Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RedHotKick posted:

Started the free trial this weekend, absolutely loving this game. Is there any armour inspired by Amano's orig FF artwork? Like beads and sashes? Want to make a Firion-styled dude in aesthetics cos that poo poo's cool to me!
Although most gear you'll find in the general world is pretty regular for the fantasy genre yeah there is some stuff like that. Aside from veteran rewards (a literal Firion armourset) there are sets from the old alliance raids; Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower and World of Darkness, that are based on older FF designs and are generally pretty crazy with the huge cloaks, poofy hats and primary colours. There's also some glamour gear at higher level like the (extremely expensive) Thavnarian sets. No doubt other stuff too people know of that I don't.

If you want to look like a piece of Amano artwork it'll be more difficult and expensive than looking like a generic fantasy knight but you can definitely do it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I have no idea what went down in the rogue questline because the thieves' cant is completely incomprehensible to me as a non-native

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, same, and I tried hard to read it. It just flew over my head.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Basically, all rogues are Batman.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Darkmans

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Jacke eats the catgirls sandwich and the is some subplot about some artifacts or something.

The best part is afterwards sometimes you see the catgirl eating a sandwich outside the Bismark in limsa

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Chinese Batman posted:

I felt like I was Oliver Twist joining the pickpocket guild.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Is it that hard to understand? Maybe I read too many fantasy books as a kid, made up accents are nothing to me now.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The greatest mistake of SCH quests was not continuing the ACN quests. But at least we got Tonberries being awesome from 54-60.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

The greatest mistake of SCH quests was not continuing the ACN quests. But at least we got Tonberries being awesome from 54-60.

SMN is great because it's the best Scion's sister asking every 5 levels "How would you like some ancient powerful magic?"

There's also some kind of B plot involving some idiot raiding with ifrit and the Ascian JV team but SOMEBODY needs to be there to be deathflared.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
WAR quests lv 52-60 are muscular roegadyns getting sweaty and slapping each other.

what's there not to like?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DolphinCop posted:

if theres anything truly annoying about class/job quests its that they never tie into each other or even acknowledge one another in the slightest outside of the class master telling you where to go to get your job crystal

I do like that the non-class quests that send you to a guild have special dialogue for if you're leveled in that class. I got sent to the THM guild for an Idyllshire quest and got greeted with "Ah, our very own avatar of destruction. What can I do for you?" :3:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kuvo posted:

WAR quests lv 52-60 are muscular roegadyns getting sweaty and slapping each other.

I appreciate that the warrior questline gives a canonical explanation for being a tank; Your character has done all these amazing feats that basically no other warrior has, and it turns out the reason you can is because protecting others unleashes the TRUE inner beast.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I appreciate how the WAR questline keeps pointing back to how everyone in Wineport was murdered but nothing is really done about it besides saying "Maybe don't get that mad again, ok?".

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DRG 50-60 is really bad :smith:

But I suppose it's dramatically anime enough to fit the tone of Ishgard.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

I appreciate that the warrior questline gives a canonical explanation for being a tank; Your character has done all these amazing feats that basically no other warrior has, and it turns out the reason you can is because protecting others unleashes the TRUE inner beast.

That's awesome. I should really work through the quests because I thought it would be nothing but breaking rocks with axes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I appreciate DRK storyline calling out things I've done during 2.X.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ps am no frog posted:

Jacke eats the catgirls sandwich and the is some subplot about some artifacts or something.

The best part is afterwards sometimes you see the catgirl eating a sandwich outside the Bismark in limsa

All you need to know is that the Rogues' Guild is the Pirate Police and the Yellowjackets are mad because they feel like they should be the sole policing force in Limsa because they aren't tainted by piracy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Countblanc posted:

They also set themselves up nicely to get rid of the marauder class altogether by inviting the brothers to teach.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
We need a new Scholar for our static due to current scholar having real life stuff come up. We are working on Savage 3 Please read linked op below and message those people.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27576&pid=111098#pid111098

Draynar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 1, 2015

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Sarrisan posted:

Is it that hard to understand? Maybe I read too many fantasy books as a kid, made up accents are nothing to me now.

If English was a second language I could see it. I mean, I can read Spanish but if someone was using some bastardized piratey Spanish with weird words mixed in I'd probably have a really hard time with it.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Sarrisan posted:

I skipped through the majority of the 1-50 CUL and BSM story quests, even though I could read them. It was just painful to decipher and wasn't really necessary since I could fill the story in from most of the rest of the NPCs.

e: assuming that the THF guys have the same mystery accent that these quest chains did.

Pews fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ilifinicus posted:

I have no idea what went down in the rogue questline because the thieves' cant is completely incomprehensible to me as a non-native

Don't worry, it's really dumb and not understanding it would've been an improvement.

If you've ever watched Batman:TAS basically Rogues are Batman and the Yellowjackets are Gordon's fat rear end in a top hat partner who hates Batman.

Kuvo posted:

Running that questline as a Roe makes it so much better because it's Roe Bros all the wall. Also the Marauder's Guild getting replaced with a Warrior's Guild is rad. :black101:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Fell Cleave... :stwoon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zeratanis posted:

Fell Cleave... :stwoon:

its real good op.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chinese Batman posted:

They tried dark knight and switched back?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If I can figure out how to play the melody to Wake Me Up with sound effects my Living Dead macro will be 100% complete, as of right now it's only 95% complete. Grr.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

RedHotKick posted:

Started the free trial this weekend, absolutely loving this game. Is there any armour inspired by Amano's orig FF artwork? Like beads and sashes? Want to make a Firion-styled dude in aesthetics cos that poo poo's cool to me!

The Labyrinth of the Ancients armor is all very amano-derivative, and the weapons that go along with that armor is very much in that style. The tank set is straight up the FF1 Warrior of Light with a circlet that drops in the dungeon and a helmet only attainable from the 2.0 Collectors Edition

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Rei_ posted:

The Labyrinth of the Ancients armor is all very amano-derivative, and the weapons that go along with that armor is very much in that style. The tank set is straight up the FF1 Warrior of Light with a circlet that drops in the dungeon and a helmet only attainable from the 2.0 Collectors Edition

What weapons go along with the LotA armor?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just did the Rising event. That was an awesome surprise. :allears:

I was kind of taken aback at how open Yoshi-P got about the failure of 1.0.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Rowenas Token weapons (Break Blade/Dual Haken/Hellish Claws/Cognitome/Omnitome/etc) were a bunch of FF3 weapons and debuted alongside LOTA which was the FF3 dungeon

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Sure is awesome when you roll on 15 springs during one week and never roll above a 40.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Is there a way to increase TP regen through food or gear? I'm paranoid about using things like Shield Bash in big fights because I start to run low on TP and then someone will break aggro while I'm regenning and then we die and it's all my fault and OMG gently caress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is there a way to increase TP regen through food or gear?

You could create a text macro to yell at a NIN, BRD or MCH to give you TP.

I've been running FATES and dungeons on my DRK and since we got TP bars on Tuesday I've noticed that the appropriate classes are actually using the TP abilities as appropriate. Kinda surprised tbh, especially in FATES.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is there a way to increase TP regen through food or gear? I'm paranoid about using things like Shield Bash in big fights because I start to run low on TP and then someone will break aggro while I'm regenning and then we die and it's all my fault and OMG gently caress.

No

Also don't use Shield Bash unless the fight specifically requires it (very few fights require stuns that your dps can't take care of)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
^^^^okay

hobbesmaster posted:

You could create a text macro to yell at a NIN, BRD or MCH to give you TP.

I've been running FATES and dungeons on my DRK and since we got TP bars on Tuesday I've noticed that the appropriate classes are actually using the TP abilities as appropriate. Kinda surprised tbh, especially in FATES.

gently caress BRDs. The brd population of Famfrit is enough to make me willing to pay to move to Excal. Useless inattentive bunch of shitheads. Fuckers couldn't focus on a target if you paid them, and run around like a drat rabbit if something looks at them because they drew aggro being the only one attacking that mob.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

All of the Rogue guys' dialogue is 100% understandable if you just bother to read the sentences and understand context. :v:

I do like how they show up during the Ninja quests now and then. It helps maintain the feeling that you are indeed a standard fantasy heroic-thief archetype who's actually learning an exotic foreign art, and at the same time actively helping maintain good diplomatic relations between a city-state and refugees. There's something poetic about the ale-swilling scallywags being the ones who've actually got the Domans' backs.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress BRDs. The brd population of Famfrit is enough to make me willing to pay to move to Excal. Useless inattentive bunch of shitheads. Fuckers couldn't focus on a target if you paid them, and run around like a drat rabbit if something looks at them because they drew aggro being the only one attacking that mob.

They stop with this bullshit once they hit 52 thanks to Wanderer's Minuet. Speaking as one who actually enjoys playing BRD and MCH, this seemingly burdensome ability is a blessing to those who don't for the exact goddamn annoying reason you state.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mazed posted:

All of the Rogue guys' dialogue is 100% understandable if you just bother to read the sentences and understand context. :v:

I played with a grognard tonight in Sohm Al who bragged about how he had never paid a single bit of attention to the story or script since 1.25.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

People are pulling aggro because you're shield bashing all of your TP away instead of flashing or doing your actual threat combos. Don't use it unless you actually need to stun something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Brannock posted:

I played with a grognard tonight in Sohm Al who bragged about how he had never paid a single bit of attention to the story or script since 1.25.

There needs to be an MSQ involving a quiz that pools from several thousand questions of lore trivia relating to the main story, that in turn pools from several hundred questions with like eight randomly arranged answers, required to pass for progress.

It won't stop story-skippers, as there'll inevitably be a gameFAQ for answers somewhere, but it will irritate them, and anything that annoys people who hate the story in this game (as if there isn't enough that does that already) is good in my book.

On another note:

Is it just me or are Summoners kinda bonkers-good DPS right now? I'm leveling one, and the performance I'm getting out of it runs circles around my Machinist and Ninja. Not at 60 yet so maybe it's a different story then. Right now, I'm mostly grinding dungeons to fill XP gaps between quests, but it's especially noticeable when on the last boss in Aery, we're sitting and twiddling our thumbs for 5-10 seconds between waves during the add phase playing as SMN, but it's always much closer with others.

• Locked thread