can't see their settings at all now, much less change them. The UI from the mmo is completely gone. Also, the contradiction in Albedo's settings are probably driving her insane.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Namtab posted:

Nermal

The real answer is honestly none of those maids are all that interesting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Namtab posted:

^^^

Jackard posted:

Solution, sometimes.

I'm okay with Ains kind of descending into evil alongside his horrifying NPCs. I like the tone they take sometimes where Ains's internal monologue is just kind of along for the ride, and he presents himself as the usual cool and ruthless Ains outwardly, except sometimes as a joke like when Naberal called him out on not just sending recon monsters.

I want to see more of that down the line, where Ains is kind of horrified deep down, but all that comes out is *unemotional skeleton stare*. It's an interesting character arc to see him, potentially, slowly free fall into being the supervillain all his minions expect him to be, despite not necessarily wanting to deep down.

^^^LN talk up in the thread sounds like some straight-up edgy fanfiction by a 14yo, though, so hopefully that gets smoothed out a little in the manga. It sounds like each iteration of the story has filtered the writing a bit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

Nermal

The real answer is honestly none of those maids are all that interesting.

That has nothing to do with the question. I'm sensing this thread is becoming infested with trolls...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

That has nothing to do with the question. I'm sensing this thread is becoming infested with trolls...

I hope you're on the case

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*Holding a stack of Identify Lesser Troll scrolls*

Okay, we're ready now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Which maid has a dog head? She is probably the sexiest one, because I am sexually attracted to dogs, maids and dog maids.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

*Holding a stack of Identify Lesser Troll scrolls*

Okay, we're ready now.

Do those work on Greater Trolls...just asking for a friend....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

Do those work on Greater Trolls...just asking for a friend....

We're safe because there's no such thing as a Greater Troll on this dying website, anymore.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Which maid has a dog head? She is probably the sexiest one, because I am sexually attracted to dogs, maids and dog maids.

Thank you for your refreshing honesty, user Serious Frolicking.

I don't think I have a waifu in this show :confused:
Even Albedo is maybe a little too horrifying. She crosses over the usual "scary girl" trope and enters "gross roommate" territory, instead.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

He changed Albedo's settings before the jump. He can't see their settings at all now, much less change them. The UI from the mmo is completely gone. Also, the contradiction in Albedo's settings are probably driving her insane.

What contradiction?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sharkopath posted:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In case people missed it, they also translated the intermission chapter in addition to chapter 9. I know for sure I just found out.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

cant this thread be more of this and less of everything else

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sharkopath posted:

*Holding a stack of Identify Lesser Troll scrolls* Okay, we're ready now.
FOOL!

- you should always cast these first.

*drops an assortment of counterspells*

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

In case people missed it, they also translated the intermission chapter in addition to chapter 9. I know for sure I just found out.

*eyes popping out of my head and theyre' out and they didn't go back in*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

*eyes popping out of my head and theyre' out and they didn't go back in*

:eyepop:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artificer posted:

Touch Me would probably not be pleased.

Sebas has a straight up good Alignment. And part of his personality is that he will always look out for the Weak and Helpless, but is very loyal to Nazarick. He also hates Demiurge, guess why.

Yuri Alpha, and CZ Delta are also Good Aligned, though not as much as Sebas. Cocyutus and Victim are Neutral and Everyone else in Nazarick shown is some degree of evil. Demiurge and Albedo being the worst.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sebas has a straight up good Alignment. And part of his personality is that he will always look out for the Weak and Helpless, but is very loyal to Nazarick. He also hates Demiurge, guess why.

Yuri Alpha, and CZ Delta are also Good Aligned, though not as much as Sebas. Cocyutus and Victim are Neutral and Everyone else in Nazarick shown is some degree of evil. Demiurge and Albedo being the worst.

This sounds like a hostile workplace. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artificer posted:

This sounds like a hostile workplace. :(

Demiurge and Shalltear are stated to be utterly horrible to their minions. Demiurge while polite and everything with his equals and superiors is also noted to dislike all of them other then Ainz and Mare.

To be exact he thinks Albedo is insane and not suited for her position as overseer of the guardians. (this is true.) Thinks Shalltear is a loose cannon with too much freedom (also true.) Thinks Cocytus is a dumb brute who cares too much about honor. And he hates Sebas because he is a good person who tries to do the right thing even if it would not be overall the best for Nazarick. However as mentioned he likes and respects Mare. He likes him because Mare is very intelligent and ruthless, but hides it well under the shy exterior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

• Locked thread